Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Play and Intense

Anyone know the scoop on this? where exclusive? when coming out? thanks

Default Re: Givenchy Play and Intense

Both of these are now available at sephora.com

They have been out for a while. I managed to get a large bottle of Play on Ebay new for $24

I have Play Intense and it's like an intense version of Rochas Man. They're really, really, REALLY similar (at least on my skin)...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    They have been out for a while. I managed to get a large bottle of Play on Ebay new for $24
    i dont think so,. you cant find them in other countries.. and no info about the release date or distribution.

i really want to try the regular version "play". the intense is a risk if is so close to Rochas man, make me sick.

I've seen them in European websites, like escentual, for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by omniray View Post
    i dont think so,. you cant find them in other countries.. and no info about the release date or distribution.
    The Now Smell This blogsite says that it will be available in September. However, I already see it available online at Sephora.com. There's been instances when it has not been distributed yet in the US and it already was out for sale at discount perfume websites as in the case with Mugler Ice Men if I remember correctly.

I'm for Intense, because I do love Rochas Man and Bond No. 9 New Harlem.

Interesting how they decided to put out two different versions at once.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Both versions are now available at The Bay across Canada. No testers as of today, or samples!
    Last edited by graffham; 16th July 2009 at 12:30 PM.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Macy's now has it online, too. Not sure about stores... you might want to check them out, too.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

The regular Play is very much along the same lines as the new Zegna Colonia, like a frosty citrus with a touch of wood. Although I must say, the amyris wood that is part of the composition imparts a nice sensual effect. I rather liked it and yes, there is some originality there. It lasted and lasted on my skin.

Play Intense, on the other hand, is intoxicating, but may not be appropriate for summer where Play is. As has been said, it's a mish-mash of Rochas Man, A*Men, Bulgari Black and the like, with a strong immortelle note and a kind of tarry, roasted coffee note that's admittedly fun and somewhat original for non-niche.

Play and Play Intense finished almost identically on my skin, well into the next day. So, a good 18 hours of wear.

Incidentally, the bottle is clumsy and unattractive, very square and wide, hard to handle, with a top that's the same size as the width of the bottle. Hard to remove.

Mar

I'm interested in these simply because Lucas Sieuzac, the nose behind Amouage Reflection for Men and Jubilation for Women, is the nose for these two. So far they sound good.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Hednic, what do you think of Play? Can you give a short review. Thanks
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I found them at Nordstrom - Intense is the best for me but its too much like Polo Double Black and Rochas Man so not worthy a purchase from me.

Sur la Plage

I tried them both at Nordstrom. Nothing that new or exciting. But Play Intense is decent and much better than Play.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 15th January 2010 at 11:49 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I tried both Play and Play Intense at Macy's today... the SA said that they got them in two days ago. I liked the Play Intense the most-similar to Bvlgari Black, but a bit spicier. The regular Play was a bit lacking. Liked the iPhone/iPod touch-esque bottle, too (looks better in person than in the pictures).

I already own Bvlgari Black, so I have no need for this. But still, teens/young adults just graduating from Axe (which is Givenchy's target audience for Play... look at the ads with Justin Timberlake for proof) could do a whole lot worse.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I saw these at Dillards the other day.....I really liked Intense which was a Great shock, a nice shock I must say.....Play is to weak.....was gone in an hour.....Intense got my attention.....Gary

I have to say, despite the naff bottle and ad campaign, I really, really like Play Intense a lot.
    Last edited by Riverwide; 1st September 2009 at 07:19 PM.

According to a source working in LVMH, it has been launched globally; sales objectives are akin to both, even though the Intense version was the preffered option among most Sales Reps participanting in a launch briefing.

I tried both, I liked the Intense over the regular one. I can't recall their notes, but it did get my attention in that they were not blended according to the usual style in fashion nowadays.

I regret Tirmberlake's presence, it does look like a celubescent rather than a brand by Givenchy. But the scent is fine. Of course, there are better options around, so I guess I won't be buying it - maybe in the next ten years.

Yeah, the Timberlake presence and lame bottle design(Why on earth should a perfume bottle ever look like an mp3 player???) are such a turn-off, but Intense really has quite a lovely smell.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I saw the them last week. Yeah, the bottle design looks contrived and trite. Plastic-ky even. Didn't even realise it is a Givenchy, I thought it was Adiddas. The frag has to be really good for me to get the crap looker.

I tried the intense at macy's and it's definetly much better than the regular one.

So out of these which ones would you guys would you choose for a date night? or just winter in general

the Intense
    Versache Dreamer
    or Polo Double Black?

I'm 18 by the way. I'm also picking up Angel Men, or is that to strong for me for winter?
    Last edited by Metalica77; 2nd September 2009 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalica77 View Post
    I'm 18 by the way. I'm also picking up Angel Men, or is that to strong for me for winter?
    Intense and / or Angel Men:

Intense; I think it is a fine contemporary fragrance

Angel Men: one of my 20 something female student admitted that whenever his boyfriend uses A Men he wants to hug him for hours.

I would give the last one a chance. Still, don't forget to exercise your seduction skills, the fragrance won't do it by its own.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Metalica77 View Post
    So out of these which ones would you guys would you choose for a date night? or just winter in general

the Intense
    Versache Dreamer
    or Polo Double Black?

My son is almost your age - he and his friend both chose Givenchy Play (regular) over the new Lacoste. My wife likes the Intense. If you're going to pick out of that bunch, I would pick the Intense, I guess. Personally, I like the new L'Homme flanker better right now, but I think the Intense will fare better as it gets colder.

Have you tried the A*Men Pure Malt? I think that would make an excellent fall and winter scent. And A*Men is sweet and gourmand enough to go well with a snowy, foody holiday, IMO. Just avoid too strong in tight places.

I talked to my very market-savvy SA. She says that the Intense was blowing away the regular Play at her store - the 2nd store to tell me that. But when I asked her why she thought that was so, she speculated that it's because the Intense is hitting stores at the perfect time for a fall scent, and that the regular will pick up and reverse the trend in the Spring.

Versache Dreamer

Angel Men

I could get both 1oz bottles for $30 but the play is gonna be like $57

Play Intense

I might just get the dreamer and the Play, because Play might be a great gourmond like the A*Men but not as strong and hardcore? Am I right?

Play Intense is pretty good, and will most likely be my next purchase. I wore samples of it twice this week to work, and just felt awesome in it. If there is anything like it, I would love to try it, because I think it's pretty darn good, and if it isn't original, I'd like to know what came before it.

I was given 2 samples of Givenchy Play when I bought my Gucci Pour Homme II and well.. I do like it but it's rather forgettable. The Intense version may be better but I haven't tried it. Overall Play is rather unprepossessing.. especially when I saw a picture of the bottle on the sample packaging.
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 2nd September 2009 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Rewording.. like always

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Play Intense is pretty good, and will most likely be my next purchase. I wore samples of it twice this week to work, and just felt awesome in it. If there is anything like it, I would love to try it, because I think it's pretty darn good, and if it isn't original, I'd like to know what came before it.
    Nothing exactly like it, but some more complex frags that bear certain resemblances:

Givenchy Pi Neo - the musk is similar (regular Play is actually closer to this)
    Bulgari Black - the rubber note is much stronger, but much less gourmand
    Viktor and Rolf Antidote - the rubber note is slightly stronger
    A*Men Pure Coffee - the gourmand aspects are similar, but this is much better IMO
    L'Instant PH EDP - the cacao gourmand is similar and overall much better IMO

Everything is bad here - bottles, advertising, scents.
    Play is fresher and Play Intense is more on the gourmand side. I don't like any of these two, but if I had to choose I would choose Play (not Intense)
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Nothing exactly like it, but some more complex frags that bear certain resemblances:

A*Men Pure Coffee - the gourmand aspects are similar, but this is much better IMO
    Pi neo I've tried and wasn't impressed, and I seldom ever test a fragrance twice if I wasn't impressed upon initial test. Pure Coffee I tried as well, and I found it to be too similar to Angel to consider purchasing, since I already have Angel. The rest I haven't tried. But I think Play Intense is pretty good though. I think I'ma get it. I might have to start an appreciation thread. Hmm...

I tried Play the other day and it was pretty good, a little synthetic smelling but good nonetheless. I would really like to try the Intense version, but my local dept store doesnt have it for some reason.
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

The original Play is surprisingly not bad.

My girlfriend liked it, but I wasn't too into it. Like Speed00kills said, it was a bit synthetic, but it's not bad; just not my style.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

My friend text me from Macys saying he found a new cologne by Givenchy that he thinks I'd love. I knew it was either Play or Play Intense. I finally tried both. I would love to clean my toiler with it but thats where the love stops. Its an awful scent. Very very poorly constructed. As other companies are improving synthetics to where they smell kind of good actually (Mugler, Dior) Givenchy is doing one hell of a job making junk. Hubert would be proud!!!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I tried them both at Nordstrom. Nothing new or exciting. Both have been done many times before - and better. I would never purchase them - no not for even $1. But I would expect them to show up at Marshalls/TJ Maxx later this year for $19.99.
    Givenchy Play: citrus and a touch of (ply)wood.

Nothing quite fails like trying to be "not bad." In the case of Givenchy Play this intention seems deliberate.

Talking Re: Givenchy Play and Intense

No resemblances but better options, IMO, purely suggested as antidotes for struggling (unnecessarily) with Givenchy Play

the loved to be hated:

Diesel Fuel For Life
    Paco Rabanne Black XS

It's interesting to me that the Intense is out there simultaneously as if to create the illusion of a longed for in between...would purchasing one or both accomplish that? Does one sell the other? Just notions...
    Last edited by ortho123; 15th October 2009 at 08:12 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Poorer version of Armani Code IMO. Blame the pushy SAs for turning me off this frag.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Pi neo I've tried and wasn't impressed, and I seldom ever test a fragrance twice if I wasn't impressed upon initial test.
    Larwiz, if there was just ONE piece of advice I could give you, it would be to always test at least twice. Maybe not right away. Space them out. But it is REALLY worth it to come back to fragrances. Your nose will change, and you WILL find things you love that way. Trust me.

Larwiz, if there was just ONE piece of advice I could give you, it would be to always test at least twice. Maybe not right away. Space them out. But it is REALLY worth it to come back to fragrances. Your nose will change, and you WILL find things you love that way. Trust me.
    I agree! I hated Gucci Pour Homme II cause the black tea was so overpowering.. then I tried it a couple more times and eventually bought a 100ml bottle! Now I wear it all the time.

I actually really enjoy both of these scents - they've got that sort of muted, soft, lines-are-blurred between the accords impressionistic approach that I saw in Sieuzac's other work, namely Reflection Man (not that they compare in quality of ingredients or composition, but it is interesting to see what I think is his trademark style).

I don't find either ostensibly synthetic - they both just have a slightly rough west indian sandalwood (amyris wood) note that becomes quite prominent in the drydown. These aren't scents to be worn to garner tons of attention - they are soft, muted, and warm - better for quiet fall (intense) or summer (play) days where introspection is the biggest thing on your to-do list.

For what it's worth: the first time I sampled Play I got a horrible puke like note that then became a 'dirty dish towel' like note (also noted by Kevin on NST) that lasted for about 45 minutes. On subsequent samplings everything went fine.. i'm just worried it may go rogue again in the future. Has anyone else had this experience or anything similar with either of these scents?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 16th October 2009 at 11:23 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Wearing Play Intense again and am once again thoroughly impressed. There is little evolution, it simply becomes woodier as it dries down, but it really feels like a quality composition to my nose. It is far less synthetic smelling than nearly every designer and many niche scents I've tried. It has that sort of smoothness to the blending that many Amouage scents exhibit (I only mention Amouage because with the exception of Epic Man all their frags have that in common).

A nice and soft comfort scent that bears the best qualities of frags like A*Men and Rochas Man without the potentially offputting qualities. Granted, I understand how playing it safe as such can turn some off. Anyone else enjoying Play Intense more now as the weather gets cooler?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Wearing Play Intense again and am once again thoroughly impressed. There is little evolution, it simply becomes woodier as it dries down, but it really feels like a quality composition to my nose. It is far less synthetic smelling than nearly every designer and many niche scents I've tried. It has that sort of smoothness to the blending that many Amouage scents exhibit (I only mention Amouage because with the exception of Epic Man all their frags have that in common).

A nice and soft comfort scent that bears the best qualities of frags like A*Men and Rochas Man without the potentially offputting qualities. Granted, I understand how playing it safe as such can turn some off. Anyone else enjoying Play Intense more now as the weather gets cooler?
    SoS, I REALLY think you will love Penhaligon's Endymion. It's the niche, higher quality version of Play Intense. It's got some of Rochas Man and A*Men, only done with an incredibly deft touch, making it light wearing as an EDC. Understated and smooth, it's beautiful.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Hey Mtgprox, I was just looking at your wardrobe to see what you thought of Play and Intense as we do tend to have (mostly) similar tastes.

Upon your recommendation I'm definitely going to add Endymion to my test list. This style of frag is not really my favorite or something I'd reach for often, but it would be nice to have a gentle and soft gourmand in my wardrobe. The closest I have now is Bois de Turquie.

I'm ashamed to admit I've not tried a single Penhaligons frag yet. Come January or so when I put in a huge sample order, that will be remedied!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 25th November 2009 at 02:06 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I own bolth of these frags. And I'm kinda a nut when it comes to Givenchy frags but these left me disappointed. Don't get me wrong I like bolth of them but after Pi Neo I was really hoping to be blown away. Cool bottles, but just decent frags.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Hey Mtgprox, I was just looking at your wardrobe to see what you thought of Play and Intense as we do tend to have (mostly) similar tastes.

Upon your recommendation I'm definitely going to add Endymion to my test list. This style of frag is not really my favorite or something I'd reach for often, but it would be nice to have a gentle and soft gourmand in my wardrobe. The closest I have now is Bois de Turquie.

I'm ashamed to admit I've not tried a single Penhaligons frag yet. Come January or so when I put in a huge sample order, that will be remedied!
    I think you'll find a few you enjoy in the Penhaligon's line, they seem to have a sort of aesthetic that matches you're preferences. They tend to smell quite natural, and are generally understated. Here's my review of Endymion from another thread:

Last night, I re-sampled after what feels like forever, but realistically was about a year, Penhaligons Endymion. I went through a Penhaligons phase a little over a year ago, I love the bottles, love the aesthetics, and so desperately wanted to own one. Castile was close, but ultimately decided I wouldn't wear it enough to warrant a purchase, next was Endymion. Endymion is truly a fascinating fragrance, the notes are familiar, it's a beautiful coffee oriental, that's really amazingly blended, because the only note that I can confidently pull out is coffee, and even that is a very light touch. It's closest relative I would say would be Bond New Haarlem, perhaps Rochas Man, BUT, here is where Endymion is unique. It is an EDC, but not just in concentration, this has been done with such a deft, light hand, it's truly fascinating to smell an oriental-gourmand that wispers but doesn't yell. It's an incredibly unique experience to wear it, because the smell is associated with thick, syrupy monsters, but comes off as a light wearing scent. If this was released to the mainstream market, it would be a massive hit undoubtably. I picture it being perfect for a younger guy, maybe mid-20s, impeccably well groomed, intelligent, and confident, he doesn't need to impress anyone, but he generally does. Back then I wasn't prepared to accept a scent that my mind wanted to last longer but in actuality was perfect the way it is. Big upgrade to a 4.25, you guys gotta try this stuff.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    The original Play is surprisingly not bad.
    There are plenty of redeeming notes in both, but i also prefer the lighter, greener Play, to the vanillic, sueded base Intense, although they are both a notch above regular designer 09 scents.

I've noticed that like Chanel, and Cartier, Givenchy is another house that always seems just to be above the level of your average designer house in terms of taste and quality wise. And while the bottle may get detractors on tastefulness, I like the bottles.

I like both, and hope they do well.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 26th November 2009 at 04:02 AM.