Good middday!

Another day in Hermès Hiris for me.

Enjoy your Sunday, all!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Sur la Plage

Default Re: SotD Sunday 28 September

SOTD: Mugler Cologne

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 28th September 2008 at 09:04 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

good morning!
    I am wearing Como & Brigante NOU

Sampling Azzaro Chrome on my left arm and M7 on the right.

I quite like M7. The drydown is light woody and a bit creamy sweet on me.
    On the other hand, Chrome, oh..I nearly choke to death of its acidic-metallic smell of the middle note.
    But it has a decent basenote. Something fresh and moss-ey you normally expect from a man scent.

Have a nice day, everyone!

I´m wearing Green Irish Tweed today (courtesy of darling Ms Q).

Sunny and mild here, will bake some pies with apples from our garden and put in the freezer. Else, I hope they are showing some old movies with Paul Newman on one of the film channels. R.I.P. Paul.

A base of Goutal Mandragore and Tauer Incense Rosé for me today.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

EL Beyond Paradise, courtesy of Taolady's pick in the pick-my-SotD thread. Strangely, it suits a sunny autumn day perfectly. (I don't know why that seems strange,but it does).

I'll be baking apple pie today too, but from store-bought apples.

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday!
    Last edited by Nukapai; 28th September 2008 at 10:24 AM.

Wore Ralph Rocks this morning, J'Adore in the evening. Yes I'm getting psyched for summer....

Nukapai....I am baking an apple pie as well Does make us kind of scent sisters today, I think.
    Oh, the smell of cinnamon, warm apples, almonds and a dash of Grand Marnier....

Edit: just noticed my Musse is also baking apple pie.....Is this something we all crave on autumnal Sunday's??

The scent of yesterday evening's fragrance still lingers in my hair, beautiful and warm. So I simply will wear it again today

Bois de Paradis
    Astaroth, my dear, you know you need that bottle, don't you? Don't fight it

:: oh, it is so wonderful here, on the dark side::
    Last edited by Riannon; 28th September 2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Adding
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

There is a tax free sale on cosmetics at a nearby mall, so I'm going in and preferably I need something that will scare people away from me. ( so that I have some space to move around between the other frantic woimen)

I'm thinking half a sample vial of an Aoud might do the trick, that should be rather strong or maybe what I have left of Arabie.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    I´m wearing Green Irish Tweed today (courtesy of darling Ms Q).
    Looks like Ms. Q. is trying to green us all up! Thanks to her I'm spending the morning in a sample she sent me of her beloved Nanadebary Green - my second try at this frag.

On me the lemony opening is dry, but quickly sweetens to a light leafy greeness that is more floral than green. There's a hint of wintergreen in it somewhere and the bottom's slightly herbed. Don't think it does for me what it obviously does for her very fine nose...for now I'm gonna stick with (sigh) Central Park and Cabochard.... (I know - I know....)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 28th September 2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Today is our area "Walk to Cure Juvenile Diabetes", so I'll be outdoors, hopefully with lots of people, in the predicted 70 degree - partly cloudy weather...Feminite du Bois should fit the day nicely! Enjoy your Sunday, especially all you apple pie sweeties!

Fracas edp

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Looks like Ms. Q. is trying to green us all up! Thanks to her I'm spending the morning in a sample she sent me of her beloved Nanadebary Green - my second try at this frag.

On me the lemony opening is dry, but quickly sweetens to a light leafy greeness that is more floral than green. There's a hint of wintergreen in it somewhere and the bottom's slightly herbed. Don't think it does for me what it obviously does for her very fine nose...for now I'm gonna stick with (sigh) Central Park and Cabochard.... (I know - I know....)
    Ms Q introduced me to this one a few months ago and I loved it. Dry, herbal with a hint of floral, perfect for a nice summer day. Comdiva generously sent me her bottle , which promptly got confiscated by my 17 year old daughter, who loved the scent and the packaging. It now graces her dresser and I get to enjoy smelling this beauty on her (plus sometimes I spritze from it now again).

Wearing Shalimar EDP again today, a gift to myself.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Epicea for today. the water's been murky, so the diving's been blah. maybe today will be exciting!
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

can't decide between being ethereal and "divine" or warm and earthy, so I will probably have a spritz of Divine on one wrist and Imperial Opoponax on the other.

oops, forgot about the pick my SotD, so tonight I shall be in Opium....
    Last edited by rtamara41; 28th September 2008 at 01:13 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Plus

UbuandIbeme, best of luck with the JD walk. Such a good cause.

Sharing the house with Nukapai,

Estee Lauder Sensuous for me today.

Have a lovely Sunday, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Carthusia Io Capri - my favourite figgie scent for da day.

Its the end of my Sunday, but I wore EL Sensuous today. Spring is certainly showing its head here, can't wait to wear my fave Summer scents in the near future

Lux by Mona di Orio

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Dunhill Edition as SotD this dark, rainy south Florida morning. Green fougere with an incense undertone.

Top Notes
    Lemon, Petitgrain, Bergamot, Clary Sage, Basil, Lavender.

Middle Notes
    Clove, Cinammon, Nutmeg, Geranium, Muguet .

Base Notes
    Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Amber, Musk
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Miller Harris' Terre d'Iris for me today. It's lovely.

Endymion - Penhaligon's

I am wearing Vamp today. I am spending the day indoors, writing a proposal for a presentation.

It was white aoud ( have 3 samples of it so I good use it liberally) and arabie.
    Im getting used to arabie, shock horror.

Either way my plan failed me because I was assaulted by shop assistants who really asked me every minute if they could help me by trying to push chanel chance on me. I was very tempted to tell tem if they could guess what perfume I was wearing they could sell me anything they liked.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Black Cashmere

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

We baked apple pies last Sunday, and I've been pulling delicious, juicy, tart apples from the basket seen here for munching daily. I'm extra regular this week.

Am having a chypre Sunday as I do proofreading for work. Givenchy (that translates to "III") from Lushsoup (U.S. West Coast) radiates from my left arm while YSL Y from Musse (Norway) rises from my right arm. I was surprised at the contrast of the top notes. Y is in a much higher key signature than GIII. I also have sweet scents lingering on my fingers from rifling through Lush's crazy-generous mailing, and that's mingling quite fine with the Chypres.

As I wrote to Lush: Show me a better hobby than sampling fragrances. She was stumped to suggest anything more fun. Just think where these chypres have traveled so I could enjoy them in Wisconsin. What a wondrous age, what beautiful people.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    We baked apple pies last Sunday, and I've been pulling delicious, juicy, tart apples from the basket seen here for munching daily. I'm extra regular this week.

YSL Y from Musse (Norway) rises from my right arm. I was surprised at the contrast of the top notes. Y is in a much higher key signature than GIII.
    Oh! Uncanny; just caved in and bought a 100ml EDT of Y yesterday. Why does it seem exciting to be sniffing the same scents? Heh.

Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Oh! Uncanny; just caved in and bought a 100ml EDT of Y yesterday. Why does it seem exciting to be sniffing the same scents? Heh.
    And apparently as you were typing this post as I was reading your comments about Y in another thread. Yeah, it's mind-blowing. Another human being, whom I've never met in person, sitting at a computer on the other side of the planet is smelling this, and I know her thoughts. Whoa, think I'm having a religious experience.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

My sotd was Narciso rodriguez edt,chosen by Chaelaran.Sote is Poison. You people made me crave apple pie....But we don't have any apples to bake it with....Tomorrow then maybe (or Egoiste which I sometimes think smells a littlebit like apple pie)

Egoiste/Chanel
    Snarky is as snarky does.

summer means fireflys

More sampling today, thanks to Quarry. I'm giving Floris Santal a test run today.

mmmm apple pie! You guys have me seriously craving some apple pie now!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

For this wonderful, sunny Sunday
    I've chosen L'Ete en Douce by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Happy and safe day to all
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Pulled out an oldie: Armani Night She.
    I still enjoy it, but it pales in comparison to newer, more interesting discoveries. Still, as a neutral no-brainer, it performs.

Ok, ladies, you've made me hungry with all that talk about apple pie baking and it's dinner time over here.
    Me, I've had a very relaxing Sunday with a husband, a cat, a blanket, a couch and lots of motor sports on TV
    Through all that I've been wearing L'Occitane

Miel et Citron

Have a lovely evening and "see" you all tomorrow morning!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I am back with heartfelt thanks to all of you people who were thinking of me kindly!

Cool in the mornings (61F=16C), still hot in the daytime (89F=34C).

Wearing a couple of scents on different parts of the body, but getting the most waffage from Mauboussin Histoire d'Eau.

Impérial oponax by les néréides on my left arm and Haramens edp by PG on my right.

Today is a great day...

I'm in YSL Nu

Eau de Guerlain ~ lemon, bergamot, verbena, neroli, thyme, oakmoss and tonka

I am wearing Byblos, but not enjoying it. It wears a bit soapy on me.

Happy Sunday, all!

Today is a "sampling the classics" day for me:

Jean Patou 1000 EdP on the right wrist: wow, so elegan and smooth, but with a dark undercurrent. I can't wait to see how this continues to develop.

Lanvin Arpege EdT on the left wrist - there's a note in here common to Eclat de Arpege that I don't like - a bit too cloying and dare I say, a bit "vulgar" on me. I can't quite figure out what it is yet. I hear this improves with time, so we'll see.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 28th September 2008 at 07:28 PM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quarry: and also another add this--->

While still in pj's sipping coffee I tested out some Aimez Moi. and Private Collection. Quite different scents on two different arms. I can tell that I will have to do full wearings to know more.

Now I'm going to spend the day in Coco, as SOTD for my first all-day testing of my sample.
    -----
    edited to update: I'm already feeling queasy probably from over-application of this powerhouse. I'm trying to muscle through it because I know it is a great scent.
    Last edited by lushsoup; 28th September 2008 at 08:01 PM.

Here's the apple pie I baked earlier

That apple pie looks delish Nukapai, I bet it's all gone now! Thanks for choosing Allure Sensuelle for me today. The original Allure is awful on my skin but Sensuelle is gorgeous. A girl I passed by in a shop entrance was wearing something very yummy today: soft, not overbearing, very slightly gourmandy. I wondered if it was L de Lolita Lempicka.

More Vetiver testing today...

Left arm: Bois 1920 Vetiver Ambrato
    Right arm: Hermes Hermessence Vetiver Tonka

Vetiver Ambrato---I am not sure I smell any vetiver! Bois 1920 as a house has a tendency to be very light, and so I really poured on the sample. However, I think all the Bois 1920 fragrances must be sprayed to get the full effect. I can't say I really know what is going on with VA, it is THAT subtle. On the plus side, the sweet amber is a light one, and could be a great day-time scent.

Vetiver Tonka---ouch, near asphyxiation! I thought all the Hermessences were faint and short lived, so I poured this one on, too. The beginning is really more of a burnt caramel, probably from the Tonka. The vetiver comes out a bit later, and unfortunately, has a sort of "fennel" quality to it. That is a very unattractive scent for my skin which tends to amplify this in some scents. Then, the real bomb hit with very heavy sour (probably citrus) and woody notes along with the vetiver. Plus some smoke. It was really harsh and slightly nauseating (gave me a terrible headache). In the late drydown, the citrus lingers and smells of bug spray. I can't say I would recommend this one. It really lacks the refinement of the ones I sampled yesterday.

Smile Re: SotD Sunday 28 September

Wearing Fresh Sake. It never seases to make me feel god.

Asha...I just love Vetiver Tonka. By your description we are sniffing completely different fragrances LOL! I get a sweet and light green but warm scent. Nothing harsh or sharp about it!! That's the way it goes, eh?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Guerlain Héritage EdP as SotE. Nice as the weather begins to show signs of Autumn.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Blog Entries

Our house guests have moved on to stay with friends in Santa Cruz, and I'm decompressing in my comforting Costes.

Nukapai that pie is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Do many ladies here bake, maybe we can start another topic in a different section, I can show off my rainbow cake then

Lushsoup, I envy your Coco. I was pondering buying it today but even with the tax free reduction I felt it was still very pricey and I might wait a little more until I'm at an airport that is cheaper than Iceland. I still love Coco though. You smell yummy!

Another quesdtion, do you think it would be allowed to set up a thread where people can sign up if they feel like sending sampled to one another? Kind of like pic my sotd but then pick a sample for another person that you send off to them?
    Last edited by Lian; 28th September 2008 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    Wearing Fresh Sake. It never seases to make me feel god.

Asha...I just love Vetiver Tonka. By your description we are sniffing completely different fragrances LOL! I get a sweet and light green but warm scent. Nothing harsh or sharp about it!! That's the way it goes, eh?
    Yes, and I am not surprised. I think VT has a large resemblence to Terre d'Hermes, and I can't wear that one, either. I think the Iso E Super really sends my sinuses haywire! :P
    Last edited by Asha; 28th September 2008 at 11:27 PM.

I wasn't baking pies today I was instead watching football with my friends.
    I chose:

Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe

as my scent to do it in.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Sunday as much as I enjoyed mine.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Mmmmm, Nuka, that pai! (Sorry for the bad pun.)

SotE: Bois de Paradis, inspired by Riannon and the discussion of baked fruit desserts. Overapplied over here slightly (easy to do with the DelRaes), but it's still lovely, albeit a bit of a big blackberry bomb. Funny, I don't usually like gourmands or fruity fragrances, but the cinnamon, blackberry, and other delicious notes blend so nicely, plus, as with all DelRaes, the quality is amazing.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Better late than never; in the woods, wearing Carnal Flower.

Attitude by Armani
    Gary

You gals are killing me with the apple pie talk. YUM!

I'm in Sonoma Scent Studio ROSE MUSC again today. I'm still in love with it!

Yesterday's stop at Nordstrom was fairly unexciting, though I did test Hermes Un Jardin Apres La Mousson (thumbs up), Bulgari Black (thumbs up), Narciso Rodriguez for Her (thumbs up), Dior J'Adore (pretty, but not me) and Tom Ford Black Orchid (not to my taste; cloying on my skin). I plan to sample Mousson, Black, and Rodriguez more extensively.

I was disappointed in Nordie's service, however. The SA's seemed more interested in bantering amongst themselves than in helping customers (though one ran over to Men's to get the Black for me). This store is famous for its service, so I'm hoping this was just a bad day!

Gorgeous pie, Nukapai. I used to cook and bake. No time now.

SOTE: En Avion parfum. very leathery.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Lushsoup, I envy your Coco. I was pondering buying it today but even with the tax free reduction I felt it was still very pricey and I might wait a little more until I'm at an airport that is cheaper than Iceland. I still love Coco though. You smell yummy!

Another quesdtion, do you think it would be allowed to set up a thread where people can sign up if they feel like sending sampled to one another? Kind of like pic my sotd but then pick a sample for another person that you send off to them?
    Lian, it's funny because I was not very comfortable wearing Coco today. It felt too formal for me, I think, and not a personality match. It's a beautiful scent but just not "me."

I think there is a thread like you're mentioning that happened recently, and I don't know how to search for it properly to get the wording correct--I'm sorry I can't find it for you! If I find it I'll edit this or pm you. I was considering buying Coco as well, and I used up my sample so I cannot send you any.

I think the thread was called "spray it forward", so that should turn it up in a search.

I was in need of some familiarity this evening, so I am in my usual...Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe.

Love Spell
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com