Code of Conduct

Default Scent to impress suggestion?

Hi fellas im leejuan 26, from Philippines. Im new here at BN. I'd like to ask for suggestions on which scent i should buy for special events use only, a "Go to" if you may. A headturner, compliment magnet scent, one that speaks, "Debonair".

Currently, i regularly use Issey Miyake pour homme(this is my signature scent as it reminds me of my happy college days).

Unfortunately, perfume samples or 1ml vials for sale here is unavailable or uncommon. Stores usually gives them for free WHEN you buy a bottle. While ordering online is costly due to expensive custom tax claiming charges as the SOURCE always post the price on the package. So i only get to try from Tester bottles.

I am contemplating on the following fragrances: Egoist or Egoist Platinum(this is the Egoist available here but also unavailable at the moment), MI or GIT or BdP.

Bet. BdP, MI & GIT, i like their scents but feels like GIT is more suitable for common or daily use scent. I love the reviews about Creeds(seems like what im looking for).

On the other hand, im contemplating between a 30ml MI or a 100ml Unforgivable?

Thanks in advance guys.
    Last edited by leejuan; 23rd September 2008 at 01:50 PM.

Default Re: Scent to impress suggestion?

Welcome to Basenotes, leejuan!

If you have access to Chanel, you could also try Pour Monsieur (regular or concentree, whichever is available in P.I.). I personally prefer PM over Egoiste but it's a close call.

As for MI vs. Unforgivable, I don't think it's even a horse race - MI by a mile. The opening may be the nearly identical for both, but the drydown is where Creed pulls out ahead, both in this case and in other side-by-side comparisons.

For "debonair", you might also want to sample Dior Homme, which should be readily available.

Caveat: All of the above are recommendations of a madman. Take them for what they're worth.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

welcome to basenotes. a fragrance you could try which is very smooth and shouts ''im full of class'' is dolce and gabbana pour homme with dolce and gabbana the one also a contender. there both timeless and in a sense not really everyday use yet thee still used for that. try them out and you might like them.

Opium EDP. This, in fact, will make a statement.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 23rd September 2008 at 06:56 PM.

Guerlain Vetiver; its smooth, its classy, it is easily available, and it should work well in the heat of the Philippines.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Oops, I forgot about the heat; Opium EDP is not good in the heat.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 23rd September 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Off-Scenter

You've gotten some great suggestions so far! For a few other nice, sophisticated fragrances that should be easy to come by, try Jaipur Homme (Boucheron), Heritage and Habit Rouge (Guerlain), The 3rd Man and L'Anarchiste (Caron), and the new Givenchy III.

Hope that's a help!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate it. I'll try all that is mentioned and see what works for me.

If you can find it, give Viktor and Rolf's Antidote a sniff. Try it on skin though, as you only get a tiny hint of the top notes on the card (which gives the impression that the frag is thin, when it's really not!) - the frag evolves significantly on skin.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Dior Homme. It's just right for so many things.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Quote Originally Posted by leejuan View Post
    I am contemplating on the following fragrances: Egoist or Egoist Platinum(this is the Egoist available here but also unavailable at the moment), MI or GIT or BdP.
    Out of these (with the exception of Egoiste which I haven't tried) I think GIT will work best if the climate where you are is hot and humid. Platinum Egoiste becomes unpleasantly pungent on my skin in hot weather, BdP becomes too present and in your face kinda thing, MI is a little too sweet for hot weather, unless you apply it very sparingly. GIT, on the other hand, turns into something absolutely delightful and yummy when it mixes with a little perspiration on my skin in hot weather. It's super versatile too, goes well with a dressy look and a relaxed casual one too.

On the other hand, im contemplating between a 30ml MI or a 100ml Unforgivable?
    In my opinion, MI wins hands down. Smells more natural to me and the drydown is on whole different level than Unforgivable.

Another scent you may want to consider is L'Air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer. I didn't like it at first (or rather, found it very unusual) but after a couple of wearings I was absolutely charmed by its subtle, airy composition, as well as its sillage and longevity which is miles better than any Creeds that I've tried (and I do love my Creeds)... Good luck with your search!

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Out of these (with the exception of Egoiste which I haven't tried) I think GIT will work best if the climate where you are is hot and humid. Platinum Egoiste becomes unpleasantly pungent on my skin in hot weather, BdP becomes too present and in your face kinda thing, MI is a little too sweet for hot weather, unless you apply it very sparingly. GIT, on the other hand, turns into something absolutely delightful and yummy when it mixes with a little perspiration on my skin in hot weather. It's super versatile too, goes well with a dressy look and a relaxed casual one too.

In my opinion, MI wins hands down. Smells more natural to me and the drydown is on whole different level than Unforgivable.

Another scent you may want to consider is L'Air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer. I didn't like it at first (or rather, found it very unusual) but after a couple of wearings I was absolutely charmed by its subtle, airy composition, as well as its sillage and longevity which is miles better than any Creeds that I've tried (and I do love my Creeds)... Good luck with your search!

I've read so many positives about Tauer's L'Air, but unfortunately it is not available here. Even on the store where Creed is available, its nowhere to be found.
    Last edited by leejuan; 25th September 2008 at 02:40 PM.

I've read so many positives about Tauer's L'Air, but unfortunately it is not available here. Even on the store where Creed is available, its nowhere to be found.
    Same problem here in Canada, but I was lucky to obtain a sample from a fellow Canadian basenoter and then ordered my bottle directly from Andy's webstore in Switzerland. He is an amazing guy who takes the time and the effort to reply to all emails and he suggested that I try a sample of LDDM before I buy a full bottle.

I wouldn't buy LDDM blind though, luckily, his webstore offers generous samples of all his scents at very reasonable prices and with cheap worldwide shipping. Try a sample of LDDM and perhaps Incese Rose or the new Vetiver Dance if you like the reviews of those.