Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Angel Men vs. the $1 Angel Men Clone

With the economy going the way it is, I decided to go the inverse of all the niche threads... instead of reviewing and comparing designer scents to the niche flavor of the week, why not compare it to the $1 made-in-China Dollar Tree clones, boldly going where no Basenoter has gone before?

So, when I was at Dollar Tree to buy some chewing gum and such, I noticed some Jean Phillipe designer fragrance clones, all selling for a buck for 2.5 ounces. There were clones of Polo Green, Tommy, Polo Blue, cK One, Lacoste Essential, Cool Water, and Angel Men. I skipped over all the others and went straight to the Angel Men clone (probably the most challenging), tossing it in the basket with the Chiclets, Certs, and the picture frame. I thought "what the heck, it's only a buck", and bought it. After I got home, I decided to wear the scents side-by-side.

First impression of the clone compared to the real juice: Despite the "Eau de Toilette Extreme Concentree" label on the packaging, the clone was more like a normal-strength EdT in strength. The clone has a fruity/lavender opening, but with the mint and aldehydes of the original replaced with a subtle industrial solvent note. That part lasted five minutes before giving way to the smell of Coppertone Water Babies sunscreen, again with a hint of industrial solvent. I kid you not... this must be how they cut their costs. On the other hand, the genuine article shows its burnt tar, chocolate, and coffee notes that make it famous. The good news for the penny-pinchers of the world is that the clone hasn't faded away yet.

The verdict: If you want to win friends and influence people, stick with the genuine article.This clone, while surprisingly OK for the $1 price, is not even close enough for the folks at Thierry Mugler headquarters in Paris (or even its US counterpart at 1 Park Avenue in NYC) to be shaking in their shoulderpads and latex boots. But all is not lost for the clone: it probably makes a good, cheap room spray or car freshener (or a decent starter "training wheels" fragrance for a 8-12 year old kid).

On a side note, Jean Phillipe, the maker of this Dollar Tree Angel Men clone, is owned by Inter Parfums, the same people who bring us Burberry, Lanvin, and Van Cleef & Arpels scents. Talk about working both ends of the spectrum...
    Last edited by MFfan310; 20th September 2008 at 01:12 AM.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

AromiErotici

Default Re: Angel Men vs. the $1 Angel Men Clone

I've bought them in the past....and yes, they're very adequate air fresheners for the car.

"Getting what you pay for" holds fairly true with frags ; or at least they do with me anyway. I am especially intrigued by the water babies accord in the heart. I believe I've been gyped in my past purchases.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With all the talk about some adulterated Chinese products in the news these days, I would like a complete, independent and accurate disclosure of what chemicals I was smelling before I smelled it.
    Last edited by kbe; 20th September 2008 at 02:34 AM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

I bought Ben Shermans 'Up Shirt Creek' for 5$ the other day, thinking that because they make nice clothes, the fragrance would be half decent.

Boy was I wrong. Its like spraying lemon essence on your skin. Think FCUK gone him, but more (!) synthetic. I wouldn't even use this stuff as a toilet spray.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    With all the talk about some adulterated Chinese products in the news these days, I would like a complete, independent and accurate disclosure of what chemicals I was smelling before I smelled it.
    The package said that although the finished product was made in China, the fragrance compounds themselves were made in the USA. (Is the cost of labor that much cheaper in China that they can ship the aromachemicals over and make finished juice there and ship it back than making the whole product in the States?)

Still, although I'm sure Jean Phillipe/Inter Parfums does spot checks on the juice, one can wonder what additional chemicals are in the juice...
    Last edited by MFfan310; 20th September 2008 at 02:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Basenoter who has gone there before. I no longer bother, as junk is junk.
    Far more satisfying is going through the sections of chemist/pharmacist stores containing the el cheapo no name/clone scents and spotting the occasional designer scent that's met an ignamonious end amongst them - like the $5 Fred Hayman ones, which are infinitely superior to the clones.

Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th September 2008 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Far more satisfying is going through the sections of chemist/pharmacist stores containing the el cheapo no name/clone scents and spotting the occasional designer scent that's met an ignamonious end amongst them - like the $5 Fred Hayman ones, which are infinitely superior to the clones.
    I agree. If one hunts, occasionally one will find a fantastic classic such as Bowling Green for less than US$5.

On the other hand, while the Dollar Tree frags are awful, the Walgreens ones are pretty good (and about US$11). The oils that you can get on the street in those little vials are often pretty good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    On a side note, Jean Phillipe, the maker of this Dollar Tree Angel Men clone, is owned by Inter Parfums, the same people who bring us Burberry, Lanvin, and Van Cleef & Arpels scents. Talk about working both ends of the spectrum...
    Now this is interesting information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Now this is interesting information.
    Indeed. I'm compelled to think that sometimes some bottles get mixed up and a scent intended for the $1 market ends up on the wrong side of the fence..

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Update, 12 hours later:

The clone is gone (and it probably vanished 6 hours ago, while I slept). But the real Angel Men, as always, is still there, and as potent as ever. Proof that you get what you pay for...
    Last edited by MFfan310; 20th September 2008 at 01:54 PM.

If you want a good clone or evil twin to Angel Men try this one -

PS check out the new Angel website with ...*sigh* Naomi Watts ...http://www.angel.thierrymugler.com/lang.php
    Last edited by scentimus; 20th September 2008 at 02:00 PM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Update, 12 hours later:

The clone is gone (and it probably vanished 6 hours ago, while I slept). But the real Angel Men, as always, is still there, and as potent as ever. Proof that you get what you pay for...
    As it should be..............