Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 24 September

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Got to be quick as I'm still in the middle of moving house, though the end is now in sight, thank goodness.
    I'm in La Maison de Vanille, Vanille Sauvage de Madagascar. It's very nice. Thanks Alicka!

And a Prarie Home Companion moment (great podcast!)
    We have moved to a little village in the Zurcher Weinland, very pretty and tradtional. Today I was hanging out washing when I heard really loud cowbells (we've got used to the regular cowbells tinkling away in the field across the road), so went to look out of the front window. There was a procession of cows walking down the road to the winter pasture, wearing decorated head-dresses and huge cowbells. It's a traditional thing. Wonderful!
    http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/even...ent_id=1795793
    It does my heart good to think there are still such places on Earth (she said as, quite literally, a jet roared overhead and cars and motorcycles and trucks vroomed by). Cows, internet and mail delivery--ahhh.

Wearing some Boucheron this evening. Gosh, this is so beautiful.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ChantillyLace View Post
    Scent twins with UBU in COCO Edp. Been waiting for cooler weather. Luv it
    Hooray for Coco!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Kenzo Jungle pour Homme as SotE:

Top Notes
    Sweet Lime, Maté.

Middle Notes
    Nutmeg, Musk mallow Seeds.

Base Notes

Atlas Cedar, Blue Cedar, Benzoin, Guaiac wood
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Love's True Bluish Light today.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    BPAL Twilight this morning, and just put on some L'Eau d'Hiver - for some reason, Turquoisewater, this one lasts very, very well on me. I've even smelled it post-shower, still on my skin. Personal chemistry is weird!
    LedByMyNose, I think BPAL's Twighlight is positively bewitching. Adoreit. Wish more of their fragrances were as unique. Or that I could keep better track of their offerings, it might well be me.

Also love L'Eau D'Hiver, though it's a totally different animal.

Wordie, I want to come visit you and your cows!

more probably tomorrow...
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Belle En Rykiel

I LOVE THE FALL!!! Woo Hoo!!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I continued my week of testing CdG incense samples - I wore Kyoto to work today.

SotE - I tried some Kate Moss Velvet Hour in the drugstore on the way home. My impressions - it's fine, but boring, kinda generic. I was hopeful because there was supposed to be incense, but I couldn't detect any. I will have to try it sometime later, when I haven't been testing the CdG incenses, but I doubt that this one will be full bottle worthy.

michael by michael koors.
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

From Acqua di Parma's Blu Med Line......Mirto
    Gary

Not only do I have wardrobe fragrances I haven't been wearing, I also have a huge backlog of samples (either bought or traded). So, today seemed like a good day for:

Chanel 31 Rue Cambon

Up to now, I had never given it a full wearing. Also, my first sample of this fragrance was a small dabber. Now I have a slightly larger atomizer sample/decant. I am starting to learn that the best way to sample is to start with an atomizer, even if it is a very small one. The dabber just did not give me a good idea of the development. Also at the time, I did not have any decanting supplies, so I was stuck with dabbing.

Anyway, I LOVED this scent when I sampled it with the dabber. But, it seemed really short lived (maybe an hour or two). So, with my spray sample, I did my usual trick of spraying at least 4 sprays on my forearms (so the scent will be trapped by my sleeves).

The first 2 out of 4 hours are magnificient--fermented fruit and dark florals. It is as if they took the boozy part of Coco, amped it up, and reduced the powder and aldehydes. I really don't get a chypre from this at all--it really seems like a fruit/floral to me, but not in the derogatory sense of the classification.

However, after those initial hours, the scent turned sour. My skin really sucks sweetness away, so it is possibly a skin chemistry issue. It had a sort of classic or old fashioned quality--not the modern drydown I was expecting. And nothing at all like the incredible drydown of Coco. It simply smelled sour, musty and "off". That was where it stayed for the rest of the drydown (and is still detectable now, after about 12 hours).

Needless to say, having a thorough test of a fragrance in several contexts is really important, especially if it is an expensive one! I am a bit disappointed--the opening is so amazing and enticing, and the drydown really detracts from the whole experience. Still, it is quite lovely, and I can see why so many people love it.

EDIT: Scent of the Evening is Chanel Coco
    Last edited by Asha; 25th September 2008 at 04:01 AM.

Tested Lutens BOIS DE VIOLETTE today. I really wanted it to move me, but it just didn't. Really nice fragrance, though!

Loved the cowbell story, Wordbird!

Good night, all.

Joop Le Bain