Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Assisting fellow fragrance shoppers - your stories

I was in Neiman Marcus recently, browsing at the men’s fragrance counter. Next to me was a young man (college age - late teens/early twenties) and his mother. They were shopping for a fragrance for him. The SA was showing them a variety of fragrances, but seemed to be “pushing” the Jo Malone line specifically (I’m not sure if she was a Jo Malone rep – but might have been). The young man just did not seem to like most of the fragrances that she was showing him. He felt Amber and Lavender was OK, but I could tell he was not very thrilled with it. But I think that since that is the one that he showed the faintest interest in, then that is the one his mother was going to purchase.

The SA had to excuse herself “to wait on a very important client who had flown in from Spain” and told them she would be back shortly to ring up their final decision. Something inside of me just could not let this guy walk out of there with a fragrance he did not seem to be excited about. So I struck up a conversation with the young man and his mother.

Me: So you’re shopping for a new fragrance?
    Mother: Yes, for my son.
    Me: What kind of fragrances do you like?
    Young man: What do you mean?
    Me: Well do you like lighter scents or heavier scents?
    Young man: A little heavier.
    Me: Do you like sweet or spicy fragrances?
    Young man: Well something not too sweet or not too spicy – something in between.
    Me: Are you looking for a fragrance to wear all of the time, just during the day for work/school, nights/special occasions?
    Young man: Something I can wear all of the time.

So I started to pull out a bunch of different fragrances from the tester trays and let them try them. Again, he seemed to be indifferent to most of them. But a couple of them I could see he smelled something that made his eyes light up and he was saying things like “Wow!” “This smells great!” “I really like this one!” So then I asked him what two were his favorites that he had sampled. He picked two of them out immediately – Terre d’Hermes and Prada Infusion d’Homme. So then I told him to spray one of them on the back of his left hand and the other on the back of his right hand, which he did. I then told them that they should walk around the mall for a little while and let the fragrances dry down and develop on his skin and see which one he liked the best. They thanked me profusely and told me I was much more helpful then the SA had been to them.

I felt good that I was able to help them and that this young man was hopefully going to walk away with a fragrance that he seemed to thoroughly enjoy. However, the story seemed somewhat incomplete because I did not know what fragrance he was finally going to select – although I thought I knew which one he would go for. Luckily, I ran into them as I was ready to leave the mall later and they had a Neiman Marcus bag in their hand. I said “So, which one did you pick”. The young man said “The Terre d’Hermes. I just love it. It is exactly what I was looking for!”. Again they gave me many thanks and then we parted ways.

So have you assisted a fellow fragrance shopper recently?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Assisting fellow fragrance shoppers - your stories

I was in WalMart a few days ago and noticed two girls buying a gift for their 23 year old friend. I steered them away from the Nautica they were holding and towards Hugo instead.

Both were the same price for the 1.7oz!

I really liked Hugo when I was 23.

I helped a lady in a local fragrance shop recently. She ended up buying Habanita - Molinard. She was very appreciative. If I tried to help a another male find a frag in a store in Memphis...I would probably found floating in the Mississippi River the following day.

Post Thanks / Like

Really interesting thread.

It's happened more than once to me, but I think I'm just longing to gush about fragrances. Not sure if my thoughts are as welcome as they might be if I were actually behind the counter. Thank Grant for Basenotes.

I feel like I have a secret agent fragrance SA living inside of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for sharin this Petrucci! a refreshin read after a long time. JWS must be smilin ear to ear when he saw tht guy picked TdH...

OP...i never got such chance...but i have converted lot of my freinds who earlier thought prfumes were waste of money into perfumes maniacs.....they curse me now.
    Last edited by jenson; 25th September 2008 at 03:36 PM.

Nice thread, petruccijc!

Yes I have assisted fellow fragrance shoppers in the past.

There was a branch of a national fragrance discounter at my local mall where I was friendly with the manager, who was a hard working fellow with a nice personality - nice enough to admit that he knew nothing about perfumes (his family owned several of these branches, and "selected" certain members to man the shops), but he was very receptive to learning. I scored a good number of discontinued gems from him, and he would always ask me to extrapolate on my purchases - their composition, history, etc. Usually, his store only had one or two customers at any time in it, so during the Valentines Day and Christmas shopping rushes, he could become quite overwhelmed. I was in there during one of these times and a couple of women, mother and daughter, came in wanted to buy fragrance for the husband/father. They could not remember the name of the fragrance he used, but they knew it had been discontinued for a long time, and were looking for something that would be in the same vein. They described it as sophisticated - not light, not fresh, "deep and manly" is what the wife said. The shop owner asked if I'd be willing to make suggestions, and I agreed, freeing him up to wait on other customers. Well, long story short, the ladies purchased a bottle of Ungaro III. They loved it on the spot and were quite sure that it was exactly the giftee gentleman's style. There were several occasions similar to this, and I enjoyed helping out each time.

I have also had experiences in shopping at Nordstrom or some other department store where I've just struck up a conversation with a fellow fragrance browser, and suggested things that might be useful in their search. Several times I have gotten glares and dirty looks from s/a's hell-bent on pushing whatever they've been told to push regardless of what the client actually wanted. I ignore them - and register their faces mentally, so I never ever give them the benefit of my wallet in the future.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 25th September 2008 at 04:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice story!

I haven't done so recently but in the past if someone looks like they could use a second opinion I give it.

Post Thanks / Like

Fun thread!

I have never helped a customer even though I have wanted to several times. Problem is there are not easy to find any gems in Swedish stores, and I don´t want to interrupt the sales people...

But I HAVE "helped" several SA:s! I have sprayed those innocent girls with Caron extraits and Santa Maria Novella´s Nostalgia and a male SA with Jicky... just to educate them since they SHOULD be interested. But I just got frowned upon...
    Last edited by pelle; 25th September 2008 at 04:56 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    Really interesting thread.

It's happened more than once to me, but I think I'm just longing to gush about fragrances. Not sure if my thoughts are as welcome as they might be if I were actually behind the counter. Thank Grant for Basenotes.

I feel like I have a secret agent fragrance SA living inside of me.

I feel the same as you.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Oh I got one or two anecdotes!

FIRST
    I was hovering around the fragrance dept of my favorite dept store. I noticed a guy and most likely his girlfriend were hovering around as well, sniffing practically everything. I was there for a good ten minutes listening to their conversations until finally a SA came over to offer them help.

The guy was looking for a new fragrance for himself. He told the SA he wanted something fresh, fruity and sweet and that he liked Hugo but wants something different. The selection at this store is limited to the Boss, Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole, Polo and a few "oddball" lines.

The SA immediately suggested Kenneth Cole Reaction. Though I usually mind my own business, my ears perked up. The SA went off to get the KC Reaction tester and I stealthly went to the couple and quick told them, "Reaction doesn't last long at all. Still a nice fragrance. Just a warning." They said thank you and I hurried off because I realized I was late getting somewhere.

SECOND
    This was quick thinking on my part so I'm patting myself on the back for this one. Anyways, I was at one of those little discount shops with hundreds of designer frags for cheap.

A gentle came up to the counter with his family, took a short gander at everything and requested to sniff Perry Ellis 360 Red. Before the SA had time to grab the bottle I immediately said to the man, "Oh that's a nice one! Smells just like Acqua di Gio but better!"

The man looks at me and says, "Really? I like Acqua di Gio." The SA gave the man the test card, he took one sniff and exclaimed, "Oh yeah! Gimmie the big bottle!"

I felt really good for that one! Sometimes I wish I was the SA, hahah.