Code of Conduct

Default Joop City - Melbourne, Australia

You may recollect my posting a while back about how Joop Homme was suddenly being sold very cheaply down here - A$25 for a big 125ml bottle. It's now apparent that we have to live with the consequences.

On my floor at work I keep walking through ultra big whiffs of Joop Homme. I go downstairs through open areas and the main entrance and keep walking through monster engulfments of Joop in various directions (with never with any person around, that I can associate with it).

At lunch time yesterday, the wind had died down and I walked into the centre of the city from my office at the outskirts. As I kept walking along the big footpath past numerous smokers outside of bars and coffee places, or just sitting there having coffee and cigarettes, I just kept getting engulfed time after time by huge wafts of Joop Homme.

I didn't smell any other scent whatsoever during that walk - not even a woman's one.

This is what happens when the biggest sillage monster of all time is put very cheaply into the hands of the masses.

Luckily, I like Joop Homme.

But the thought kept crossing my mind as to what some of my esteemed fellow Basenoters would be thinking, if they were taking that lunch time walk there instead of me.

Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th September 2008 at 03:58 AM.

AromiErotici

Default Re: Joop City - Melbourne, Australia

Collateral damage is not g2g...

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Collateral damage is not g2g...
    I'm starting to think I might join them - why be part of the collateral damage when one can inflict it?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th September 2008 at 08:44 AM.

Same thing happens on the way to work in Perth. On the 10 minute walk from the train station to my work, I'll smell Joop! Homme and/or Aqua di Gio at least once, and most days 2-3 times.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I would love to visit that city !

The same is true in the town were I live but instead it is a problem with the women of the area. Angel..Angel..Angel. It is being pushed so hard here that every woman is wearing and some not so lightly.

Just last night I could not take being in Macys I thought I was going to vomit. The had a huge kick ass display of Angel and four woman spraying everyone with it - ugh.

Sur la Plage

Hey, at least they are wearing a fragrance. I am sure there are/could be worse smells in the city.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I would move...

well my college is covered in boys wearing issey miyake. its amazing because its literally all they wear and you can smell it whereever you go. its like a contest to who can wear the most and that can be annoying because you have dudes wearing like 25 sprays. it really is amazing because except for me thats all you can smell all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Same thing happens on the way to work in Perth. On the 10 minute walk from the train station to my work, I'll smell Joop! Homme and/or Aqua di Gio at least once, and most days 2-3 times.
    Well, yours is the rich state of Australia nowadays - Aqua di Gio I've yet to ever see going cheap anywhere. I guess they just like it a lot over in the West.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I would love to visit that city !

The same is true in the town were I live but instead it is a problem with the women of the area. Angel..Angel..Angel. It is being pushed so hard here that every woman is wearing and some not so lightly.

Just last night I could not take being in Macys I thought I was going to vomit. The had a huge kick ass display of Angel and four woman spraying everyone with it - ugh.
    I only smell Angel once every month or two, and it certainly stands out. It can certainly be overpowering when one woman wears it, so I can only imagine the effect with multiple women getting stuck into it.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Hey, at least they are wearing a fragrance. I am sure there are/could be worse smells in the city.
    True, they could all instead be wearing the really cheap scent that's always on sale down here - Quorum.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I would move...
    Drastic, but kind of understandable.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by avfcdamian92 View Post
    well my college is covered in boys wearing issey miyake. its amazing because its literally all they wear and you can smell it whereever you go. its like a contest to who can wear the most and that can be annoying because you have dudes wearing like 25 sprays. it really is amazing because except for me thats all you can smell all day.
    Perhaps you can make it less popular by spreading the rumour that some of them are cheating and wearing the much less expensive, but very similar smelling, Fujiyama Homme.
    Renato

Mmmm I love Joop! Homme.

Where are you seeing it for $25? The cheapest I've seen it is for $45.95 in Sydney.
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post
    Mmmm I love Joop! Homme.

Where are you seeing it for $25? The cheapest I've seen it is for $45.95 in Sydney.
    Briefly the big bottle was that price at a local chemist (Terry Whites) although it was $30 at My Chemist for a while, and Priceline had the gift pack with the big bottle of EDT and big bottle of Aftershave splash (which is as good as most other scents' EDT versions) for $40 - though it's now gone back to $50.
    Renato

They have been and still are selling Joop for less than $50 here in Adelaide. I am sure that a colleague of mine bought a bottle because I could smell his Joop from my office, which is about 60-70 meters fron his. Serioiusly!

I've been given a sample of Joop - is this the fragrance with the pink juice?

I had bought it's shower gel some time ago and the shower gel was simply wonderful - it looked and smelt like a nice rich caramel and vanilla. I'm not too keen on the fragrance though.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I used to have a colleague who used to project Joop! in a two-metre radius. It was actually quite pleasant to be honest. Perhaps because his personality was such that his Joop! never aggravated / amplified a pushiness, brashness or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by renperd View Post
    I used to have a colleague who used to project Joop! in a two-metre radius. It was actually quite pleasant to be honest. Perhaps because his personality was such that his Joop! never aggravated / amplified a pushiness, brashness or anything like that.
    Same here ! That juice really projects well, but I think my co-worker may have out like 6 sprays. I dislike Joop! Homme, but the smell is somewhat pleasant.

The only problem is that my co-worker wore the same scent every single day.

Totally gross.

Am I the only one who almost never smells fragrances on other people? I've only noticed other people's fragrances about six times in the last six months - 5 were women in elevators wearing strong perfume, and one guy wearing too much Drakkar. Conversely, I receive almost no comments on my fragrances (about 4 comments in 6 months), but I'm pretty sure people in Texas aren't necessarily the types to comment on a stranger's fragrance.

I was in Melbourne last week (went to watch wicked. thoroughly enjoyed it! great set), walking around I know exactly what you mean. Joop! everywhere. I was gagging, and my friend that I was with commented that it smells like "the night bus" - the bus you catch home from town where everyone is drunk and the main people on it are blokes that are coated in Joop! and JPG.
    Not good. Was speaking to one of the fragrance girls in David Jones (absolutely lovely girl, but was getting a bit pushy on a sale when I didn't really like the fragrance - Dirty English) and she was saying that Joop was the most popular fragrance down there. I'd hate to be there in summer if that's the case, glad it's only spring!!

I have never tried Joop, maybe because it has this image of being a real cheap and gaudy cologne; I have no idea if this is true, but everyone always makes fun of it. I remember I went to see a Tyson fight a long while back with my Dad at his friend's house and one of the guys had on Joop, OMG I felt so bad for him because they kept bothering and making fun of him. They were all friends so it was nothing mean or vindictive, just playful kidding, but that seems to be how it is; guys who wear Joop get no respect, no repsect I tell ya!
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd September 2008 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scensation View Post
    They have been and still are selling Joop for less than $50 here in Adelaide. I am sure that a colleague of mine bought a bottle because I could smell his Joop from my office, which is about 60-70 meters fron his. Serioiusly!
    I know you're serious. It has serious strength and sillage.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    I've been given a sample of Joop - is this the fragrance with the pink juice?

I had bought it's shower gel some time ago and the shower gel was simply wonderful - it looked and smelt like a nice rich caramel and vanilla. I'm not too keen on the fragrance though.
    How can you like the gel but not the scent - it's the same stuff, just toned down a bit. Perhaps you'd like it more if you used the spray in the air and walk through technique, which tones it down.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by renperd View Post
    I'd find it hard to take anyone seriously if they wore Joop Homme in a business situation - it's a party scent - meant to stand out in a smokey nightclub (shame they don't exist here anymore).
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Totally gross.

Am I the only one who almost never smells fragrances on other people? I've only noticed other people's fragrances about six times in the last six months - 5 were women in elevators wearing strong perfume, and one guy wearing too much Drakkar. Conversely, I receive almost no comments on my fragrances (about 4 comments in 6 months), but I'm pretty sure people in Texas aren't necessarily the types to comment on a stranger's fragrance.
    No, yours would be pretty much the same experience as mine until our recent Joop sale.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Briefly the big bottle was that price at a local chemist (Terry Whites) although it was $30 at My Chemist for a while, and Priceline had the gift pack with the big bottle of EDT and big bottle of Aftershave splash (which is as good as most other scents' EDT versions) for $40 - though it's now gone back to $50.
    Renato
    They should double the price ! to help save the enviroment

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    I was in Melbourne last week (went to watch wicked. thoroughly enjoyed it! great set), walking around I know exactly what you mean. Joop! everywhere. I was gagging, and my friend that I was with commented that it smells like "the night bus" - the bus you catch home from town where everyone is drunk and the main people on it are blokes that are coated in Joop! and JPG.
    Not good. Was speaking to one of the fragrance girls in David Jones (absolutely lovely girl, but was getting a bit pushy on a sale when I didn't really like the fragrance - Dirty English) and she was saying that Joop was the most popular fragrance down there. I'd hate to be there in summer if that's the case, glad it's only spring!!
    Glad you got to savour the experience - I've never encountered it in any other country.

However, I now think it's more prevalent on Fridays and the weekend as people seem to wear it to work before going out to pubs after work. Today (Tuesday) I walked into the centre of the city using the other main street and didn't smell any Joop at all - until I turned into Swanston Walk and got a Joop assault from a suited guy yapping into his cell phone.

Now that I think about it, JPG was everywhere for a while about four years ago.

Would it surprise you to learn that Joop has been among the biggest sellers down here pretty much from its inception? It's only recently that the amount of shelf space devoted to it has dropped off - but the other big seller is still maintaining it (Aramis - but I never smell it around the place, even though its projection ability rivals Joop).
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 23rd September 2008 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    I have never tried Joop, maybe because it has this image of being a real cheap and gaudy cologne; I have no idea if this is true, but everyone always makes fun of it. I remember I went to see a Tyson fight a long while back with my Dad at his friend's house and one of the guys had on Joop, OMG I felt so bad for him because they kept bothering and making fun of him. They were all friends so it was nothing mean or vindictive, just playful kidding, but that seems to be how it is; guys who wear Joop get no respect, no repsect I tell ya!
    Everyone may make fun of it - here - but I've observed too many women checking it out in stores, getting very pleasant looks on their faces, and paying full price for it for their men.

Women who frequent nightclubs may well and truly be heartily sick of it, but I suspect that the rest remain very vulnerable to its charm. It would be foolish to ignore it as part of an effective arsenal.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    They should double the price ! to help save the enviroment
    I made a mistake - they took the price back to $60 for the EDT and aftershave splash set at Priceline.

I'd have thought that since Joop can last up to 5 days in one's clothes, Joop would be better for the environment as one wouldn't have to use as many other EDTs in the course of the week. Or soap, shower water and laundry detergent for that matter - one doesn't really have to engage in any sort of hygenic activity, as Joop totally swamps out any unsavoury odors - maybe we should think of it as a washing machine in a bottle?

Renato

How can you like the gel but not the scent - it's the same stuff, just toned down a bit. Perhaps you'd like it more if you used the spray in the air and walk through technique, which tones it down.
    Renato
    The shower gel smells warm and caramel like with a slight hint of vanilla. The scent is sickly sweet, overpowering, and rather too feminine on me... maybe it's a matter of skin chemistry.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Hey Renato ...
    Its all fresh air here west of the Blue Mts near Mt Panorama , & I mean really crisp & clean !
    Even Joop doesn't stand a chance here !! .. with only the occasional whiff of kangaroo or koala dung if your in the wrong spot .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Hey Renato ...
    Its all fresh air here west of the Blue Mts near Mt Panorama , & I mean really crisp & clean !
    Even Joop doesn't stand a chance here !! .. with only the occasional whiff of kangaroo or koala dung if your in the wrong spot .
    I've been through there a few times when I went to Lithgow in the middle of winter. "Crisp & Clean" is an understatement.
    Renato

No, yours would be pretty much the same experience as mine until our recent Joop sale.
    Renato
    I did have a guy tell me I smelled like cigar smoke 3 weeks ago ( I was wearing Burberry London )

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I did have a guy tell me I smelled like cigar smoke 3 weeks ago ( I was wearing Burberry London )
    Unfortunately, it's our bane to have to deal with the olfactorily challenged.

Talking of which, there was some seminar in the ground floor of my work place today - and I'm pretty sure it was only one guy - but his Joop pervaded the entire place (entrance/corridor/eating area/ toilet area).

I liked Joop till about two days ago, but now it's starting to get on my nerves.
    Renato

I can imagine how seedy, greasy guys in a nightclub wearing Joop! Homme would give it a bad name. I think I'd go off it too!

... but lucky I'm not a nightclub dweller - and I don't smell it on many men, so I love it! It has the best sillage!
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post
    I can imagine how seedy, greasy guys in a nightclub wearing Joop! Homme would give it a bad name. I think I'd go off it too!

... but lucky I'm not a nightclub dweller - and I don't smell it on many men, so I love it! It has the best sillage!
    The opinion I got from my female friend (who used to frequent those venues a lot) wasn't about the guys wearing Joop being seedy or greasy, rather that it was just that Joop Homme had been so done to death in that environment.
    Renato

Smile Re: Joop City - Melbourne, Australia

Let's see the glass as half-full. Right next to the Joop monster on the shelve I was able to pick up Fahrenheit for $40AUD. It's true that some fragrances should be worn in moderation if at all :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Let's see the glass as half-full. Right next to the Joop monster on the shelve I was able to pick up Fahrenheit for $40AUD. It's true that some fragrances should be worn in moderation if at all :-)
    If that was a 100ml bottle of Fahrenheit, congratulations - you've equalled the cheapest price I've ever seen for it down here. I picked up plastic 50ml travel bottles of it for $20 each, many years ago.
    Renato

Everyone may make fun of it - here - but I've observed too many women checking it out in stores, getting very pleasant looks on their faces, and paying full price for it for their men.

Women who frequent nightclubs may well and truly be heartily sick of it, but I suspect that the rest remain very vulnerable to its charm. It would be foolish to ignore it as part of an effective arsenal.
    Renato
    Oh yes. I love the stuff.
    Although now, I tend to associate it with my brother, since it's his sig. It's my own fault, as I bought him his first bottle.
    Still smells good though.
    Last edited by leffleur; 25th September 2008 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leffleur View Post
    Oh yes. I love the stuff.
    Although now, I tend to associate it with my brother, since it's his sig. It's my own fault, as I bought him his first bottle.
    Still smells good though.
    Look at the bright side.
    It increases your chances of one day getting a more like minded and agreeable sister-in-law.
    Renato