Code of Conduct

Default Underrated Montale's

Probably one of my favorite houses...There's so many great fragrances in this house that I wanted to see which ones are good, but don't get talked about that much on here so I know what to try.

From what I tried, I think Vanille Absolu is grossly underrated, as it is such a fine fragrance (dancing on the gender lines with the vanilla, but so what). Also, while patchouli leaves isn't particularly "underrated," It's an outstanding fragrance that doesn't often get the recognition that it truly deserves. I put a little on today from a sample, and it absolutely reminds me of what Christmas should smell like...brings back warm memories of wearing it on cold, rainy days last Christmas. I'll finally conclude with Golden Aoud. Once again, not really that underrated, but still an awesome scent somewhat along the lines of Lime Aoud that is extremely accessible.

Default Re: Underrated Montale's

Royal Oudh
    SandalSliver
    Musk to Musk
    White Musk
    Fougere Marines
    Oudh Ambre

to name a few......

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Long discontinued: Oud Pur Oriental. It was a beautiful blend of oud, frankincense, Egyptian balsam, labdanum, and amber. Montale should be horse-whipped for withdrawing it!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Aoud Oeillet D'Inde - A wonderful fresh fragrance

I think Musk to Musk is under-rated. It's a "quieter" Montale, not a blaster like Black Aoud. Among the aouds, Royal Aoud is not raved about often, but it's a real class act. So is Attar - which is actually one of the aouds, just not named so. Attar has a nose-stinging opening of aoud, but quickly settles down into its two main ingredients, a high-class rose and a deep sandalwood. In a strange way, Attar reminds me of vintage Miss Dior - which also revolved around a rose/sandalwood heart.

JaimeB - I remember reading that Montale was having problems obtaining one of the ingredients in Aoud Pur Oriental, or a high enough grade of it.

I love White Aoud and Aoud Flowers. Both dont get a whole lotta "air time" here on Basenotes.

I really like Crystal Flowers. The stand out in the Aromatic line for me, but it doesn't get much talk.

Post Re: Underrated Montale's

Seems to me that Montale gets it's fair share of love around here ( I don't think I've ever heard everso say this house sucks yet! ) At any rate here are a few of my un-sung heros...

Royal Aoud..Well blended with Citrus, and Rose notes
    Patchouli Leaves..Sits atop Vanilla, and Amber.
    Greyland..Woody, incense accords.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Roses Musk doesn't get the appreciation that it deserves. It's one of their strongest scents not in the Aoud lines (outside of a couple new releases that I dig )
    Last edited by jrd4t; 20th September 2008 at 01:55 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Dimitri I agree with you about the Aoud Flowers...I actually think I told you a while ago when you were trying the Montales that you would love Aoud Flowers. I thought that for sure it was something that would be too feminine for a man, given its name, but that wasn't the case at all. I also really like White Aoud as well, having tried it once at Parfum Raffy. I can definately see that there are quite a few Montales that i'll have to be trying really soon.

Montale have produced so many wonderful fragrances of superior quality in a short period that I find it impossible to even know them all. There are good perfumes outside their Kingdom, too. The more perfumes I own from any house (Guerlain, Creed, Patou, R&G) the pickier I get because new acquisitions bring lower additional value or even make older acquisitions obsolete. If Black Aoud didn't exist, I would perhaps brag more about Aoud Rose Petals. So, not even mentioning additional Montales these days must not mean I underestimate them.They are only in the shadow of my top favorites.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I do not think they are underrated... They are just throwing so many in so little time that we do not have time to talk about them -and we do talk alot abut montales- Many Aouds can be substituded with BA.
    Personaly, I think white musk and Roses Petals are excelent.
    Used to like sandflowers but then I discovered AQUA MOTU which is similar and cheaper.

Does anybody know of a cheaper alternative to White musk?

Definitely agree about Aoud Flowers but also Sweet Oriental Dream which, at first, comes across as too sweet. I first tried it a couple of years ago but felt it was too sweet and feminine for me. Maybe it was because I was more of a novice in those days but, after recently giving it another chance, I now love it and feel that it's possible for a man to pull off. I love Blue Amber but Sweet Oriental Dream is far sexier on my skin. A 50ml bottle (with added perfume) beckons...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Seems to me that Montale gets it's fair share of love around here ( I don't think I've ever heard everso say this house sucks yet! ) At any rate here are a few of my un-sung heros...

Royal Aoud..Well blended with Citrus, and Rose notes
    Patchouli Leaves..Sits atop Vanilla, and Amber.
    Greyland..Woody, incense accords.
    Montale doesn't suck....but Aoud is WAAAAAY overrated in my book. It still smells like those weird chewing nuts they have in india/pakistan-----supari. ick!

haha. sorry....don't mean to be negative

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Montale doesn't suck....but Aoud is WAAAAAY overrated in my book. It still smells like those weird chewing nuts they have in india/pakistan-----supari. ick!

haha. sorry....don't mean to be negative

I agree to the fact tht top notes may smell like "paan breath"...but the magic begins in its midnotes...the sillage of oudh with patchouli and leather exude such a vivd aura and a mirage of woods...tht nothing else comes close.....i wud request you to dab on black aoud or aoud lime on some fabric ..and smell it after 4 hours.....lemme know ur thoughts then...im not saying its horrible till this stage...but seems you cant shake of tht image associated back home...but once you experience this phase...im sure you would appreciate montale oudhs bit more Knizely...
    Last edited by jenson; 20th September 2008 at 06:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    I agree to the fact tht top notes may smell like "paan breath"...but the magic begins inits midnotes...the silla of oudh with patchouli and leather exude such a vivd aura and a mirage of woods...tht nothing comes close.....i wud request you to dab on some fabric with black aoud or aoud lime..and smell it after 4 hours.....lemme know ur thoughts then...im not saying its horrible till this stage...but seems you cant shake of tht image associated back home...but once you experience this phase...im sure you would appreciate montale oudhs bit more Knizely...
    i actually quite enjoyed Aoud Lime...until the lime wore off and my skin smelled like an old lady spit paan juice onto it! haha....i just can't shake the supari/paan scent of it....it even makes my stomach start doing something, as if i'm getting ready to eat some paan. very strong reactions.

i do love meetha paan though......i just can't handle it on my skin!

i am curious to try that new Leather Lime scent that Montale are releasing though.

I know Montale does get attention on BN but if I'm right, the house was completely ignored in the Turin/Sanchez guide. I think at least Black Aoud should have been reviewed.

Personally, outside of the Aoud line I find Jasmin Full to be one of the most elegant jasmine florals I've ever experienced, and I don't see it mentioned much. I think it's probably skewed to being a feminine fragrance, and there are more men than women on this forum, but I don't see it mentioned much on the female side either. There are a LOT of Montales, too, so maybe that adds to the lack of attention to some in the line.

I also think Aoud Cuir d'Arabie is a wonderful leather scent, and don't see it mentioned as much as some of the other leathers.

I'm looking forward to receiving my sample pack from vijay... many of which are the 'obscure' fragrance mentioned here. I'm particularly looking forward to Oriental Dream and Patchouli

Tried several other Montales today at a store. I agree about the Sweet Oriental Dream actually...ethereal and addictive would suit it well. I also really liked Greyland actually, until I kind of read the reviews and saw someone compare it to Gucci PH...A comparison that is extremely close.

I REALLY wanted to like their stuff...all the descriptions seemed right up my alley. When I tried them though (not all mind you), the seemed suffocating and cloying. Oh well...I guess you can't love everything. The bottles are great though!

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    I know Montale does get attention on BN but if I'm right, the house was completely ignored in the Turin/Sanchez guide. I think at least Black Aoud should have been reviewed.

Personally, outside of the Aoud line I find Jasmin Full to be one of the most elegant jasmine florals I've ever experienced, and I don't see it mentioned much. I think it's probably skewed to being a feminine fragrance, and there are more men than women on this forum, but I don't see it mentioned much on the female side either. There are a LOT of Montales, too, so maybe that adds to the lack of attention to some in the line.

I also think Aoud Cuir d'Arabie is a wonderful leather scent, and don't see it mentioned as much as some of the other leathers.

Some of the posts by the member Lucca Turin said that montale never sent any sample for them to review. For some reason, that seems ike a wise choice. I am not sure a critic would love their redundant use of Aoud and Roses.

I have yet to try even ONE Montale. I was going to try them back in June but figured it be best to wait until the colder months. This thread is great since now I'm looking at what to try.

Cheers,
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Definitely agree about Aoud Flowers but also Sweet Oriental Dream which, at first, comes across as too sweet. I first tried it a couple of years ago but felt it was too sweet and feminine for me. Maybe it was because I was more of a novice in those days but, after recently giving it another chance, I now love it and feel that it's possible for a man to pull off. I love Blue Amber but Sweet Oriental Dream is far sexier on my skin. A 50ml bottle (with added perfume) beckons...
    If you like Sweet Oriental Dream, also try:

Guerlain Shalimar
    Bond No.9 Chinatown
    Ginestet Botrytis
    Miller Harris Fleur Oriental

I personally have not had much luck with most Montales. They seem to be so fickle on my skin, and the oud really smells awful on me. The non-oud scents are hit and miss. I agree SOD is a good one, but it sure doesn't work for me!