Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: What are your most feared scrubbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Clemmie, I love it that your daughter can say "dick cheese" to you.

That's all. XD
    Yeah, we're pretty close. Sometimes she tells me WAAAY too much. <gulp>
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

That's just awesome

Unhappy Re: What are your most feared scrubbers?

SL Rahat Loukoum
    Sunflowers
    Dune
    Diva
    Blonde
    Je Reviens
    Ysatis
    There are more, but my mind has gone blank!

Post Thanks / Like

Angel. And some hugely indolic fake-y fake jasmine by Floris -- it took liquid Tide to get that one off my skin. Annick Goutal Sables, although I'll have to give that one another chance once the weather cools off some more. And I'm having a problem with Bond No. 9's Chinatown, which I got in a swap recently, but is sweet, sweet, sweet on my skin -- going to give that another chance, too.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by PB101 View Post
    Angel. And some hugely indolic fake-y fake jasmine by Floris -- it took liquid Tide to get that one off my skin. Annick Goutal Sables, although I'll have to give that one another chance once the weather cools off some more. And I'm having a problem with Bond No. 9's Chinatown, which I got in a swap recently, but is sweet, sweet, sweet on my skin -- going to give that another chance, too.
    I was really disappointed with Chinatown. I wanted a strong fragrance with tons of sillage - so I tried that, and yeah, it was both, but god I couldn't stand it and I couldn't get rid! It's annoying that the strong, heavy-sillage ones are often unpleasant.
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

I think Chinatown is worth persisting with - very gingerly mind! I hated it on card, wasn't too struck with it the first couple of times on skin, but one day it just worked for some reason, and it was impressive as gourmands go. Maybe the dosage has to be spot on. So I would apply it sparingly and wait a fair while before sniffing! Possibly several hours...
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Cabochard.
    EEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUURRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
    And the blasted stuff sticks to my skin like glue.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much, Wordbird, for the heads up on Cabochard. It is one I have been toying with trying, for like Guerlain Vetiver, it came into the world in the same year as me. It got a slating in The Guide, and whilst that alone would not have stifled my curiosity, your exclamatory capitals have killed it stone dead .

Post Thanks / Like

Personal notes from "perfume reviews.txt"

-Neil Morris - Afire - smells like tandori spices. Supposed to be berries and caramel but if its caramel, it's in the same way as "Safran brulant" which was gourmand, but disgusting due to smelling more like cooking spices than dessert.

-Artisan Parfumeur - Piment Brûlant - Bell pepper, it makes me sick after a few minutes.

-CB I Hate Perfume - In the Summer Kitchen - smells like a summer kitchen garbage can with old banana peels in it, and spices. Don't like it at all.

CB I Hate Perfume - CB 93 - Disgusting! Smells like herbs and spices, some that stink. Says geranium, but I dunno what that is.

-Creed - Millesime Imperial (horrible, just horrible)

I'd like to add that at first, Coup de Fouet and Anarchiste, both from Caron, seemed like scrubbers... but I forced myself to wear them and ended up loving them. I find them kinky.

I have never had such an extreme aversion to a fragrance when I tried Jicky , it literally made me feel physically sick , now I dont know if that makes me a philistine in the world of fragrance , I so wanted to like it too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I have never had such an extreme aversion to a fragrance when I tried Jicky , it literally made me feel physically sick , now I dont know if that makes me a philistine in the world of fragrance , I so wanted to like it too
    If you're a philistine, that makes two of us - Jicky for me was "lavender civet", alas!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love this thread! Misery loves company....

I got a horrid headache today shortly after spraying on Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica, newly purchased unsniffed (silly me.) Tried scrubbing but it wouldn't come off entirely. Could something else have been giving me the headache and maybe that's why the scent hit me the wrong way?

I must be a glutton for punishment, but I'm giving it one more chance tomorrow.

If that produces the same result, the bottle will need to find a new home.

Post Thanks / Like

I do feel your pain here...

I had a new scrubber experience today, though it was only a tester squirt on the back of the hand - of DKNY Woman. I was going to characterise it as "malevolent grapefruit" but I am going to regrade it as "grapefruit serial killer" for the fact that it killed my divine sample of Chanel Beige (further round the hand) stone dead. A grapefruit version of Beige is not what the world needs, and a nail brush and strongly scented soap have failed to shift it.

Further up the arm is Clinique Happy and it too is struggling to raise a smile at this point.

There are somethings I'm not a fan of (iris, leather, birch tar) but don't quite get me to the point of scrubbing. The only thing that really does is it jasmine. I love jasmine in the garden in full bloom - it's just divine. But in perfume on my skin all I get is terribly fecal indole. My worst ever perfume experiences were with Luten's Sarassins, Patou's Joy and L'Artisan's The Pour un Ete. All lovely for 10 minutes and then sheer scrubbing hell. Uggg.

P.S. I love Aromatics Elixir and tuberose anything. No problems with those!
    Last edited by rachelsf; 26th September 2008 at 09:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Aquolina Blue Sugar. Deep-fried licorice. Could not scrub it off fast enough..

When I read the title right away I thought of both
    Miss Dior & 24 Faubourg and quickly thereafter
    of Caron Narcisse Noir. This is way too funny actually.
    I thought for sure I will be scorned for not being able to appreciate
    those two fine fragrances, but honestly, they could not smell
    worse with my ungrateful chemistry! I know, I know my loss.

But as I read your list, I cannot help but realize that in fact
    that's really what it comes down to, CHEMISTRY!

So I have to fully agree with you on the following:

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Caron Narcisse Noir (this is pure evil, but words fail me beyond that)- you couldn't have said it better!!
    Miss Dior & 24 Faubourg (fecal unspeakables)
    S100%Love (Hate more like...Chocolate and Hoover dust)
    Amarige (molten industrial plastics in the drydown)
    Schiaparelli Schocking (schocking schedloads of civet)
    Caron Yatagan (medieval torture)
    Dioressence (embalming fluid)
    Anais Anais (choking soapy fumes)
    Ormonde Jayne Tolu (acrid sap)
    Clarins Eau Dynamisante (sauna from hell)

And yet, there are so many out there who LOVE these scents,
    and so many I loved them on. Just not on me!!! No way, no how!

And then, there are those scents that many of you dislike
    like L Ete en Douce, Chinatown, Boudoir and
    Rose Alexandrie but do I ever adore those scents!!!
    And they work wonderfully with my chemistry.

I guess you can't wear them all
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting, AP! You may turn out to be the closest match to a "scrubber twin" for me! I am very keen to try Rose Alexandrie as it happens, but Boudoir is a nightmare on me and you know I have fallen out of love with L'Ete en Douce.

Do you also like the AP range? I am not so keen on the original - bit 50's retro talcum powder - but Maitresse is quite nice, also the Eau Emotionelle or whatever the lighter one is called. Strip is a bit mad as I recall - must be the geranium.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, so many frags I enjoy are other's scrubbers !
    Schiaparelli Schocking, Anais Anais, 24 Faubourg, Angel, Lou Lou, Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, Joop pour Homme ( on my boy, yum ! ), Opium, Flower Bomb, JPG Classique...*sigh*

Recent scrubbers for me, The new Chloe, and Agent Provocateur.

Post Thanks / Like

The only ones that I had to shower off were:
    Kouros
    TdH
    Creed Orange Spice (same as Kouros to me)

The funny thing is I have tried Kouros and TdH more than once but each time I have to shower it back off. I want to like them.

Jazz smelled like dog poop on me. Unfortunately I sampled it at the Shanghai airport and had to "enjoy" it for the 14 hour trip back home. It smelled fine on paper.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep checking back with this thread because the replies are so fascinating. Have any of your scrubbers morphed into scents you decide you can tolerate, or even like, after all? Or is it "once a scrubber, always a scrubber?" I ask because I initially had the same reaction to Tolu mentioned by at least a few of you, yet the other day after bravely (insanely?) trying it again, I did not detest it any more. I am not sure I like it yet, but I did not have the urge to scrub it off.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like Chinatown but it is a bit too much, try Fracas
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I keep checking back with this thread because the replies are so fascinating. Have any of your scrubbers morphed into scents you decide you can tolerate, or even like, after all? .

Yes I think you should re try fragrances after some time, in my case in a couple of years. As your nose learns and becomes better and you taste changes, you might actually like something in time to come.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I keep checking back with this thread because the replies are so fascinating. Have any of your scrubbers morphed into scents you decide you can tolerate, or even like, after all? Or is it "once a scrubber, always a scrubber?" I ask because I initially had the same reaction to Tolu mentioned by at least a few of you, yet the other day after bravely (insanely?) trying it again, I did not detest it any more. I am not sure I like it yet, but I did not have the urge to scrub it off.
    Leesee; I highly recommend keeping your samples. I can personally attest that tastes change, and yesterday's scrubbers can become tomorrow's loves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Yes I think you should re try fragrances after some time, in my case in a couple of years. As your nose learns and becomes better and you taste changes, you might actually like something in time to come.
    Exactly.

If I hadn't experienced it myself I don't know if I would have believed it. I'm not sure what actually changes, if it is one's exposure to different smells, or what exactly happens or can happen. It would be interesting to understand the multiple dimensions of this phenomena.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    If you like Chinatown but it is a bit too much, try Fracas
    I have the Fracas solid perfume, and it's not strong enough in that form. I really do like it, so good suggestion!
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

Cabotine....I tried...it just kept getting stronger.

Post Thanks / Like

Velvet Gardenia ( CHEEEEEEEEEESE! And death. )
    Secretions Magnifique ( Saliva and metal )
    Yatagan ( BBQ'd meat and pine... oh joy )
    Duro ( sweet candy frosting amber )

There are more, but those are the worst to date.

Though, to be fair to "scrubbers", two have since become well-liked fragrances - Rasa Extreme and Aoud Cuir D'Arabie

I'm glad this thread has been resurrected. I have new entries:
    Bond No. 9 Madison Soiree: A fabulous new fusion appetizer of heavily veined blue cheese on a decaying gardenia petal. Three Michelin stars. Customers flock. Restaurant closes within a year, the victim of the customers' common sense.

Nuit de Cellophane: Oh, the sheer joy of hairspray lacquered over jellied osmanthus! It's stiff and crinkly. On this basis alone, a triumph. But who would want the bouquet contained within? If there were some sort of aerosol preservative that would keep flowers looking fresh indefinitely, this would be it. Great environmental damage would occur.

Any Angel flanker: Why are these so bad? Is the original bad and I just don't realize it? Why is there a pronounced note of wet hay in all of them?

Parfum de Therese: The ultimate in jolie laide. Trust me, this one is legendary. I'm not even that sure that I dislike it. "Womanly" and overripe melon, sweating in the heat--a feast for flies. More disturbing than ugly. Gives "mature" a bad name.
    Last edited by Orion; 8th May 2009 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Parfum de Therese: The ultimate in jolie laide. Trust me, this one is legendary. I'm not even that sure that I dislike it. "Womanly" and overripe melon, sweating in the heat--a feast for flies. More disturbing than ugly. Gives "mature" a bad name.
    Woah! Brilliantly put, but this is gonna rile a few folks on here!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Comme des Garcons PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon: OLD MOLDY DAMP CHURCH CURTAIN!
    OMG I nearly ran from myself trying to get away from it. Tried to cover it, didn't work. Tried to scrub it, didn't work. Showered and changed clothes...could still faintly smell it! Doused the area with a stronger beast and prayed not to smell it ever again. Run, people! As far away from a bottle of this as you can! Interestingly enough I love most of your scrubbers. Love youth dew, bronze goddess, and I adore tuberose (carnal flower, anyone?) Hello, that's to die for! So maybe my nose leads me a tad askew compared to others...hilarious thread my friends, you guys crack me up!

Clemmie, I love it that your daughter can say "dick cheese" to you.
    I think Etat Libre d;Orange has a patent on that name , no?

These posts are hilarious! There is something about the combination of wit, indignation, yet respect for everyone who might love the offensive brews: one perfumista's scrubber is another one's paradise. Or something like that!

I am trying to remember....usually i can tough it out through a fragrance in the interest of "science", and I often hand in there b/c I change my mind. But there are a few i just can't wear:

Angel , Covet, Lovely Tocade
    ...come to mind as fragrances I simply couldn't have on my skin, even in the interest of testing and comparing.
    Sweet + fruity+ vanilla is usually the recipe for a shower one me (Tocade, Angel); there is something about the musks in Lovely and COvet that nauseate me (esp. the musk chocolate combo in Covet)

Leesee, yes there are several in the From Scrub to Love category for me: FIrst time: blech. Tried again--bought the full bottle!

Eau des merveilles
    Bal à versailles
    Iris Ganache
    Bois d'Armenie
    Jean Louis Scherrer
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 8th May 2009 at 01:37 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TaraYvonne View Post
    Comme des Garcons PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon: OLD MOLDY DAMP CHURCH CURTAIN!
    OMG I nearly ran from myself trying to get away from it. Tried to cover it, didn't work. Tried to scrub it, didn't work. Showered and changed clothes...could still faintly smell it! Doused the area with a stronger beast and prayed not to smell it ever again. Run, people! As far away from a bottle of this as you can!
    I actually broke a glass vial of Kyoto on the kitchen work surface and could not get the smell out of the formica for a day or so. Partner was very reluctant to eat food smoked in incense. Analogies with barbecued food and smoked mackerel fell on deaf ears.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see this thread revived as I have one new scrubber and would like to change one on my original list, as my tastes have since matured. Tolu is not acrid sap - whatever was I thinking?! It is resiny, granted, but in a sumptuous regal way, underscored by a warm amber hum. Just need the heavy brocade gown to go with it and I am all set!

Recent scrubber was JPG Ma Dame - terrifying bubble gum and molten PVC raincoat note.

Post Thanks / Like

everything indolic jasmine and also all "bubble-gum" type scents

I'd like to make an addition: Tauer's Reverie au Jardin. It's beyond foul.

Where's the Reverie? Where's the Jardin?

Penicillin-moulded marzipan, more like! Yeurch!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    I'd like to make an addition: Tauer's Reverie au Jardin. It's beyond foul.

Where's the Reverie? Where's the Jardin?

Penicillin-moulded marzipan, more like! Yeurch!
    That is another one indeed, also the new Rose Chypre, which has a strangely acrid, smoky, disinfectanty aspect to it. CS gas couldn't have made my partner scarper faster from the room.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Patchouli Leaves by Montale made me throw up and I have never scrubbed so much ,showered etc and still the stink was there. I have given away my sample and I really could not even touch the vial .
    Apart from that - Confetto by Profumum went nasty with me- retch retch retch.
    Miller Harris L'air de Rien - horse poo ,halitosis ,BO terrible on me.
    Kouros is veritable stink for some reason and I hate to say it Andy Tauer's L'Air du desert marocain. I wanted to love it but it smells like BO on me and I have to wash it off.
    Costes- potpourri spice -horrid.
    10 Corso Como - horrible on me ,a scrubber.
    Absinth by Nasomatto - yucky old italian herbs gone off big time on me .

TheFragrantZebra- I understand how the new Chloe can be a scrubber. I like- a fool- bought some duty free onboard recently. It is abit of a sticky hyper sweet annoying smell - not soothing ,just irritating. Just when you think the scent has worn off- there iti s again and damn , I thought it was light ! I can barely make myself wear it now .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 8th May 2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: adding other scrubbers I remembered
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So many to remember, but for now they are:

Angel
    Nasomatto Narcotic Venus
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit
    CdG Tar
    CB I Hate Perfume Revelation Water
    Piguet's Bandit
    Guerlain Gourmand Coquin (just thinking about it makes my teeth disintegrate)
    Dior Dioressence
    Guerlain Shalimar
    FM Musc Ravageur
    Tauer Incense Rose

There are piles more....I know I will have offended too many lovers of the above, but I can't stand the animalics and they can't stand me!
    Last edited by lovethescents; 8th May 2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: forgot important ones
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My goodness, and of course Secretion Magnifique!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

I tried one of those Angel flankers once. Angel Lily or something. In fact, that was not the only thing I tried that day - I had 3 or 4 patches on my arms. On the way home ALL I COULD SMELL was that candy cotton patchouli boring itself into my brain, and this was in the open air, at half a spray. I can't imagine sitting next to someone who's gone the full monty with spraying that one, yikes.

Another scrubber: Cashmere Mist. I don't know what it does, but ew.
    Amande Honorable from Stéphanie de St-Aignan, same story. Ew.

On the other hand, I rather like Rêverie au Jardin. No accounting for taste.

*I love how on the last page, I proclaimed that Tam Dao was the foulest thing in existence. My rapidly draining 100ml bottle is telling *such* a different story. Yesterday's scrubber, today's love?
    Last edited by Morgaine; 8th May 2009 at 10:28 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I love how on the last page, I proclaimed that Tam Dao was the foulest thing in existence. My rapidly draining 100ml bottle is telling *such* a different story. Yesterday's scrubber, today's love?
    Absolutely - my latest about turn is with PG Felanilla. I am sure I described it on another site as "vanilla drizzled over fermenting silage", but I love it to bits now. It is very closely related to L'Ombre Fauve, so as with that, there is a little weird pain barrier to be got past.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 8th May 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: purple prose!

Post Thanks / Like

Knowing - oakmoss dumped in civet and dripping
    Habanita - the famous despcription "baby powder on steroids". I found what "steroids" means - ambergris (cf fragrantica). Too much vetiver on the opening >> smoke feeling. On the drydown it smells on me a lot like the azzaro ph drydown, only a little sweet, but not to sweet. Sweat. A sweaty man covered with baby powder
    Last edited by anais; 9th May 2009 at 01:16 AM.
    ~ Anais ~

I was looking at my list of fragrances tested, and I can identify three categories of fragrance that tend to be "scrub-worthy" for me:

Truly heavy-hitting oriental floral blends, exemplified by Bond No.9 Chinatown and West Side. (I'm literally intimidated by these fragrances. Guess I'm NOT a Bond girl, LOL.)

Certain aldehyde monsters. Two recent ones I had to scrub: Fleurissimo and Iris Poudre.

Sugary-sweet fruity concoctions. For example, Missoni and Sweet Oriental Dream actually slightly nauseated me. And I SO wanted to like both of these!

I rather smell like kimchee than: anything Tom Ford, YOUTH DEW, carnal flower, fracas, chergui, arabie, loree rodkin, timbaktu, dzing, bandit, JUNGLE GARDENIA,mitsouko, jicky, kingdom, chanel no.5, coco, cormondel,borneo 1834, aquolina,HARAJUKU ANYHTING, vanilia, musc ravageur, palisander, cdg odeur 73,songes, narcotic venus........regina harris, oh i can go on ... mostly, green scents , roaring whiteflower , heavy goth incense , bitter chypres, ALDEHYDES, CIVET, OUD
    Last edited by memechose; 9th May 2009 at 04:32 AM.
    "If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again."
    — Daphne du Maurier

Actually, I have a new one to add to this list: Annick Goutal Un Matin d'Orage. Full volume ethanol/chemical spill note shrieks over a blousy floral. This perfume made my head hurt straight away. It was a fresh, new sample, given to me at Harrods. I suspected I was somehow picking up weirdness from it and to others it would smell fine, but at least one other BN member had the same experience when I sent it on.

Well, Nuky, my offending Goutal is Quel Amour!, or, as I like to call it:

QUEL HORREUR!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Lushsoup on changing tastes. First time I tried Angel, I couldn't stand the syrupy sweetness. I actually like it now. Whodathunkit?

Black licorice - I tried Etro Anice, and there is no way I could wear this. Licorice in SUBTLE notes are ok, as long as it's not the main course!
    Curry/Cumin - same thing. Subtle seems to be the key word here. Overt use is icky for me.
    Tubereuse Criminelle - ditto what has been said. It IS a facinating smell, but I just can't bring myself to keep it on long. Maybe I should just keep the sample around just to smell once in a while.
    BIG doses of gardenia, jasmine, tuberose. Small OK, Big bad. A la Nuit is great IF done in the tiniest of doses. It does have a great drydown. Can't handle the gardenia in Kai very well. Even Fracas will gag me unless used very judiciously.
    Calone/Melon - meeeeh
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Post Thanks / Like

I must speak up in defense of Aromatics Elixir, which keeps getting trashed here. I got a bottle after reading LT's review in The Guide. On the first application, I thought of a bizzare concotion of medicinal herbs I once bought at a Chinese grocery--bitter, bitter, bitter. But over time, as I learned to apply it in the right (small) amounts, I came to love AE. Still medicinal yes, but medicinal in the best sense of the word--soothing, balancing and calming. What seemed like a purgative turned out to be a mood stablizer. In perfume, as in most things, it's the dose that makes the poison.

Post Thanks / Like

How could I have forgotten! Miel de Bois, an unholy terror if ever there was one. Pure sugared sawdust.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few new ones as well:

Profumum Volo AZ 686
    Prada Infusion d'Iris
    Stephanie de Saint-Aignan Amande Honorable (so disappointing to an almond lover!)
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Bulgari Black.

I wore it for hours and thought: Alright, interesting, but suddenly I became so sick of that smell, I was dizzy and nauseous. I had to scrubb, but the real bad thing was: I could smell it everywhere I went that day, I still could smell it at the table, where I sprizzed it. I srubbed the table, I avoided the table.
    It was so bad, that I couldn't get near any scent for 48 hours without feeling disgusted.

Eventually I tried my favourites and I got over it, but I'd thought, that I can never ever wear any perfume again, because of Bulgari Black. I suspect the "rubber", this artificial note, that really makes my brain burst.

Lucky me, I have still the rest of the 50ml bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Bulgari Black.

I wore it for hours and thought: Alright, interesting, but suddenly I became so sick of that smell, I was dizzy and nauseous. I had to scrubb, but the real bad thing was: I could smell it everywhere I went that day, I still could smell it at the table, where I sprizzed it. I srubbed the table, I avoided the table.
    It was so bad, that I couldn't get near any scent for 48 hours without feeling disgusted.

Eventually I tried my favourites and I got over it, but I'd thought, that I can never ever wear any perfume again, because of Bulgari Black. I suspect the "rubber", this artificial note, that really makes my brain burst.

Oh, yes. how could I forget Bulgari Black. Awful reaction on my skin too. I was soooo nauseated, I can't even describe it!
    ~ Anais ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Bulgari Black.

I may drop by next time I am over there and relieve you of the offending article!

Schade, dass es bei Ihnen so ekelhaft gewirkt hat!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 10th May 2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Checking spelling of German word for "disgusting"!

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Absolutely - my latest about turn is with PG Felanilla. I am sure I described it on another site as "vanilla drizzled over fermenting silage", but I love it to bits now. It is very closely related to L'Ombre Fauve, so as with that, there is a little weird pain barrier to be got past.
    Yah, I know what you mean with Felnilla. To me, it smells like wet cardboard. Not exactly a scrubber, but not pleasant eiter. Sadly, it's not so muhc a pain barrier for me as it is somehing permeating the whole scent, which spoils it for me. Myech.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Sadly my scrubber is now Heritage . I tried it twice in store and loved it. I hunted down a full bottle. I've worn it several times as my SoD and enjoyed the spicy woodiness.
    Last night, as usual, I put on a little spray of something before I went to bed, I haven't used Heritage at that time of day before. I went to bed and fell asleep. An hour later I woke in an absolute panic feeling nauseous.
    I got out of bed and shot to the bathroom and scrubbed it off (twice to make sure!). Then I went back to the bedroom and sprayed with lavender. I got back into bed and discovered my nightshirt still carrying Heritage and got out again and took it off. It took me a good hour to calm down again enough to get back to sleep. My poor hubby must have thought I had gone barmy
    I've never had a reaction to any scent like that before, even thinking about it is making me feel disturbed.
    My other half says he thinks perhaps it's subconsciously linked to a bad memory.
    I can't ever see me wearing it again.

Post Thanks / Like

From the top of my head: Fantasy,Insolence,Midnight Poison, Dali (the green bottle),Epices Noir,10 Corso Como,Youth Dew, Innocent Angel and Kenzo Jungle ( I feel like a terrible person right now!)
    Last edited by ineespenes; 10th May 2009 at 11:00 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Other scrubbers- Musc Ravageur - skanky,unclean yuck.
    Sean John Unforgivable Woman Black - cloying , horrible.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 11th May 2009 at 04:36 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

For me, A*Men self explanitory really,
    Knize Sec complete and utter let down
    EDPFM French Lover love the opening but it becomes very rubbery and not in the "i remember a bike shop from childhood" way more of a "this mask smells funny" kinda way
    Last edited by Andyjreid; 11th May 2009 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    EDPFM French Lover love the opening but it becomes very rubbery and not in the "i remember a bike shop from childhood" way more of a "this mask smells funny" kinda way
    BWAHAHA!

Post Thanks / Like

Came to think of another one - Marc Jacobs Blush!

I cannot figure out what note(s) in this "innocent" brew that makes me flee in panic...

BWAHAHA!
    You liked it.... good