Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Maître Parfumeur et Gantier - one bottle, two samples and a glass(or two) of wine

As always..pls pardon and bear with my senseless rantings.....

Certain scents that i came across, changed the way i looked at perfumery, my seriousness towards it reached to a level where i could say, im addicted...Serge Lutens did it with Amber Sultan, Gris Clair, Cedre...TDC did it with Rose Poivree..Montale did it with Blue Amber, Aoud Lime...Creed did it with GIT, Erolfa...L'Artisan did it with Dzhongkha...i cud go on and on as this is my third glass of wine so, ill cut the chase....this list now incudes Maître Parfumeur et Gantier...

When i first joined BN...i used to see guys stack their refrigerators with these red bottles with golden crown caps with red stone on top and i used to wonder...wht planet am i in...wht are these scents?...i had no clue...So, for some one like me who is reading this....this is a house called "Maître Parfumeur et Gantier", it's a company started in 1988 by the great Nose of our times, Jean Laporte (MPG is now headed by Jean-Paul Millet Lage), yes, Jean Laporte is the same legend who formed/created L'Artisan Parfumer back in 1976. this piece of information was enough to get me intrigued about this house...now...about their scents...

Secret Mélange by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier (from a sample):

There is something really mysterious about Secret Melange...it's a clove(rich) based scent yes..but there is a "X" factor to this scent...something tht my nose cant pick but my senses can feel...theres a lot going in here behind the wall of freshly grinded "Cloves" the image tht comes to mind is, taking a handful of cloves and rubbing it against a stone covered with moss and then smellin this surface...the journey from Mid to basenotes is again one of the smoothest accords i have ever sniffed. pure class.
    caltha is very right whn he said it reminds him of Hammam Bouquet..how apt...they don't smell similar atall...but its in the raw, true nature of the accords that gives off the feeling its been made ages before...or maybe centuries before...not an ordinary scent. For someone looking for "that" mysterious scent...look no further.

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier (bottle, vintage formulation):

What a scent. a true masterpiece. one of the most intriguing scents in my wardrobe with the capacity to draw you to it every time you open the wardrobe. it's very spicy/herbal in it's opening then gradually moving in to a very distinct spicy concoction which is almost powdery, evoking images of spices and woods churning...almost like a balm....people expecting Tam Dao kind of sandalwood would be suprised coz both are polar opposites in approach...think of this as a brother of Amber sultan(herbal approach) done in a very sandalwood (barks) kinda way..it's "Intense" but yet beautiful. amazing accords all the way till end...one of the best scents ever...and longevity you ask? it stays forever get the vintage formulation while you can...this ones not to be missed.

does anyone see the similarity in the Herbal Approach between this and Amber Sultan?

Fraîche Badiane by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier (from a sample):

It's a very unique take on fresher scent..no, its not an Aquatic kind...it's more of "citrusy fresh green" with an MPG touch. its doesnt smell anything like Urine as some proclaim...i mean, tht's very very misleading.
    opens with a very controlled and blunt blast of fresh herbs and citrus..if i have to give a relative reference then, think of lemonade with just a touch of sugar and lil bit ginger, coriander leaves and herbs (basil)...this scent in half an hour develops into a very unique accord, the MPG touch...this phase is one of the most satisfying set of accords i have felt. i only have a sample and could only imagine how this must feel with 3-5 sprays...simply divine i must say...if one is lookin for something which is not run of the mill, look no further. move over vetiver based scents..Fraîche Badiane is here to stay...

all in all..there is nothin quite like it out there...it's very unique and at the same time it connects with you. simply marvelous...anyone who is looking to part with their MPG's(vintage formulation only)..Please, PM me (ill buy immediately only if the price is affordable to me)..
    Last edited by jenson; 22nd September 2008 at 05:12 PM.

Default Re: Maître Parfumeur et Gantier - one bottle, two samples and a glass(or two) of wine

You should also try: Parfum d'Habit, Route du Vetiver, Racine, Iris Bleu Gris, Eau des Iles, Centaure, Garrigue and Pour le Juene Homme...the list goes on....

Default Re: Maître Parfumeur et Gantier - one bottle, two samples and a glass(or two) of wine

Very nice reviews mate!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

Glad to see you're enjoying the MPG line jenson - the scents are quite 'adventurous' aren't they?

The 1st MPG scent I ever tried was Route du Vetiver, recommended to me by Basenoters, when I expressed an interest in scents that smelled like dirt. RdV is gloriously dirty, with a very unique berry note. Lasts forever. I plan on using this sparingly, as it is a true treasure in my wardrobe. Please try it.

I also bought Baime and Secret Melange blind last year (from a Basenoter) and enjoyed both, but found I don't 'love' them. Baime is really aromatic - so basil prominent if I over applied it I would get nauseous. It's refreshing, but not in a fresh/aquatic/ozonic way - rather, it's like a freshly torn herb. Pungently refreshing, if that makes sense. SM, well, I'm selling my bottle but I still respect the scent a lot. I have mentioned before that I think it shares a lot of similarities to Noir Epices by Frederic Malle (although many people disagree with me). They both have that shimmery, spicy, powdery vibe. SM does, though, remind me of the holidays. Just sniffing the cap, makes me think of Christmas.

My other MPG scent's I've sampled are:

Jardin du Nil - which is the dirtiest, skankiest floral you've ever smelled. It's wonderful - kind of like Nuit Noire by Mona di Oiro but not so oily. You have to try this scent, if you like florals with civet/animalic properties.

I also tried Jardin du Neroli - which I found a very pedestrian version of neroli/orange blossom. Not my cup of tea, but it's harmless. I kept thinking it smelled like a neroli fragrance that a teenage girl should be wearing, not me.

Bahiana is a lot of fun too - but I think of it more as a summer scent. Fruity, tropical, sweet - it always reminds me of my summer vacation in Puerto Rico. If you like fruity scents, but don't want something that smells too pharmacy/discount store smelling, you'll love this. If you hate tropical/fruity scents, steer clear of this.

A generous Basenoter sent me a sample of Santal Noble, but I haven't gotten around to sampling it yet. From your description above ('brother of Ambre Sultan...with sandalwood') you've piqued my interest.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd September 2008 at 07:41 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    You should also try: Parfum d'Habit, Route du Vetiver, Racine, Iris Bleu Gris, Eau des Iles, Centaure, Garrigue and Pour le Juene Homme...the list goes on....
    Oh yes! i recently brought some 5-7 samples of MPG from a felloew bner (SirSlarty) cant wait to try em out..!

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Very nice reviews mate!
    Thnx Java! lets catch up sometime. this line is some work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Glad to see you're enjoying the MPG line jenson - the scents are quite 'adventurous' aren't they?
    you bet! adventurous is the right word.

Thnx for contributing in such a big way Mike! your reviews have given me some heads up on those scents. theres so much to try in this line! cant wait to try em all!
    Last edited by jenson; 22nd September 2008 at 07:10 PM.

Mike has never tried Santal Noble?! My world tilted a bit on its axis on that little piece of information! MPG is indeed a great house. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ambre Precieux yet. That's one of my favorites. Eau de Iles is the tops for me, though.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Mike has never tried Santal Noble?! My world tilted a bit on its axis on that little piece of information!
    LOL. I will attempt to restore the equilibrium in the universe and sample it very soon Tony.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd September 2008 at 12:00 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

would love to hear your thoughts on Santal Noble Mike.