Code of Conduct

Default Celine Ellena presents the use of mimosa and cassie in perfumery

In Grasse today, I had the chance to go to conference given on the subject of mimosa and cassie. To close the conference, Celine Ellena, a third generation perfumer, gave a presentation on the use of mimosa and cassie in perfumery. This woman is absolutely beautiful, elegant, and articulate. It was obvious that she was very passionate about perfumery. I beamed watching her. And I saw her father, Jean Claude Ellena, beam in pride as she was giving her presentation.

She told a story about getting a chance to visit a garden. She remembered taking off her heels to explore the garden barefooted. In the corner of the garden, there was a tree that bore the cassie flower. When she smelled the cassie for the first time in the form of a flower, she was surprised that it smelled so unlike the absolute that is used in perfumery. To her nose, cassie had the smell of rasberries and the powdery iris.

She went on to present fragrances that used mimosa and cassie over different time periods:

Après L’Ondée - Guerlain (Cassie)
    Chanel No. 5 - Chanel (Mimosa)

Farnesiana - Caron (Cassie)
    Zen - Shiseido (Mimosa)

Private Collection - Estée Lauder (Cassie)
    Champs Elysées - Guerlain (Mimosa)

Une Fleur de Cassie - Frederic Malle (Cassie)
    Grosellina - Guerlain (Cassie)
    Amarige "Mimosa de Grasse" - Givenchy (Mimosa)

And a tribute to her dad who was also there... Kelly Caleche - Hermès (Mimosa). She mentioned that her father was inspired by the leather of Hermès in which the leather was coated with the smell of mimosa. As a result, the mimosa-leather theme became a reality in this fragrance.

Afterwards, the father-daughter duo were surrounded by people, so I waited in the distance to have some side conversations. Before I knew it, they were gone .

On a side topic, there was something really special seeing them together. The perfumery world is so familial (especially in Grasse). I have friends who are also budding perfumers but who have parents and family who are perfumers. They have this family support and network that sometimes I wish I could have.
    Last edited by scentophile; 20th September 2008 at 04:14 PM.

Default Re: Celine Ellena presents the use of mimosa and cassie in perfumery

Sounds like a beautiful conference to me Scentophile! Interesting to hear a prominent, upcoming perfumer speak. I wonder though - the differences between cassie and mimosa aren't that clear to me. Google makes them appear like pretty much the same flowers. Care to elaborate after what you've heard?
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Basenotes Institution

Interesting story - how lucky you are.

I have very recently figured out what mimosa smells like, since I have a Claus Porto bath oil that I've been bathing with for the past month, scented with mimosa. The first time I smelled it in a bath, I was instantly reminded of Apres l'Ondee by Guerlain.

I think mimosa smells a lot like heliotrope, to me. Cassie, I can't say I know what it smells like...?

this is really interesting, im working on a blend right now that uses mimosa, I didnt even know there was another flower similar to it, hmmm wonder which ones cheaper :P

Another great post Alex! I just read your 'fragrances are not made for "us"' post and am starting to think that I would give all my fragrances to be where you are now! *Wonders how to get into Grasse....*

Interesting comparison Mike. I didn't think they were much alike but that's assuming Champs Elysees is true to mimosa and that heliotrope smells like heliotropin. To me, cassis smelled like mango and lychee. I gotta go back and sniff all these perfumes now.

Blog Entries

Yes, very interesting! You are so lucky to be in the heart of the fragrance world - so exciting! Thanks for sharing that with us. I really appreciate your taking the trouble to give us a glimpse into that world!

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    To me, cassis smelled like mango and lychee. I gotta go back and sniff all these perfumes now.
    Jillsy, cassis (blackcurrant) is different from cassie, which comes from the flowers of Acacia farnesiana. I only know because I bought a small vial of cassie absolute after smelling Une Fleur de Cassie so I could compare. It smells lovely, a powdery and slightly earthy floral. But I thought cassie was the same as mimosa, so I'm also confused about what the difference is.

Thank you for the lovely post Scentophile! I'm so jealous.