Code of Conduct

Default Favorite fragranced bath soaps?

In the past, I avoided scented soaps. Occasionally, they would irritate my sensitive skin and make me itchy.

However, my friend started making some soaps with essential oils and gave me some as a gift. I got hooked on them and have been buying them from her ever since, even after she moved out-of-state.

She has very nice blends, her soaps are moisturizing, and they don't seem to interfere with my fragrances. So if anyone is interested, here's the website for her company, Soaps of Mother Earth:

http://www.treasuresofmotherearth.com/soaps1.html

My favorites of hers are Caramel (woods, clove, and milk); Blue Moon (lavender, bergamot, and citrus); and Sea Green (clary sage, lavender, fir needle, rosemary and geranium).

Has anyone else also found fragranced soaps that smell nice in the shower and are kind to your skin but don't get in the way of your fragrances? Let me know which--I'd love to continue to expand my repertoire.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 26th September 2008 at 10:24 PM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: Favorite fragranced bath soaps?

I love scented soaps, thanks for the link!

No problem!

So, what are your current favorites?

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Hey, BlackCat. Those soaps sound wonderful to me, especially the Caramel and the Sea Green.

I have three favorites right now:

1. Mudlark Savon d'Amande. Wonderful, long-lasting goat milk-almond-honey-oat bars. Bonus: They're packaged in an assortment of gorgeous papers.

2. Mistral Soaps. Haven't tried too many yet, but they are nice. Balinese Vanilla is a perfect fall lather.

3. North Shore Soap Factory soaps. I like a lot of them. Right now I have their Ylang-Ylang in my shower. The unscented kukui nut oil soap is another of my top faves - really nice on winter skin!

Vermont soap company makes a lovely honey soap with some exfoliating properties.

One of my very favorites is Crabtree & Evelyn's Jojoba soap, shaped like a seashell. It has a sweet fragrance and is very kind to the skin.

Otherwise, I just use whatever mainstream brand appeals to me in the grocery store - I like Dove, Caress, and I love Yardleys English Lavender in summer (this might be too drying for your sensitive skin), and I like the other Yardley soaps as well, Aloe and Oatmeal/Almond. Isn't great, opening a fresh bar of soap and having a nice lingering soap in the tub? One of the great simple pleasures of life.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 27th September 2008 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Isn't it great, opening a fresh bar of soap and having a nice lingering soap in the tub? One of the great simple pleasures of life.
    I agree, Lilybelle! I love lathering up with a hefty bar in my hands. Never have liked the liquid or gel soap options.

Last edited by Haunani; 27th September 2008 at 07:29 PM.

Some excellent suggestions here--thanks all.

I agree: nothing takes the place of a nice sudsy bar of soap.

Basenotes Institution

Roger & Gallet Carnation soap is a classic. Kind of like a bottle of fragrance, in the shower. Distinctive, crisply floral and just enough longevity to not overpower your SOTD. Highly recommended.

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Last year I stayed at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, and they use Gilchrist & Soames toiletries. I opened one bar of soap to use in the bath, took a whiff, and put the rest (lotion, shower gel, facial bar, oatmeal soap, etc.) in my suitcase. The following day the maids replenished everything and all that went into the suitcase. And the next day.... Then it was time to check out and I raided the maid's cart just a little bit! The product info says this is "formulated exclusively for Grand Sierra Resort," but I smell rosemary and mint and suspect it's the same as their Wake-Up Rosemary line of products. I'm almost out, so I must soon either order their products directly or spend another long weekend in Reno!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Just bought myself a few scented soaps from http://www.amazingsoaps.com/

The soaps look like slices of cake!

Blog Entries

It's a men's product, but I LOVE Every Man Jack's citrus scrub soap. It's an all-natural product (I believe) & is only found @ Target stores. The scrub part isn't really abrasive, & the scent smells like orange soda only not as sweet. It's a great product & is fairly inexpensive @ 3 bars for $5.
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 13th October 2008 at 06:18 PM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Fresh cosmetics has a 'gold' soap in a holiday box set at nieman's. it's really strong... kinda rosemary/clean. it's awesome.

I love a highly, aromatic, bar of soap with lush lather. Right now my favorite artisan etailer fits the bill exactly. Villainess: http://www.villainess.net/home.php. Really, good stuff!

Shea butter soap is excellent for dry, sensitive skin. I've had good luck with:

Mistral
    l'Occitane
    Pre de Provence

Also, there is a line I have seen in the natural food store called Pangea. The shower gel is extremely emollient, so is excellent for severe dryness (as in the middle of winter). The scents are great too, based on essential oil blends. I love the geranium bar soap, but it doesn't last nearly as long as a bar of Mistral.
    Last edited by Asha; 14th November 2008 at 03:43 AM.

I also love L'Occitane, particularly the Orange soap

Others I like are:

Jo Malone - LBM
    Acqua di Parma - soaps and shower gels in Colonia or C. Assoluta (the latter is amazing in shower gel)
    Last edited by runstile; 2nd December 2008 at 10:38 PM.

I love Mistral soaps and I haven't found them to linger too long. Particularly the one called "Green Fig" or "Green FIg and Orange Blossoms" (It's the exact same scent, not sure why they changed the name) It smells fantastic in the shower or bath but doesn't interfere with other fragrance. I also liked that these didn't melt too fast. (and no sulfates or parabens!)

Lush soaps and Be Never, from Be Never I really recommend cocktail soap if they have it. I got the limited edition when it was on with Lush and love it. Especially followed up with the cockail perfume. People always compliment me on it too which is nice
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I love perfumed soaps, actually I only use perfumed soaps;
    Chanel; Cristalle, No 5, Coco

Dior- Addict, Diorissimo

Roger & Gallet; Bouquet Imperial, Carnation, Magnolia, Jasmin (long discontinued), Almond Flower,

Stendhal-Symbiose (long, long, gone)

Caron- Boutique petit soaps

L'Occitane- Orange Blossom (were discontinued when I worked for them, so I purchased 90 bars from around the country)

YSL-Rive Gauche (long gone also)

Guerlain- Chamade (also discontinued)

and quite a few other. As you could all tell I tend to stock up on things I love, in preparation of the day they will be discontinued.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    It's a men's product, but I LOVE Every Man Jack's citrus scrub soap. It's an all-natural product (I believe) & is only found @ Target stores. The scrub part isn't really abrasive, & the scent smells like orange soda only not as sweet. It's a great product & is fairly inexpensive @ 3 bars for $5.
    +1 for Every Man Jack soaps, the cedarwood soap is awesome as well, as are their showergels.
    I would also add the Antony Logistics citrus soap bar (Sephora or Ulta, $8) - it's a man's line too, but can easily appeal to a girl, it's a fresh invigorating blast of orange and natural ingredients too.

I'm a fan of Perlier honey soap

I love Perlier soaps, too.

And I also love Fleurissimo soap. Very well scented, gentle on skin, long lasting.

I love the Maja bar soap. In fact I just bought in a couple of bars for a gal at the office and she loves them.
    Also, I think they are meant to be masculine, but I love the scents of the Herban Cowboy bar soap - think I tried the Orginal and Bluegrass, both so good.
    Seconding the Yardley's English Lavender.
    Bee & Flower Sandalwood smells wonderful and it's cheap, but drying.

If anybody is interested it seems that Homesense (think TJ Maxx Home or Marshall's Home) is selling Roger & Gallet soaps at a tremendous discount right now. Not only the boxes containing several soaps, but the "pucks".

I'm willing to pick any of these up for folks interested and ship them out. R&G has been a favorite of mine for a long time, though I think I prefer Crabtree & Evelyn "Nomad". It seems to be of higher quality and the lather is much nicer.

R&G discontinued their "bars", which has turned me off the line. They are a division of YSL Beauty and I have a feeling they wanted to make R&G a bit more exclusive, fancy and limit their soaps to higher-end boutiques.

Basenotes Plus

I love the soaps Dorothy makes at Kingsbury Fragrances. http://www.kingsburyfragrances.com/

The Chanel soaps I've used have been fantastic, #5 & Coco. I have a Guerlain chamade soap but as I can't replace it, I have not used it. I've used Villainess soaps & enjoyed them very much. I especially enjoy her Smooch! product.
    SAVON makes an excellent ginger & orange blossom soap.
    I also have a lot of Curly Willow Soap from Soap Sisters...fantastic stull! http://soapsistersonline.com/ they are just down the street from my sister & we first discovered them when they opened a few years ago. We've been loyal customers ever since.

I love scented soap!
    Last edited by RHM; 22nd March 2009 at 06:47 PM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Mount Harmony Herbal soaps are fabulous! Used to buy them from my friends neighbor in Virginia but now I have to order them on line. mountharmony.com ( no affiliation)

I have tried many, many brandsof soaps, almost as many as I have tried perfumes; and the best ones I have ever used, smelled etc are the CLAUS PORTO soaps. They have a huge range, very varied and using the best perfume

Does the simple Camay Classic count?

If yes, this is my favorite.

Runner-up: soap bars belonging to the Joop Le Bain range.

The Crabtree & Evelyn "Nomad" line is unbelievable - a real treat, but not cheap ($26 for 3 bars). There's the fragrance itself, which isn't all that spectacular, but the quality of the soap and the lather is really top of the line.

R&G is my second choice - I just wish, again, that they didn't discontinue the bars.

Yesterday I picked up a few bars of Woods of Windsor Fine English Soap for Men. Terrific stuff. I should have grabbed the cologne, too.

Love Nesti Dante, particularly the iris one. I buy it at a gift boutique in town, but they are also sold at Beautyhabit...

Basenotes Institution

I use bar soap because the sqeaky clean feel is great. I sometimes use shower gel as well after bar soap.
    These are my faves

Crabtree & Evelyn Jojoba Triple Milled - heavenly smell ,long lasting bar, quite gorgeous
    C & E Lavender
    Eau de Soir bath soap - very lovely and very darned expensive
    Olay Vanilla Indulgence
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 13th September 2009 at 02:54 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I use bar soap because the sqeaky clean feel is great. I sometimes use shower gel as well after bar soap.
    These are my faves

Crabtree & Evelyn Jojoba Triple Milled - heavenly smell ,long lasting bar, quite gorgeous
    C & E Lavender
    Eau de Soir bath soap - very lovely and very darned expensive
    Olay Vanilla Indulgence
    Bar soap for special baths:
    Asquith and Somerset English Rose
    Parfums D'Orsay Etiquette Bleue

For everyday:
    Kiss My Face unscented, verbena, chamomile or lavender
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I prefer the bar soaps, too.
    I have extremely dry, sensitive skin. I absolutely love the milk soap from Le Petit Marseillais:
    http://www.beautyplatinium.com/product_p/lrpsa.htm

And the Nubian Heritage products (100% natural and organic ingredients. No dry, itchy skin at all when I'm using them!):
    - Raw Shea Butter soap with essential oil blend of Frankincense and Myrrh
    - goat's milk and chai soap with rose extract (a soft milky rose scent)
    - olive butter and grean tea soap
    http://www.nubianheritage.com/produc...id/1/bar-soap#

(and no, I don't work for LPM or NH)
    Last edited by anais; 14th September 2009 at 02:38 AM.
    ~ Anais ~

Basenotes Institution

One of my very favorites is Crabtree & Evelyn's Jojoba soap, shaped like a seashell. It has a sweet fragrance and is very kind to the skin.

Otherwise, I just use whatever mainstream brand appeals to me in the grocery store - I like Dove, Caress, and I love Yardleys English Lavender in summer (this might be too drying for your sensitive skin), and I like the other Yardley soaps as well, Aloe and Oatmeal/Almond. Isn't great, opening a fresh bar of soap and having a nice lingering soap in the tub? One of the great simple pleasures of life.
    Lilybelle- you and I love the same soap . I have used this soap for years now when I can get it. I love that you can get it as a box of 3 or as a huge big hulky shell shaped bar !

My next indulgence I know will be Bluebell soap !

Lilybelle- you and I love the same soap . I have used this soap for years now when I can get it. I love that you can get it as a box of 3 or as a huge big hulky shell shaped bar !

My next indulgence I know will be Bluebell soap !
    Bluebell sounds nice!

And C&E Jojoba is pure heaven to me!

The one I've been enjoying lately is called Blue Iris. It's made in Germany by a company called Kappus. I bought it at an old fashioned pharmacy in Charlottesville. It smells wonderful. I must go back for more. I can see myself becoming an eccentric soap hoarder.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 14th September 2009 at 11:44 PM.

Fresh made a soap for Pink Jasmine that smelled even better than the fragrance. What I loved about it was the scent was consistent down to the last sliver of soap. Of course they quit making it.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Basenotes Institution

Bluebell sounds nice!

And C&E Jojoba is pure heaven to me!

The one I've been enjoying lately is called Blue Iris. It's made in Germany by a company called Kappus. I bought it at an old fashioned pharmacy in Charlottesville. It smells wonderful. I must go back for more. I can see myself becoming an eccentric soap hoarder.
    Eccentric soap hoarder sounds good to me ! I have been hoarding soap for years- I thought it was normal ! I do use them eventually though . ( My mother has had a bar of Lanolin soap she got as a gift in her cupboard for 25 years ... not sure it's any good now ! I periodically go and check her 'cupboard' -same one I found the vintage Opium in ( never know what treasures will be revealed ) - and yep ,this piece of soap is still there .....)

Estee Lauder Youth Dew bar soap is fabulous- not so fond of their body cream.
    L'Occitane milk soaps and the lavender ones are very nice too.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 15th September 2009 at 04:28 AM.

The Kiss My Face olive oil soaps are very kind to dry skin, as WAS the BBW "Like Butter" shower cream, that they have sadly discontinued. (It had the most marvelous balsam fir scent, too!)

I love my No5 bath soap, as well...but I am afraid that bar soap in general tends to dry me out, so in the cooler weather, I usually end up using some creamy wash or oil wash from BBW, usually Japanese Cherry Blossom or Moonlight Path.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    I love my No5 bath soap, as well...but I am afraid that bar soap in general tends to dry me out, so in the cooler weather, I usually end up using some creamy wash or oil wash from BBW, usually Japanese Cherry Blossom or Moonlight Path.
    OOOOH ! No.5 bar soap is wonderful too - haven't used one in years though.
    Dr. Bronners is excellent bar soap too .

I like Roger & Gallet and Mistral soaps. I also like to support this company:

http://www.cedarpointsoaps.com/HandCraftedSoaps.html

I discovered her while visiting a farmer's market in cottage country, sweet lady and the products are terrific (not just yummy soaps, but also teas, lotions, body butters, etc).

Youth Dew, pure and simple as a bath oil, then Asquith and Somerset English Rose bar soap...
    Last edited by Primrose; 23rd September 2009 at 12:18 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

YSL used to have the best, but they are discontinued now:
    M7 was creamy & comforting, NU black soap is the most sexy, Opium PH, Champagne,
    all are gone
    ESCAPE for men green transparent soap is a good stuff too,
    Dior Dune turns the bath room to heaven with its aroma

the ones that I don't recommend are Hermes & Chanel & thier foam & fragrance are not rich enough.

I use naturally scented bar soaps because they aren't full of chemicals like shower gels and so agree with lilybelle about them being one of the simple pleasures in life. I avoid soap with "sodium tallowate" which is another name for beef tallow. My husband prefers liquid castille soap and uses Dr. Bronners.
    Last edited by beachroses; 6th October 2009 at 02:39 PM.

I love Castille soap. I'm using one of those right now. It has a clean, faintly creamy scent, and it feels nice on my skin - not drying, not oily, just perfect. Next up is my latest soap acquisition, a huge bar of Bergamot-Mint soap with bits of mint leaves in it. It smells wonderful! I can't keep my nose out of the box. I found it at Marshalls. It's by a company company called CST (Commonwealth Soap & Toiletries) in MA. It comes in a nice, sturdy flip-top box. What a little treasure!

Little treasures, that's how I feel about soap.

I'm down to the last little bit of Pre de Provence Mango that I've been using and, though I have a few others around I haven't broken open yet, I'm ready for something new. Even when I'm on a 'no buy' for other products, I can always justify soap because I use it every day. A simple but necessary luxury. Sometimes I just sniff the bars for fun, too. If I won the lottery, the first thing I'd do is fill cabinets with them. Think I'll go shopping and see what's around... see ya!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    R&G has been a favorite of mine for a long time, though I think I prefer Crabtree & Evelyn "Nomad". It seems to be of higher quality and the lather is much nicer.

R&G discontinued their "bars", which has turned me off the line. They are a division of YSL Beauty and I have a feeling they wanted to make R&G a bit more exclusive, fancy and limit their soaps to higher-end boutiques.
    I haven't tried the bars, the "pucks" or little round guest soaps in boxes smell great but didn't do much for my dry skin. I bought quite a few at once, before I figured that out, so handed them out as extras for the ebay auctions I was running and saved the Carnation to smell. Everyone loved that little touch. You can use them as scents for drawers, too.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I use naturally scented bar soaps because they aren't full of chemicals like shower gels and so agree with lilybelle about them being one of the simple pleasures in life. I avoid soap with "sodium tallowate" which is another name for beef tallow. My husband prefers liquid castille soap and uses Dr. Bronners.
    Oh Dr. Bronners is fabulous. I bought a load cheap at GNC . I use Lavender and my husband uses the Peppermint.

I try my best to avoid sodium tallowate too . I am not a fan of shower gels and stopped using them many years ago in favour of bar soaps. I dislike the soapy feel that never goes away with shower gels whereas bar soap leaves you sqeaky clean . I do make an exception for Shalimar shower gel which I use sparingly after bar soap - for the scent more than anything else. )

Oh Dr. Bronners is fabulous. I bought a load cheap at GNC . I use Lavender and my husband uses the Peppermint.

I try my best to avoid sodium tallowate too . I am not a fan of shower gels and stopped using them many years ago in favour of bar soaps. I dislike the soapy feel that never goes away with shower gels whereas bar soap leaves you sqeaky clean . I do make an exception for Shalimar shower gel which I use sparingly after bar soap - for the scent more than anything else. )
    Mysticknot, did you know Dr. Bronner died a few years back? ...the most fun was reading the wrappers on the soap...

Nice and simple, great for washing lingerie in the liquid soap, too.

You might also want to try Kiss My Face Verbena, as Mo states, which is also in health food stores. They have lavender, chamomile, too.

I splurged and bought some Parfums D'Orsay Etiquette Bleue soaps because they had the image of you-know-who on the bars...mounted on his horse, at that!

http://www.dandyism.net/?page_id=314
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th October 2009 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Mysticknot, did you know Dr. Bronner died a few years back? ...the most fun was reading the wrappers on the soap...
    I have a great memory of that sitting in an outhouse at my friend's cabin high up in the Rockies, with the door open to a spectacular view of the mountains one clear summer morning, reading the label on Dr. Bronners soap.

this soap thread might be old, but I have to tell you-http://www.sweetpetula.com/ Sweet petula soaps are my favorite.
    You want to get good soap? This particular one isn't scented, but you'll want some https://www.oliveoilshop.com/base.htm This olive soap is amazing. I got the big block of soap and cut it into bars. It was 20.00 plus tax. all the way from France! check out the video of them mixing it in the cauldron. wow.soap cut.jpg I didn't take a photo of it when I opened it in the mail (one big solid block!), but I did take a picture after I cut it. It cut like cheese and has since hardened. Since I have fragrant soap, I enjoy switching to this sometimes in my bath. I hoard soap too . he he
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Forgot to tell you what the white stuff is on the outside of the soap. It's salt. oh oh, looks like the "soap cut jpg" didn't show, you have to click on it.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

I bought a bar of rosemary-mint soap at the farmer's market last week, made a by a lady who sells her 100% natural costmetics there. She told me that she calls them 100% natural because the FDA will allow products that use only 5% natural ingredients to advertise as "natural". I didn't tell her that as a perfume wearer who knows what chemical cocktail I might be wearing at any given time. I didn't want to disappoint her. It is lovely soap! But expensive. Still...just trying to do my part to support our local growers and artisans.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 6th July 2010 at 10:24 PM.

For their lovely fragrance which lingers in the bathroom, and for their great lather:

Roger & Gallet Vetyver:
    http://www.escentual.com/roger-and-gallet/rg_vetyver09/
    This is the best site I can find at first glance, but you can pick these up all over the place. I adore this soap which has a great travel box.

Crabtree & Evelyn Nantucket Briar
    http://www.crabtree-evelyn.co.uk/eng...ap_box?1016601

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood soap:
    http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/aca...d-sponges.html
    I get mine from Selfridges

Saponificio Artigionale Forentino:
    Giardino Dei Fiori II (large bath bar rather than smaller bars)
    http://www.lotusco.us/Fioren.htm
    Huge block lasts a long time and smells divine. This fragrance lingers forever in the bathroom.

Antique Florentine Soap - Mandorlo (Almond) 300g block
    http://www.tuscanyidea.com/en/scheda-tipo.asp?id=180
    Huge block lasts a long time and smells great. Lovely reusable box, too.

Bronley Detination India box x4 soaps:
    Banyan, Cashew, Mulberry, Patchouli
    Alas this is hard to find now, but I'm on the lookout. It is not listed on Bronnley's web site. I last some in Jenner's shop in Edinburgh about 5 years ago

Bronnley Herbarium with botanical extracts, box x 6 soaps:
    Arnica, Applemint, Calendula, Rosehip ,Rowan Berry ,Thyme
    Same availability as Destination India, alas, though I have still have some bars left.

And of course my old love (even though they've tweaked it) :
    Cussons Imperial Leather

For my face only, especially when away from home:
    Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser with Cottonseed (unscented)
    A tiny amount from the tube lathers up to a massive amount. Very light, very soft, does a great job.

Edit: I'll second Anthony's vote for Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad. Superb.
    Last edited by Sestra; 26th September 2010 at 06:17 PM.
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

I love Castille soap. I'm using one of those right now. It has a clean, faintly creamy scent, and it feels nice on my skin - not drying, not oily, just perfect. Next up is my latest soap acquisition, a huge bar of Bergamot-Mint soap with bits of mint leaves in it. It smells wonderful! I can't keep my nose out of the box. I found it at Marshalls. It's by a company company called CST (Commonwealth Soap & Toiletries) in MA. It comes in a nice, sturdy flip-top box. What a little treasure!
    I know this is an old post but thanks, I'll try to find this
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable man adapts the world to himself, therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." "Shaw"