Code of Conduct

Default Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Anyone a big fan of this line in general, or not a fan? I think I may have tried more CSP frags than any other house, and besides from one that makes it into my all time top 15-ish (Matin Calin/Lait Sucre - lovely and condensed milk-y) I don't like any of them, and for the same reason - they come off cloying and sweet, sweet, sweet on me. Their vanille scents (which I had damned high hopes for - esp. Vanille Abricot) were such a disappointment - the vanilla smells fake and tinny to my nose. There's a same-i-ness to them.

Does anyone else find this? Are there certain frags in the line that stand out for you?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Default Re: Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Very good question. I'm sure you'll get a range of answers. I really find that most vanilla scents, even scents with a small amount of vanilla in them, don't suit me at all. Certainly this is true in the case of the CSP Vanilla line.

But there are a couple of CSP scents that I love! Admittedly they are male-oriented. They are dry, aromatic, woody. But some women like this sort of scent to wear too. Here's what I like (I've reviewed these, if you want more info):
    Barbier des Iles
    Sanfranier
    L'Homme

Cheers,
    Last edited by odysseusm; 20th September 2008 at 11:33 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Sur la Plage

I like Aqua Motu and L'Eau de Gouverneur/L'Homme.

My sister really likes Coco Extreme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I really enjoy Cristal de Musc, which reminds me of Serge Lutens Clair de Musc), but the lasting power on me is so terrible, that I've never purchased a bottle. It's absolutely worth trying, though. I can be anosmic to certain musks, and some just don't last well on me (alas, like the gorgeous Il Profumo Musc Bleu), but it may work beautifully for you. It's not sweet or vanilla - just a clear, crystalline musk.

I had avoided CSP fragrances for years - I was never really interested in vanilla-based scents and some to the others smelled just plain strange to me. However I've been getting more comfortable with vanilla over the past couple of years, and tried Vanille Abricot this summer and found it the perfect summer-fun scent. It is a very foody (believably so) gourmand. I feel very edible when I wear it - sort of like peach cobbler.

Mmmmm... Amour de Cacao is yummy! I also like Vanille Passion - I get a lot of cinnamon in that one and end up smelling like a donut. Tried a dupe of Lait Sucre and found it to be a more realistic condensed milk fragrance than anything else I've tried - even AL Milk. I'm curious as to how close it is to the original.

Hehe thanks to an helpful BNer I managed to get a 50ml bottle of each AdC and VP for $12 in total (half of which was the postage!)
    Last edited by jillsy; 21st September 2008 at 02:56 AM.

One thing I remember disappointed me about Vanille Abricot was that I smelled exactly no apricot in it, at all. And I wanted it!

Lasting power for the CSP frags on me is probably the worst I've ever experienced. If I'm going to wear Matin Calin, I have to bring a little vial with me and reapply once an hour, sometimes more. Even 5 mins after generous application it's almost faded away. I wish there was an oil/stronger version of it.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry