Code of Conduct

Default A tea fragrance, yes. A run of the mill one, no.

So recently I've really been enjoying scents that play around a tea note. (Bvlgari Black, Tea for Two, Scent Intense, etc. etc.)

Now, I'm looking for something that smells like Houjicha. (The link will explain it)
    This tea, strait out of the bag before brewing probably has one of (if not THE) best tea smells out there IMO, but I've never run across this particular note in perfumery.

If anyone is familiar with this one, have you ever stumbled across a fragrance containing Houjicha as a note?

Also if you've never smelled any un-brewed Houjicha leaf, I'd recommend tracking it down if you can.

I'm not hopeful to get much of a response, but if it rings any bells, any info would be interesting.
    Last edited by Partario; 31st August 2011 at 01:10 PM.

Default Re: A tea fragrance, yes. A run of the mill one, no.

Eau du Fierre by Annick Goutal. A fiery smoky tea (lapsang souchong).

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur. A nice tea perfume.

for swap/sale:

Retroverso Man Tea Tobacco

I've never tried Houjicha, but CDG Tea Leaves smells roasted, like a lapsang souchong.

cacio

Give Midnight In Paris a try. I adore Bvlgari Black and MIP is a different take on similar theme. For MIP, I prefer the EDP concentration.
    Current infatuations:

1. M7
    2. Encre Noire
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. A*Men
    5. Chergui

I love Gucci pour homme II. It has a tea note to my nose.

Blog Entries

I just sent away for Mary Kay's High Intensity and have read about it having a great tea note, maybe djardeeling...deeling......jarling........

whatever, anyways I'm waiting.................

Sounds like you want more of a white tea effect. Have you tried the Bvlgari white tea frag?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Sounds like you want more of a white tea effect. Have you tried the Bvlgari white tea frag?
    I haven't tried that one yet. But actually white tea isn't exactly the range I'm playing in either. Everyone has already given me some great suggestions (yourself included), however I'm familiar with a lot of the ones already posted, and though I enjoy them, they don't have the note I'm looking for.

Houjicha is a bit of a dark horse that's really hard to pin down scent wise. It's not a black tea, and although it's smoked it doesn't really maintain the smokey quality of others such as Lapsang. It's a smoked green, so it still has sort of a fresh quality lingering around that almost whispers at floral, though not exactly. It really doesn't smell like other Asian, Indian, or European black teas, and also doesn't necessarily fully hold on to it's green tea qualities either.

It's a very unique smell, every time I open the bag before I brew it I always inhale very deeply and wonder why it hasn't been made into a fragrance that I know of yet. Which is why I asked the question. Since it's distribution is probably mostly limited to Japan it seems, I'm not too hopeful on getting the answer I'm looking for, though I very much appreciate the suggestions that have already been given. Just figured I'd give it a shot.

L'Artisan's Tea for Two is one of the best fragrances I've smelled. If it had good longevity and projection I'd buy a bottle yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin B Complex View Post
    L'Artisan's Tea for Two is one of the best fragrances I've smelled. If it had good longevity and projection I'd buy a bottle yesterday.
    Agree here.

I actually got pretty good longevity with Tea for Two. Maybe my nose is just wacky.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Eau du Fierre by Annick Goutal. A fiery smoky tea (lapsang souchong).

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur. A nice tea perfume.
    +1 to both of these suggestions, especially Tea for Two; when I put this on I almost want to drink some of it

I'm pretty sure I know the tea you are talking about - maybe, maybe not - but on one trip to Tokyo I was drinking a certain 'toasted' tea in one hotel, didn't get the name, and haven't been able to find it back over here.

Altho it is not the same scent I would add to the suggestions above something that may be interesting to try - you'll need a Cartier flagship though - and that's L'Heure Fougueuse IV from Cartier's "Les Heures" line. It's based around yerbamaté and while one reading of it could easily be 'tea' it also reminds me of sun-dried hay and fresh tatami . . . it has become a staple, which is unfortunate because it's not cheap. Cheers.

+2 for Eau du Fier.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Bvlgari Pour Homme? Nice, subtle tea note!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I actually got pretty good longevity with Tea for Two. Maybe my nose is just wacky.
    How long did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin B Complex View Post
    How long did you get?
    If I remember correctly, probably somewhere in the 5-7 hour mark where I could still smell it, but I remember that there was something else that I wanted to try out that night around that point, so the new smell took over. The longevity might have actually been better than I remember it, I just clouded it out a bit with a different juice.

My nose is pretty sensitive however, so there's a lot of times I think I'm getting great longevity out of something, but really I'm the only person who can even remotely smell it. So take my word with a heavy grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Altho it is not the same scent I would add to the suggestions above something that may be interesting to try - you'll need a Cartier flagship though - and that's L'Heure Fougueuse IV from Cartier's "Les Heures" line. It's based around yerbamaté and while one reading of it could easily be 'tea' it also reminds me of sun-dried hay and fresh tatami . . . it has become a staple, which is unfortunate because it's not cheap. Cheers.
    Now this is something that caught my attention. I'm going to have to check that one out, because oddly enough I've been wondering for a while if any perfumer attempted to craft a tatami smell, so this really peaked my interest. And that's a sleek looking bottle that it comes in as well. Thanks!

Hermes Un jardin medeterrane sp? is a wonderful tea smell.