Code of Conduct

Default Would love a recommendation for a 28 yr old artist

I am looking for a new fragrance and am completely green in this area so I'd appreciate any help.

I am fairly sick of the 'watery' and 'cool' colognes (Acqua di gio for instance) but I like the 'sophistication' air of them. I am really looking for something with a bit more uhh manliness (not too much) and mystery, even a little surprising. Darker tones, a little bit more ballsy (again not too much) but charming nonetheless, to compliment my personality (or maybe just to pretend! )

I really have zero clue how to translate these themes into smells so I am hoping for a bit of advice!

I like what I've read on here about Montale Greyland, and L'Homme Sage.

Would love any advice, use your imagination.

Jake

AromiErotici

Default Re: Would love a recommendation for a 28 yr old artist

Antaeus or Yatagan is the way to go for more UMPHHHHHHH.........

Sur la Plage

Some that you may want to sample (always sample before deciding on a purchase):

Caron L'Anarchiste
    Viktor & Rolf Antidote
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Yves Saint-Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Something from the Salvador Dali line of fragrances
    Last edited by petruccijc; 19th September 2008 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Some that you may want to sample (always sample before deciding on a purchase):

Caron L'Anarchiste
    Viktor & Rolf Antidote
    My #1 and #2 in that order.. hmm, maybe I should be an artist (well, musician is close ).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

CoSTUME NATIONAL Scent Intense is a dark bird!

For sophistication, darkness, mystery and (not too much) manliness I recommend Mitsouko edp (Guerlain), parfum concentrations of Tabac Blond, Alpona, Poivree (Caron). Those are pretty hard to find and expensive, but since you consider Greyland and L´Homme Sage I thought I could mention those too.

The ones I mentioned are old perfumes (1919 - 1953) originally marketed towards women but by today´s standards they are (to me) very unisex. And being a man wearing those gems, I feel really ballsy. Also the surprise quota is filled; partly because it is "female", partly because they are unusual, but mostly because they are so different from todays perfumes. Their depth and refinement are astonishing.

All the other suggestions are good too (although Yatagan is a bit difficult for me...)

One source for samples are
    theperfumedcourt.com

Good luck and welcome to Basenotes!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Dependent

ok dont blast me on this guys, but i have to yet again suggest fahrenheit....
    To be honest im starting to appreciate my GIT more now. so Id reccommedn GIT. it took me quite sometime to distinguish the diff between CW and GIT and to my horror i actually wasted a good 25-30 sprays at home just to compare the both.this fragrance thing is burning my pockets and my sesibility. enough whining. I suggest fahrenheit from dior, bvlgaru black, loewe solo!

One with darker tones that I love is Ungaro III. A really cheap decent dark fragrance is Cuba Black.....it's so cheap that even a blind buy is no loss. Those both cover brooding well.....as does Jacomo de Jacomo but that one may be too dated for you.

For something romantic yet masculine.....sensitive and lovely, I really enjoy Versace's The Dreamer.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Sounds simple enough I say Black Aoud.

It seems to fit all of your requirements. It is a well made, complex scent that is sophisticated. It's listed as a unisex scent, but leans towards being a bit more masculine (which takes care of the problem of being masculine without being too much so.) It's dark without being too heavy. And besides, the one note that I think all artists should be able to pull off is a classic rose note.
    Last edited by maverickmage; 19th September 2008 at 05:37 PM.

I'm a 28-year old artist and I love Declaration Essence by Cartier and the new Emporio Armani Diamonds.

Blog Entries

ENCRE NOIRE.

dark...dry...dirty....and very wearable.

Yes, Anteus
    Sables, Annick Goutal
    Ambre Russe, Aziyade, Parfum d'Empire

If you can wear rose, I second the Black Aoud recommendation. I tried Greyland but it wasnt for me. PM me if your in the US ( i dont know how to ship abroad) and want the rest of my Greyland sample.

Thanks a ton for all the replies. Keep them coming if you wish, I've got a nice sampler order pending and I'll update to let you know how it goes.

Jake

Encre Noir is a good suggestion. It is stylish and new. Vetiver is the dominant element there, you'll see if you like that excellent note (not everyone does).
    Oud is quite tricky, a love-it or leave-it scent.
    I'd say try some classics, old-school scents and ones that are widely available. They have more character than a lot of the current insipid fresh-marine stuff out there. For example, Dior Eau Sauvage and Armani pour Homme (the old original). Most good stores will these. ES is a stylish take on a basic lemony cologne, Armani is a great version of a fougere (green mossy style). See if you like these good old scents. Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Serge Noire would suit an artist.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Haha I love that you said Greyland...that would work nicely for what you want and I would totally suggest it. Also, Czech and Speake #88 has that sort of dark, melancholy, rose feel to it. Other than that, explore and take your time. There are a lot of amazing fragrances out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake S View Post
    I am looking for a new fragrance and am completely green in this area so I'd appreciate any help.

I am fairly sick of the 'watery' and 'cool' colognes (Acqua di gio for instance) but I like the 'sophistication' air of them. I am really looking for something with a bit more uhh manliness (not too much) and mystery, even a little surprising. Darker tones, a little bit more ballsy (again not too much) but charming nonetheless, to compliment my personality (or maybe just to pretend! )

I really have zero clue how to translate these themes into smells so I am hoping for a bit of advice!

I like what I've read on here about Montale Greyland, and L'Homme Sage.

Would love any advice, use your imagination.

Jake

It's been a really long time since I went shopping for men's fragrance. I'd suggest next time you're in a shop, sniff YSL's Kourus. That's always been one of my favorites, however, I'm not sure it's still timely. Worth a smell though.