Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Upcoming Fantastic Man magazine / Byredo parfum collaboration

Read about this today online...

Byredo Parfums, the line that makes Pulp which I first smelled this summer in Stockholm, has announced a collaboration with the quarterly mens magazine Fantastic Man.

If you all remember FM magazine published the interview with Luca Turin that I reprinted here, here and here. It calls itself a 'Gentlemans Style Journal'. I personally like the intelligent reporting and not-so-'fluffy' content. Tom Ford graced the cover of Issue No. 7. The publishers of FM also publish the edgy, gay 'zine printed on pink paper and usually conveniently located behind the counter at American Apparel shops, 'Butt'. In the internet age, I find myself reading magazines less and less, but I always enjoy every single issue of FM.

Byredo Parfums has five fragrances: Pulp, Gypsy Water, Rose Noir, Chembur and Green. Ben Gorham, founder of Byredo, was interviewed by Grant here on Basenotes.

The upcoming scent, Fantastic Man is an Eau de Cologne, '...a modern interpretation of the classic eau de cologne...' Five, very Limited Edition versions, of the scent are being sold at luxury department store NK in Stockholm, coinciding with Fashion Week in NY. These are in a unique bottle designed exclusively for NK by designer Johannes Svartholm. Later, this autumn, the regular fragrance (pic below) will also be launched at Barneys in New York and Colette in Paris

Thanks to stockholmfashiondays.com and NK for the info.

Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th September 2008 at 10:20 PM.

Default Re: Upcoming Fantastic Man magazine / Byredo parfum collaboration

Thanks for the info, Mike. Personally, this seems like a pointless release as Byredo already released a cologne-type fragrance in the form of Chembur. This house has yet to impress me and I very much doubt that this offering will change my mind.

mike...i just saw this in the newest details magazine...on the inside of the mag there is a mini grooming mag that talks about body wash, aftershave, shampoo, shave products and fragrance and this owas one of them! Im curious!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

have anyone sniffed "Fantastic Man" lately?
    I love thier magazine & willing to purchase it from Colette -Paris but waiting for a review?

someone has this scent on sale in the sale thread...

i have sampled Green from this line and found it too be very true to its name and most importantly, an enjoyable scent to wear. the quality is certainly there. dunn oabout the rest...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Thanks for the info, Mike. Personally, this seems like a pointless release as Byredo already released a cologne-type fragrance in the form of Chembur. This house has yet to impress me and I very much doubt that this offering will change my mind.
    Agreed.

Except that this one is a limited... oh wait, it's very limited (in character, i'm guessing)
    Last edited by Amit; 7th April 2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I spoke with Les Senteurs about a week or so ago, and they informed me that Byredo planned on releasing it country by country over the span of a few months, and because of that they did not know when it would be available for purchase. BUT, they expected a tester in within two weeks to make samples using. So hopefully within the next week/week and a half, les sentuers with have it available for sampling.

Blog Entries

Barneys has this now and I'm wearing it and sniffing my arm as I type (the release date was June 1st, apparently).

I would characterize this as a spicy, woody incense.

Note's I'm getting: A tiny pinch of cumin, which comes off more as a source of spiciness than sweatiness. Tree bark - probably cedar. Sap and tree resins. A pinch of moss. Pepper and light salt (salty like a person after getting sweaty). Some sort of incense, but without any smoke. A tiny pinch of citrus (or maybe even something like mango, with its odd funkiness), but not enough to make this come off as fruity, but just enough to keep it from getting really dark and dank. Fragrant wood furniture (probably cedar again, but maybe rosewood). There could even be some vetiver or greenish patchouli bubbling under everything to give it that green spice-mix, but I'm nowhere near enough of a nose to be sure.

It's the smell of camping in the forest, with some incense burning. I can even smell the sweet decay of the pine needles on the ground. It's a bit sweaty, but not in a bad way - it feels natural in its surroundings.

This is very much a modern composition, but obviously classically influenced. And this smells very "niche."

If I had to compare it to something I've tried, I'd call it a more wearable, or even a more "human" (as opposed to scientific) Bois D'Orage/French Lover.

Or maybe like something from the CdG incense line, but minus all the synthetics.

As silly as the name might be, I actually get it. If someone's dream man is out in the wilderness, cooking over a fire and chopping wood, smelling a little dank, this would be what his life would smell like.

edit: Oh duh. It's named after a magazine...
    Last edited by rogalal; 4th June 2009 at 05:50 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Thanks for the info....this sounds interesting.
    Gary

So far for me all of the Byredo scents have been very unimpressive.
    I tried "Fantastic Man" a couple weeks ago when I was in Barney's. If I was going to get a new eau de cologne I'd go with the new Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose over this. For half the price.
    This is a scent that just conjured up a big yawn in me like the rest of the line has, so far.
    If I'm going to spend these prices I'd better not be yawning.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

Honestly, I get where SMM is coming from. With the exception of Pulp, which I hope to test soon but fear will end up smelling like fruity shampoo, Byredo has yet to move me.

On paper, Fantastic Man was kind of a one-trick pony with its cumin & woods, but the SA (who knows what I like at this point) insisted I wear it out. She was right - none of the incense or salt or anything that made it interesting came through on a quick sniff. It really did require a proper wearing...

I'm certainly not sure if I liked it enough for the huge price, but it's nice and I'm glad I gave it a chance. For all the samplaholics on here, it's worth adding to the to-try list...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Plus

Agreed, SMM.
    This line does not impress me.
    Pulp actually made me a little sick to my stomach.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the detailed review rogalal. It sounds like niche-by-the-numbers, which can be either a good or bad thing depending on who you are and what you want.

I think the name will confuse most people, since the magazine has such a small circulation. But I do like it's sense of humor. I'd love to wear it one day and have someone ask what I was wearing, just so I could reply with the snappy name.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th June 2009 at 11:59 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle