Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Tried many frags. Not sure what to try now. Need advice!

Hi, long time lurker here. I'm a 22 year old student who for the past year or so has been lurking, reading reviews and user comments. I decided to dive into the world of frags and try a lot of recommended fragrances before posting questions. Anyway, I haven't yet found a fragrance that I want to necessarily buy a whole bottle of [except for maybe the Creed stuff, but I think I want to start cheaper]. So far I have been buying samples of a wide variety of fragrances. Here is a list of some I have tried and whether or not I liked them. I read the FAQ and saw that it is a good idea to post what frags you have liked and disliked. I included some thoughts as well. I guess what I'm looking for is a sexy fragrance that not many people have. I am totally aware that not all girls like the same stuff, however, I would really appreciate any input based on your guys' experiences. Also, I am really trying to avoid the extremely ubiquitous frags like AdG, Issey Miyake, Hugo Boss, Curve, Chanel Allure, etc.

Favorites
    *First of all. I was blown away by the Creed fragrances. They really do smell higher quality in my opinion. They also smell less synthetic in general.*
    Creed - BdP, Himalaya (I don't know which one I like more. I worry that BdP might be a bit mature smelling for me, but I did receive some compliments)
    Creed - GIT (liked a lot, but a little too similar to Cool Water to justify the price)
    Bvlgari - Black (I wish this frag evolved more. It is very unique. I have never smelled anything like it. It's burning tire, but in a good way).
    Gucci Envy (Really liked this one. I wish it lasted a bit longer. Also, it is sad that it is apparently reformulated.

Liked
    Cool Water
    CK - Obsession (Enjoyed this a good amount. Excellent sillage and longevity. I like how the scent evolves. It is a bit too sweet and overpowering during the opening though. It is also depressing that apparently they reformulated it)
    212 (This was a surprise like. However, like Cool Water, I want to stray away from really common scents)
    Swiss Army (This was a surprise. I'm not wild about the scent, but it actually garnered a number of compliments)
    Creed - Baie de Genievre (Very nice, but didn't last longer than maybe an hour or two)

Disliked
    Chanel - Egoiste Platinum (talk about pungent! doesn't smell so bad after the first 30 min. though)
    Le Male (absolutely hated this! Smells so artificial. Kinda smells like bubblegum or cotton candy0
    Givenchy Pi (Wayyyy too sweet and the vanilla is way too cloying)
    Versace - Dreamer (Yuck! Way too floral. I also didn't like the strong tobacco note. I least I think that is what I smell).
    Angel Men (Really don't like this and yet women seem to really dig this. I wonder if I should try Rochas Man...)
    Armani Code (I would call this a safe scent. Not very interesting. Also smells kinda soapy)
    Creed - Epicea, Silver Mountain Water, Orange Spice

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had some recommendations for what I should try now.

I'm currently considering getting samples of the following:

YSL - M7
    Chanel - Antaeus
    Dior - Homme
    PARFUMS Series 3 Incense - one of the three (I really like incense-y wood stuff like BdP, so I am curious about this)

Sorry for the long post. I would really appreciate your guys' input! Thanks!

Default Re: Tried many frags. Not sure what to try now. Need advice!

Hi and welcome to Basenotes.

I would say that since your favorites are Bulgari Black and Gucci Envy that you should get those. They are both excellent fragrances that can be had for reasonable costs. I don't know what you mean by Envy being reformulated - I hadn't heard that. I would think it is too new to be reformulated. Both of them have excellent longevity I've found. I've got very dry skin that absorbs scents and Envy lasts at least 8 hours.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Given that you like BdP, get heritage. Cheaper and superior.
    YSL L'Homme is better than Himalaya IMO.
    Burrbery London.
    Kouros Sport or Summer
    Rive Gauche
    Signoricci.
    Concerto Fragonard.

M7 is a good designer oud based oriental but it can turn cloying and medicinal on the wrong skin so maybe you won't like it in that case.
    Antaeus is a bottled beauty and if you liked scents like Obsession, Envy (which lasts ages, and for what I know it's not been reformulated), you probably will like it.
    Dior Homme can bee too floral if you found Dreamer too floral...
    Said that I don't find BdP incensey at all but an 80's blatant woody macho, I wouldn't go in the more artsy and smoky direction of CDG incenses... Maybe something like Tumulte PH could fit the bill.
    I also recommend you to give Etro Gomma a try if you liked the rubber feeling of Bulgari Black and you look for more evolution. It's not exactly the same but Gomma develops in a more 3D way the rubber concept.

Off-Scenter

Welcome to Basenotes, Akira!

You're definitely going about things the right way, and as an established member I applaud yoiuu for taking advantage of the Directory to do your "homework."

Given your stated preferences, I suggest you try Devin (has some green to it, as does GIT, but smells nothing like Cool Water or its clones), Avignon from the Comme des Garcons incense series, L'Anarchiste and The 3rd Man from Caron, Fou d'Absinthe, and Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia (a less sweet take on the Bulgari Black idea).

Welcome aboard, Akira!

You've gotten lots of good suggestions here, and in addition to the CdG incense series (Kyoto's my personal favorite, but it may be too delicate for what you're after), I would also suggest you sniff Caron L'Anarchiste and Pour Un Homme, as well as Parfums de Sens et Bois by The Different Company, which is a nice (yet fairly light) woody incense fragrance. Love Envy for Men, and agree with Vibert that Dior Pour Un Homme should be considered, but may be too sweet for you. For straight up "high church" incense, give Heeley Cardinal a try.

As for the Creeds, if you really enjoy BdP and got compliments, don't worry about whether it's "too mature." Wear what you love, dear, and FLAUNT it!

Finally, for a real rubber kick (a la Bulgari Black, but with more spice with the rubber), give 10 Corso Como a spin, but brace yourself for sharpness. Happy hunting, and let us know what you go for!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post

Finally, for a real rubber kick (a la Bulgari Black, but with more spice with the rubber),
    You better believe it, I'm talking dragster slicks all lit up with bleach.... To me it's very linear as well.

Welcome Akira
    Last edited by silverbullet; 25th September 2008 at 01:26 AM.

Dependent

akira,

youve got a great taste for a spectrum of different scent genres. im pretty impressed with your list of likes and faves. maybe coz i share pretty much the same likings as you. nonetheless its great to see that your openess to the various types niche or not, has allowed for your encounter with one of the best scents ard imo. well done

you may like to give Eau sauvage, Fahrenheit, fahrenheit32, Dior Homme a try or re-try, you just may find them interesting. Im quite "on" about dior frags, tho some are disappointing, a good handfull ala the ones i mentioned are the constants in my collection.

matt
    Last edited by MFJ; 25th September 2008 at 03:12 AM.

Thank you all for the helpful advice and kind words! I really appreciate it. I tried to do a lot of research so I could avoid asking redundant or pointless questions. I know there has been a big problem with people asking incredibly broad questions and ones with no real answer like what frags do college girls like the most. I also made the decision that I should try a wide variety of frags and not dismiss any frag until I at least gave it a try.

Btw, to foetidus and Magnifiscent, concerning the reformulation of Gucci Envy. The reason I asked is that I was pretty much set on Envy after reading reviews and trying a sample, but I decided to look up old threads and I found some where a number of forum members seemed to believe the frag had been reformulated:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1267006
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=209473

comments included the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    OK, I have had the opportunity to re-sample from a "new" tester and here are my personal findings:

The solution is NOT the same. There is something in the topnotes or opening accords that is "missing". Several minutes after the familiar opening there seems to be... a "hole" where something used to reside.
    This being said, the drydown is practically the same, if not a little bit "shallower".

I wont be mourning the "death" of Gucci Envy any time soon, as I feel it is close enough to the original to warrant a purchase again. It just peeves me when they try and pull the wool over our eyes! We basenotes super-sleuths are soooo onto them!

Am still curious to hear other peoples impressions...

Again, thanks for the variety of suggestions so far. Hopefully I'll get a chance to sample all your guys' suggestions. I'm on a student budget, but I'm always excited to try new fragrances.

Thanks,
    Akira

Lastly, a frag I've read really good things about that I think I might enjoy is Gucci Pour Homme I. The Perfumed Court doesn't have it so I might order a mini from someplace...

I'll second the L'Anarchiste recommendation as it's a *great* fall scent. Cinnamon, cedar leaf, vetiver, benzoin, nutmeg - smells a bit like spiced apple cider with a minimal apple presence.

Another great scent for fall, and easy to find and test, is Burberry London. Again a bit of cinnamon, a healthy dose of bergamot, a booze note, some lavender and vanilla. Yummy - although it is a bit sweet, but it's integrated in a non-cloying manner.

A scent I've just discovered and have already fallen for is Narciso Rodriguez for Him. It's a lot different than typical designer fare. It smells of a damp, mossy forest floor, and as it dries down it gets cleaner and fresher (oakmoss, I presume), and then begins to smell as though you're standing next to a crystal clear creek that winds its way through the middle of an enchanted forest. If nothing else, this is different enough to warrant a sniff. Seems to be a real love it or hate it frag (typically the best kind of frags, imo, L'Anarchiste also seems to fall into this category.)

Since you liked Bulgari black, you should give Dzing! by L'Artisan a sniff. It's interesting - leather, benzoin, cotton candy, and perhaps civet or castoreum. If you read the reviews of it, you'll find that many mention that it could be a relative of Bulgari Black.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Hi Akira! Welcome to posting at Basenotes! Let me just add - don't forget to try strong aquatics and amber scents - you may find some there which you will enjoy. Your taste looks similar to mine, so I think you may find a winner in each of those categories. My current faves there are Bulgari Aqua Pour Homme and MPG Ambre Precieux.

As for reformulation, don't let this become a boogey-man which scares you away from wonderful scents like Envy. Spotting and differentiating reformulations is a pastime for our very accomplished noses, and the changes sometimes sound much bigger than they actually are, as these noses try to communicate the differences to each other. It rarely means that the scent is ruined, in my opinion. I can tell you that reformulated versions of Envy and Yatagan are wonderful and retain their core beauty. I also have some older, vintage frags, and find that the stuff in the stores is just as amazing. Our fellow member purplebird7 advises that we learn to accept reformulations, since most are harmless, and I think that this is sage advice.

It's just like Dimitri says - Envy is well worth the purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    Btw, to foetidus and Magnifiscent, concerning the reformulation of Gucci Envy. The reason I asked is that I was pretty much set on Envy after reading reviews and trying a sample, but I decided to look up old threads and I found some where a number of forum members seemed to believe the frag had been reformulated:
    uggestions. I'm on a student budget, but I'm always excited to try new fragrances.

Lastly, a frag I've read really good things about that I think I might enjoy is Gucci Pour Homme I. The Perfumed Court doesn't have it so I might order a mini from someplace...
    Thanks for the threads... I wasn't aware of the controversy. I bought my bottle in 2005. So I have no idea if it is the alleged old or the alleged new one, mine is a bright green -- no yellow in it. To be honest, I don't really care if it has been reformulated or not because I really love the juice that is in the bottle I own... so I really don't see the issue. Redneck Perfumisto is right, spotting reformulations is a pastime maybe even a hobby around here, and we can go overboard, sometimes. The primary reformulation problem comes mostly in connection with the older "classic" fragrances from the 70s and 80s... I know, I've been stung by that problem more than a couple of times. But as far as Envy for Men goes, why would a company -- especially a reliable, thriving company like Gucci -- reformulate one of their newer ones which is selling well? It would be a shame if you pass up a fragrance you enjoy because you think it might have been reformulated.

Do give Gucci Pour Homme a try too, its a very good fragrance --especially if you like woody fragrances, and while you're at it, check out Gucci PH II -- another good one.

I must agree with Vibert, I admire the way you are going about this. You'll make the right decisions.

Good Luck.

*UPDATE*

Okay, I spent a few days doing more research and reading up on the frags you guys suggested. Thanks again for the helpful advice! Another source I checked out was nowsmellthisblog (A great resource in my opinion).

Anyway, this is what I ended ordering from the Perfumed Court. I only got the smallest size as the site is pretty darn expensive.

-Caron L'Anarchiste (3 of you recommended this and it has great reviews)
    -Caron Third Man
    -Chanel Antaeus (finally, I can try this!)
    -Chanel Egoiste (A lot of people seem to think very highly of this scent. I didn't like Platinum, but this is supposed to be quite different and many people call Egoiste and Dior Eau Sauvage classy, sexy scents that I figured I should try them)
    -Dior Eau Sauvage
    -Comme des Garcons 2 MAN (CdG strikes me as a very interesting company and I wanted to try something other than their more specialized scents)
    -Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense - Avignon
    -Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense - Kyoto
    -Hermes Bel Ami
    -Hermes Terre D'Hermes (I have to give this winner a try)
    -John Varvatos for Men Kinda interesting story here. I was looking at veteran forum member Mario Justiniani's profile (he made a hilarious, but somewhat politically incorrect comment and I noticed he liked Antaeus, Himalaya, and Bvlgari Black) and saw this one and had never heard of it before. The reviews are really solid and it seems to have some very interesting ingredients.
    -Yves St. Laurent M7 I guess I'll see if this is too medicinal for my tastes

Unfortunately, I forgot to order a sample of Dior Homme even though I meant to do so from the start! Sigh. I also wanted to check out such scents as Gucci Pour Homme I and Rochas Man, but they didn't have it.

I have really high hopes for Antaeus and I've wanted to try it for a long time, but I'm a bit nervous as I've heard people saying how it is reformulated and doesn't have the complexity of the original.

If none of these really blow me away then I'll probably go for Gucci Envy. Redneck Perfumisto and foetidus, thank you for your guys' two cents and the explanation of the whole reformulation situation here. I think I might have been worrying a bit too much about it.

I'll tell you guys what I think when I get the order!

Just remember "wearability." Luca Turin mentions this in his book. You might, for example, sample on paper and love it, but then, after buying a bottle and spraying your chest 4 or 5 times, realize that you can't take it for several hours on end.

Hi, just a final update. I tried each fragrance twice.

Favorites

CdG - Avignon: Amazing. I must get this. It's so dark, somber, brooding, and masculine. It's like rolling around in an ancient chest full of frankincense. What really blew me away in addition to its sillage and longevity, was how much this scent evolves. Vibert, in his review of the fragrance, mentions how it dries down into a "faintly vanilla seasoned myrrh and cedar accord," and I found this to be true. Normally vanilla and tonka bean type dry downs are too sweet, but this scent uses it perfectly!
    YSL - M7: Interesting story. At first, I disliked the medicinal opening, but was reasonably impressed with the dry down and its longevity and sillage. Well, a week after trying the frag once, I smelled a wonderful scent in my apartment. The scent turned out to be a shirt I had worn with M7 that I hadn't washed yet. The smell was gorgeous and it sold me.
    Chanel - Antaeus: I have never tried a scent like this. It's very mature smelling. I liked the beeswax accord at the end. I might very well get this in the future although I constantly hear people complaining about the reformulation and how it lacks the complexity and depth of the original.
    Chanel Egoiste: Really great scent. This scent has a good evolution and while it was a little on the sweet side towards the end it was an awesome creamy sweet that wasn't too cloying. The top notes are very interesting too. Kind of a sharp, zesty fruit with rosewood smell. Although I haven't found as many complaints about the reformulation as with Antaeus, I have seen a few scathing comments from those comparing the original to the new version.

Liked

CdG - 2 Man: I really liked this scent, but man, it has really poor longevity.
    CdG - Kyoto: Liked it, but not as much as Avignon. It also didn't seem to evolve as much as Avignon.
    John Varvatos for Men: I liked this scent, but it's a little too sweet and fruity for me. I don't know if it's the sticky-sweet date note or what. Also, I actually felt the longevity and sillage were only so-so.
    Caron L'Anarchiste and Caron Third Man: These two scents I felt were excellently crafted. They both had extremely interesting evolutions. Third man started out floral and became very incense-y towards the end. L'Anarchiste managed to be citrusy, minty, and metallic! It even evolved to the point that I thought it smelled somewhat like apple cider. Both intriguing scents, but I don't think they are my thing. These are the first Caron scents I have tried and I am very impressed.

Disliked

Hermes Terre D'Hermes: Oh God, this was just atrocious IMO. I think this has got to be one of my least favorite scents I have ever tried. Where to begin? How about the overwhelming, nauseating, synthetic citrus scent with pepper.
    Hermes Bel Ami: Overwhelming, intense, sharp woods and leather.
    Eau Sauvage: After reading so much on this classic scent, I really wanted to like it. However, I just couldn't get into it and at least on my skin it didn't evolve much. In general, I think I am just not a fan of citrus scents.

So what did I end up going with?

*Drumroll*

YSL M7

I think CdG Avignon or Bulgari Black will be my next purchase.

*One final thought though. I have to admit I haven't found anything yet that quite appeals to me on the level of some of the Creeds I have tried. I know there are a lot of Creed lovers and haters on this forum and I want to make it clear that I'm not saying Creed is better than all the other designer fragrances. However, I will say, I haven't found any scent yet that quite matches what Bois du Portugal and Himalaya do for me. Even some of the Creed scents that aren't my favorite such as Tabarome Millesime really appeal to me. I don't know if it's that they smell more natural or expensive or what. Perhaps it is due to the odd circumstances that the first frags I tried were a number of samples that my mom bought for me as a present. There is just something about those Creeds. Hmmm.... :/

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Akira, I too have a love affair with Creed's. I own several, but alot of the other Creed's are not for me. If you like masculine, you may want to try Creed Santal Imperial. This one is not as famous as the others, but it is AWESOME!!! BFREE

welcome Akira, I enjoyed reading through your process and find that I have similar tastes in men's fragrances as you do! Congrats on your purchase of M7.
    I think the suggestions here were spot on, and I will add Tiffany for men, I just sniffed this for the first time today, and find it to be in a similar family as some of the ones you like, such as Antaeus and Bois du Portugal.

cheers!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache