Code of Conduct

Default Eau d' Italie Baume du Doge - Any reviews?

Eau d'Italie - Baume du Doge

Known as La Repubblica Serenissima, "the Most Serene Republic", Venice was the Merchant Queen of the oceans and gateway to the East for nearly ten centuries. Born out of the seas and magically built on stilts, its intricate maze of waterways dividing exquisite palazzi in constant competition to display their riches, Venice thrived under the rightful government of its elected leader: the "Doge", a prince among peers.

A universe of glorious luxury, of delicate mosaics, exotic enamels and luscious brocades, permeated throughout by the scent of ever-present spices lingering in the air, while the golden hull of the Bucintoro, the Doge's ceremonial ship, glided along the Grand Canal.

Slowly making their way from India, Persia or China on the backs of mules and woolly Bactrian camels, then aboard daring merchant ships, a world of spices found its way to Venice, their names as exotic as the languages spoken by their traders.

Roots, barks, seeds, pistils, flowers, rhizomes and resins took hold of the local taste, flanking and often blending with local produce. Thus myrrh and frankincense, saffron and clove, cardamom and vanilla met sweet oranges, sharp bergamots and wild fennel in a rich and warm fusion, the use of which ranged from medicine to perfumery, often at the same time. An extraordinary world of preserving balms and fragrant unguents, of which Eau d'Italie is proud to present a contemporary evocation in Baume du Doge, a warm, exciting and rich marriage of sweet orange, spices and resins, as elegant and luxurious as the spinel-red velvet lining the cabin of an 18th century gondola.

Composition: Description
    Head: Calabrian Sweet Orange and Bergamot, Ceylonese Cinnamon, Indian Coriander and Cardamom, French Fennel, Sichuan Black Pepper
    Heart: Myrrh and Frankincense from Somalia, Clove from Zanzibar and Cedar from the Atlas, Saffron
    Base: Vetiver and Vanilla from the Bourbon Islands, Benzoin from Siam

I found it here : http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...oducts_id=4394

Was reading a review on a cologne Sloan is wearing today and played around on the site.

Default Re: Eau d' Italie Baume du Doge - Any reviews?

I doubt I'll get to try it. I love the concept behind it, but it seems too busy.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I didn't smell it myself but had feedback from people that smelled it at Pitti the last week and they told it's an impressive resinous spicy oriental that's not too cloying and very well balanced.
    I look forward to smell it myself being a myhrr nut.

Thanks for the post finsfan...I love that description, the story behind it and tying it to food/medicine. That's the kind of writing that really piques my curiosity!
    Reading this, I'm getting really excited to be going to Venice soon! I've never been before, hopefully I can try this one while I'm over there (I love Sienne L'hiver).

Tried Baume du Doge today - an absolutely delightful blend of spices and incense. It immediately reminded me of something and as soon as SA told me this was composed by Bertrand Duchaufour it dawned upon me - this smells similar to Amuage Jubilation XXV which was also one of his creations. Another entry on the Christmas shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Eau d'Italie - Baume du Doge

Slowly making their way from India, Persia or China on the backs of mules and woolly Bactrian camels, then aboard daring merchant ships, a world of spices found its way to Venice, their names as exotic as the languages spoken by their traders..
    There are no bactrian camels in Persia, never have been. Persian camels are one humped. Companies need to chill with all the pretentious nonsense and just make fine quality fragrances. Why most of the niche companies need to have ludicrous fables for their fragrances is beyond me. Histoire de Parfums I love since the history is the inspiration for the perfumes instead of bogus stories being a foundation for an ustart company that wishes to seem otherwise. I think Eau D'Italie's line (particularly Baume) is formidable but far from extraordinary. Glorified designer scents.

- Al

Basenotes columnist, Michelyn Camen, reviewed Baume au Doge a few weeks ago in her New in Niche column: http://www.basenotes.net/columnists/...-in-niche.html

Basenotes Institution

So, I wore this today for the 1st time - I'd snagged a sample from Scent Bar when I visited last year.

The first smell I smelled, instantly, was a distinct sour frankincense note. It immediately disappeared and was replaced with the orange and cinnamon - just lovely, actually (and my favorite part). It's sheer, slightly minimal and in the dry down became horribly myrhh and saffron prominent (two of my least favorit notes) and that particular accord dominated the last part of the dry down. I really wanted to like this too: Duchaufour. Cinnamon. Eau D'Italie. I was SO there! But alas, this is not my cup of tea. I will stick with my Jubilation XXV, thank you very much.

This doge totally baumed!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I really wanted to like this too: Duchaufour. Cinnamon. Eau D'Italie. I was SO there!
    I had high hopes myself when I tried it; I like all the listed notes! The result is an orange creamsicle dipped in myrrh sauce, discordant, brash and sour. I've tried the entire Eau D'Italie line and it's by far my least favorite.

I got a bottle of this one and like it quite a bit. I'm not really ready to review it but I can recommend it. It has the great incense note structure that Duchaufour is famous for but there is a distinct orange top note. It is light for an incense - great for spring. There is a similarity to Jubilation XXV in it, and also bears a slight familial resemblence to the CdG incense frags too. As in all of Bertrand formulas the blending is outstanding and the scent takes you to a very nice place in its wake.

Basenotes Institution

I am trying this one again, because...you know how those Duchaufour scents are: you try them once, you hate them...you try them again and you sort of like them.

I must echo what I posted above. The opening is just beautifully citrus and cinnamon. Nice and sheer too, perfect for warm weather. The branch, twig, rhizomes concept is evidently present in the top notes for sure. I just felt like I was holding a bunch of dried herbs and spices in my arms and their sticky sap had fragranced my skin. But...

The drydown is when I can really smell the saffron and that combined with the myrrh and benzoin (and the slightly sweet vanilla) is a bit nauseating. It smells foody in a wrongly-seasoned sort of way. You know, like when you go over someone's house and they make something you love to eat (like potato salad or chicken soup) but they season it with the wrong bunch of spices. I swear I can smell something very aromatic in the drydown - something that reminds me of some MPG scents, sort of like basil or cilantro. And this discordant aromatic accord just sticks out like a fly in the ointment.

This Duchaufour fan is going to give BdD one more shot. And then, if I still don't like it, I'm going to stop testing it. The fact that this has the killer note of saffron it, might make it unwearable for me. Which is fine...there's tons of other scents to wear - right?

It`s a very, very nice scent. One of my favourites from the house along with Sienne I`Hiver. Usually, I do not like orange notes in a fragrance, but this one is exotic, spicy, creamy, and delicious. I prefer Baume du Doge over Jubilation XXV no doubt. It`s definitively on my wish-list.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 6th November 2010 at 06:34 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I've been wearing this more the past couple of days (I wore it to boxing class, this morning). It's growing on me.

I realize this has that signature Eau d'Italie/Duchaufour note that I've smelled in Eau d' Italie and Paestum Rose. Whatever it is, it is instantly recognizable (I could pick this out in a blind smell). It is this particular facet that holds my interest.

I'd elaborate more but this scent really doesn't inspire me to do so. I found it rather ho-hum. Nice, but forgettable.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Baume is a confectionery incense. I love it off the wrist, but have yet to wear it. I don't consider it a 'draft' of Jubilation at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It`s a very, very nice scent. One of my favourites from the house along with Sienne I`Hiver. Usually, I do not like orange notes in a fragrance, but this one is exotic, spicy, creamy, and delicious. I prefer Baume du Doge over Jubilation XXV no doubt. It`s definitively on my wish-list.
    -And now I own a bottle!
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 1st September 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Spicy, creamy, and sweet. Orange, myrrh, frankincense, vanilla, benzoin.. How can someone not love this scent? Delicious! I prefer this before JUB XXV.