Code of Conduct

Thread: Divine Scents

Default Divine Scents

Apparently I can only take divinity in small doses...
    I am sampling Divine by Divine today and am nearly being asphyxiated!
    Initially I thought I would love this one, it reminded me of Grace by Philosophy and Child perfume, it has that clean pure quality, but with a more committed wearing, (a spray to the wrist and to the neck) I am overwhelmed with white flowers, it seems.

On the other hand, I am throughly delighted with L'Inspiratrice by Divine. It is described on the website as a "lofty union between rose and patchouli" and it is a marriage made in heaven, as cliche as that may sound, I can't help it. I wore this all day yesterday from a sample and couldn't stop sniffing my wrist surreptitiously throughout the day. Good longevity, not overbearing, a gentle earthy presence of beauty. The other notes here are supposedly ylang ylang, vanilla and a touch of musk. The combination is delightful and highly wearable. This goes on my wish list directly.

any other impressions of Divine fragrances that anyone would like to share?
    I wish they were not so pricey. $120 for 50ml.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 28th September 2008 at 03:00 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Divine Scents

Hi,

I have not tried the Divine one, indeed I was put off by reviews along similar lines to your experience. I plumped instead for L'Inspiratrice, which I share your enthusiasm for, though somewhere recently I posted that I thought the opening a bit odd, as if the rose, patchouli and vetiver were engaged in a pub brawl. It has a gloriously smooth and harmonious drydown though, and I would class this as a sultry and elegant evening scent.

The other one I have a sample of is L'Ame Soeur, which is very aldehydic, but if you haven't got a problem with a bit of mad powdery fizz, it is rather pretty as I recall.

Have you tried any others you would recommend?
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I am quite in love with L'Infante. It is an exquisite creamy floral that keeps evolving on the skin. It is cheery and buoyant rather than moody (Songes and Bois de Paradis being examples of moody perfumes). The sillage and longevity are amazing. I have owned my bottle for a year and know that I can never be without it.

Blog Entries

I tried them all after getting hooked on L'Inspiratrice. L'Infante almost had me but ended up just too sweet. L'Homme Sage is very smooth but definitely male IMO. If you like L'IS. try Montale 'Patch. Leaves'. It's a bit more to the point (patchouli, that is) without as much floral and powder. Very green and fresh, uplifting.

I had received a sample pack from the company and L'Ame Soeur was my favorite. The only way I can describe it is: Somehow they took the current version of No.5 in the EDP, reworked it and made it better (Sorry St. Coco of Chanel!)
    I bought a 1 ounce decant of it from Perfume Court for around $45 last year...SCORE!!

'lofty union between rose and patchouli', I have to try this! Think First In Fragrance have Divine samples so I'm off to take a look!

hmmm.... I passed l'infante forward to someone in a sample just a couple of days ago...I can't remember who because I am getting old. I also can't remember who sent me the wonderful samples to begin with??? come on now, fess up, whoever it is!
    THANK YOU!

L'Ame Soeur sounds interesting...chanel no 5 reworked? Yikes. what does the name mean, My dear sister?

problem is, I am in simplify mode. I don't need more to put on my lust list...ACK!

kumquat, I take my patchouli lightly, I like Patchouli patch by L'artisan, and I love Jalaine's Patchouli, which is sweet and edible, not too dirty, Voleur de Rose is good also, but I almost prefer it on a man. I really like the delicacy of the patchouli in this Divine L'Inpiratrice. I think they got it just right!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I have to agree with Therese that L'Infante is exquisite.
    It reminded me of wonderful flower arrangements in churches
    on a wedding day, or the kind of smell you get in large country
    houses as you wander through the long galleries. The ivy note has me
    intrigued and the other notes just sing out "quality." Chinese Jasmine,
    Blackcurrant Leaves, Peony, Ambergris, Vanilla, Musk and Tonka Bean.
    Last edited by kewart; 29th September 2008 at 09:00 AM.

Based on a few comments here, L'Infante is going on the list to try, thanks!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    hmmm.... I passed l'infante forward to someone in a sample just a couple of days ago...I can't remember who because I am getting old. I also can't remember who sent me the wonderful samples to begin with??? come on now, fess up, whoever it is!
    THANK YOU!

L'Ame Soeur sounds interesting...chanel no 5 reworked? Yikes. what does the name mean, My dear sister?

problem is, I am in simplify mode. I don't need more to put on my lust list...ACK!

kumquat, I take my patchouli lightly, I like Patchouli patch by L'artisan, and I love Jalaine's Patchouli, which is sweet and edible, not too dirty, Voleur de Rose is good also, but I almost prefer it on a man. I really like the delicacy of the patchouli in this Divine L'Inpiratrice. I think they got it just right!
    According to Luckyscent it means Soulmate.