Code of Conduct

Default "Fragrant but unfit" - what activities have you ditched since discovering perfume?

I have just been for a swim at my local health club, which cost me £29.50 ($51). Well, that is what it will cost me if I go again before the end of Tuesday, otherwise it will have cost me £59 ($102). Yes, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that since the onset of perfume mania earlier this year, I have become fragrant, but unfit.

Reading the posts here, I am by no means sure that other members are as undisciplined as me - I distinctly remember a couple of people speaking of applying perfume before going to the gym. So there are clearly perfumistas out there who have managed to integrate fragrance in their lives whilst maintaining a healthy "work-life-perfume" balance.

mikeperez23 doesn't have any time management issues either, I bet, because his solution is of course to "Sleep less. Smell more."

So I wonder whether there are any members out there who feel that they have let certain chores slide, or sacrificed pastimes they used to enjoy at the altar of perfume?

For me, the lapsed hobbies would be sport, reading novels and newspapers, knitting and watching TV.

In terms of neglected chores, I missed the critical spring window for repotting a number of houseplants whose confined quarters must have been causing them considerable discomfort. I forgot to de-flea the cats this summer, or treat the leather on the sofa. Recently I started outsourcing my least favourite garment categories in the ironing mountain to a local company. I even had a man come and mow the lawn, though that was a one off. I am still seeing my friends, though the poor buggers know that at some point I will inevitably mention the "p" word.

Perhaps I am beginning to get a grip - I did go swimming today and yesterday, miraculously, I defrosted the fridge for the first time in 8 years.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 28th September 2008 at 03:56 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Default Re: "Fragrant but unfit" - what activities have you ditched since discovering perfume

Ugh, I hear ya. I have totally stopped sailing my sailboats. Mostly because I broke the gooseneck of my boom a few months ago, which put a crimp in my sailing. It's a lot more expensive to have a special piece forged than to spend the money on perfume. So, now I sail other people's sailboats, which doesn't happen very often.

I did manage to wear perfume *and* go sailing yesterday. And today, I'll be wearing perfume (Imperial Opoponax) while scraping paint and caulking. So, it's all good. But I'm definitely not as fit as I was last year this time.
    Last edited by Aiona; 28th September 2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Imperial Opoponax

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Fragrant but unfit" - what activities have you ditched since discovering perfume

This is one of the most brilliant new topics to arise. And you wrote so cleverly and honestly.

Certainly my fitness has suffered. In some ways I've ignored my family, but then again, if gives me something to talk about with DH when we're together, and he's clearly joined in the fun of wearing fragrances. I could have been doing more landscaping and gardening, but now I figure DH will get around to assuming all of those responsibilities once he finishes our renovation projects next year.

With all that said, I am still a better person for perfume--or, more accurately, for the whole experience of perfume and online communications with Basenotables. (Hey, I like that word!)
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Saving money.

Kidding...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mossaia View Post
    Saving money. Kidding...
    Spot on for me, and I'm not kidding! I have noticed that I've been spending much less on clothes, however.

I also have been reading less fiction and more perfume reviews/websites. It's time I turn around and start saving money and reading more books (I miss reading). But I'll still keep coming to Basenotes daily to see what everyone is up to, what's new. Really, I think all the news and info I need can be found here. And you guys are just so much fun!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I actually *love* the smell of perfume wafting up off my skin as I work out in the gym. I'm not a gym rat, but due to a health issue, have recently become much more active.

I noticed that when I work out after the office - the fragrance I've had on my skin all day gets reactivated by the heat and perspiration. I'll be sitting there on the stationary bike, plugging away, and all of a sudden the most delicious smells waft up from my arm. This is especially true for the perfumes with notable staying power - Ambre Sultan, Habit Rouge, Heritage, Bel Ami, etc.

Given the stale sour smell of my gym, I may refresh my fragrance before hitting the machines

Teddius

Blog Entries

I'd say ironing is a thing of the past and gardening is going on autopilot.

Ha-hah, brilliant new thread. Very apt.
    I like to think that this semi-new (for me) hobby keeps me SANE.
    Relatively anyway, but then everything is relative.
    I do enjoy the sensory aspects, the analysis, and now the chat.
    Long may it continue!
    Still havin' fun...
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Great question! I am spending less $$ on groceries, but as far as time spent??? I still manage to keep up with my other activities. I am not sure I keep my mind on them as well, though, because I am constantly wanting to run to my computer and shop for scents online.

Great thread, VM! I have pretty limited leisure time, so this new passion has pushed some other favorite activities at least partially to the side for now. These include doing the daily NYT crossword puzzles, reading fiction, and following politics (I'm feeling a little guilty about the latter, though I do know for whom I will vote). And yes, to be honest, exercising (though that's not on my list of favorite activities - LOL).

I have a maid so... housework should be fine, even though sometimes I do some of it too.

And I'm lazy by nature, I didn't have to discover perfume to be lazy. :P

None really, although working on perfumes can take a considerable amount of time testing them, sniffing, jotting down notes, and just being introspective and contemplative about the process. When I wear a perfume, unless I'm writing a review, I just enjoy its presence. I still play guitar as much as I ever did, go the gym more, and have just started participating in running races, and occasionally do a bit of hobbiest programming. I won't let any of my hobbies overtake others that I enjoy, and I freely take time away from any hobby that I get a bit burnt out on, as it tends to happen because I get obsessive with them (in cycles.)

Perfume is the easiest hobby, imo, to avoid clashing with others, as for the most part you can just spritz it on and enjoy it - it needn't take much time or thought away from your daily activities - but then on those lazy or contemplative days, you can wear a scent and just dissect it from start to finish and have a deeper understanding of it so that you can more fully enjoy it on the next wearing. That's actually one reason I don't want a huge wardrobe - I like to get to know my scents inside and out so that the few I own are all "close friends" and not mere acquaintances.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    I'll be sitting there on the stationary bike, plugging away, and all of a sudden the most delicious smells waft up from my arm. Teddius
    Your reported incidents of "fragrance wafting" may yet inspire me to go back to the gym, where I used to spend 20 mins on the bike in a typical routine.

I am finding everyone's comments interesting and helpful - I started this thread partly in confessional mode, but also in the hope that I might pick up tips from other members as to how to get that balance back!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I think that we all go through phases. Over the years, I've had many time-consuming passions.

For my fragrance addiction, I distinctly remember giving up:
    - salsa-dancing, I used to go twice a week
    - working on stained glass and leaded glass projects (I have a mini-studio in my basement, everything is gathering dust)
    - watching TV (I now do not watch TV other than for special events)
    - posting to non-fragrance sites
    - real home cooking (now we just do the frozen stuff and re-heat leftovers)
    - activities with my kids (this worked both ways, now that they are more grown, they rely on me less)

Interestingly, what I didn't give up was:
    - cycling, as I'm still a very avid cyclist, but only in summer
    - taking loving care of my poochies (I now have three of them)

Life is now boring, but boy, do I smell nice! I can also recognize scents and know more about perfumes than the average perfume SA.

Dear VM - I too, am trying to achieve some balance and I think that it just comes and goes. I spend less time on fragrance sites, but always come back to Basenotes! I have plans on making another beautiful tiffany stained glass lamp this winter. This should take up some time during the long dreary nights.
    Last edited by dimples; 29th September 2008 at 02:53 PM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I completely know where you're coming
    from with this!!!

When I initially 'got into' fragrances
    that was probably the case with me too.
    I spent less $$$ on everything else and more
    on fragrance purchases.

However, it seems as thought I've come
    out of that stage - somehow.

Now, I only purchase fragrances
    I really, really, really want, so once again
    there's more $$$ and time left for investing
    in my yoga classes and workshops.

I no longer measure the cost of everything in
    how many bottles of fragrance I could have purchased
    for it - and believe you me, I used to LOL!

I still love to be fragrant, but being fit is more important!
    To the yoga studio I try to either go scent-free or stick
    with a dab or two of something like Ava Luxe Sacred,
    No. 23, or Shisha.
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I don't spend much money, even on fragrance. I only work sporadically as a substitute teacher right now so I'd feel too guilty spending extravagant amounts of Hubby's hard earned cash on perfume. But proportionately, pretty much my entire income is spent on my fragrance hobby. Money isn't the issue here with me so much as time spent online reading about and shopping for perfume. Even if I decide not to purchase, I can still while an entire day away doing this. Activities I'd like to spend more time on again: reading, professional development (necessary), arts & craftsy things like crochet and making bead jewelry, gardening, bike riding and walking, experimenting in the kitchen with new recipes. Just about everything else I like to do, basically. I'm glad you brought this up because it strengthens my resolve - temporarily anyway.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 29th September 2008 at 03:13 PM.

oh...where to begin.....

Since becoming a perfume junkie...I have almost abandoned the other 'Net sites I used to haunt - mostly about reading/literature - because I spend my time reading on perfume-related sites. I still enjoy reading books, and I read daily, but my time on the 'Net surfing "literature" sites has dropped off dramatically.

Chiming in on the comment by Teddius about the enjoyment of fragrance at the gym and the comment about cycling.....
    I cycle whenever the weather permits (winter is impossible of course), and in the last several months I've enjoyed a couple of comments from fellow bicyclists who have commented that my "draft" is lovely to smell - Yeah!! - along the lines of -- "I want to ride behind Lorien because she smells really good!" [grin]
    I try to get to the gym two or three times a week, and so far, a couple of people have mentioned that "it smells good over here" when they've been next to me.
    (I'm a lady of "a certain age", so my cycling and gym efforts are not of the Olympian variety - but at least I'm making a continuing effort.)

I've always been a dedicated shopper - I love clothes, shoes, handbags, make-up, etc. - and I still love all those things and shopping for them, but I've noticed that I've cut down dramatically on buying so that I have some money left for perfumes. However, the economy (yuck) is making me even more careful, lately. It's good to know that I've amassed a fairly sizeable collection so that I'm secure in the knowledge that I'll be smelling wonderful for many, many years.
    Last edited by Lorien; 29th September 2008 at 05:08 PM.

What activities have we ditched? OK, I'll be the first to say it: on more than one occasion I *may* have put aside WORKING in favor of perfume.

However, I try not to get too down on myself since I seem to get a lot accomplished while still procrastinating on perfume websites.

for those who like literature with their fragrances, check out the "poetic scents" thread on the men's side!
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

ha ha ha ha! This thread made me laugh, but then - oh dear - I realised it was the accuracy that I was laughing at. I'm not the most houseproud person in the world, so I still do my chores as reluctantly as ever, but the things I've probably cut back on most are clothes and shoes. Though I think that might be because my interest has coincided with a move to Switerland where the clothes shopping is way more expensive and less interesting than I'm used to. (Also, they don't do so many of the erm, chunky sizes I require.) So I have one or two big buying sessions a year but think more about what I really need, rather than frittering money away. But I do find myself thinking in terms of 'that top costs as much as a decant of...' oh dear.

So for me it's been more budgetary constraint than anything else. I have diverted my spending from books, clothes, handbags and cosmetics to perfumes. Though I will admit that I don't read many news websites anymore and it did take me a bit longer than expected to knit that sweater for my daughter, everything else pretty much goes on as usual. I think. Am I in denial?

As for physical activities, my favourite is skiing and I had a few good goes last winter. I favour a 'warming' incensy scent for skiing, like Black Cashmere or Nu. (Though with its Ralgex topnote I maybe should be wearing Midnight Poison.) I like to get a little waft when I open my jacket and I can burrow my nose down for a whiff in an attempt to compensate for the fug of sweaty bodies and cigarette smoke crammed into a big cable car. (I swear I saw Karl Lagerfeld in a cablecar last year, but I don't think he'd have been skiing in the downmarket place I was in. Made me grin, anyway.)

I've been moving house recently and although I haven't worn makeup for weeks, have mislaid my moisturiser and seem to be living in the same half dozen scabby old t-shirts, I have worn perfume every day. Yes, maybe it's denial.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Spot on for me, and I'm not kidding! I have noticed that I've been spending much less on clothes, however.

I also have been reading less fiction and more perfume reviews/websites. It's time I turn around and start saving money and reading more books (I miss reading). But I'll still keep coming to Basenotes daily to see what everyone is up to, what's new. Really, I think all the news and info I need can be found here. And you guys are just so much fun!
    I love my public library. You can read for free, you just need the time.

Working, period.

It's done wonders for my love life, though

I traded in 28 years of smoking