Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Morning Star

Default Re: Full Bottles you regret buying...

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    this is why I have made a firm and steadfast rule to never buy unless I have tried three times....

Boucheron pour homme drove home that decision..
    Boucheron Pour Homme is the only fragrance of which I bought a full bottle which doesn't really find its way onto my rotation list very often. (I'm not counting really cheap $10 bottles of fragrance, by the way.) However, I wouldn't say that I regret having bought Boucheron Pour Homme. I still wear it occasionally, and I think it's OK. I think I just bought it early in my collecting days, and didn't realize yet that there were lots of better fragrances out there.

Quote Originally Posted by rachelsf View Post
    Also.... sorry to the people sitting next to me on the 10-hour flight. This always happens during travel. I race for the Duty Free and spray each finger with something-or-other new release. It's such fun but I generally reek by the time i get on the plane. Maybe another thread - what to wear (or not to wear) for travel?! LOL
    Rachel, that is so true of me too, as airport duty frees are fantastic testing grounds - I have a system whereby I can try 10 perfumes on skin at once. Then, as you say, I get to the gate and start to feel self-conscious, compulsively tug on my sleeves, stuff one arm in my coat pocket, don gloves if it's winter etc...

Is sillage more potent at 35,000 ft I wonder, you know, like the way alcohol goes to your head more at altitude?
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

AromiErotici

Comme de Garcons without a doubt. It was hands down the worse,most antiseptic concoction ever to be called a fragrance. Hospitals even smell better than this.

Bought a FB blind and it almost made me sick from one spritz. I considered placing in a lead container.soldering the box shut and then booking a ferry ride in order to drop it in the middle of the lake....but since I'm fond of fish, I changed my mind......

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yay-- I salvaged my bottle of Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica (although it took half a dozen experiments to do it!)

Layered with Woods of Windsor True Rose Parfum de Toilette it smells marvelous. I think the combination actually smells better than True Rose on its own-- it's more complex.

I'm dying to try Guerlain Meteorites now but am reluctant to risk buying a FB unsniffed again. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    I have a system whereby I can try 10 perfumes on skin at once.
    Ah, do share. How do you do it? (It will be helpful for my upcoming sniffa').
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Ah, do share. How do you do it? (It will be helpful for my upcoming sniffa').
    I think she morphs into an octopus!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Yay-- I salvaged my bottle of Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica (although it took half a dozen experiments to do it!)

Layered with Woods of Windsor True Rose Parfum de Toilette it smells marvelous. I think the combination actually smells better than True Rose on its own-- it's more complex.

I'm dying to try Guerlain Meteorites now but am reluctant to risk buying a FB unsniffed again. *sigh*

Very happy for you that Rosa Magnifica has a new lease of life! Oooh, I wouldn't buy a FB of Meteorites unsniffed if I were you - it is incredibly sweet - or are you okay with that?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Very happy for you that Rosa Magnifica has a new lease of life! Oooh, I wouldn't buy a FB of Meteorites unsniffed if I were you - it is incredibly sweet - or are you okay with that?
    Ooh, no... sweet fragrances tend to gag me.

But not always-- Annick Goutal's La Violette is quite sweet but manages not to be cloying, and I love it. The spicy rose note helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I think she morphs into an octopus!
    Haha, I wish...!

BlackCat, the system is as follows, with each arm yielding 5-6 olfactorily discreet sites (unless you spray DKNY Woman, which will nuke your entire arm with an acrid pall of grapefruit):

underside of wrist
    back of hand
    the fleshy pad underneath your thumb (surprisingly good carrier!)
    lower arm just behind the knuckle (remove watch?)
    a spot on forearm close to elbow - easier to reach than its underside equivalent, though I have been known to add that site, making 6 sites per arm!