Code of Conduct

Default Why minis and vials smells much better than large bottles?

I'm confused....why minis and vials smells much much better that those large bottles? For example, I can feel/detect the salty sea breeze feeling and no Amber at all in my mini Bvlgari Aqva. However in those 100ml bottle, I can't detect the sea breeze. It's less salty and the Amber is very prominent after 3 hours.

In Kenzo PH vial, it smells very good, very smooth, sans the acrid opening. In the 100ml, it opens up with a loud acrid salty smell which mellows down after 1 hour. The middle and base notes are much milder and feels diluted compared to the vials. I just hate the opening notes.

In my Paco XS mini, it is more floral, sometimes I could detect a light rosy scent. But when purchasing the big bottle, it opens up with a chemically acrid notes which fades to a bitter minty floral. I dont detect a ny woods in it.

All those big bottles are new and original.

Default Re: Why minis and vials smells much better than large bottles?

This may be an issue about dabbing vs. spraying?
    There are many scents I prefer splashed/dabbed to sprayed. It gives a smaller more concentrated area of fragrance which I think may affect the evaporation speeds of various different parts of the fragrance. Top notes (and especially chemical- smelling ones) seem to appear stronger at first when sprayed.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    This may be an issue about dabbing vs. spraying?
    There are many scents I prefer splashed/dabbed to sprayed. It gives a smaller more concentrated area of fragrance which I think may affect the evaporation speeds of various different parts of the fragrance. Top notes (and especially chemical- smelling ones) seem to appear stronger at first when sprayed.
    Your explanation definitely makes sense, Hirsch, but it also worries me because it means that all decants produced from spraying out of a large bottle into a small bottle are altered from the original composition. I would prefer to pipette from one bottle to another, but that's almost never an option unless the atomizer on the large bottle is destroyed. Can you recall any previous threads on this issue?
    Last edited by Snafoo; 25th September 2008 at 12:59 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Snafoo, no I think it would be about whether you spary or dab from the bottle or decant onto skin, it is about how it diffuses from the skin or other point of application. If you spray onto skin it has larger surface area exposing more of the volatile molecules to air quicker compared to dabbing (maybe? feel free to shoot down my chemistry/physics. A levels were a 22 years ago ...).

When you spray into a decant, it has a small surface area to volume ratio and the air should quickly become saturated so preventing much evaporation and degradation. The only scents which have gone off on me after decanting were 20 year old ones which were ok in their original bottle but didn't take kindly to being rehoused .
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I recently bought an official mini of Eau de Rochas and it was definitely off compared to the fresh, full bottle that I purchased in France. I think minis are often of ancient vintage.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th September 2008 at 01:16 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I recently bought an official mini of Eau de Rochas and it was definitely off compared to the fresh, full bottle that I purchased in France. I think minis are often of ancient vintage.

I wonder if there is a correlation to what occurs in bottled wines.

It seems that the larger bottles of wine, given identical storage conditions, age more slowly than smaller bottlings of the same wine. I realize wines continue to evolve in the bottle but could it be the smaller volume in mini bottles allows a much greater air-to-liquid ratio than the larger bottles?

Right from the moment of original bottling oxygen breakdown of ingredients slowly begins in wine so could that above stated difference in ratio cause deterioration in smaller bottles of fragrance that much faster?
    Last edited by kbe; 26th September 2008 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Snafoo, no I think it would be about whether you spary or dab from the bottle or decant onto skin, it is about how it diffuses from the skin or other point of application. If you spray onto skin it has larger surface area exposing more of the volatile molecules to air quicker compared to dabbing (maybe? feel free to shoot down my chemistry/physics. A levels were a 22 years ago ...).

When you spray into a decant, it has a small surface area to volume ratio and the air should quickly become saturated so preventing much evaporation and degradation. The only scents which have gone off on me after decanting were 20 year old ones which were ok in their original bottle but didn't take kindly to being rehoused .
    Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I wonder if there is a correlation to what occurs in bottled wines.

It seems that the larger bottles of wine, given identical storage conditions, age more slowly than smaller bottlings of the same wine. I realize wines continue to evolve in the bottle but could it be the smaller volume in mini bottles allows a much greater air-to-liquid ratio than the larger bottles?

Right from the moment of original bottling oxygen breakdown of ingredients slowly begins in wine so could that above stated difference in ratio cause deterioration in smaller bottles of fragrance that much faster?
    I think both of you are right,

Sprayed stuff is much more volatile. The more volatile it is, the higher silage it has. Think Axe. spray just a little bit and the whole room will get that horrible smell.

Moreover, the dabbed perfume gets less heat from your skin that the more dispersed spray. The ratio skin/perfume is higer for sprayed stuff. Put a couple of drops of water on a hot pan and they will dance and sizzle for a couple of seconds. Spray a ml on a hot pan and it will evaporate almost instantly.

While I agree with kbe, it is just higly improbable that all your minis and vials have turned. I have bought hundreds of minis and vials and I have never gotten one that is off.
    Last edited by irish; 26th September 2008 at 03:16 PM.