Code of Conduct

Thread: Hippie smells

Default Hippie smells

It's so hard for me to explain what I'm looking for. Maybe you guys will know. (You all seem to know a lot about fragrance, I have faith you can figure out my incoherent mumbling, and no, regardless of the what the title implies, I'm not smoking pot. I might like to wear it though.)

I want something that smells like an incense shop. Only not heavy. A little like Lush's Karma.(Minus the pine.) Or if you've been to The Body Shop and smelled their hemp hand lotion.

Further complicate this, I'm not crazy for musk on me. I love it on other people, but worry you can smell dead animal when I put it on.

I like Patchouli, but I want something smoother and more soothing, and sweeter than the hard patchouli hit.

Does such a thing exist?

By the way, I'm not a hippie. Though, I do recycle and I've been looking at more environmentally friendly cleaning products.

Wow, it's funny how the change in weather affects what you desire in fragrance. All summer I was into very delicate green smells.

Default Re: Hippie smells

I would recommend the following:

Chanel Anteaus
    Victor & Rolf Antidote
    Lanvin Arpege
    Lancome Attraction & Cuir
    Estee Lauder Azuree Soliel
    Christian Dior Diorella

They're marketed as either masculine or femine specific, as far as I'm concerned, they're all unisex

Comme des Garcons has an INCENSE line, with several different fragrances. Avignon is the richest of them, with a spicy-sweet note.

I think the general style of fragrance you are looking for (to generalize) is known as "oriental" and will have spice, often incense, usually vanilla & or patchouli. And that is a big, big category style. But that may be a starting-point for you.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Gotham by Neil Morris (it's not orange-y like Karma; hasn't got any sharp notes/anything "pine-y"). Gotham is very resinous and a sort of grown-up-hippie smell.

Two frags come to mind that seem to me grownup hippie scents, but aren't playing the musky animalic angle.
    Czech & Speake No.88 has a wonderful raw frankincense and rose accord. Refined but also a little head shoppy. Etro Sandalo is sandalwood and myrrh and smells comfortable but a little exotic.

Thanks, I'm enjoying the suggestions. Resinous may be exactly what I want.

I think the scent I am sampling today would fit the bill, L'Inspiratrice by Divine.
    rose, ylang ylang, patchouli and vanilla with a hint of musk. I am finding this very smooth patchouli, not hard hitting as you say, and the drydown is soft and a tad sweet, very pleasant. the patchouli remains throughout, but not "in your face." it's a really nice one.

and of course Bandit is always good, but some find it rather dirty

Rasa by ava luxe is rose and musk

patchouli patch by l'artisan is also a smooth patchouli.

have you sampled Rich Hippie? I can't even remember what this is like, but if the name means anything, may be fun to try.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Inspiratrice is great, isn't it? Though I find the opening a bit odd - it is as though the rose, patchouli and vetiver are engaged in a pub brawl.

My other hippy suggestion would be Ava Luxe Nag Champa. That'll re-align your chakras for you!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

You must try Jacomo Rouge !

I thought right awa y of Kenzo Flower Oriental. It's a really lovely amber, incense and patchouli scent - to my nose, the only florals are in the top notes.

Do also try L'Ombre Fauve. It is a gorgeous patchouli.
    Also, Ava luxe's Vamp might suit.

How about Nelly Rodi Incense Factory? That one should surely fit the bill.

If you like patchouli, try Caswell-Massey's Aura of Patchouli. It is extremely wearable, and won't clobber you (or anyone else) over the head. Definitely has the hippie/flower child vibe goin' on.

From the Caswell-Massey website:

"Aura of Patchouli-
    Spicy and assertive fragrance that well suits a man of adventure or mystery. The herbaceous scent evokes a sense of hidden depths and faraway lands. EQUALLY SUITED FOR MEN OR WOMEN."
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Although I dislike it, Karma is probably closest to what I'd associate with a hippie smell. The dampness the patchouli suggests the dank claustrophobia of a head shop, where the air is always somewhat ripe and moldy. I do like the Karma bath bar.

I like my patchouli mellowed with vanilla or amber.

If someone could bottle the smell of the Whole Foods in Berkeley, this would be ideal.

I'd give Mandy Aftel's organic scents a try. They are earthy and true to the spirit of the 1960s.

Try Donna Karen's Choas for a grownup hippy scent

Blog Entries

'Czech & Speake #88' smells just like a head shop with every kind of incense. Also 'Patchouli Leaves' (Montale) is a GREEN patchouli which is hard to describe but it is similar to Divine L'Inspiratrice w/out the added floral & powder. Lutens 'Amber Sultan' and 'Etro Shaal Nur' knocked me out when I tried them for their gorgeous oriental blends. 'Amber Sultan' has just a bit of incense which grounds it and prevents it from being too sweet.

I'll second most of these choices, especially Czech & Speake 88.
    Jasmine, patchouli, and sandalwood are the ones I most often associate with incense shops.
    Montale Jasmin Full is very true to the old Gonesh incense cones.
    Any patchouli will do, as long as you find one you like. My current favorite is Chanel Coromandel. Other great ones are Montale Patchouli Leaves and Jalaine Patchouli.
    Tam Dao is a good sandalwood.

I think hippies usually smell like Indian food (spices), incence, and BO. I say that b/c I am one at heart ("Crunchy Granola Mom here!) and so are most of my friends. It is not just a scent they perfume themselves with, its their BEING: what they cook, what they clean with (and how frequently). Natural Body Products they may use (Nature's Gate, Jasons, and Aubry Organics are biggies), and how they do their wash (seriously), and if they heat the house with wood. I don't know many hippies that wear perfume except for natural blends that they make with natural essences. Most "natural perfumes" in niche lines are way too expensive for your true average hippie. I have never smelled a Nag Champa note in perfume that really smells like the incence. I think you should just burn it all the time; it will permiate your clothing! But, for a list of a place to start:

Anything by Eden Botanicals (amber-worn by hippies!)
    SL Amber Sultan (niche equivalant)
    Samsara is heavy on the sandalwood
    Kingdom
    Musk, though, seriously, is what most of them smell like, though it is their natural odor!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier is in my top two & makes men drool. Ambre by L'Occitane is cheap & close to my heart.
    Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier is a mens scent but I have been wearing it all day. It's much more bitter on me then on my male friend but also more incence-ie. Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library might work too, though it's not the first I would try.

Two others that I would be interested to see what you though of are Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez. It's a very strong, sexy fragrance that was super interesting but to strong for me. So I bought Or des Indes by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. It's a softer version of Bal à Versailles IMHO.
    They both have a musty sexyness that you might like.

LOL @ your post, lookinglass. It was entertaining!

"Hippie smells" is often short-hand for patchouli & resins, which in turn were popular oils used by the hippies in the 60s/70s, and often popular because they conveniently masked the smell of pot.

I'm not sure if the Original Poster was after "what do hippies smell of?" although I like your take on it.

I like your scented journey, though, lookinglass; a modern hippy story. (Of course for all I know, you could have been part of the original movement in the 60s - in which case it'd be fun to hear what you guys wore for perfume back then ).

I enjoyed the post too. No, I didn't actually mean I wanted to smell like someone in particular who is a hippie. I was thinking more of the various smells associated the early seventies. You know, when you'd walk into some cute shop that sold incense and oils, and the whole shop would have a smell that you couldn't isolate because it was an amalgamation of it all.
    The other catalyst was that hemp is now an ingredient in a lot of beauty care products. Hempz makes a gel that smells yummy (not the shampoo or conditioner, though they have a leave in that comes close) and The Body Shop has a hemp hand cream. They made me crave a fragrance that comes close.

The Czech & Speake 88 and the mondale sound interesting. My fear is I can go either way with Jasmine. I like it young and light. I guess (I've been reading a bit here, I hope I'm not going to sound stupid now) it's the difference between fresh and indolic jasmines, and I don't like the indolic. Does that affect the suggestion?

I think I'm going to go play at the mall. I should be able to find the cartier there, and there is a big and lovely l'occitane there.
    Last edited by debbborra; 5th October 2008 at 02:03 PM.

Actually, there was just one other consideration. For my birthday, I was given a gift certificate to The Body Shop. I got the hemp hand lotion, and an olive oil dry oil. Dry oil is great when you're in a hurry in the morning and have to move fast.
    The problem is I prefer delicate perfumes for the most part (Lush's Karma would be the exception) and they react poorly, I've found with the olive smell of the oil. But I think the incense-y smell I'm looking for would be less badly affected. (Pardon my awkward grammar.)

Hmmmm.

If you like light jasmine, you might really enjoy Jo Malone honeysuckle and jasmine.

If you'd like something that smells very hippy-ish, headshop-style, BPAL is almost guaranteed to have scents you'd find fun.

Otherwise, look for perfumes that contain one or more of: patchouli, sandalwood, myrrh, frankincense, opoponax, styrax/benzoin and labdanum - and to some extent vetiver, lavender, rose and spices too. If you want to go in the woody/spicy direction, try Feminite du Bois, or the Serge Lutens "bois" fragrances. The Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens might be great for you.

You might end up with a surprising choice if you first wear the body products you like and then go off on a sniffing tour & apply the scents you're trying directly on your skin. Let us know what takes your fancy!

P.S. if you can get hold of the Lush sister company's scents (Be never too busy to be beautiful), you might like "1000 kisses deep" or "Two Hearts" fragrances from them. As for Karma, try the body lotion as a lighter way to wear the scent. It's lovely.

Thanks. I'll keep you all updated.

Nukapai, I just wanted to give you a little update. The B line is not available yet in the US, at least not in a way that is accessible. So, I wrote a note asking about samples, and not only will they send me some, they wrote a really lovely note.
    I feel like I want to buy something from them now whether I like the fragrances or not. Excellent customer service makes a huge difference.
    Also, I liked the descriptions of the scents, which were at times somewhat personal and anecdotal. I found that charming.

I confess conversely, feeling overwhelmed by the website for Black Phoenix. It's not that it didn't look good; there was just so much. I felt overwhelmed.
    I bought a sample of Inspiratrice from Perfumed Court and that came today. I'll try some of the other hard for find suggestions there, in my next order.

let me know what you think of the ones I reccomed. I dont have many friends who are as into perfume as I am so it's really fun for me to discuss this with you.
    Hi there, I really want Muscs Koublai Khan, Le Beige de Chanel, The Unicorn Spell, original Samsara. Will you contact me if you can send me a decant or bottle or those or anything on my wishlist? Trade, buy, whatever. I have 100% positive Ebay feedback & bottles that are not yet listed on Basenotes. =)

I absolutely will. Hoping to find the cartier at least at Nordstrom. And the rest I may have to find online.

I'm enjoying this thread. Yes, I remember the melange of smells from head shops in the late 60's and into the 70's. Black-light posters, underground comix, patchouli and incense, macrame and love-beads... a lovely sort of idealism (perhaps I'm romanticizing).
    Oh well.
    All this talk of Czech & Speake No. 88 makes me wish I'd tried it when I was in the shop in London. I did get their Frankincense & Myrrh which I think is excellent. I like very dry incense scents, not heavy or excessively spicy, just a really good and slightly austere/pure resinous note.
    Hey man, this a beautiful vibe we're layin' down. Peace.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    Nukapai, I just wanted to give you a little update. The B line is not available yet in the US, at least not in a way that is accessible. So, I wrote a note asking about samples, and not only will they send me some, they wrote a really lovely note.
    I feel like I want to buy something from them now whether I like the fragrances or not. Excellent customer service makes a huge difference.
    Also, I liked the descriptions of the scents, which were at times somewhat personal and anecdotal. I found that charming.

I confess conversely, feeling overwhelmed by the website for Black Phoenix. It's not that it didn't look good; there was just so much. I felt overwhelmed.
    I bought a sample of Inspiratrice from Perfumed Court and that came today. I'll try some of the other hard for find suggestions there, in my next order.
    That's great to hear about B (I recommend them happily because I work for their sister company - the one that makes Karma ). And BPAL site is a mysterious perfume cornucopia - if ever you feel bored one night and have the energy to browse through the descriptions, there might indeed be something that you like there. I think I've seen tons of BPAL reviews online too, maybe it was makeupalley - anyway, there should be some recommendations floating around the 'net for ease of selection.

The other night I also saw your post about your old fave - and it made me think that you could find Malle's L'Eau d'Hiver quite nice. (Not a hippie smell, but a peculiar cool, synthetic violet/iris with a creamy vanilla dry-down).

I don't have time to reply, but this was a nice start to the morning. I'm going to miss my bus.

I second Purplebird about (delicate) Coromandel and (heavier but still sophisticated) Patchouli Leaves, two of my favorites right now. They are like different versions of the patch/amber theme -- love them, even though I don't like most straight patchouli. I completely understand the hippie bias -- I'm attracted to scents that might be called post-hippie in the same way people used to talk about things being called "post-modern". In any case, I think no one here has mentioned a gorgeous "hemp"scent that was referred to in the Perfumes book as having a "hippie heart": Coze by Parfumerie Generale. Big caveat is poor longevity, but it's definitely worth a sniff -- maybe it will do better on you. In any case, many of the PG's have a chic-hippie vibe, because they are herby/woody and natural smelling, while also avoiding cheesy head-shop obviousness. L'ombre fauve by PG is popular and sort of hippie-smelling but I don't really like it that much -- not a musk-lover.

I just sprayed on the L'Inspiratrice. I like the opening. And I see why it's such a good suggestion in this context. I'm looking forward to seeing how it wears.
    I'm also looking forward to the next batch of samples, not least the Frederic Malle, and the Coze which might be just the thing, based only on the hemp.

On an unrelated note I like Silverbullet's avatar today.
    Or to be topical, I suppose I could say I'm digging it.

Post Re: Hippie smells

Patchouli Antique..Les Nereides..Won't freak you out, I promise.
    Patchouli Leaves..Montale..The best, of the best.

Happy hunting!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I went to the mall today where nothing went as expected.
    I loved everything in Cartier's line on paper except the Panthere Legere that I'd so looked forward to. I didn't try it on just to be sure, because I was out of skin. I did try the Le Baiser Du Dragon. Oh, how beautiful. At first. But it quickly dried down into something soapy and pedestrian on me. Which was a shame.
    I loved everything by Hermes I smelled except the Moussan at first. I agree there's something about that initial melon ocean mix that's off putting. It may have dried down to something lovely but it was hard to tell. It was on the back of my hand. On my wrist I'd smelled the Silver version of Emilio Pucci's Vivara. I loved it in the bottle. I thought, Oh! It smells like grape koolaid and I like it. But on it has that sharp note that I get from the green, and it's a little bit pickley. Not bad, but just too much. Too strong. Too omnipresent. Or maybe it was the Fresh Rose Cannabis a bit further up the arm, that I'm deciding if I like. I need extra arms. Something on that arm was too strong and it wasn't the poor overpowered Hermes.

On the other arm I tried Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil. I liked it. But I only smelled the citrus and wood. The flowers were lost somehow. I like it though. I may buy a bottle.

I tried on Guerlain Omnia Crystalline. I can't smell it at all. I sprayed it in the crook of my arm. It faded. On the back of my hand was Le Baiser Du Dragon. I wish that wore better on me.

The lovely women at Nordstroms loaded me up with samples. Kenzo flowers Kenzo Amor. Narciso Rodrigues, David Yurman and Versace.

The big surprises for me were Alien and Flowerbomb which I didn't expect of have an interest in. And something.... they showed me something, with pears. It was nice. What was it?

neat, i'm always suprised how different perfumes smell on other people. i didn't like the Panthere Legere either last time I tryed it, but things always change. the Le Baiser Du Dragon smells, to be rude, like magic sex on me. it's like a dream. i'm kinda glad it didn't like you ;p
    i'm going to go try those that you just posted now. i'm interested in how they will work out.
    Hi there, I really want Muscs Koublai Khan, Le Beige de Chanel, The Unicorn Spell, original Samsara. Will you contact me if you can send me a decant or bottle or those or anything on my wishlist? Trade, buy, whatever. I have 100% positive Ebay feedback & bottles that are not yet listed on Basenotes. =)

Creed Angelique Encens.

I'll put that on the perfumedcourt list, unless I manage to make it to Saks today. Does Saks carry Creed? They must.

I have a few no one has posted yet. I also have LUSH Karma, and very nice. I also like Reminiscence Patchouli, which is available at cottonisland.com or YOS Miami online. I also am a grown up hippie and I love sandalwood and patchouli alot, along with musk. Neil Morris makes a few other as well, that would be great. "Hippie' is perfect, as well as 'Summer of Love'. I also have Lola's original and if you can find a bottle of this fantastic oil, since it is discontiuned, you are in luck. It is wonderful and sexy. Also like Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Patchouli and Jitterbug, which smells like an older hippie smell. I hope these help. Try to get a sample pack from Neil Morris, he has at least 4 that would fit the bill.

Dawn

Thanks so much. I'll check those out.

The patchouli scents I love now seem nothing like the few I tried as a teenager in the late seventies, early eighties. I think I probably only tried cheap, horrible oils in those days because I only remember NOT liking them at all. I adore patchouli now as long as it is well blended and not at all sharp. My faves are Mazzolari Patchouly, which some say starts off as patchouli then morphs into a heavenly amber, and Les Nereides Patchouli Antique which dries down to a gorgeous vanilla patchouli and is pillowy soft.

I'm just going to toss out this one, didn't see it in any of the previous posts:

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Officially discontinued, but a classy incense "hippy" type scent; on the sweet side, but soft. It is frequently at places like Perfumania, etc, those perfume shops in the malls.