Code of Conduct

Question question about Ja´pur Homme

Is Ja´pur Homme a true gourmand?

I tried Givenchy Pi recently but I'm not ecstatic about it due to a lipstick note or accord that I can strongly detect within the first hour or so. Jaipur came recommended to me as an alternative to Pi. Is Jaipur a straight-up gourmand like A*Men, Rochas Man (I wear this one), etc? I'm thinking about buying it blind (can't find a vial or decant online), but I don't really know what it smells like.

Default Re: question about Ja´pur Homme

Ja´pur Homme is NOT a gourmand.

It is readily availabe in most major U.S. department stores, it should be fairly easy to sample.

It is classified as a crisp Woody Oriental with the following structure:

Top notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Cardamom, Lime
    Middle notes: Carnation, Cinnamom, Rose, Jasmine
    Base notes: Cedar, Patchouli, Tonka, Benzoin
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 29th September 2008 at 04:40 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Hi, I've tried the EDP of Jaipur and I would not classify it as a gourmand. It is more of a powdery oriental, but the "powder" is almost more like a paste. The top notes may be a bit strong, so this is one that you have to give some time to, allowing it to settle down.

Very floral Oriental, imo. You've got to love heliotrope or you're not going to get along very well with Jaipur.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Agreed, heliotrope oriental rather than gourmande.

The original Boucheron is much better! (if you are above 50)..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    The original Boucheron is much better! (if you are above 50)..
    To each their own.

I am over fifty. I own both Jaipur Pour Homme and Boucheron Pour Homme.

They are both excellent but I prefer Jaipur.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Just a note for when you sample, the EdP version is more powdery and vanilla-rich. The EdT is more crisp with more citrus evident. Both are available in most department stores for sampling. Be warned that the price difference between the in-store cost and online retailer cost is pretty big. The 50ml EdP is over $50, but online you can find it under $35, and I picked up a bottle on ebay for $18.

(I prefer the EdP, btw)
    Last edited by bbBD; 30th September 2008 at 12:54 AM. Reason: add'l info

Jaipur is a lovely and rich synthetic oriental that's very similar to Hypnotic Poison. I have the EdP version which is a sillage monster and has enormous lasting power. Amazing deals can be found on the internet.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 30th September 2008 at 01:04 AM.

Question Re: question about Ja´pur Homme

Does it smell anything like Givenchy Pi? How about Burberry Brit? Some of the descriptions you guys are giving me immediately make me think of Brit.

At any rate, I'm going to try to get a hold of samples of both the EDT and EDP versions. I don't think I've ever smelled heliotrope before, so I don't have a reference as to what this might smell like.

Thumbs up Re: question about Ja´pur Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Jaipur is a lovely and rich synthetic oriental that's very similar to Hypnotic Poison.
    Ditto: its a lovely, rich synthetic oriental. For me the best description is a creamy powdery scent with some spices.

I think you can categorize it in the same family as Brit and Pi, but its doesn't smell like them. I think its quiet unique. For me, Heliotrope in Jaipour's base is similar to that soft tobacco-Guaiac combination in base of Armani Code.
    " Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain."

Saadi (13th Century Persian Poet)