Code of Conduct

Default Perfume-related baby names.

I just happened upon a website (www.familyberry.com) that has a list of suggestions
    for perfume-related baby names! I thought it would be fun to ask:
    If you were starting a family now, what names would you pick for a boy and a girl
    that reflected your love of perfume?
    Mine might be ANTAEUS for a boy and ROMA for a girl.
    Be as creative as you like..

Default Re: Perfume-related baby names.

(Creed) Imperial, for a boy, and (Creed) Vanisia for a girl. I would name the dog Erolfa.
    Last edited by Maz24; 29th September 2008 at 08:15 AM.

Jicky for a girl, if people can name their daughter Apple then Jicky isn´t all that strange.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

My son will be the mighty Koublai Khan.

Just kidding

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Ha, the internets never cease to amaze me.
    Iskander for a boy, Noa or Delrae for a girl. Calyx has a nice ring to it, too.

java, a corworkers last name is actually Khan
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Not my very favourite fume, but Stella is a nice name for a girl (Fracas would be a bit over the top..)
    A boy I would name Jack, after Jacques Guerlain.

This is a great idea for a thread! I have my answers ready to go as I often think of names for the children I never had - it used to be Imogen and Charlotte for a girl (pre-perfume mania) and Oliver and Richard for a boy.

Now I am thinking of Iris and Jasmin for a girl. Just for badness, I might call my boys Civet and Styrax as they would inevitably be such little horrors.

Or I could call the girl Rose and the boy Otto...!

Sycophant that I am, I am also quite tempted by Luca.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I actually just like traditional names like Robert and Katherine. Courtney Cox Arquette named her baby Coco. A friend of ours chose Chryssanthe (sp?) as her baby girl's middle name, which I thought was rather pretty. I might choose Joy because I love the perfume and the meaning of the word. Jasmine is a nice name. I saw on your link, Kewart, that Myron or Miron is Greek for Myrrh. I never knew that.

p.s. I wanted to name my dog Coco, but my husband's friend Frank said it sounded like a stripper's name.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 29th September 2008 at 02:16 PM.

I think I would opt out of perfume related names, and try to name my child something that teachers could pronounce and wouldn't get them beat up at recess.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

What a fun topic. And your responses have me giggling (Civet and Styrax ).

Any other geeks here watch the TV series "Mutant X"? One character was named Shalimar.

If one's a fan of Bel Ami, Bel Respiro, Belle de Nuit, then the old-fashion name Belle would be a lovely choice with lots of possibilities for the middle name: Belle Violet, Belle Rose, Belle Angelica, etc. Of course, the fact we live in a schoolhouse would inevitably lead to some "school bell" gibes if we'd named our daughter that.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I do like the name Luca (I know, you're rolling your eyes. But seriously, I like the name!).

I also think Kai is pretty.

Fun thread!

Ooh, I like Belle Rose, Kai, Stella, and even Shalimar.

I'll add Ume for a girl. Harder to think of one for a man - maybe Bergamot or Santal.

Dior from the frangrance and the fashion line. It would be a nice name for a girl.

There's always Lou Lou, (or LuLu, each are fragrance names).
    Anais
    Angelique, and of course Angel
    Cassie
    Paloma
    Nahema
    Then you could just number them: 5, 19, 22, 18, 31... (George from Seinfeld wanted to name his kid 7, so why not name a kid after a great perfume?)

Would you name a kid Aramis? Maybe Devin. You might want to veer away from Brut.

Fun thread.

Last edited by lushsoup; 29th September 2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: more...

I think Iris is a pretty name, but I always think of "Iris," the prostitute, from the film "Taxi Driver," starring Robert DeNiro, so that name is spoiled.

Opium Edp for a boy? People will think his parents are drug fiends, hence the name opium.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 29th September 2008 at 07:03 PM.

Vanilla sounds pretty nice in Norwegian...

If it was a boy and a girl, they could be named Sam and Sara.

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post

LOVE IT!

My cousin and his wife named their daughter Chanel

I like the ring of No. 5 EDT.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by ChantillyLace View Post
    My cousin and his wife named their daughter Chanel
    I sort of like it too!

Genius!

Many of the names here would be perfectly "normal" - I'm generally not that impressed with the whole "hey, we named our kid Moon Unit"-idea, but flower names are not at all odd for girls and names like Kai are actually used already (well, at least in Finland).

Well, definitely not Samsara, because that sounds too much like the name of the little girl in the horror flick, "The Ring." But maybe Infini for a girl, and Kouros for a boy. Truth be told I would not be bold enough to do that. But maybe I would give a pet a scent-inspired name.

Vanilla sounds pretty nice in Norwegian...

Ooops. I just saw your post. When I posted my reply I did not mean to imply that Samsara is a bad name, just that it sounds like that name of the girl in the well in "The Ring." (Samara??)

how about Jicky and Fitch?
    or Geneveive and Hugo?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

For a boy: Kingdom or Egoiste

For a girl: Fracas or Bandit

Good thing I'm not having kids, or I'd have to start saving for their therapy fund right about now.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post

Good thing I'm not having kids, or I'd have to start saving for their therapy fund right about now.
    would Egoiste and Bandit be available for a playdate with my Jicky and Fitch?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Great ideas folks!
    Love the playdate idea.

Blog Entries

How about "Bois"? If you say it good and Southern like you're from Nawlins, Boy becomes Bo-ay becomes Bowah, which is almost Bwah.

"Hey, Bois! Git yo butt at the dinnah tay-buh, fo' yo mama gives y'all a whoopin'!"

PS:

Twins? Luca and Tania. Mitsuko and Hinoki. Garage and Sillage?

Bois and Belle would be a great pair of twins. Definintely has a twang of N'Orleans about it. Oh! Shouldn't we have run this thread before Angelina Jolie had her twins! Those would be perfect!

And Lilybelle, tell Frank he's been spending his bucks in the wrong bars - Coco isn't a stripper's name, it's a clown's name. Maybe he should spring for a new pair of spectacles too...

My own little chick is called Grace and does love to have a squirt of Philosophy's scent with her name on it. (But the choice was unrelated, it's a family name.) And my father, who was a teacher, often told the story of why a girl he taught was named Vanilla - it was her mother's favourite flavour. I've got to say, I'm tempted. (Though I already promised my late Mother-in-law that if I have another girl child it will be named for her. Ava Vanilla does have a ring to it, but I think its the ring of the icecream van.)

How about Jules as a boy's name? though it's now equally appropriate for a girl, too, as a version of Julie.

Getting wilder and woolier with them, what about Drakkar, Borneo or Tim Buktu (sorry!) for a boy and Datura or Demeter for a girl? And Jicky would be cool.

One name perhaps not best to saddle a little one with would be Cuir. They'd get so badly teased in the playground, regardless of their sexual orientation, because let's face it, children are cruel and ruthless. Great name for a cat though. Can't you see yourself standing on your step at midnight and bawling 'Queer! C'm ere Queer! Come on now! I'm not gonna wait all night for you! Queer! You get in here!'
    You never know, you might get lucky and end up with more cute little pets coming in than you let out...
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

LOL!! - and me in the case of my evil boy twins!

"Cuir" is hilarious! There's nowt as cuir as perfumista parents!

My nicknames at school were Vanilla Mutton and Verucca Mushroom. I would just like to point out that VM stands for neither of these.

Verucca Mushroom!

For a girl: Cristalle, Dana (as in Tabu), Paris, Lolita, Rumeur, Hab-anita.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    would Egoiste and Bandit be available for a playdate with my Jicky and Fitch?
    Sure, but they're naughty (especially Bandit), and I can't be held responsible for the outcome.

BTW, baby Skank is on the way. Wish me congratulations!

BTW BTW, in all seriousness, Wordbird, Grace is a lovely name.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 30th September 2008 at 07:55 PM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Dammit - never mind babies - I'm seriously thinking of renaming my cat "Civet".

Hmm... but then again that might be disorientating for him at his time of life, for the poor thing is 13, arthritic, and already named after an avant-garde - though not, as far as we know, malodorous - Spanish painter.

Blog Entries

my secretions magnifique will create a son named CUIRON.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Dammit - never mind babies - I'm seriously thinking of renaming my cat "Civet".

Hmm... but then again that might be disorientating for him at his time of life, for the poor thing is 13, arthritic, and already named after an avant-garde - though not, as far as we know, malodorous - Spanish painter.

I named my cat after Salvadore Dali. (Yes, Surrealism may not = avant garde, but Dali was Spanish)

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    I named my cat after Salvadore Dali. (Yes, Surrealism may not = avant garde, but Dali was Spanish)
    Well, well - mine is Miró, though I am not too precious where the stress goes! It has taken years of training to get the vet to call him Miro as in Robert de Niro, rather than Spiro Giro!

How have we got onto cat's names????

Blog Entries

BTW, baby Skank is on the way. Wish me congratulations!
    LMAO!!! No doubt this kid will grow up to be Eddie Haskell! He'll probably be into leather, tobacco, and chyp - er something like that. There's still time to change your mind!

Amber, Lily, Calypso and Chloe for a girl and
    Cristóbal, Sage, Kilian and Maori for a boy

Though I must admit that Kewart's Antaeus for a boy is still my fave!

I just remembered - as I am wearing it today
    Saffron for a girl and Safran for a boy
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; 2nd October 2008 at 02:14 PM.
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    How have we got onto cat's names????
    Sorry, but for many childless women, cats are surrogate offspring. And "civet" and "cat" couldn't be more closely related. Though animals are technically off topic, I accept.