Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: What are your most feared scrubbers?

For the record, I've said many times that I think Aromatics Elixir is the most beautiful fragranace ever created. It can be hard to wear, and usually smells better at a distance than to the wearer.

I also like Bill Blass Nude, and considered making it my daytime "signature" (but I'm too fickle). However, I feel its my duty to give a home to unwanted bottles :-)

While I generally like Estee Lauder fragrances, several recent ones are scrubbers for me: Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, Bronze Goddess, and the new Sensuous.

BTW, I'm wearing Knowing today, and it is wonderful in small doses.
    Last edited by Perfume_Addict; 21st September 2008 at 03:30 AM.

Interesting thread, VM! There are two categories of fragrances that make me feel ill:

1. Certain strongly aldehydic perfumes, like Chanel Nos. 5 & 22, Creed Fleurissimo, and Malle Iris Poudre. I suppose if I stuck with them, maybe they'd be OK, but I just can't get past the openings.

2. Very sweet florals. I recently tried Drole de Rose and Lipstick Rose, and they made me feel nauseated. Not sure if it's the ultra-sweet violets (I love violets, usually!), the berry notes, or what. The very sweet Missoni also upset my tummy, but I'm going to try it again. It sounds so delicious on paper!

Re: Tuberose. I loathed it until Carnal Flower (sorry for the redundancy with my HG thread). Give it another try in time. My recent conversion has blown my mind about previous scrubbers.

Nude: I still want to like this. What am I missing?

Knowing: Same thing--I have to try it in micro-doses I think.

Angel: I'm thinking trying it in lotion form may allow me to avoid scrubbing.

All in all, scrubbers may become loves--I'm willing, because I've seen it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    Nude: I still want to like this. What am I missing?
    Nude is unique in the way it includes characteristics of several fragrance categories: green, aldehydic, musky, mossy. While it has a very floral heart, its the combination of those four catagories that makes it interesting to me. The aldehydes give it lift and effervescence, while the musk keeps it grounded and closer to the skin - the two balance eachother. Plus, I like the classical floral heart: rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang. It just works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    BlackCat - I am most dreadfully sorry for dissing your Amoureuse, for I was well aware of your attachment to it and even considered leaving it out of my hit list for this reason. But authorial integrity prevailed!
    No worries, VMIhc!

Amoureuse is a very strong frag, and, if it went wrong on someone, I could see it going really wrong. (Like the poem about the little girl with the little curl right in the middle of her forehead. . . .)
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Trussardi Light Him
    Jasper Conran Mister
    Joop! Homme
    Agree with above three and add:
    Versace Dreamer
    Zino
    Live Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Amoureuse is a very strong frag, and, if it went wrong on someone, I could see it going really wrong.
    I think that is what it is, for when I first put it on, I thought to myself: "This is going to be lush and rich and amazing", like a green coloured Amouage Gold. I can tell you that several people have recoiled from me during these testing attempts, so it plainly does go horribly wrong on me. Having recently conducted a three-way series of wrist to wrist comparisons with two female friends of the same scents, I am totally convinced of the important role of "skin physics" (LT doesn't like the word "chemistry" being used here!). This was further supported in the recent "Who's a sweetie?" thread.

Additionally there is the whole business of our nasal receptors all picking up on different things - people who are anosmic to musks, and people like me, who, according to Redneck Perfumista, may well be "hypernosmic" to specific synthetic musks, in my case civet. Civet never bothered me in the 80's in things like Magie Noire or Paloma Picasso or Ysatis, so RP reckons they may have had a reformulation of the civet since then into something profoundly distasteful to my nose. Because I still like the rest of those perfumes, so to speak!

According to the scientific paper to which he gave me the link, only 6% of people have this magnified sensitivity to civet musks. It is really quite annoying as there are many perfumes with civet which are classics, and which I admire on paper and would like to be able to appreciate. I thought I was the cat's pyjamas wearing Magie Noire in the 80's and now I cannot go near it. So even before we get to the matter of personal taste, there are these two prior variables / hurdles in the perfume preference equation of skin and nose!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 21st September 2008 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    Lou Lou was a scrubber years ago and now I love it. Eden too, and Jungle L'Elephant. Beware of changing tastes...you never know if today's scrubber becomes tomorrow's love.
    That's a very interesting point - for me, I must confess Loulou is a "reverse scrubber" ie I loved it when it came out, and can't abide it now, and in fact forgot to put it on the list.

I don't think I have come to love any out and out scrubbers later in life, but I have done major 180s with scents in that category just below scrubbers of "strong dislikes that stop short of producing physical responses of revulsion such as gagging, headaches and nausea".

For me this next level down includes a number of problematic, but crucially non-indolic (indoles also = scrubbers) "heady white florals" like Marc Jacobs, Diptyque Olene and Chantecaille Frangipani. Although I have a troubled relationship with tuberose, I have managed to strike an entente cordiale with certain tuberose-based perfumes such as Fracas and EL PC Tuberose Gardenia. TG, for the record, was a total scrubber on a friend, so I can understand those who cited it as a "no go".

Also on this level are many of your fruity florals - both the heady, sometimes sticky ones like Amor Amor and Delices de Cartier, and the sweet, yet curiously watery and anaemic ones like Ghost Cherish and Ralph Lauren Eau Fraiche. Actually, I am not sure I have come round to any in that category that I didn't originally like, but never say never!

Great thread, VM I hate civet!

It's really interesting to see what works for some but not for others, and some of the descriptions given here are priceless

Here are a few of my offenders:

Alexander McQueen's Kingdom. A sweaty jockstrap would be putting it nicely.
    Carolina Herrera: Woah! Gag on contact! Were I to wear this, I'd be issued with an Anti-social Behaviour Order.
    Je Reviens: Makes me smell like a lichen-covered pissoir.
    Chance: cloying, turns me instantly into a peevish adolescent.
    JPG Classique: stale bonbons and fermenting soft fruit
    Femme: chicken tikka masala (and I seriously *love* this perfume )

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Femme: chicken tikka masala (and I seriously *love* this perfume )
    I don't doubt that you do, Soirdelune, for CTM is officially Britain's favourite dish!

May I also infer that you like Soir de Lune (by Sisley - in case there is more than one!)

[QUOTE=soirdelune;1312992]
    Je Reviens: Makes me smell like a lichen-covered pissoir.

"Lichen-covered" is good - we are liking your eye for detail. This isn't any old urinal we are talking about.

Je Reviens: Makes me smell like a lichen-covered pissoir
    Sorry, still getting the hang of this quoting business.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 21st September 2008 at 12:56 PM.

Yes, my dear VM, I adore Sisley's Soir de Lune, it's my daytime signature -- hence the narcissistic moniker. I also love its big evening sister, Eau du Soir.

LT gave both scents one star in his Guide -- he seems almost to have a pathological hatred of all things Sisley. That makes me rather sad, but doesn't undermine my choices. These perfumes smell lovely on me -- whereas Kingdom doesn't!

I guess we could re-appraise Rochas' Chicken Tikka Masala as a new gourmand?

I adore Sisley's Soir de Lune, it's my daytime signature -- hence the narcissistic moniker......I guess we could re-appraise Rochas' Chicken Tikka Masala as a new gourmand?
    "Narcissistic"? - not at all. I was aware of the LT rating, which I agree is harsh, so SdL deserves all the PR it can muster.

Rochas Chicken Tikka Masala can indeed be a new gourmand. And the 50ml size should come with free poppadums.

The only fragrances I really dislike so far are:

Diptyque Oyedo
    Guess/Marciano
    Hugo Boss/Hugo Women (gives me a headache)
    Serge Lutens Miel d'Bois

Oh my gosh...SakeCat22 I hate Regina Harris Amber Vanilla also! It turns to 3 day old roast turkey on my skin. Ghastly!
    Eau de Vie Almond--artificial awfulness.
    French West Indies Coco and Caramel. Both smell nothing like anything found in the natural world. (Martian sewage gasses!)
    Amandes Orientales: 3 months without a bath homeless person.
    The Heart is Deceitful: High grade pot oil, then urine.

Just to name a few....

Serge Lutens' Miel de Bois was horrendous on me.

Tuberose in general has been unwearable, although lushsoup's 180 has me wondering about Carnal Flower now.
    Sniff and let sniff.

What a great thread! (Who can convince SMM to compile stats? ).

I'm one of those people who turn fragrances sweet and amplify vanilla and amber. I also get headaches from certain/too many aldehydes and synthetics. That might explain some of my scrubbers.

All of these I've tried on & had to scrub off (and either made me nauseous or gave me a headache):

Jungle L'Elephant (they've poured in one particular synthetic material with abandon and it's all I can smell. Too much of).

Angel (There are some wearers of this on whom the scent becomes pretty or interesting. On me - sickly sweet, cloying horror).

Wrappings

Aromatics Elixir

Youth Dew

Midnight Star by Neil Morris (The aldehydes in this are like a big red migraine button for me, unfortunately).

Bigarade Concentrée (Got this as part of the minis kit, absolutely doesn't suit me and smells very, very sour and sweaty).

En Passant (Some may adore this - alas, I get dead flowers in a vase of stagnant water).

And, I'm sad about this one, but Fracas. (I have a love-hate thing with Tuberose. In some fragrances I can't get enough of it & have several Tuberose scents in my 'drobe; in others, it's awfully nauseating. Fracas is the latter. A small disclaimer: I've smelled Fracas on others and in some cases it's very good and makes me want to try it again. But no, it just doesn't work for me at all. It makes me feel ill).

Eau Du Soir by Sisley. (I'm so sorry for Sisley lovers, but for me, this scent is a horrid, horrid, instant headache).

Paul Smith London. (I don't know what happened; bought it one winter, wore it for a couple of months and presumably liked it... recently threw my bottle away because I knew I'd never, ever wear it again. It turns my stomach. Too sweet).

P.S. there are a couple of scrubbers on others' lists that I'll gladly take off your hands! Ambre Sultan, Rochas Femme and 24 Faubourg just for starters!

Without a doubt, the absolute worst scrubber for me was Etat Libre d'Orange Secretions Magnifique. It is beyond description--smells "bad" and is nausea inducing. I must add, it was a difficult one to get off the skin. Having recently tried Montale Red Oud, I was thinking maybe it was a mis-match of ozone and oud notes. However, on further reflection, Red Oud actually reminds me of the disgusting Secretions Magnifique. Red Oud was also difficult to remove.

Next down in intense reactions--I get an ammonia note from some fragrances. I don't know what it is, but it practically sears the inside of my nose and sinuses when I smell these fragrances. I have found that some have a tolerable amount, but these are the ones I have tried so far that are asphyxiating:

Juicy Couture Dirty English
    Caron Pour un Homme
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
    Bois 1920 1920 Extreme
    Parfum d'Empire Iskander
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair

Next in degree of "scrubworthyness" are the ones which elicit headaches or allergy-type reactions. I haven't been keeping good track of actual scents, but here are a few:

Anything by Avon
    Anything by Yves Rocher
    Narciso Rodrigues for Her
    Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely
    Anything by Andy Tauer
    Terre d'Hermes
    Anything by Escentric
    Fragrances that use cheap or synthetic patchouli (or some accord that uses patchouli with synthetics)--an example is Angel

Finally, there are the ones that are decent except for some nauseating note. My latest dislike is the red cinnamon candle wax / floor wax that I smell in many fragrances which are meant to be spicy. Again, the list is not comprehensive:

Estee Lauder Sensuous
    Lancome Magnifique
    Anything by Dyptique (except Philosykos)
    Dior Dolce Vita
    Lancome Cuir
    Kenzo Jungle Elephant
    Kenzo Amour Indian Holi
    Last edited by Asha; 21st September 2008 at 04:08 PM.

LedByMyNose, I apologise for my chemistry which does not seem to agree with Blu. I have tried very hard to like Blu since I collect tuberose frags and would have loved to add it to my wardrobe. Unfortunately I only have a small sample of Blu so it's not worth you adopting it.
    Last edited by chengfun; 21st September 2008 at 04:33 PM.

Stéphanie de St-Aignan Amande Honorable. Poo-ey.
    Poison & flankers.. all of them give me a headache. What's in them?

Oh god, forgot Miel du Bois. Horror. Not so much because of the infamous incontinent cat-note many get, but because I do. Not. Like. Honey. At all. And it's a true honey-fest.

Also, everything with a prominent cedar note. Dyptique Tam Dao, and above all, D&G Light Blue. Keep it awaaaaaay I tell you.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 21st September 2008 at 05:08 PM.

Chengfun - my offense was in jest. I call myself a tuberose lover but, as someone else mentioned, Fracas is a no-go for me as well. Cloying.

Veuve Amiot, I have a sample of Amande Honorable on the way, it sounded rather fab in the write-up, so we'll see...
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

I hope I did not put you off it.

I got a sample too, after reading a glowing review of another Basenoter and having it recommended when looking for almond scents. Good news: it works on others - so the problem may well be my chemistry.
    Hope it works for you!

And now, I am inspired to start another thread.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Rochas Chicken Tikka Masala can indeed be a new gourmand. And the 50ml size should come with free poppadums.
    LOL, VM! You are making me hungry for Indian food.

I'm loving the descriptions in this thread. Let me add Youth Dew to my scrub-worthy list of fragrances. Also Musk Ravageur. I loved it at first, but it was just too much heavy sweetness in the final analysis.

How sad to hear that my beloved En Passant disappointed you, Nukapai! LedByMyNose and veuveamiot, I really like Amande Honorable.

Shocking is my number 1 favourite perfume - and I don't get civet from it, I get honey
    Amarige is a perfume I once got married in
    Anais Anais is a perfume I wore almost excusively for several years - I don't wear it now, as I find it powdery
    I dunno. I think a lot of your scrubbers would find themselves very much at home on my dressing table and on my skin. It just goes to show how different we all are. Number 1 scrubber for me would be Angel - and yet, this one is immensely popular. Likewise, Boudoir...I couldn't even get out of the shop wearing that, it HAD to come off. Even after I'd scrubbed it off, the memory lingered and made me feel ill. Perfumes are so very visceral in their effect, aren't they?
    Last edited by Clemmie; 22nd September 2008 at 09:11 AM.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Angel. I thought I was going to be sick when I tried the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    Shocking is my number 1 favourite perfume - and I don't get civet from it, I get honey
    Amarige is a perfume I once got married in
    Anais Anais is a perfume I wore almost excusively for several years - I don't wear it now, as I find it powdery
    I dunno. I think a lot of your scrubbers would find themselves very much at home on my dressing table and on my skin. It just goes to show how different we all are. Number 1 scrubber for me would be Angel - and yet, this one is immensely popular. Likewise, Boudoir...I couldn't even get out of the shop wearing that, it HAD to come off. Even after I'd scrubbed it off, the memory lingered and made me feel ill. Perfumes are so very visceral in their effect, aren't they?
    Well, Clemmie, the issue I have with civet is frankly a nuisance, as it screens out so many classic greats. I liken my nose to that stuff "luminol" they use on those forensic detective programmes you get on Sky which shows up blood at crime scenes not visible to the naked eye. We agree on Boudoir though - it was memorable for its pyrotechnics, I will give it that - things fizzing and popping all over the shop, and none of them particularly nice! I have a mini of Amarige that could wing its way up to Glasgow any time you like - and one of "Amarige Mariage", funnily enough!

Well, Clemmie, the issue I have with civet is frankly a nuisance, as it screens out so many classic greats. I liken my nose to that stuff "luminol" they use on those forensic detective programmes you get on Sky which shows up blood at crime scenes not visible to the naked eye. We agree on Boudoir though - it was memorable for its pyrotechnics, I will give it that - things fizzing and popping all over the shop, and none of them particularly nice! I have a mini of Amarige that could wing its way up to Glasgow any time you like - and one of "Amarige Mariage", funnily enough!
    Boudoir smelled like dirty knickers to me. My daughter found it even worse, and said to her it smelled of dick cheese (pardon the expression!). Either way, genitalia came to mind, and not in a good way. :-O
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Clemmie, I love it that your daughter can say "dick cheese" to you.

That's all. XD