Code of Conduct

Default Lagerfeld Classic: Gag-worthy! :(

I was walking home today and passed by Filene's Basement and tried on some Lagerfeld Classic. Oh my god! Has it always been so cheap smelling or has it been re-formulated? I had to rush home and wash it off. One tiny spray left a trail of sillage all down 6th Avenue! Embarrassing stuff.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 22nd September 2008 at 10:49 PM.

Default Re: Lagerfeld Classic: Gag-worthy! :(

I only have an old (and very large) bottle. I find it rich and warm and PERFECT for cold weather -- yum! Opoponax heaven! If they've reformulated it, well, I can't judge the new juicef as all I have is vintage stuff.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 22nd September 2008 at 10:57 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

It's been re-done several times I believe, Ruggles. Whether they admit to it or not. When KL Classic first came out, it was really very close to the women's KL Classic, with some butch-er notes incorporated. It was deep and mysterious with an uplift from the orange peel/mandarin note. I think it was one of those scents that had incense notes before those ingredients were acknowledged or popular. However, like other heavies from the '80s it's been cheapened beyond repair. So has the women's version. Herr Karl should be pilloried.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 22nd September 2008 at 10:59 PM.

I have a sample vial of the original, as well as a bottle of KL, but I don't know how old the juice in the sample vial is. It's real bad juice, though. I could never imagine wanting to use it, even if I ran out of everything else! I think it's another one of those frags that works with certain kinds of "skin chemistry."
    Last edited by Bigsly; 22nd September 2008 at 11:23 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Lagerfeld was my brother's signature scent, when him and I were growing up as teenagers. I didn't like it then, and I imagine after reading your encounter Ruggles, it seems like I wouldn't like it now.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I was walking home today and passed by Filene's Basement and tried on some Lagerfeld Classic. Oh my god! Has it always been so cheap smelling or has it been re-formulated? I had to rush home and wash it off. One tiny spray left a trail of sillage all down 6th Avenue! Embarrassing stuff.
    I am inspired to wear this tomorrow in honor of cooler weather. Resinous and balsamic. A complex fragrance with great development, sillage, and longevity. Spice and amber and incense and beauty and wonder.

What more can I say about it? I will close with a quote from another admirer from the Directory:
    How did I live through the 80's and miss this one? Nicely done, slightly sweet and powdery. This one holds up well. I love the Art Deco lettering.

I actually bought a bottle from Filene's a few months back.... I loved it at the time, but it got old real quick... I'm hoping that cooler weather will help this one a bit, but I'm having my doubts...

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    I am inspired to wear this tomorrow in honor of cooler weather. Resinous and balsamic. A complex fragrance with great development, sillage, and longevity. Spice and amber and incense and beauty and wonder.

What more can I say about it? I will close with a quote from another admirer from the Directory:
    How did I live through the 80's and miss this one? Nicely done, slightly sweet and powdery. This one holds up well. I love the Art Deco lettering.
    OMG, that was my review!!!!!
    I am now hanging my head in shame.

I wore it a lot in the '80s and loved it. But I OD'd on it, so I never bought it again. Hence, I've not smelled any of the reformulations. I'm sad if they ruined it; it was really quite lovely in its day. Sweet and sentimental is how I would describe it.

The wife hates it.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I purchased a bottle of it last December and do like it, but I find after an hour of wearing it I start to grow tired of it (and slightly nauseous).

It's a scent that I kind of wish had poor longevity.

This is a really pathetic perfume with a nasty metallic synthetic note plus booze plus powder. I blind bought a 200ml splash in 2005, so you can imagine my disappointment. I gave it to an indigent. Hope she didn't take offense.

I find it hard to fathom why Lagerfeld Classic scent is so reviled by some. My Dad used to wear this a lot - it was his signature scent, I suppose, although he did splash on Dior Fahrenheit from time to time (now there's a repellant stench!). I inherited his last bottle of Lagerfeld Classic and, while I don't use it regularly, I really enjoy wearing it from time to time.

I have the aftershave rather than the EdT or EdC, so perhaps I'm spared the overpowering sillage that some people have mentioned, I certainly don't notice anything too over the top when I wear it. In addition, my bottle dates from the mid-1990s, so is perhaps different in formulation to those available now.

True, this does dry down to a very powdery finish (my wife calls it the baby powder aftershave) but I love the amber and particularly the opoponax which dominate on the way there.

I find Lagerfeld Classic really comforting and rich and I like that this smells like so few other fragrances. I know it's probably sacrilege to say this here on Basenotes, but I don't think this is a million miles away from Habit Rouge - another powder monster - and, call me stubborn, unsophisticated or wilfully perverse if you like, I much prefer the Lagerfeld!

i can totally relate to it in the sense,after trying out so many good ones..it may come across as cheap and sythetic...but there is some charm to it...i especially like it when im going out to a smoky bar or some...the smell of cigarattes and this goes just very well...one other thing which i love to do soetimes with this scent is apply lil bit..just a lil bit a sandalwood oil on area of application and rub it in..and then apply this scent...it just smells wonderful. also, i somehow have a soft spot for lagerfeld scents...can'te with out, Classic, Photo and KL Homme.

I think you may be confusing Lagerfeld Classic's powdery effect - which is reminscent of talcum powder, which in turn is cheap - with the scent itself. I certainly get that from Royal Copenhagen which is even more powdery.

But then I thought about it, and figured that citrus scents smell of even cheaper things like oranges and lemons, so that I was being unfair to the powder. I far prefer powdery scents to actually applying talcum powder.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I think you may be confusing Lagerfeld Classic's powdery effect - which is reminscent of talcum powder, which in turn is cheap - with the scent itself. I certainly get that from Royal Copenhagen which is even more powdery.
    That is an excellent point -- and, wow, is Royal Copenhagen powdery! Coincidentally or not, they both hail from the same time period. I believe that they are at their best when worn lightly. We might be used to spraying too much cologne on these days, and Acqua di Gio they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

But then I thought about it, and figured that citrus scents smell of even cheaper things like oranges and lemons, so that I was being unfair to the powder. I far prefer powdery scents to actually applying talcum powder.
    Renato
    I used to have Aramis talcum powder - that was something really redundant!

I used to have Aramis talcum powder - that was something really redundant!
    I've got Aramis shaving foam which is an excellent product, but scent wise, even more redundant than the talcum powder.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    That is an excellent point -- and, wow, is Royal Copenhagen powdery! Coincidentally or not, they both hail from the same time period. I believe that they are at their best when worn lightly. We might be used to spraying too much cologne on these days, and Acqua di Gio they are not.
    But if applied lightly - well they don't really project much at all.

Also, I've often wondered if Lagerfeld Jako failed miserably because of its ultra powderiness (nearly on par with Royal Copenhagen)? Despite the fact that to my nose it is a much more interesting scent than Lagerfeld Classic.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 23rd September 2008 at 04:11 PM.

The smell always reminds me of sausages. I'm not a fan.

Perhaps to add to your opinion, I just remembered the conversation of two sales ladies chuckling away behind the perfume counter some 7 years ago, where they were discussing the conversation one had had with another sales lady about male scents.

It related to one saying that she would use the line with customers that this or that scent was for the younger man,
    and how this or that scent was for the more mature or older man, and
    how she felt like saying that that scent - pointing to Classic - was for the man who had already died.
    Renato