Code of Conduct

Default citrus heavy, come get me!

Hey all.

Recently I've noticed how I tend to pick uncomplicated and light fragrances in my
    wardrobe more and more often, and especially the ones focusing on citrus in one way or
    another.

I'm talking about fragrances like Hermès - Eau d'Orange Verte, Hermès - Concentré
    d'Orange Verte, Guerlain - Eau de Imperiale, Hermès - Terre d'Hermès, Beth Terry - Mare,
    Comme des Garçons - Calamus, Mark Birley - Mark Birley for Men, Roger & Gallet - Jean
    Marie-Farina, Comme des Garçons - Odeur 53, l'Artisan - l'Eau de l'Artisan, Gendarme
    Original.

Well, that list should give you a feel of what I enjoy a lot. Not all there are citruses at all,
    but near every single one of them feel uncomplicated and direct to me.

I just put an order for Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien today. My first order in over 6 months I
    think, maybe even longer. I've had a sample of it I just loved. Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Assoluta will also be purchased soon. I'm also looking into getting bottles of the rest of
    Guerlain's different eaux. Oh and of course Dior's Eau Sauvage.

Now, what have I forgotten to seek out? Any great suggestion on things I might enjoy
    given what I've written here? Something I just can't miss. Keep in mind than Terre
    d'Hermès is almost too much of what it gives, to give you a feel of what I'm after
    stregth-wise.

PS. Think I've written a similar thread before, but I hope that won't keep anyone from
    replying this time around.
    Last edited by shifts; 21st September 2008 at 05:40 PM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: citrusheavy, come get me!

Maybe -

Borsari Acqua Classica
    Etro Lemon Sorbet
    Asprey Purple Water
    Last edited by petruccijc; 21st September 2008 at 02:50 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

petruccijc: Thanks, I'll look into them. Can you give me anything more on Borsari Acqua Classica?
    The Asprey has been up on my list before. I need to smell that one.
    I'll add some fragrances I'm curious about. Maybe someone here has tried one of them
    and can say something about it here.

Eau d'Italie - eau de toilette
    Beth Terry - Element of Surprise (or any other of theirs I might like)
    Comme des Garçons - Citrico
    The Different Company - Bergamote
    MPG - Eau du Gantier
    Miller Harris - Citron Citron
    Czech & Speake - Neroli
    IL PROFUMO - Mandarine
    Last edited by shifts; 21st September 2008 at 03:04 PM.

Blog Entries

My three favorite citrus scents right now are Creed Bois de Cedrat, Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne, and The Different Company [Divine] Bergamote. I'm a fan of TdH, and have enjoyed testing the other Hermès citrus entries. I think all three of the former scents are milder than TdH - generally too much so, for my taste. None of them has much longevity, IMO.

Since you're interested in TDC Bergamote, I can tell you that it's a wonderful unisex, with a scent that is very beautiful - a citrus that feels natural, yet even better than nature. However, neither my wife nor I get much longevity. Plan to carry the bottle or a sample to refresh during the day.

I believe that citrus fragrances are a nice, classic way to go for a pleasant and unobtrusive scent without reaching for Acqua di Gio and the other current "fresh" scents. In fact, I would say that, as for the human diet, citrus is an essential part of the wardrobe. (No scent scurvy for me! )

I might recommend GF Ferré Bergamotto Marino. Its super inexpensive, and a very enjoyable EDC with Tunisian Bergamot at its heart.
    I'd also give two thumbs up to Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Verte Extrême, for its wonderful bergamot/lime accords and white pepper.

Oh good! I get to be the first to say you should seek out Nina Ricci's Signoricci! When I read your first post, Shifts, I thought some one else would beat me to the suggestion.

It's a citrus over woods, but not really a simple one. Smells great on a quick and simple level always, but it can be a day's great evolving experience as well.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Bond No 9's Little Italy seems like something that you might enjoy. Or CdG Citrico.
    Last edited by surreality; 21st September 2008 at 04:14 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Default Re: citrus heavy, come get me!

Another Goutal, Eau du Sud, is an interesting one. Nothing profound in the progression but the dry herbs become more prominent in the drydown and the citrus accord has nice longevity.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 21st September 2008 at 05:48 PM.

Try Escale à Portofino by Dior if you can... light, bright, citrusy... cologne-y...

How about Eau Suavage Fraicheur Cuir and Jaipur Homme Limited Edition Fraicheur? Both lovely twists on the citrus note...

For a darker twist try Jaguar for Men (the original dark green bottle). This can be purchased quite cheaply on line and in discount sellers...

And a lighter spiced citrus is Romeo Gigli Man...

Another Miller Harris, the Tangerine Vert. A very clean citrus, which is rather long lasting. I liked it very much.
    As to Colonia Assoluta, the general view is that a citrus scent is for the summer. Now, I applied it in this cold early autumn, and it's breathtakingly beautiful. And also very long lasting.
    Last edited by Sandy; 21st September 2008 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Another Miller Harris, the Tangerine Vert. A very clean citrus, which is rather long lasting. I liked it very much.
    As to Colonia Assoluta, the general view is that a citrus scent is for the summer. Now, I applied it in this cold early autumn, and it's breathtakingly beautiful. And also very long lasting.
    Oh yeah, I think I've tried Tangerine Vert and rather liked it. I'll see if I can recover that
    sample..

Oh and I agree 100% on Assoluta for the first crisp fall days. That is exactly why I'm getting it
    next as well.

Blog Entries

As DutB pointed out; the mother of all citruses Signoricci. And the father of them all Czech & Speake Citrus Paradisi.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    My three favorite citrus scents right now are Creed Bois de Cedrat, Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne, and The Different Company [Divine] Bergamote. I'm a fan of TdH, and have enjoyed testing the other Hermès citrus entries. I think all three of the former scents are milder than TdH - generally too much so, for my taste. None of them has much longevity, IMO.

Since you're interested in TDC Bergamote, I can tell you that it's a wonderful unisex, with a scent that is very beautiful - a citrus that feels natural, yet even better than nature. However, neither my wife nor I get much longevity. Plan to carry the bottle or a sample to refresh during the day.

I believe that citrus fragrances are a nice, classic way to go for a pleasant and unobtrusive scent without reaching for Acqua di Gio and the other current "fresh" scents. In fact, I would say that, as for the human diet, citrus is an essential part of the wardrobe. (No scent scurvy for me! )
    I've only tried Allure Home Sport Cologne once, but from what I remember I thought it was
    rather decent, even though bordering on being too generic. I should try it again.

Divine Bergamot, I hear ya. I'll order a sample of it since you have high regards about it.

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Oh good! I get to be the first to say you should seek out Nina Ricci's Signoricci! When I read your first post, Shifts, I thought some one else would beat me to the suggestion.

It's a citrus over woods, but not really a simple one. Smells great on a quick and simple level always, but it can be a day's great evolving experience as well.
    mudassir also suggested this just now. Well, I actually forgot to mention it in my initial post. I
    love Signoricci! What I have is a 10 ml decant of the old stuff, and I'm kind of worried that the
    new juice is nothing like it. But I think I'm willing to take that risk. Amazing amazing stuff and
    a spot on suggestion, so thanks both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I might recommend GF Ferré Bergamotto Marino. Its super inexpensive, and a very enjoyable EDC with Tunisian Bergamot at its heart.
    I'd also give two thumbs up to Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Verte Extrême, for its wonderful bergamot/lime accords and white pepper.
    I'm definately going to get a bottle of the GF fragrance. Thanks a lot Dimitri (oh, I love your
    blog btw. Have been a subscriber quite some time now).

About the Bvlgari. I've tried the original one, but found it so so. I really need to check that
    one out again. Noticed that Jean Claude Ellena is the nose behind the Extrême version as
    well. Hmm, better try both.

Strollyourlobster: Another Goutal might do the trick. I'll look into it most definately.

surreality: I have a sample, but can't really recall it. I'll give my views in this thread when I tried it again.

JanAlways: Some of those names are very overlooked by me. This brought some well deserved focus
    to them I'm sure. Will see if I can locate them.

vandair: Well, in an earlier post I wrote that Colonia Assoluta will be my next order. I was wrong. This
    Christian Dior will probably be it. Many thanks for that suggestion my friend.

Off-Scenter

I think the following scents fit your criterial, and are probably woth trying:

Eau du Sud (I like it better than Hadrien)
    Bois de Cedrat
    Fraicheur Muskissime
    Sanguine Muskissime
    Angeliques sous la Pluie
    Cologne Sologne
    Chanel Cologne (Les Exclusives)
    Iskander
    Bahiana (a favorite of mine in the citrus genre)
    Fresh Sugar Lychee
    Aria di Capri
    Cologne Bigarade (a "must-try" for citrus lovers, I think)
    Blenheim Bouquet
    Etiquette Bleue
    Selection Verte
    Cologne a la Russe
    Erolfa
    Kouros (just making sure you're paying attention)
    Fleurs de Citronnier
    Jardin de Kerylos
    Mure et Musc
    Oyedo...

Whew! There's a lot of simple citrus outh there!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 22nd September 2008 at 07:41 PM.

Skip Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien and head for Guerlain's vibrant and refreshing Cologne du 68 !
    -

how come no one has mentioned D&G Masculine? powerful citrus that lasts for days with a bit of a barbershop edge to it.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I would add to that list Sisley's Eau de Campaigne and Eau de Patou (if you can find it, it is discontinued).

zztop: The Goutal is already ordered, but there is always room for more!

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I would add to that list Sisley's Eau de Campaigne and Eau de Patou (if you can find it, it is discontinued).
    I actually already have Eau de Campagne in my wardrobe. Maybe there are decants to be
    had of the other one?
    Last edited by shifts; 21st September 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Citrus-heavy fragrances have been an enduring passion for me. Right now, my wardrobe sees regular rotations of:

Cedrat edc by Patricia de Nicolai
    Bright, immaculate, like a perfectly pressed white shirt

Cologne Sologne by Patricia de Nicolai
    Ditto the above, with a true neroli note

Eau de Courreges by Courreges
    Very brisk - there's some herbal and coniferous notes that make this an eye-opener

Eau de Patou by Jean Patou
    Strong grapefruit peel note in the top, softens considerably with a very subtle powdery incense note way later

L'eau Pour le Jeune Homme - by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Classic neroli-based cologne with an interesting combo of rosemary and sandalwood that starts appearing in the heart note.

Those are my current favorites. It's a rare week that goes by that I don't wear at least one for the whole day.

Blog Entries

M:Men by Masaki is THE most underrated citrus scent around i think.

you can get it cheap from Sephora...and it lasts a LONG time....with great sillage...very fresh oranges, and just a great scent altogether.

Thety aren't citrus powerhouses but I always associate the old schoolers with citrus

Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Tuscany
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Of those mentioned I'd definitely try:
    Creed Bois de Cedrat Selection Verte
    C&S Neroli (a perfect, straight neroli, not citric) & Citrus Paradisi (a wonderful grapefruit)
    The new Signoricci is different from the vintage, more synthetics, but still quite good.
    Eau du Sud - while not very original, it is a picture-book aromatic citrus.

I'm not sure these haven been mentioned:
    Guerlain AA Pamplelune (with C&S & Nicolai Balle de Match the best grapefruit around, definitely the most mouth-watering one)
    Monsieur Balmain (cheap, good lemon)
    Hugh Parsons Old England - a really fresh natural lemon blast. The best, least-synthetic Parsons IMO
    Trumper's West Indian Lime - the best no-nonsense lime. Enormously zest-zingy. Perfect morning body tonic

shifts, PM me for a sample of the ultimate lemon oil inferno that is Crown Imperial & some very nice organic citrus Eau de Cologne
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    I'm definately going to get a bottle of the GF fragrance. Thanks a lot Dimitri (oh, I love your
    blog btw. Have been a subscriber quite some time now).

About the Bvlgari. I've tried the original one, but found it so so. I really need to check that
    one out again. Noticed that Jean Claude Ellena is the nose behind the Extrême version as
    well. Hmm, better try both.
    Thanks shifts re: the blog!

Yes, I think Monsieur Ellena breathed a bit of life into the original EPaTV when he created Extrême.
    I hope you enjoy it!

I haven't seen Eau de Rochas mentioned yet. Citrus with a patchouli base.

Basenotes Institution

There are many, many great suggestions above - so I will agree with a few: Neroli by Czech & Speake, Cologne du 68 by Guerlain, Selection Verte by Creed and Escale de Portofino by Christian Dior. All I highly recommend.

I don't think you will be impressed by Citrico (Cologne Series) by Comme des Garcons. The 'eaux' and 'colognes' that you currently own or are familiar with all blow Citrico out of the water, when it comes to complexity, quality of ingredients, etc. I liked Citrico when I owned it, but it's nothing spectacular.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford (Private Blends), but then I'm not sure you have TF over in Sweden yet..?

Oh - and it's really NICE to see you posting again shifts. You've been missed.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd September 2008 at 08:54 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Carthusia - Numero Uno (strong lime peel)
    Bond No.9 - Little Italy (again, raw lime juice...)

I like Citron Citron.

You are going to be sampling for a long time just from the suggestions above.

I'll only add two more:

Verveine by Molinard (my SotD)
    Ricci Club Haute Concentration by Nina Ricci (simply amazing).
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Eau de Cartier is refreshingly sour citrus/woods/violet leaf, and quite light.

ADP Colonia Intensa

Citrus frags aren't really my thing, but I think I better toss Live Jazz into the mix. Dirt cheap and hard to go wrong with.

Also, I'll add a hearty seconding to the Eau de Cartier suggestion. It's perfect for those occasions when most people wouldn't wear a fragrance. Feather light, perfectly wearable, and excellent longevity. Of course, you can double or triple up on the sprays if you need some oomph.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that next time I'm at my local perfumery they'll have this You've recommended it so many times - and I can't wait to try it
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Hey Shifts here are some suggestions for you buddy:
    Parfums d'Empire Iskander (classic and surprisingly longlasting well made citrus)
    Malle Bigarrade Concentrée (simply love the bitter orange note)
    Villoresi Uomo

Wow, this thread really became something great now. I'll have some delayed breakfast and get back to ya
    all

How about FM Bigarade Concentree?

Lots and lots of good suggestions, so I can't add any new ones, but I will second (third?) Iskander. Doesn't get much press, but it's incredibly long lasting for a citrus. You have to really like musk though. The overall composition is incredibly rich, lusciously rich - not a scent for banging around the house in, like so many other citrus-based fragrances.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

L'Eau de L'Artisan. A very "green" citrus. No synthetics and it's almost impossible to over-apply.

YSL pour homme is pretty nice
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Hey Shifts here are some suggestions for you buddy:
    Parfums d'Empire Iskander (classic and surprisingly longlasting well made citrus)
    Malle Bigarrade Concentrée (simply love the bitter orange note)
    Villoresi Uomo
    Hey my man, nice to see you here! Iskander, yes, that is one I've been looking at before.
    Thanks for reminding me.

The Frederic Malle scent is one I've been curious about. I once finished 10ml decant of
    the lighter version in just a few weeks. It was lovely to say the least, but so short lived it
    didn't justify the steep price tag for me.

Uomo is not for me though, to herbal.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    Citrus frags aren't really my thing, but I think I better toss Live Jazz into the mix. Dirt cheap and hard to go wrong with.
    I agree with you and I have it in my arsenal. It can sometimes become a bit too murky
    though in my opinion, but there are times when Live Jazz is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    There are many, many great suggestions above - so I will agree with a few: Neroli by Czech & Speake, Cologne du 68 by Guerlain, Selection Verte by Creed and Escale de Portofino by Christian Dior. All I highly recommend.

I don't think you will be impressed by Citrico (Cologne Series) by Comme des Garcons. The 'eaux' and 'colognes' that you currently own or are familiar with all blow Citrico out of the water, when it comes to complexity, quality of ingredients, etc. I liked Citrico when I owned it, but it's nothing spectacular.
    Cologne du 68 sounds a bit chatic from the descriptions I've read. Like it tries to be
    everywhere at the same time. Is that a good thing? Any other insights on how it works?

Oh, and thanks for the warning about the CdG. I'll scrap it from my list.

[QUOTE=the_good_life;1314127]Of those mentioned I'd definitely try:
    Creed Bois de Cedrat Selection Verte
    C&S Neroli (a perfect, straight neroli, not citric) & Citrus Paradisi (a wonderful grapefruit)
    The new Signoricci is different from the vintage, more synthetics, but still quite good.
    Eau du Sud - while not very original, it is a picture-book aromatic citrus.

I'm not sure these haven been mentioned:
    Guerlain AA Pamplelune (with C&S & Nicolai Balle de Match the best grapefruit around, definitely the most mouth-watering one)
    Monsieur Balmain (cheap, good lemon)
    Hugh Parsons Old England - a really fresh natural lemon blast. The best, least-synthetic Parsons IMO
    Trumper's West Indian Lime - the best no-nonsense lime. Enormously zest-zingy. Perfect morning body tonic/QUOTE]

As always, interesting "wide-angeled" suggestions. I will try to check all of these out. Many thanks, much appreaciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Citrus-heavy fragrances have been an enduring passion for me. Right now, my wardrobe sees regular rotations of:

Cedrat edc by Patricia de Nicolai
    Bright, immaculate, like a perfectly pressed white shirt

Cologne Sologne by Patricia de Nicolai
    Ditto the above, with a true neroli note

Eau de Courreges by Courreges
    Very brisk - there's some herbal and coniferous notes that make this an eye-opener

Eau de Patou by Jean Patou
    Strong grapefruit peel note in the top, softens considerably with a very subtle powdery incense note way later

L'eau Pour le Jeune Homme - by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Classic neroli-based cologne with an interesting combo of rosemary and sandalwood that starts appearing in the heart note.

Those are my current favorites. It's a rare week that goes by that I don't wear at least one for the whole day.
    You seem to be a citrus connaisseur, I'll try to hunt down every single on of these in the future. Lovely with some suggestions which are totally new to me. Always exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    L'Eau de L'Artisan. A very "green" citrus. No synthetics and it's almost impossible to over-apply.
    Simply on of the best, agreed. I've almost used up my bottle now.

Lostmarch Atao seems to fit the bill here.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Tried this one again and it is great! So zesty it almost feels too good to be true and larger
    than life when you put it on. And yes, the longetivity is suprising. I could feel distinct wafts
    from it several hours after application, and they reminded me of Guerlain's Eau de Cologne
    Impériale. Who could ask for more?!

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Lostmarch Atao seems to fit the bill here.
    Added to my Luckyscent sample list
    Last edited by shifts; 27th September 2008 at 09:04 PM.

Dependent

just got back from the most definite cheapest BNIB 100ml EDT in United Colors of Benneton's "Cold". paid the equivelant to about 7-8USD for that at prominent mall. the bottle is somewhat of a todddler toy in design. finally i can justify using frags as room freshers, tho i believe this would be good for the toilet. also on sale was guerlain vetiver along with ysl(tom ford) M7, the respective 125ml of the former and the 100ml of the latte slashed a good few tens to a low 40s USD, sadly i dont fined a need for a 2nd bottle of M7 to be able to exploit sales price.guerlain was nice and herbal, but with paco rabanne in the ranks of my "green" scents, the former is somewhat not of too much interest after my last 3 samplings of it at the same mall.

Hi Shifts,

Just thought I'd follow up on this thread of yours with a nice experience I had this morning with my scent of the day, Patricia de Nicolai's Cedrat (the eau de cologne, not the Intense)

I've always really liked this scent, and put it into regular rotation as soon as I obtained it this summer. I knew it had deeper notes in it like patchouli and woods and some subtle spice, but my use of Cedrat was mainly in warmer weather to enjoy its intensely zingy citrus top.

The weather in my part of the world is definitely transitioning now from warm "Indian Summer" to more earnestly autumnal. Chilly mornings, hazy sunny afternoons and brisk breezes. Huge, iconic full moon dominating the sky last night. I chose Cedrat rather hurriedly while getting dressed this morning, and after spraying a good dose on, I left the room and then re-entered about two minutes later. That's when I really "got" the masterful structure of this lovely eau de cologne - there was a wave of patchouli/cedar/sandalwood hanging in the air of the room, with a surrounding halo of citrus brilliance - I swear, it was so arresting that I could almost literally see it. Maybe it's the change of season, maybe it just takes a certain number of exposures before you really understand a scent (or it understands you!). Whatever it is, the discovery of new facets to something you thought was familiar is one of the most fascinating aspects of our hobby, don't you think?

It's later in the afternoon now, and I can still smell traces of Cedrat on my arms. Time for a little walk, a cup of strong coffee, and a top-up spritz from my mini atomizer.

Cheers,
    J.

Hi,

I agree with those that suggested Malle's Bigarade Concentree.....to me it is the most citrus heavy ....its like squeezing a wonderful strong & fresh orange peel.

To that I will add:

Jo Malone's Lime Basil
    Fresh's Lemon Sugar (just like lemonade!)