Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Yes, I was part of the Posse but what about us threatens the ladies?

I had the wonderful opportunity to accompany my girlfriend to Perfume Posse's Chi-Cocoa Sensation tour here in Chicago this past Saturday. Though I don't need much arm-twisting to go sample frags, I was a bit intimidated at first by all the ladies being one of 3 males in a coven of over 20 ladies. I was pleasantly surprised by the ladies' enthusiasm for frags and got to the opportunity to sample new men's frags as well. One Posse member made the comment that she found the B-notes reviews to be very articulate and informative so pat yourself on the back.

But the question I have is why aren't there more females on Basenotes? When I mentioned that I was a B-notes regular, they seemed to imply that B-notes was for men and that sites like Perfume Posse & Makeup Alley were theirs alone. It's no secret that the ratio of men to women here is around 75%-25% but what makes that so? I mean, it's not like were a bunch of cro-magnum men dragging our knuckles on the ground. Sure, we're knowledgeable & opinionated but threatening to the ladies? I don't get it.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Yes, I was part of the Posse but what about us threatens the ladies?

hear that sound???

That's my knuckles dragging on the ground
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

AromiErotici

Default Re: Yes, I was part of the Posse but what about us threatens the ladies?

I wondered the same thing since I started coming on BN. Maybe potential browsers aren't comfortable becoming regulars or members due to the 4 to 1 ratio.

Before I landed here, I looked around and this was comfortable for me because of the ratio. I assumed I get could better intel on male frags. It only stands to reason.

I'd love to see more female members populate the site. They have a different perspective on scents than I do...that's for sure.

I think that those other sites are probably operated by women, but I'm not sure. They present themselves in a manner more friendly to women. The look, the focus, the attitude of those sites are more feminine in nature, and they focus on feminine products. At least that's how they strike me.

Basenotes is more businesslike, and you have to go down into the menu system to get to the female discussion group, which is only one part of a much larger system. The other sites have an obvious up front appeal towards women, beginning with their home pages, but the more businesslike presentation of Basenotes' doesn't really entice women that way.

The segregation of the Men's and Women's group here has pluses and minuses. Most people think that it's nice for each group to have an area they can call their own, but this tends to limit interaction between the men and women posters, and divides the community. I don't think that the other sites are divided this way, having a central area for everyone.

Perhaps some women BNers could offer some of their thoughts about this. I'd like to hear them.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 19th September 2008 at 12:27 PM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I think that those others sites are probably operated by women, but I'm not sure. They present themselves in a manner more friendly to women. The look, the focus, the attitude of those sites are more feminine in nature, and they focus on feminine products. At least that's how they strike me.

Basenotes is more businesslike, and you have to go down into the menu system to get to the female discussion group, which is only one part of a much larger system. The other sites have an obvious up front appeal towards women, beginning with their home pages, but the more businesslike presentation of Basenotes' doesn't really entice women that way.

The segregation of the Men's and Women's group here has pluses and minuses. Most people think that it's nice for each group to have an area they can call their own, but this tends to limit interaction between the men and women posters, and divides the community. I don't think that the other sites are divided this way, having a central area for everyone.

Perhaps some women BNers could offer some of their thoughts about this. I'd like to hear them.

noggs
    You hit it on the head aesthetically speaking. The 'look' upon entering sets the tone and feel and it is "businesslike"........but I personally prefer that layout than the more feminine approach that you speak of from other sites that are female dominated.

I think that those others sites are probably operated by women, but I'm not sure. They present themselves in a manner more friendly to women. The look, the focus, the attitude of those sites are more feminine in nature, and they focus on feminine products. At least that's how they strike me.

noggs

noggs, I.m all for INTEGRATION!
    some ladies find the MF a little"rowdy" though

Basenotes was the first Perfume Forum For Men ever. That has been the key to their permanent success and immense growth! There is really no alternative for men into perfumes. If you look at numbers (of posts, reviews, whatever), being predominantly a male forum is why it's unique among perfume boards. The feminine board was a rather late innovation in the history of this site. The male forum being kicked down to place six on the main menu really does not reflect its special strength .

I am here for three reasons:
    - The Male Fragrance Discussion
    - A review section where men write honest perfume reviews for other men
    - The best directory for discontinued fragrances

I should add that excellent reviews of female perfumes have also been written of course. All other perfume forums of the world are for women primarily. Most of them seem to welcome the presence of men. But not much of a male fragrance discussion takes place over there. I prefer the way things have been arranged here ! And besides: Grant is the coolest of all hosts! :brolly:
    Last edited by narcus; 20th September 2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: grammatical errors
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

As Narcus mentioned, when the site launched in 2000, it was launched as a 'men's fragrance site', the female board and the feminine fragrances were added to the directory in 2004. We've now had more time as a male/female site than a male site (by a month or so), though the numbers of women have grown, we are still very male dominated.

People still tend to view the site as a 'men's' site, though, which is a shame.

I'd love to get our female user numbers up to match the men, but short of turning the site pink, and putting flowers everywhere I don't know how best to do that (Grant ducks for cover for making cheap stereotype-based statements...)

I should also add that the female members we do have are extremely loyal and shout about BN as much as poss! Cheers!

I like the focus of Basenotes towards a male oriented board. As Narcus mentioned, nearly all, if not entirely all, the other perfume sites are dominated by women. Even though men do participate on those boards, they are usually in a small minority. There are plenty of perfume sites out there catering to women. It is nice to have one of our own, where we can be ourselves and hang out with our buddies.

I suppose we want to have our cake and eat it, too. We like having our own place but bemoan the fact that there is little participation by women. But the boards on Basenotes are divided by general fragrance category, not by sex of the posters. There's nothing stopping women from posting to the mens' board if they want to comment on mens' fragrances and likewise for us men posting to the womens' board to discuss womens' frags.

I suppose we men must feel a little sorry for the women here, who are so few on their own BN board. We like the site and believe it to be a damn good one. Would we all feel better if the womens' board had participation equal to that of the male board?

We could help ourselves out by being more active on both boards. Men generally don't know that much about womens' frags and vice versa. We could increase our knowledge while building community relations.

One reason that women gravitate to the other websites is the strong, guiding presence of women there, women like Victoria or Marina or Columbina who stamp the board with their personalities. Basenotes doesn't have that Mother/Sister figure, but those other sites are more like personal blogs than true boards like here on Basenotes.

I think the best thing for the womens' board is for the women themselves to actively promote the board and draw in new members. Given the lack of a strong feminine personality guiding the site, and a more serious, more specialized concentration on fragrance rather than on lipstick or eyeliner or other feminine accoutrements, that might prove tough to do. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it's up to the women there to make it a place where other women want to be.

Sorry for hitting on so many different things here. I haven't thought any of this through, just tossing out ideas.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 19th September 2008 at 12:30 PM.

I like the fact that on basenotes people go really deep into how a perfume is made, the industry aspect of it. I donīt want to hear fancy fairytales from marketing guroīs, I donīt want to read reviews from people who are over the moon with how natural a perfume is when, if you get down too it, Annick Goutal is not an all natural perfumer.

I like it that Basenotes is more to the point, more brutally honest. In my day to day life I work with all most all men and most of my friends are men, because when I ask for an opinion I want to get an honest opinion and not the very female thing of still answering what you think people want to hear.

The female side of this forum is still honest, outspoken, and we are ourselves, even if it means our interest in perfume is the only feminine thing about us. We do talk about things outside of perfume and if you read it often you do get a feeling for the person behind the perfumes, but it doesnīt have this īIm better than thouī tone, which I do find elsewhere.

MUA is also not that friendly in a way, people are always looking for a bargain or trying to feel better about themselves by what they wear and own in terms of perfume and cosmetics. Here, itīs the opposite, we love perfume and we like people who also love perfume and we want to help them find more perfumes and we like to surprise one another without expecting the world in return.

Basenotes.com is about perfume, for perfume and honesty. People arenīt afraid to say things that might not be popular opinion and I donīt think people hold back or try to fit in better.

I <3 basenotes
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

One reason that women gravitate to the other websites is the strong, guiding presence of women there, women like Victoria or Marina or Columbina who stamp the board with their personalities. Basenotes doesn't have that Mother/Sister figure, but those other sites are more like personal blogs than true boards like here on Basenotes.
    I fully agree here, especially them not being a true board part.

I love Basenotes the way it is.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    I love Basenotes the way it is.
    Me too.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I think I had been on Basenotes a year before I heard someone comment that it had started out as a men's fragrance board only, and this surprised me. True, the men's forum has a lot more participation, but I've never felt this was an overtly male-dominated site. I have always felt that it is a gathering place for fragrance-lovers first & foremost. I googled a fragrance, found a Basenotes review, and soon discovered a community where people were talking about it and hundreds of other scents. What is there to feel threatened by?

And I beg to differ with noggs about the lack of strong, guiding women here. There are 4 or 5 mother/sister figures who have taken me under their wing, more who have done the same for others, and several who have stamped our board with their larger-than-life personalities, who offer a stunning wealth of perfume knowledge, guidance, and support, and who work very hard to encourage discussion and development.

This is the first fragrance site I became involved in, and it has set a standard that other sites haven't met. (For one, the discussion board layout is 100x more user-friendly than That One Site!)
    Sniff and let sniff.

I am a lady, or like to think so!

I was drawn to Basenotes more than any other forum for the fact that it does have more of a male participation than the others. There seems to be more of a focus on fragrance and the prescence/impact it has on our lives, and the knowledge base seems to be more serious. And no, the rowdiness or bawdiness or whatever doesn't bother me a bit - it always makes me smile. The demographic overall seems to be more varied as well - not just by gender, but age, nationality, etc. There's a fluffy element to some of the other forums that always made my eyes roll.

Just my two cents, however devalued they may be by now.

Cheers,
    J.

Woman here.

I like the ratio of men to women here, which is not a surprise considering that most of my friends in person are men. I like that this web site, unlike other perfume sites, really has nothing to do with makeup. I love makeup, but it has nothing to do with perfume. I like that it's pretty intellectual here. I like the format, which highlights the fact that it's a place for serious discussion.

AromiErotici

This is a good thread. I also like that there's no elitist attitudes here. The people here that are knowledgeable and have a good nose always offer their opinions or insight without any haughtiness.

Take foetidus for example. To me, this member gives BOMB reviews and as excellent as his descriptive language is, his speech is not the least bit heavy-handed. The man simply has grace in his tongue and is friendly when offering his view on a fragrance.

There are others as well who's reviews I give regard when I'm researching something. I am a member here because of this.

I can see how BN can be intimidating to an average woman.

But why would you want average women here?

JK

Historically, though - I hope Grant forgives me for saying this - BN has not been too welcoming to female posters. It's much different now than what I remember even not that long ago - much more female posters.

Doesn't bother me, but woment tend to be more sensitive as a rule, and some of you Gents react rather...um...breastbone-beating-gorilla-man-like.

No offence, please.

I'm not a huge fan of the separation of the fragrance forums, as I find that men often offer a totally different perspective (and, hence, historically I post on the Male Forums more, which, in turn, might bother some of the male participants).

On the other hand, I do understand that men may want to have a place where they can discuss things like fragrances (in General Public Opinion - more of a girly thing; don't ask me why) in a masculine environment without all that girly giggling and pink hearts and sparkles all over the place.
    Last edited by FroFro; 19th September 2008 at 07:47 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I can't remember how I found Basenotes - Googling for frag info/reviews, I suspect. I like it very much here - as others have noted there's a level of seriousness here (seriousness about scent, not seriousness of tone) that I appreciate.

...even if I do have to go wash off all the gross boy cooties after every visit!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    I can't remember how I found Basenotes - Googling for frag info/reviews, I suspect. I like it very much here - as others have noted there's a level of seriousness here (seriousness about scent, not seriousness of tone) that I appreciate.

...even if I do have to go wash off all the gross boy cooties after every visit!
    I agree about the seriousness and the cooties.

I think there should be one SotD thread for both men and women.
    I'm very interested in learning about fragrances marketed to women, and the mini-reviews people sometimes post with their SotD posts can intrigue me to try a perfume, or at least know it exists and have someone's thoughts about it. I read the SotD thread on the FFD forum sometimes, and I kind of like it more than here. There's a lot of mini conversations and people go on about the weather and how it suits their scents, how their day went, etc.. I like that.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I love to visit the Female Forum and would loved to have attended the Posse roundup. I find Basenotes Female Fragrance Forum posts for the most part to be friendly, informative and very open to male 'visitors' such as myself (as the Male Fragrance Forum is to female 'visitors' I might add). I also find their discussions on that female Board seem to be much like discussions I have overheard between women in most any group: very solicitous of each other's health, welfare and life events in addition to specifics about who is wearing what fragrance. The Male Forum, on the other hand, seems a bit more down-to-business about fragrance discussions as a rule and testosterone does seem to shake it's fist on occasion. Both Boards are lively, interesting and well worthy of daily visits.

Bravo!
    Last edited by kbe; 19th September 2008 at 08:05 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Here's a case study in this interesting issue.
    I posted a thread here, "Favorite Character's Scent" with the intent that people talk about what they imagined a famous historical or literary character would have worn. As of this afternoon, 375 visits to the site, some lively discussion.
    I posted a companion thread on the Women's forum. 179 visits, but so far I'm the only contributor.
    The numbers indicate something, and I think the responses and non-responses indicate something.
    Any thoughts on this?
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    I read the SotD thread on the FFD forum sometimes, and I kind of like it more than here. There's a lot of mini conversations and people go on about the weather and how it suits their scents, how their day went, etc.. I like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I also find their discussions on that female Board seem to be much like discussions I have overheard between women in most any group: very solicitous of each other's health, welfare and life events in addition to specifics about who is wearing what fragrance. The Male Forum, on the other hand, seems a bit more down-to-business about fragrance discussions as a rule and testosterone does seem to shake it's fist on occasion.:
    Ahem

Speaking seriously (testosterone kicking in, maybe?), I think a little discussion about the whole experience you had with your fragrance of the day is nice too, and makes things more interesting to the readers. The effect that your fragrance had on your day and your day on your fragrance.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

That was tried earlier this year (April - May). The results are in the Scent of the Day Archive forum. To my mind, the experiment ended prematurely. No one ever explained the decision to separate the threads again.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 19th September 2008 at 09:18 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

BN is where it all began for me. I too was researching a fragrance, landed in the directory, and here I am still! I checked out The Other Place and find navigation here to be so much easier. It also seems more conversational. I wouldn't say the graphics are more "business-like;" rather, more understated and less elaborate. Nothing wrong with that!

Please don't re-open that can of worms! My nervous heart is a-flutter.

I read the SotD thread on the FFD forum sometimes, and I kind of like it more than here. There's a lot of mini conversations and people go on about the weather and how it suits their scents, how their day went, etc.. I like that.
    We like that too! And I think it diminished during the combined SotD experiment. As I recall, during the voting there were women who preferred the combined, women who didn't, and then women who switched their votes from combined to individual after a week or so. By the end, a clear majority of women voters preferred having their own SotD thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    That was tried earlier this year (April - May). The results are in the Scent of the Day Archive forum. To my mind, the experiment ended prematurely. No one ever explained the decision to separate the threads again.
    The men's forum doesn't serve birthday cake! I think we ladies just found it more difficult to pore thru all the gentlemen's "business" and find out what our girlfriends doing, how's the family, and all the other chit chat that goes on in the ladies' room.

I suppose we men must feel a little sorry for the women here, who are so few on their own BN board. We like the site and believe it to be a damn good one. Would we all feel better if the womens' board had participation equal to that of the male board?
    No need to feel sorry for us, in my opinion! I personally find the amount of participation on the women's side to be just fine, and the amount of activity on the men's side is a little overwhelming to me. This could be because it's what I'm used to; BN is the only community I participate in.

I respect that BN is the only forum that gives men a place to talk about men's fragrances. I think it is important that this is preserved. I occasionally post to the men's side, and I know there are fellows who drop in on the ladies to ask questions or offer opinions. This is a good thing and serves fine to achieve integration when needed. Plus, we have the Industry, Off Topic, and other forums for getting friendly.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it's up to the women there to make it a place where other women want to be.
    I say it already is.

And I'd like to second what Tang said about the presence of "strong, guiding women" on Basenotes. I think she's absolutely right.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 19th September 2008 at 11:46 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I can only speak for myself, and I don't consider myself an "average" woman or blogger or whatever (what is an "average" woman, btw?). The main thing that has always bothered me here (and still does) is the male/female segregation. I totally get the historical reasons behind it, but I wish to see these walls disappear. I wear and own more unisex and male frags than feminine ones, and being equipped with a husband, I have an opinion on many masculine scents. Yet, I don't feel 100% welcome on the male side of this site (even though things have greatly improved in recent months).

I like basenotes for the depth of the discussion and the non-cliquey atmosphere (unlike MUA, where I can't bring myself to post, both because of the dynamics and a general air of hostility towards most bloggers), and I think it's a brilliant resource, so I'm here to stay. I just wish not to feel like I'm expected to stay in the pink zone.

First of all I would like a general non-gendered area for fragrance talk... I feel the double posting between male and female frags to be repetitive. I mean maybe keep the male and female areas for SUPER SPECIFIC outlet for gendered talk on frags but I'm gonna hop over to the camp of people who don't give a damn how fragrances are gender marketed.

I also believe due to the differences that some have posted about basenotes compared to other blog sites, it requires most posters (women or men) to really have a more assertive and in some ways independent attitude towards community. What I think is that the other sites with leading single personalities or cliques make it easier for growing casual readers and followers... but I prefer what I witness on the basenotes community as being a more egalitarian endeavor. As a result I feel this inspires many of us (who keep returning) to become more dedicated to the subject of perfumery and love of perfumes and act with a spirit of comradeship ... in our pursuit of consuming fragrances.

Second, I really really love the personal wardrobe portion of basenotes, it's so very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by the non blonde View Post
    I like basenotes for the depth of the discussion and the non-cliquey atmosphere (unlike MUA, where I can't bring myself to post, both because of the dynamics and a general air of hostility towards most bloggers), and I think it's a brilliant resource, so I'm here to stay. I just wish not to feel like I'm expected to stay in the pink zone.
    In the three + years that I've been here, I have NEVER been aware of even the slightest annoyance when the women join the men's discussions; as a matter of fact, the opposite is true: the women's points of view are highly appreciated, and we (I hope I can speak for most) are pleased that you join in.

AmomiErotici - Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by foetidus; 20th September 2008 at 01:06 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Good topic!
    I've been a member of basenotes since October 2005 but I had been reading the board for quite a while before that. The site had a reputation for being THE place to go if you wanted to learn about base notes. Get it...basenotes for base notes. Aromatherapy had helped me deal with migraines. During that time, I discovered that I dearly love(d) those long, lingering notes & I wanted to learn more about them. So here I am & here I remain.

To this day, I participate more on the men's board than I do on the women's. However, I do post on the women's board. Perhaps it's just a habit that I read the "new posts" first, so I post more there. Most of the new posts are on the men's forum.

I enjoy the "company" on basenotes. If one of the members is habitually snarky or rude, I just "ignore" their posts. I've only had to do this to two people & I think they've both been banned since.

Overall, basenotes has informed members, doesn't tolerate a lot of BS, is really & truly moderated, has talented writers, both as members & as contributors. I enjoy the generosity I've shared here. Participation on other boards is limited, compared to the full range of experiences available here. There's just so much to do, to read, to enjoy. It's a veritable feast of all things fragrance!

Besides...I found fellow barbeque lovers here, so I'm NOT leaving, no way, no how! Does anyone think Christopher Brosius will make a barbeque scent? Just askin'
    Last edited by RHM; 20th September 2008 at 01:43 AM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I absolutely would love much more participation from the female side....and would combine into one big "unisex board".....i believe that fragrances and the notes that define them are outside the boundaries of marketed "gender", and only suit specific skin and personality.....and thus while i know a little bit about "male/unisex" scents I know very little to nothing about the "female" marketed perfume and would love to learn much, much, much more.....

Honestly...i do believe soon enough it will come to this anyway.....it should. =)
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 20th September 2008 at 02:05 AM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

AromiErotici

I ENJOY it when the women offer opinions and their expertise on whatever subject is being discussed in the male forum.

Hopefully, this thread will persuade more female participation.

I don't feel threatened here. In fact, like some of the others, I came here for the "no BS", detailed and passionate discussion of fragrance. I don't mind separate forums as it helps keep things tidy. And besides, anybody can go to the other side, so to speak.

I was one of those who asked for separate SotD threads. As another poster said, the culture of the women's discussion was very different than the men's. To me the information and chat was swallowed up in the male fragrance roll call that seems to be the men's SotD thread tendency.

I do not feel at all sheepish about trying men's fragrances and discussing them on the men's board. However, I do feel that many men are not comfortable trying women's frags, and therefore, the question might be, what about the women's board intimidates the men

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    what about the women's board intimidates the men
    It's not intimidating. It's just not interesting.

I didn't realize there were so many women participants in the men's forum until I read this thread - and that's a good thing, because it means I don't notice and don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromatic View Post
    It's not intimidating. It's just not interesting.
    Yes, my point exactly. Most men are not interested in fragrances that are traditionally marketed to women.
    Last edited by Asha; 20th September 2008 at 04:04 AM.

I was surprised to see the question asked in the title, so I had to read.

There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about why I love Basenotes. I don't visit those other sites because I've never had the need or desire to. Everything I want is right here.

To answer the question though, I'm not threatened at all. I post on the men's boards sometimes and have never, ever felt unwelcome. In fact, I often see men thanking women for posting their thoughts in the male threads. And I have to say, I looove reading the men's boards. Aside from the serious fragrance discussion and vast knowledge (which are the reasons I joined this site - for the women's perspective too, of course) I'm thoroughly entertained by the friendly banter among the men. I love man banter. Except when it gets gross but there are plenty of respectful gentlemen here who cut that out pretty quickly - it's none of my female-reading-a-male-thread-at-the-time business but I appreciate seeing it done.

Twice now I've been directed to MUA by perfume lovers I've met (they were fragrance sales associates), after telling them I was a Basenotes member. Each told me Basenotes was more a site for men while MUA is more for women. I don't want a site about makeup that includes perfume, I want a site about perfume. I think I will make it a point from now on to educate future perfume lovers I meet about the great resource Basenotes is and how wonderful everyone is and, of course, how non-threatening the men are.

to further my point i dont think we need a separate board for males and females for the simple fact that you can always pick and choose which thread to click on or view...and just by hovering with the mouse over the thread title I'm easily able to figure out if i want to go on any further by clicking on it.....and with time, we know what to expect from our basenoters...

P.S ladies, you'd be shocked...but i say vast majority of male basenoters are very interested in female marketed fragrances.....if not for themselves than at least for someone they know.

P.S II - i personally own and wear 7 fully female marketed scents and would loooooove to expand that collection
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    I don't want a site about makeup that includes perfume, I want a site about perfume.
    I so agree! (But also, too, I have to add I've met some really nice ladies on MUA, as well!) The forum here is much easier to navigate and search.
    Last edited by Aiona; 21st September 2008 at 12:00 AM. Reason: added link to search function

This has been a really helpful thread for me to read.

My experience here has been wonderful, on both "sides" and there is no way I would have learned about fragrances for men, for both myself (totally with you here, acceptfacts) and my husband, on the other more female dominated forums, (which I also feel are difficult to navigate upon and have felt clique-ish). I don't see the site as business-like, but just more clear. And we have plenty of smilies with which to decorate the posts --->

I, also, came here for the reviews, and was intrigued by the community to decrease a sense of isolation with my perfume "hobby". My biggest beef has had do with the difficulty I've felt with the search function, and feeling scared to bring up subjects that may incur a reprimand for not adequately searching. This seems to happen more on the men's side, but may just have to do with higher numbers of male participants on the forum. Don't take me wrong: I've never been personally hurt by this occurrence, but rather witnessed it happening, albeit in much deserved situations. Everyone's been great to me. I'm a pretty new member, and am sure I'll feel more comfortable as time moves on, and my searching gets better. I'm NOT trying to hijack this thread to become about searching, but rather to point out the difference in the directness of male vs. female members.

I've found it intriguing to see the difference between the tenor of the SOTD threads between genders. It's like a psychology experiment. I wasn't part of the joint experience with the SOTD threads, so I can't speak to that, but it certainly makes me curious.

And here's some very business-like cake for the guys:

AromiErotici

And here's some very business-like cake for the guys:

Thank you.........I'll take a BIG slice of that.

Nothing, we just don't worship old-fashioned, french, aldehydic, powdery scents like the ladies plus most the perfume ladies in the know have their blogs and website traffic/income to tend to ...

One things for sure: the diversity and quality of reviews in the Basenotes directory is unmatched anywhere on the net (including MUA)
    Last edited by zztopp; 21st September 2008 at 04:12 AM.
    -

It's very simple

Grant is a well educated very rare IQ at the boiling point in Fahrenheit unlike most of us who are in the room temperature range, And the colors are damn well comforting and where else do you see zztop all three in one place?

And what we're all doing is encouraging each other to buy and squirt lovely essences that make the world around us a better place. A more peaceful place. A place where kids can thrive and grow and of course the zztop thing you know...

and but so... I've said enough. I'll go now

it really doesn't get much better unless you're listening to 'Joy Division' while you read and write here.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 21st September 2008 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    This has been a really helpful thread for me to read.

My biggest beef has had do with the difficulty I've felt with the search function, and feeling scared to bring up subjects that may incur a reprimand for not adequately searching. This seems to happen more on the men's side, but may just have to do with higher numbers of male participants on the forum. Don't take me wrong: I've never been personally hurt by this occurrence, but rather witnessed it happening, albeit in much deserved situations. Everyone's been great to me. I'm a pretty new member, and am sure I'll feel more comfortable as time moves on, and my searching gets better. I'm NOT trying to hijack this thread to become about searching, but rather to point out the difference in the directness of male vs. female members.

I've found it intriguing to see the difference between the tenor of the SOTD threads between genders. It's like a psychology experiment. I wasn't part of the joint experience with the SOTD threads, so I can't speak to that, but it certainly makes me curious.

There ARE ocasions in the male forum when some members tell off a member for not having done a search function first, but that is in the case of a Thread Starter and not posters, in any case it should NOT happen if a lady posts or starts a thread.

I have been seriously interested in perfume for 8 months, and a member of Basenotes for only the last two weeks, but it has enriched my hobby no end, both in terms of knowledge gleaned and the great sense of community. Prior to joining BN I only visited the mostly female sites hosted by a "mother/sister figure", and these were perfect for me in my newbie phase, and I still feel very comfortable there and very warm towards the women who nurtured my interest. But by also interacting on Basenotes I feel I have the best of both worlds: I can initiate threads rather than respond purely to content posted by moderators, and I feel I know just about enough about perfume now to spread my wings in this much bigger and less directional pond!

I have to say that when I first joined, there were almost no women here and almost no reviews on womens perfume. I learned about basenotes.com from somethingawful.com and the advice on perfume was excellent but there was little knowledge on the female end.

I'm very happy this has improved and if you want to know anything, anything at all about any perfume basenotes.com is the place to be. MUA is very picky in its own way, example :if you want to wear masculine scents as well, or if you don't give a damn about cosmetics (other than trading it for juice).

Give me basenotes all the way and I think the site and forum will only improve with time to come.

Regarding SotdD, I do enjoy reading what people do during the day and a mini review on a fragrance. You can learn so much by these ' random' reviews and you might pick up a new fume to put on your test list
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I came here firstly to read the reviews, and then after following just about every link on the page found the forum.
    I like the business-like attitude, the straightforwardness of it. That's not to say I don't also enjoy the fact that on the female sotd for instance it's more conversational, but I do enjoy that the whole site isn't like that. I have found that some female oriented/directed sites (not just scent/cosmetics themed) are a bit too full on love-fest for me, so I imagine that if you're comfortable in that environment BN is a bit more reserved.
    Plus I love that BN isn't pink, filled with endless tweeness and generally like the internet equivalent of a antimacassar loo roll cover that some sites are. If it being mostly male is what keeps it that way then I'm happy to be in the minority.

Maybe on April fools Grant can turn basenotes.com into a pink frilly site to remind us all what we are missing

Quote Originally Posted by chaoskitty View Post
    I came here firstly to read the reviews, and then after following just about every link on the page found the forum....
    Plus I love that BN isn't pink, filled with endless tweeness and generally like the internet equivalent of a antimacassar loo roll cover that some sites are. If it being mostly male is what keeps it that way then I'm happy to be in the minority.
    Your route in is exactly the same as mine, Chaoskitty, only it took me many months to notice there was a forum, "numpty" that I am!

You are spot on about the offputting pink of MUA - that didn't endear it to me, as well as the general cosmetics coverage, while the little figures on the top of the Perfumeoflife site are distinctly lacking in gravitas! Sniffapalooza is purple and has a silly name, but I have a feeling it is more serious than it appears, given the links I have seen to it from other, non-pink and fluffy blog sites.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Your route in is exactly the same as mine, Chaoskitty, only it took me many months to notice there was a forum, "numpty" that I am!

You are spot on about the offputting pink of MUA - that didn't endear it to me, as well as the general cosmetics coverage, while the little figures on the top of the Perfumeoflife site are distinctly lacking in gravitas! Sniffapalooza is purple and has a silly name, but I have a feeling it is more serious than it appears, given the links I have seen to it from other, non-pink and fluffy blog sites.

The placement of the links to the search function and specially to the "Community" is not ideal, it is hard to see and find them when a new visitor comes to the main BN page.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    It's very simple

Grant is a well educated very rare IQ at the boiling point in Fahrenheit unlike most of us who are in the room temperature range, And the colors are damn well comforting and where else do you see zztop all three in one place?

And what we're all doing is encouraging each other to buy and squirt lovely essences that make the world around us a better place. A more peaceful place. A place where kids can thrive and grow and of course the zztop thing you know...

and but so... I've said enough. I'll go now

it really doesn't get much better unless you're listening to 'Joy Division' while you read and write here.
    Are you going to continue to bogart that my friend or be willing to pass the chronic?

there was talk about having the whole approach to basenotes before use, kind of like what they do on the better airlines. They do still do this right? I know the short hops are kinda fly however your comfort level is but...

I'm sure if there's more interest expressed there could be a sticky familiarizing you where essentially things are stored and which buttons do whatever, and would you be so kind as to help any children or elderly folk in the very rarest of 1 billionth of 1% possibility that the wrong thing gets sprayed around.

I could suggest it to a mod or Grant if the price was right.

ya know?

please remember that only supporters are allowed to provide their own alcoholic beverages. This is strictly enforced and any questions should be directed to the appropriate moderator or to Grant and under no circumstnances am I to be alerted unless it's an invitation and transportation with a return trip is guaranteed.

Thanks
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 21st September 2008 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Are you going to continue to bogart that my friend or be willing to pass the chronic?
    my good sir my normally double vision quadruples and the right eye is laced with a slow drooling like tear whenever I partake.... man. is that you Mick?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 21st September 2008 at 07:30 PM.

AromiErotici

my good sir my normally double vision quadruples and the right eye is laced with a slow drooling like tear whenever I partake.... man. is that you Mick?
    Please refrain from any eye weeping, multi-vision endeavors from now on.

The image that conjures is going to make me submerge myself in a vat of Quorum while smoking a very cheap cigar and partaking in a glass of $4 champagne.

Mick I am not.......however, I was born and raised not too far from Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Please refrain from any eye weeping, multi-vision endeavors from now on.

The image that conjures is going to make me submerge myself in a vat of Quorum while smoking a very cheap cigar and partaking in a glass of $4 champagne.

Mick I am not.......however, I was born and raised not too far from Jersey.
    uh huh gimmechampagnewhenI'mthirsty,gimmereeferwhenIwanna gethigh,Whichdirection?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 21st September 2008 at 08:32 PM.

AromiErotici

uh huh gimmechampagnewhenI'mthirsty,gimmereeferwhenIwanna gethigh,Whichdirection?
    Alas my friend, my tank has been full years and years ago growing up in Philly.

Besides, I live a half a world away now and lovin every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    The Male Forum, on the other hand, seems a bit more down-to-business about fragrance discussions as a rule and testosterone does seem to shake it's fist on occasion.
    Are you sure it's a fist that's shaking?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

a wrist maybe?

I was going to start a thread about men/women and fragrance and have decided it loosely fits under this thread.

I was out with a new female friend on Friday night and the subject turned to fragrance (she brought it up actually). When it came out that I knew a considerable amount about the subject and had around 80 or so fragrances, she just said "That's just plain weird".

Somewhat taken aback by this she called her other friend over and asked whether it was odd that a man should know so much about fragrance, her friend on the other hand thought it was wonderful and engaged me in a long conversation about the subject.

I have encountered quite a few women who seem to be uncomfortable with men who are knowledgable about fragrance - odd really since most of the big name noses are men!

Is there an inherent thing with women that they feel fragrance is a female preserve? Note: I am not talking about the female BNers here obviously.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I was going to start a thread about men/women and fragrance and have decided it loosely fits under this thread.

I was out with a new female friend on Friday night and the subject turned to fragrance (she brought it up actually). When it came out that I knew a considerable amount about the subject and had around 80 or so fragrances, she just said "That's just plain weird".

Somewhat taken aback by this she called her other friend over and asked whether it was odd that a man should know so much about fragrance, her friend on the other hand thought it was wonderful and engaged me in a long conversation about the subject.

I have encountered quite a few women who seem to be uncomfortable with men who are knowledgable about fragrance - odd really since most of the big name noses are men!

Is there an inherent thing with women that they feel fragrance is a female preserve? Note: I am not talking about the female BNers here obviously.
    It's the Daddy's Little Girl complex, I think. After all, what girl doesn't want a husband "just like Daddy?" (we later in life know better, but initially that sentiment is there in most cases)

In all seriousness, however, "how men are" are mostly learned by watching - whom else? - one's father. And that's what considered "normal" (even in a disfunctional family, btw, because this "father figure" thing is very powerful stuff). Most dads didn't have a collection of perfume - it just wasn't done. My daddy still doesn't - although I did get him to use an after-shave balm (I told him it was for medicinial purposes - I do what I can).
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro View Post
    It's the Daddy's Little Girl complex, I think. After all, what girl doesn't want a husband "just like Daddy?" (we later in life know better, but initially that sentiment is there in most cases)

In all seriousness, however, "how men are" are mostly learned by watching - whom else? - one's father. And that's what considered "normal" (even in a disfunctional family, btw, because this "father figure" thing is very powerful stuff). Most dads didn't have a collection of perfume - it just wasn't done. My daddy still doesn't - although I did get him to use an after-shave balm (I told him it was for medicinial purposes - I do what I can).
    My daughter in which case will want her boyfriend to smell great then. Actually she does in fact and always insists that he smells good! So maybe it's true!!!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...