Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone tried Chanel No. 5 Eau Première yet?

I just got a paper strip in a Macy's mailing. It smells lovely on paper! Very citrussy yet floral - sort of like a cross between Cristalle and No. 5, and maybe something orangey too. I'll have visit the mall so I can check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyone tried Chanel No. 5 Eau Première yet?

Yes, thanks to mimi pompom (aka journalista lady).
    On me it smells really fruity, but dries down quite vanilla-y, I really rather like it, it smells Chanel but doesn't seem distinctly No5 to me, but that could well be my skin.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't smell distinctly No. 5 on the scent strip either - but I never trust those. I know what you mean about it smelling identifiably "Chanel", though. It really does. Your description of it sounds nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a d****t of it from TPC, when it first came out, and I must say that to me it just smelled like a very watered down no 5. Not fruity to me. I thought it was a disappointment. Will try the new batch!

oh yes! i've been waiting for this one to come out for a year now! and my mother bought a full bottle in saks in NYC when we were up there. RAR!!! everyone be jacking my ideas!

anyway... it smells like a softer #5. it is really lovely. it seems like the aldehydes are stripped out, it gets right to the middle and basenotes (which is fine by me) still lasts, just not as loud as the original #5.

I wholeheartedly approve of it! :-)
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Post Thanks / Like

I would also describe it as a watery version of No 5, pretty much what it says on the tin. Wasn't wowed, will give it another go at some point. Maybe No 5, for better or worse, will forever be kick ass aldehydes and powder for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Years back Chanel made a "Voile" No.5 (that I loved) which sounds alot like what xdattax has described...I cannot wait to sniff this one!

I just tried it today and like it a lot. I'm glad I didn't get the fruity notes others described. I got more vanilla and woods. I love No. 5 edp, but it can be overpowering and not good for daytime use on me. So I'll get the Eau Premiere and save the original for evenings/special occasions.
    New to fragrances.
    Loves: Fracas, No. 5, Cristalle, Touch, Black Orchid, Une Rose, Carnal Flower, Tiptoeing Through Chambers of the Moon, The Exact Friction of Stars

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I LOVE it! It's Chanel No. 5 lite, with some citrus thrown in the top. The lite-ness of it allows the soft powdery notes to come through, which, on me, don't at all with the edp. It's definitely on my "to buy" list.

I'm curious though...did a bad batch get out there? I'm sensing that from musse's message, plus another on the male boards that mentioned it being pulled from the shelves.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its original release was meant to be for a limited time only. So, after its run was completed, it was no longer available. I don't think it was reformulated--only re-released.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I have pre purchased a bottle at Bloomies & will pick it up on the 23rd. The sample I tested went on very sweet, that's not so good for me. However, the drydown was fantastic! The only way I can explain this is that it seemed to be a combination of Chanel #5 edt (the one with the most sandalwood) & #19 edt with a little extra citrus. I've never enjoyed the #5 edp, too sweet for me. The edt is my preferred version of the fragrance. BUT.....I can definitely see myself wearing the EP during the cooler months, as a pick-me-up scent.
    "Not my cup of mud."
    Oscar the Grouch

Post Thanks / Like

It's fantastic. I have a decent-sized decant, but this is FBW. On me, it has the most gorgeous dry vanilla base. Love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, yes, yes! It is gorgeous! I went to the mall this afternoon and tested it. It has a lovely lemony-floral aspect with a smooth vanillic drydown - but it's not so literal as that. It's light and elegant, yet long lasting and luxe smelling, may be an ever so slight amount of spice to it (nutmeg or something?). I just love it. A new one to add to my wish list.

Post Thanks / Like

I see another side-by-side test coming on ....

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got a small sample at Nordstrom tonight-- the SAs said it had more ylang-ylang and jasmine.

I sprayed the back of my hand. Loved the way it smelled for about 20 minutes, great jasmine, very uplifting-- then I started to smell the ylang-ylang too much and it was a bit funky. (To me ylang-ylang smells a bit like rotting bananas, sweet and cloying.) Was disappointed and ignored it for a while as we shopped.

But later when sniffed it again, the funky note was gone and it smelled smooth and creamy and very, very well balanced. Not powdery at all.

Now it's some 5 hours later and it still smells yummy. Tomorrow I'll try the sample again.

$129 for 125 ml-- I hope they come out with a smaller bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a sample of this in a recent Barney's order. My girlfriend tried it yesterday afternoon and really liked it... I'm not actually very familiar with No. 5, so it was harder for me to compare to the original. This really was nice though... only slightly powdery on a light base of flowers and some touches of creamy fruits and citrus sparkle that we both really liked.
    I looked around online and all I could find was $125 for 5oz? Is 5oz a typo?
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not smelled this 'new' fomula, but when CN5EP came out a few months ago (before it was pulled from shelves) it smelled incredible. One of the first Chanel's for women that really piqued my curiosity. I could easily have worn that scent. I'm hoping the stuff on shelves now doesn't smell any different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have not smelled this 'new' fomula, but when CN5EP came out a few months ago (before it was pulled from shelves) it smelled incredible. One of the first Chanel's for women that really piqued my curiosity. I could easily have worn that scent. I'm hoping the stuff on shelves now doesn't smell any different.
    Mike, why was it pulled from the shelves?

Quote Originally Posted by xdattax View Post
    oh yes! i've been waiting for this one to come out for a year now! and my mother bought a full bottle in saks in NYC when we were up there. RAR!!! everyone be jacking my ideas!

anyway... it smells like a softer #5. it is really lovely. it seems like the aldehydes are stripped out, it gets right to the middle and basenotes (which is fine by me) still lasts, just not as loud as the original #5.

I wholeheartedly approve of it! :-)
    I just tried it this weekend. I agree with xdattax. It's softer than the EDT and EDP (which I do not like), with more sandalwood and easy on the aldehydes. It's very similiar to the parfum (which I love) and it's definitely a shadow of No5. Not sure it's full bottle worthy, but definitely a d*cant may be in order.

The SA tells me that the target market is the younger crowd, I'm not sure if I totally agree with that. Very wearable by this old lady (me!).
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I really like it. It comes across to me as a "Chanel No. 5 EDC". Very wearable. I did not think the longevity was very good though.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    More info here: http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...s_la.html#more

Bascially it was intended to be released in October 2007. When it was pre-released, I saw it (and smelled it) at Saks Fifth Avenue. They had bottles for sale (should've bought one!) but then they were all pulled and the release was postponed due to a 'technical fault' until now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    More info here: http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...s_la.html#more

Bascially it was intended to be released in October 2007. When it was pre-released, I saw it (and smelled it) at Saks Fifth Avenue. They had bottles for sale (should've bought one!) but then they were all pulled and the release was postponed due to a 'technical fault' until now.
    Thanks, Mike. "Technical fault"... Wonder what that means? Faulty sprayer? Or something scary?
    Last edited by lilybelle; 29th September 2008 at 07:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike. "Technical fault"... Wonder what that means? Faulty sprayer? Or something scary?
    A Chanel sales rep told me it was a problem with the bottle cap. She didn't go into detail.

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting that No. 5 Eau Premiere is an EDP not an EDT, so it is not inherently weak in terms of concentration.

In his online addendum to his perfume guide, Dr. Turin said it would make a tremendous masculine. I agree. I bought a bottle for myself and have worn this scent to work very comfortably.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    A Chanel sales rep told me it was a problem with the bottle cap. She didn't go into detail.
    Oh well, that's not so bad then.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    It's interesting that No. 5 Eau Premiere is an EDP not an EDT, so it is not inherently weak in terms of concentration.

In his online addendum to his perfume guide, Dr. Turin said it would make a tremendous masculine. I agree. I bought a bottle for myself and have worn this scent to work very comfortably.
    I totally agree. I would wear it also. I just don't need a 5oz bottle of it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love it. It is sparkling, fresh, and so beautiful. Yep, a softer version of No. 5 for me. Now, this, I can actually wear.

I first came accross Eau Premiere on a paper sample strip and loved the smell. I own chanel 5 EDP, which I find hard to wear during the daytime and sometimes so sharp that it gives me a headache.

I never buy based on the paper strip smell, so I went to Nordstrom and tried it on my skin. The scent takes about 10 minutes to develop, when you first spray it does smell like the regular chanel, but then it turns into a powdery floral with a hint of lemon which freshens the scent, but doesn't make it sharp. This perfume is by no means as loud as the original No. 5, so if you are one who likes the stronger scents this one might not be for you. With that said, although the perfume is not strong,it has a good lating power and siliage.

I would liken it to Kenzo flower, Noa (original), Narcisio Rodriguez EDP, but more flowery than any of those 3. I find this to be very wearable.

thanks to a friendly basenoter, I am sampling this one tonight.
    I am relieved that I am not reacting as passionately to it as I do to No. 5 in any of the other formulations.
    on first application, it reminded me of the body cream, it is a good deal sweeter, to my nose than either the edt or the parfum. I can't comment on the edp because I don't respond well to that version, I find the edp too overwhelming and even suffocating at times.
    then, I am almost embarrassed to say, the eau premiere reminded me of those little orange baby aspirins from when I was quite small.
    upon first sampling, I am not swooning, and as I say, I am very relieved.
    It is a nice scent. some could say lovely. but it is not my cup of tea. too much sugar, or in this case, saccharin.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

I may be mistaken, but what I heard was that there was a problem with the cap.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    on first application, it reminded me of the body cream,
    You are not the only one who's mentioned this. The SA at Saks told me that it reminded her of the body product of Chanel No. 5, I think it's called Body Sensuelle Lotion or something like that. It's like they took the accord from the ancillary products, and bottled it as a fragrance.

I want a bottle for Christmas!

The recent re-release is not as sweet and is a bit more lemony than the first release.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought Eau Premier this week and wore it for the first time yesterday. I do like it alot but my initial impression is that it smells exactly like the Collection Seduction Body Oil that they used to have in the large 400ml bottles. It also smells a lot like the No. 5 Collection Seduction Velvet Body Cream. I don't find Eau Premier to be long lasting on my skin. If you're short on cash and can find the Body Oil in the 400ml bottle it's probably the better purchase as the scent is quite lasting and strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I am almost embarrassed to say, the eau premiere reminded me of those little orange baby aspirins from when I was quite small.
    I got that too - a bit of orange flavored St. Joseph's Baby Aspirin. But I thought it developed into something soft and elegant. I also like No. 5 Sensual Elixir, but I think I like this one a little more.

I was handed a tester strip the other day, and I was quite impressed with it. To my nose, I don't think they tinkered too much with it, strange how I didn't pick up the more citrus aspects of it, but to my nose it smells smoother, less aldehydes, and half an octave lighter, and the masculine notes at the base have been cut (compared to the normal EdP), but nonetheless, unmistakably No. 5, but prettier! No blasphemy done to the fragrance at all. Very well done.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!