Code of Conduct

Default Douro v. Blenheim Bouquet: The Battle of the Penhaligon Citruses!

Hey all!

I've been looking around my samples lately and I came across my Blenheim and Douro vials. Wow! What two great scents. I thought that I would get a discussion going on this.

I find these two very similar, but definitely different with regard to style. Douro is warm and fresh where Blenheim is cool, reserved, and at times brash. I am in the market to buy another Penhaligon's. Just cannot decide on which one!

What are your thoughts on these two great citruses?
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Blog Entries

Default Re: Douro v. Blenheim Bouquet: The Battle of the Penhaligon Citruses!

My pick would be Duro
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Douro's nice, but I don't find it sensational. Blenheim, on the other hand, is unique and excellent. Well, actually, Town and Country by Crown is a better Blenheim .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Sur la Plage

I personally prefer Blenheim Bouquet.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have rediscovered Blenheim Bouquet this week. Have worn it for the last three days - and will continue to do so. I thought of it as a summer fragrance, but...it really cuts through this autumnal melancholy here. Evokes positive thoughts, is energizing - but not in a primitive "citrus only" way.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Douro's nice, but I don't find it sensational. Blenheim, on the other hand, is unique and excellent. Well, actually, Town and Country by Crown is a better Blenheim .
    Seems lately that my pseudonym must be the_good_life!

What he said, to the letter.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 20th September 2008 at 10:13 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Douro of course,the only citrus barbershop
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Great question. I like both, very much. BB is hands-down my favorite, for its uncompromisingly cool, lemon-pine note. It is assertive without being heavy. Duro is equally dry but it has woodier tones and some barbershop/spice notes. I'm heavy into pine scents so BB does a nice job for me. But I own both and like both. And like you I see similarities. A cool, reserved, stiff-upper-lip aristocratic flair. Great!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    Hey all!

I've been looking around my samples lately and I came across my Blenheim and Douro vials. Wow! What two great scents. I thought that I would get a discussion going on this.

I find these two very similar, but definitely different with regard to style. Douro is warm and fresh where Blenheim is cool, reserved, and at times brash. I am in the market to buy another Penhaligon's. Just cannot decide on which one!

What are your thoughts on these two great citruses?
    You and I see very much alike on these two from Penhaligons! I think I prefer Blenheim in warmer weather and Douro in cooler weather.

I find Blenheim to be very simple after the citrus goes away (cedar). The longevity on me is not too good either. Douro is very much a barbershop scent (which I like), and the longevity is quite a bit better. I prefer Douro, but to each his own.

Blenheim will keep my interest on a longer term...if you are looking for an no BS citrus though, Duoro is the answer...

Just to put a wild card comment in here....
    Today I'm wearing Green Water by Jacques Fath. I love Blenheim Bouquet, and I see definite similarities between the two. I am happy to own each. GW is a bit greener.
    Any reactions to this?
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I own both, and both are excellent classical fragrences. I would place Douro above B-B. IMO it`s more sophistcated and longlasting.

If I had to choose: Douro