Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Red face Unsniffed Miraculous great finds

On the other side of the unsniffed mistaken purchase, which have been your triumphs over reason?
    I have had a few lucky buys ( I may think of more later);
    Halston 'Catalyst' needs a while to calm down but is a real surprise with great silliage.

Salvador Dali 'Dali' original. A real corker of a chypre with snazzy cedar base. Great bottle, too.

'Miss Dior' EDT Took a chance on a new one and it was just fine, then got on to the vintage, even better.

Gres 'Cabochard' Love aldehydes anyway so what's the harm at $15? So great. Smokey leather & Ylang.

Molinard 'Molinard' A shot in the dark since I hate all Molinards. This one is different. Fresh floral aldehyde.

'Turbulances' Never heard of it but it sounded good and so cheap! It's great! Green, cedar chypre pretty!

Givenchy III re-issue Excellent aldehyde. Just perfect. I'm so glad I got this one. I never had the original so I don't know the comparison anyway.

'Bulgari Femme' Semi-dri violet with a light powder dry-down. Quite lovely and springtime frag. A bit debutante for me but very high class. Makes me feel like having a manicure.
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th September 2008 at 05:37 PM.

Default Re: Unsniffed Miraculous great finds

Lacoste pour Femme - subtle, elegant, somewhat indeterminate day scent recommended by another member.

Balenciaga Le Dix - initial powdery aldehyde-fest eventually gives way to a dreamy perfumey core of molten violets. Bought on the strength of two reviews and glad I did, as this is indeed, as the reviewers promised: "Gene Tierney in a bottle".

I have made many mistakes - but ironically perhaps - none due to unsniffed purchases!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 28th September 2008 at 06:26 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

My finest unsniffed purchase based on reviews here was Black Cashmere. I love the wintery warmth of it, and wear it when I need to feel snuggled. It's one of my calming perfumes.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Il Bacio for me. It was my search for info on this perfume that lead me to Basenotes but at least a year passed before I actually bought the fragrance unsniffed. Most fruity fragrances go sour on me but not Il Bacio, the drydown just gets better on my skin the longer I wear it.

Great thread idea!

My best blind buys are a bit pathetic - Yves Rocher scents, mainly. I rarely buy blind. This, I feel, is about to change because I'm sick of hearing about certain brands that I can't sniff, but are available online... might need to order decants first, just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Salvador Dali 'Dali' original. A real corker of a chypre with snazzy cedar base. Great bottle, too.
    Oooh, one of my all-time favourites. I wear it rarely, but I don't want to run out; usually always have a bottle of it around. The only other Dali worth bothering with is Laguna (that is - as the name suggests - a sort of watery fruit).
    Last edited by Nukapai; 28th September 2008 at 09:10 PM.

YSL Nu
    Rochas Absolu
    Balmain Ambre Gris

All very nice with my chemistry. I had such high hopes on the Nu, that I was scared to spritzing, but I was not disappointed.

Lots of mishaps, but Lou Lou was a blind buy years ago, and now I love it. It has taken me about 3 years of living with it untouched though.

I try not to do any blind buys anymore after so many failures, but I'm still really tempted.

Wait, Detchema was a great blind buy for me.
    Last edited by lushsoup; 28th September 2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: thought of something else...

I purchased a large decant of 06130 Lentisque unsniffed. Very Nice.
    Another unsniffed purchase, largely due to reviews on Basenotes, was Neonatura Cocoon. Because Cocoon was so good I purchased Yria and love it.
    Also purchased Nina unsniffed based on the review in Perfume: The Guide. I like it but don't LOVE it.

Oh no, don't tempt me!

I'm trying to break my habit of buying unsniffed. Most of the time it has *not* worked out for me. With most of my unsniffed purchases, it's because I've found a good deal. I always think, "But it's only $10 or $15 (or $20 or . . . .)." The problem is that those cheapie purchases add up (and take up space). For the cost of five bottles I bought unsniffed on the cheap that don't work for me, I could have bought one bottle of something more expensive that I really like.

However,
    - Cabotine has turned out to be a nice floral green frag, perfect for attending summer weddings and the like.
    - Elizabeth Arden Green Tea is a serviceable green-tea/rhubarb spritz.

I wouldn't classify these as great finds, but I have enjoyed them.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 29th September 2008 at 12:33 AM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

I've had loads, although none are magnificent obsessions:
    Yves Rocher Cocoon
    de Nicolai Cococabana
    Chantecaille Frangipane
    Givenchy III
    Tocade
    Femme EdP
    to name a few

I have had more blithe mistakes, mostly from Marshalls, always fifteen bucks or less.

Blog Entries

This is interesting, I'm finding out some I've never heard of, like 'Cocoon'.

Arwen_Elf, What did you think of 'Balmain Ambre Gris'? Any notes?

I forgot to mention Laura Biagiotti 'Roma'. A light amber chypre with a twist of mint. Tangy and unique.

I know, I know......DON"T buy unsniffed fragrances!! However --- that's how I've found most of my collection. I'm probably unusual, but I search for reviews from folks who seem to have similar tastes as mine, then I read, read, read other reviews and then search for a really good buy online. (I'm not in an area where I can run to a large shopping mecca to do any actual sniffing. And, if I find good deals online, then a whole bottle is sometimes only a bit more expensive than samples + shipping....)

Several of my true loves have been unsniffed buys, after I have done copious research:
    Mauboussin by Mauboussin
    Histoire d'Eau by Mauboussin
    Ambre Gris by Balmain
    Cristobal by Balenciaga
    Talisman by Balenciaga
    Chergui by Serge Lutens
    Infusion d'Iris by Prada
    Absolu by Rochas
    Femme by Rochas
    Nuit de Noel parfum and edpby Caron
    Narcisse Noir parfum and edp by Caron
    Farnesiana by Caron
    Parfum Sacre edp by Caron
    Mitsouko edp by Guerlain
    L'Heure Bleue edp by Guerlain
    L'Instant Magic by Guerlain

Shocking, isn't it?? - that I've found SO MANY great ones without having even sniffed a sample before I bought them

Your mileage may vary - and I find that I don't tend to pick apart a fragrance to find "off notes" that I don't like. All of the above make me very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien View Post
    I know, I know......DON"T buy unsniffed fragrances!! However --- that's how I've found most of my collection. I'm probably unusual, but I search for reviews from folks who seem to have similar tastes as mine, then I read, read, read other reviews and then search for a really good buy online. (I'm not in an area where I can run to a large shopping mecca to do any actual sniffing. And, if I find good deals online, then a whole bottle is sometimes only a bit more expensive than samples + shipping....)

Several of my true loves have been unsniffed buys, after I have done copious research:
    Mauboussin by Mauboussin
    Histoire d'Eau by Mauboussin
    Ambre Gris by Balmain
    Cristobal by Balenciaga
    Talisman by Balenciaga
    Chergui by Serge Lutens
    Infusion d'Iris by Prada
    Absolu by Rochas
    Femme by Rochas
    Nuit de Noel parfum and edpby Caron
    Narcisse Noir parfum and edp by Caron
    Farnesiana by Caron
    Parfum Sacre edp by Caron
    Mitsouko edp by Guerlain
    L'Heure Bleue edp by Guerlain
    L'Instant Magic by Guerlain

Shocking, isn't it?? - that I've found SO MANY great ones without having even sniffed a sample before I bought them

Your mileage may vary - and I find that I don't tend to pick apart a fragrance to find "off notes" that I don't like. All of the above make me very happy.
    Yes, yes, exactly! I don't have access to many scents "in person" so I buy them sight-unsniffed, and most of the time, I am very happy with the purchase. Some especially serendipitous blind buys for me have been:

Ormonde Woman
    Amouage Gold
    Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan
    Shiseido Sourire
    Shiseido Camellia Superieur
    Shiseido Chant du Coeur
    Nina Ricci Coeur Joie
    Caron N'Aimez que Moi
    Caron Or et Noir
    Balenciaga Quadrille
    Chanel 31 Rue Cambon
    D'Orsay Divine
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien View Post
    You and Leesee bring up a good point. I can certainly understand unsniffed buys when there aren't a lot of options around. In San Diego, while I can't find everything, I have easy access to Sephora, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Saks, and Neiman Marcus, so I don't have much of an excuse.

Also, well-researched blind buys are always a better gamble. Many of my blind buys have been more impulsive--going to somewhere that has good deals (ahem, Marshall's and TJ Maxx) and seeing a bottle where I think I might remember that there could have been good reviews.

So no one piece of buying advice fits all. For me, though, the "no unsniffed" rule is a mantra I need to repeat to myself!
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

I think Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Rouge is my best blind buy. I also bought Bulgari Blu Notte blind--I find it to be a "solid" inoffensive daily-wear fragrance. I am happy to have found it at discount (TJ Maxx), but I don't like it as much as The Rouge (also found at TJ Maxx).

Soir de Paris: a good, everyday nostalgia scent, prefiguring YSL's Paris with a touch of Lancome's Tresor, and cheap as chips.

Vol de Nuit. I knew it was for me -- sometimes you just *do*.

Miller Harris's Feuille de Tabac. And thank god, it's so bloomin' sexy.

Agreed on the Le Dix, Verucca Mushroom. For me, that fragrance felt like 'coming home'.

Blog Entries

I'm impressed, Lorien & Leesee, you have nerves of steel & good taste. Good research helps. SoirD, I just tried MH Feuille and was initially impressed, then dri-down I was wavering. I'll definitely give it a splash-on 2nd try. It is intriguing. Vol de Nuit is one that I took a chance on bcs I only tried the EDT. I knew there was something there but it was just not right. I went for the parfum and WOW! that's a keeper.

Vol de Nuit is one that I took a chance on bcs I only tried the EDT. I knew there was something there but it was just not right. I went for the parfum and WOW! that's a keeper.
    Oh, yes, kumquat. The parfum is stunning. And it smells so amazingly 'contemporary'; it's most impressive.

Institut Tres Bien Tres Russe. I was at a Sephora in France and could smell the cologne a la russe. Somehow I wanted something with more character. They had the last box of Tres russe but no tester. So I took it, and it's one of those fragrances that help me make it through hard days.

The only blind buy I ever made that turned out to be a longtime love was Tresor.
    The rest of my faves were all fully test driven!

This is interesting, I'm finding out some I've never heard of, like 'Cocoon'.

Arwen_Elf, What did you think of 'Balmain Ambre Gris'? Any notes?

the notes I have seen in other blogs include pink pepper, cinammon (although I really cannot smell it), tuberose, (I can smell orange blossom and iris, but they are not listed), inmortelle flower, myrrh, gaiac wood, white musk.

It starts very flowery and light and the dry down is woody and the has also the prominent note of ambergris.

I liked it, and at the time I was one of the many people who bought it for $25.00. I think the same website now sells it for $32. But I believe 100ml sells for $120 at Luckyscent.

Hi kumquat!
    You know me--never a blind buy.
    Never. Not once.
    And yet, see how well it works for many people?
    For those of you who are unaware of this fact, kumquat and I are good friends in real life and live nearby. She has seen my reams of detailed notes and knows how obsessive I am about researching notes.
    But I never buy unsniffed. Why not? It's just my way. Besides, I always get to smell kumquat's blind buys!!! And all the other lovely scents in her Library of Fragrance.

BTW, kumquat, I found another little assortment of samples that I forgot in my nightstand.
    I'll bring 'em over, hopefully this weekend.

I don't tend to buy blind, but my four have been huge winners: Dior Diorella, Bulgari Black, YSL Y, and Gres Cabaret.

'Course, I read all the reviews, write-ups, and other info I could find before I ordered.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    the notes I have seen in other blogs include pink pepper, cinammon (although I really cannot smell it), tuberose, (I can smell orange blossom and iris, but they are not listed), inmortelle flower, myrrh, gaiac wood, white musk.

It starts very flowery and light and the dry down is woody and the has also the prominent note of ambergris.
    I liked it, and at the time I was one of the many people who bought it for $25.00. I think the same website now sells it for $32. But I believe 100ml sells for $120 at Luckyscent.
    Good deal, I read about this price discrepancy. Where did you get yours? Can we still get the good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    YSL Nu
    Rochas Absolu
    Balmain Ambre Gris

All very nice with my chemistry. I had such high hopes on the Nu, that I was scared to spritzing, but I was not disappointed.
    Nu was one for me, as well! I love it, too. I also bought Bal a Versailles unsniffed, because it was a 30ml EdC for $11, and I like it a lot - I want to try the EdP now.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    ally like.

However,
    - Cabotine has turned out to be a nice floral green frag, perfect for attending summer weddings and the like.
    - Elizabeth Arden Green Tea is a serviceable green-tea/rhubarb spritz.

I wouldn't classify these as great finds, but I have enjoyed them.
    I love them both, but I know what you mean. If I had to pick only a tiny number of fragrances from my collection to keep for the rest of my life, these two probably wouldn't make it into the top 5. Having said that, given the choice (which thankfully I have), I wouldn't be without them.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by kaye dawn View Post
    Nu was one for me, as well! I love it, too. I also bought Bal a Versailles unsniffed, because it was a 30ml EdC for $11, and I like it a lot - I want to try the EdP now.
    Oh yes, I forgot about this one...and I only just bought it a couple weeks ago! I think you got a better deal, tho

I realize I also bought and love these unsniffed:
    • Narcisse Noir
    • Nocturnes
    • Fleur de Rocaille (classic)
    • Nuit de Noel

Love the new avatar, lushsoup!

I think my only unsniffed purchase is a 30 ml Jo Malone Kohdo Wood Day (Lotus Blossom & Water Lily). I had tested Night and like it. I like Day even better!

I bought the following unsniffed and LOVE them :-

Roma - Laura Biagiotti

Y - Yves Saint Laurent

Ivoire - Balmain

I tend to trust people's opinions on this site!

I don't have a habit of buying unsniffed,but was veeery tempted by Nahema...And luckily I love it! Other unsniffed scents that I just bought was all my Ava Luxes: Rasa,Love's true bluish light and Madame X. Particularly happy about the Madame X.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Love the new avatar, lushsoup!

I think my only unsniffed purchase is a 30 ml Jo Malone Kohdo Wood Day (Lotus Blossom & Water Lily). I had tested Night and like it. I like Day even better!
    Isn't Lush's avatar great - now are those split peas or mushy peas? The pea pod garnish on top looks pretty intact, certainly.

I am wearing Kohdo Wood Day today and if I had bought it unsniffed I would have been very pleased with my purchase! I just got to sniff Sweet Lime and Cedar in Manchester this morning. Have decided it is a beautiful smell, and am still unsure whether it is a beautiful smell that I want to smell of. I keep coming back to Walkers Sensations Gently Infused Lime and Thai Spices crisps, which taste exactly as this smells!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Rhubarb! That's what's in the EA Green Tea! I knew it was something familiar, but couldn't place it until now...thanks!

I also think that EAGT is one of those spray-all-over-on-a-really-hot-day kinds of scents; nothing I'd wear to a party, but fine for a July morning when I'm hanging around the house.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

I've bought lots of unsniffed, nearly all decants, but only after knowing what kinds of scents they were. My list would include (among others): Vol de Nuit, Jo Malone Woman, Sycomore, A Rose Poivree, Carnal Flower, Fleurs de Cassie, Jolie Madame (vintage), Eau de Cartier, Angelique Encens, CDG's incense series, Un Jardin Sur le Nil, Miss Dior (vintage)...others, usually in 1.5 ml decants, sometimes swaps.

Not many FB's though. I took a chance on Paloma Picasso, completely unsniffed at TJ Maax, and love it. Also Turquoise, a serviceable summer fragrance, also at Maax; don't love it quite as much, but it'll do. Bought a FB of Grey Flannel there too, for my husband; I love it on me, he doesn't like it quite so much, says it's too strong for work, but he does like the Eau de Grey Flannel.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

I'm very tempted by some others that have been mentioned here, particularly Nahema, Sweet Lime & Cedar, and Balmain Ivoire. I think I'll test them first if I can!

Good deal, I read about this price discrepancy. Where did you get yours? Can we still get the good deal?
    Parfum1

http://www.parfum1.com/perfume.asp?a...=keywordsearch

They raised the price from $24 to $32.50. Still a pretty good deal. They also threw a new bottle of Worth's Je Reviens.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 3rd October 2008 at 05:17 AM. Reason: To include more accurate information

I've bought loads of decants unsniffed, but I kind of count those as 'super samplers', so feel less bad about it if I don't love them.

I have a dreadful habit of adding 'a little something' to an order, but I'm reining myself in as I've just bought too many things that don't work for me. However, past purchases that I have fallen madly in love with include:
    Madame Rochas
    Vol de Nuit
    Jicky
    Gres Cabaret
    Le Baiser du Dragon
    Hypnotic Poison
    Bal a Versailles
    and several others that I'm sure I'll remember through the day and say 'oh and that too'.

I have had a lot of failures though. See my swap list for a more comprehensive list of those!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Feminite du Bois... all thanks to Miss Wordbird

I got lucky and actually ended up buying a fragrance unsniffed that has come to be my number 1, the amazing L'Anarchiste by Caron.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more