Code of Conduct

Smile Thinking about Sycomore or Coromandel

I have read the review posts but want a bit more information, so please excuse the redundance. I have not smelled Sycomore and the Vetivers I am most familiar with are Guerlain's (I own it) and Vetiver Extraordinare from Malle of which I tested in a Barney's.

A good BNer sent me a sample of Coromandel which I like very much. To me, sort of a Musc Ravageur scent. perhaps with a softer approach, (vanilla?) a bit smoother perhaps?

Please tell me your thoughts about Sycomore and if you so desie, Coromandel. I am waiting so please hurry your responses. Thanks,

Rick
    Last edited by richard d; 15th December 2008 at 06:17 PM.

Default Re: Thinking about Sycomore or Coromandel

I personally prefer Coromandel over Sycomore but they're not at all similar. Since you can't buy these online, I'm guessing you're going into a Chanel boutique. I'd recommend asking for a sample of Sycomore and testing them in their own time. I have a sample of Sycomore but it's nothing groundbreaking in the vetiver world to me, so I doubt I'll buy a bottle.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Sur la Plage

I like both - but they are quite different. If I had to choose one it would be Coromandel.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 15th December 2008 at 07:29 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Off-Scenter

Sycomore is a very nice smoky, woody vetiver that is much rounder and smoother than Vetiver Extraordinaire. I'm very fond of it myself. Coromandel is a rich, sweet patchouli/oriental, and though it's the sort of gourmand composition that doesn't much appeal to me, I can tell you that it is an excellent scent. Since the two are very much "apples and oranges" I echo jrd4t in recommending you sample both before springing for one of those great big Les Exclusives bottles.

Thanks people. I do not have a local boutique so its off to perfumed court or its like for a sample and time is running for me.

I know Vibert mentioned the Sycomore was "rounder and smoother" than VE. Is the Vetiver note itself as prominent as it is in VE or for that matter, GV?. Also how bout longivity?

I love the aroma of Sycomore, but on my skin it has very little sillage and longevity. Coromandel on me is stronger in both respects, but I don't particularly like the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by richard d View Post
    Thanks people. I do not have a local boutique so its off to perfumed court or its like for a sample and time is running for me.

I know Vibert mentioned the Sycomore was "rounder and smoother" than VE. Is the Vetiver note itself as prominent as it is in VE or for that matter, GV?. Also how bout longivity?
    Hey there. Last May they had all the Chanel Exclusifs at the Downtown Nordstroms. 1st floor fragrance area.
    Coromandel gets my vote: patchouli with the edges sanded down. Sycomore is a very bright/tart vetiver.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by richard d View Post

To my nose, the vetiver in Sycomore is more forward than that in the Guerlain, but less strident than in the Malle. The context it's used in (smoky woods) is defferent from either. It is closer in htis respect to Givenchy Vetiver or Encre Noir, though much thicker and "cushier" than the Lalique.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    To my nose, the vetiver in Sycomore is more forward than that in the Guerlain, but less strident than in the Malle. The context it's used in (smoky woods) is defferent from either. It is closer in htis respect to Givenchy Vetiver or Encre Noir, though much thicker and "cushier" than the Lalique.
    Well said Vibert!

You said what I was trying to wrap my head around for the last couple days, wearing Sycomore. I am in love with it and am very lucky that a generous Basenoter gifted me a large decant of it, so I can spray generously.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac