Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: My new obsession - sample purchasing

Yes, they are cute. Enjoy!

Blog Entries

I have several of the TDC bottles, too. They are nice to put in a drawer where you can get at them & use them bcs they stand up. About Malle, they are so $$$ at least you zeroed in on the best vetiver. It took me a while to find it. That's really what samples are for, to save you $$$. Try not to get side-tracked!

I just thought I would chime in my experience with www.theperfumeshoppe.com

If you live in Canada, this site has pretty good service and ships relatively fast too. I ordered 5 samples of Serge Lutens for 15$ (shipping included!) last week and they arrived pretty fast (took about a week and a bit). This would have cost AT LEAST 30$ on www.theperfumedcourt.com

My only peeve was that it takes a few days for your credit card to be approved, but the second it was approved I got my samples pretty fast and I live all the way across Canada, about 7 provinces away.

They didn't have much chergui left, so they gave me half a sample and an extra official carded sample of Gris Clair. The labels on the decanted samples are a little ghetto compared to TPC, but they're definitely authentic and generous. I recommend this for Canadians, but I think they ship to the U.S. too.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I just thought I would chime in my experience with www.theperfumeshoppe.com

If you live in Canada, this site has pretty good service and ships relatively fast too. I ordered 5 samples of Serge Lutens for 15$ (shipping included!) last week and they arrived pretty fast (took about a week and a bit). This would have cost AT LEAST 30$ on www.theperfumedcourt.com

My only peeve was that it takes a few days for your credit card to be approved, but the second it was approved I got my samples pretty fast and I live all the way across Canada, about 7 provinces away.

They didn't have much chergui left, so they gave me half a sample and an extra official carded sample of Gris Clair. The labels on the decanted samples are a little ghetto compared to TPC, but they're definitely authentic and generous. I recommend this for Canadians, but I think they ship to the U.S. too.
    I ordered samples from The Perfume Shoppe. It stayed in the "pending" mode for 8 days. I placed order on 3/16/09 and still no samples as of3/28. I had another experience two years ago where the product said "in stock" on the website only to find out two weeks after purchasing on-line they were in fact out of stock. Didn't receive that product for two months.I won't be shopping at The Perfume Shoppe again. The owner has an attitude and doesn't seem to care.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Didn't receive that product for two months.I won't be shopping at The Perfume Shoppe again. The owner has an attitude and doesn't seem to care.
    Good to know. I probably won't be buying a bottle from them then. If I do, I'll post about it.

Blog Entries

I also had a bad experience there. I ordered a bottle that was mis-labled. When I tried to return it she did not return my e-mails.

I'm doing pretty well with not buying any more samples. The last purchase was on 3/16 according to my credit card statement :-). I've even been able to give a few of the samples I really liked a second try.

I feel that maybe I've tried to cram too much into such a short period of time, and need to take it slower. Sampling is a lot of fun, and I should try to keep it that way! So I'm focusing on the samples that I have on hand -- I still have 25 that I've not even sniffed (about 5 including a decant of Le Labo Iris are missing -- I recall opening the package, but what happened next is a mystery). I also decided to keep my sample list (Test List in the wardrobe) under 200, and my sample wish list at 50 or less. So I cannot get any more samples until I use up some, or trade them away.

My full bottles are getting no love, however. I maybe wore scents from them only half a dozen times since my sampling mania began 6 weeks ago. I've mostly used them to make samples for others. Isn't this what full bottles are for? J

Reading some of the posts here has helped me to appreciate the scents that I have, and not want more and more... So it's been helpful, thanks!

I think you are better off ordering the Malles from somewhere else. I have recently ordered quite a lot of samples from France (Divine) and Switzerland (les Nez & Andy Tauer) and they were much cheaper and efficient, so I don't think the cost is a country-thing, more just FM! I know one can order FM from Les Senteurs in London (online) for 2.50 a sample, which is good value for money, but I'm not sure of their international shipping policy.

Does anyone else know other companies that sell samples like TDC? My TPC and Luckscent sample addiction is killing me. I like getting more than 1 ml as well.

Talking Re: My new obsession - sample purchasing

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    I must admit, I think I am in the formative stages of a full on sampling addiction! To be fair, I am really trying to explore new fragrances and houses, and I think sampling is a much better way of doing that than buying a bunch of bottles. I also live in the middle of nowhere (relative to larger cities with lots of niche boutiques) so sampling them in person isn't possible.

So far I have ordered samples from Czech & Speake, L'Artisan, G. F. Trumper, Penhaligon's, and The Different Company. I think I'm going to have to order the Jalaine sampler set as well. I can't wait!

I'm kind of focused on getting samples directly from the source right now before I open myself up to TPC and other sites like that. Partly because I know I'd spend way too much money on TPC, and partly because I really enjoy having the original samples with custom vials and all that. I think it's my OCD acting up. For anyone who has purchased the samples from L'Artisan, Malle, The Different Company, or others: do they use custom vials/printed cards or just plain vials that they have labeled? I'm just curious.
    I am in the same boat, buddy-middle of nowhere with no way to sample anything. I just ordered samples from l'artisan and yes they have carded, professionally printed vials. Why is it, that they'll only let you order five? I had to place two different orders to get all the ones I was wondering about. As stated before by someone else, Czech & Speake has the nicest presentation, with a handwritten note that says "with compliments" and tissue wrapping. Awesome! I just ordered $82 worth of samples from The Perfumed Court. The good thing about that is that you get a huge variety of brands all in one shipment. You guys are talking in code here, typing letters in place of full names of the places you buy your samples. Can someone please translate into plain english? Thank you! Maybe I'll learn some new places (other than TPC or TPP) to order from.

Quote Originally Posted by TaraYvonne View Post
    You guys are talking in code here, typing letters in place of full names of the places you buy your samples. Can someone please translate into plain english? Thank you! Maybe I'll learn some new places (other than TPC or TPP) to order from.
    I have mostly ordered from TPC, Aedes and Luckyscent. (Don't forget discount code MUA to get free shipping from Luckyscent.)

What other abbreviations have you seen used? I'd be glad to help -- just list them.

Thumbs up Re: My new obsession - sample purchasing

Quote Originally Posted by TaraYvonne View Post
    I am in the same boat, buddy-middle of nowhere with no way to sample anything. I just ordered samples from l'artisan and yes they have carded, professionally printed vials. Why is it, that they'll only let you order five? I had to place two different orders to get all the ones I was wondering about. As stated before by someone else, Czech & Speake has the nicest presentation, with a handwritten note that says "with compliments" and tissue wrapping. Awesome! I just ordered $82 worth of samples from The Perfumed Court. The good thing about that is that you get a huge variety of brands all in one shipment. You guys are talking in code here, typing letters in place of full names of the places you buy your samples. Can someone please translate into plain english? Thank you! Maybe I'll learn some new places (other than TPC or TPP) to order from.
    I agree about Czech & Speake. Their sample packages are so generous and nice to look at. I'm hoping I find one that I love so I can move it to the top of my list of full bottles to buy. I've only tried one so far (Mimosa).

I still haven't let myself order from The Perfumed Court. I'm finding plenty of the houses to be generous enough with samples to keep me busy for the moment. The only non-manufacturer's samples I've gotten so far have been the Le Labo sampler from LuckyScent which is great because official samples from Le Labo are way too expensive.

I think the L'Artisan 5 samples for $7 dollars is one of the best sample programs of the niche houses, but I'm having to do it multiple times as well. They have so many I want to try.

My favorite recent sample acquisition would have to be from Andy Tauer in Switzerland. He seems like a great guy, and I've liked all the fragrances I've tried so far. His samples are very affordable and cheaper than buying from TPC even with shipping to the US from Switzerland. Recommended!

I've achieved a personal 'milestone' of sorts -- 300 fragrances tried! Considering that 4/5 of that was from the last 6 weeks, that's quite an accomplishments. And I only have a dozen or so samples that I've not sniffed, so getting to the bottom of the pile there. (Although it makes me sort of anxious, thinking "what's next"? ...The madness never ends).

All in all, I've done pretty good well not spending more money on samples since the last purchase on 3/16. I've traded samples with other basenoters, and also traded an barely used bottle of Dior Homme for more samples (which I partially regret now). I've also been sampling more in stores - with a quick dash to Macy's or Nordstrom's after work. The highlight was Barney's in Las Vegas -- it was like being a kid in a candy store, with so many niche scents that I've only been reading about.

Numbers-wise, I've kept my sample list ('test list' in the wardrobe feature) at 200, so that's pretty good. Although my sample wish list is ever growing, as I read more reviews and The Guide, now approaching 80. Oh well... I'll get to procuring them when I can.

How's everyone doing with their sampling addiction?

Blog Entries

I've had the most success with L'Artisan samples, if success means finding scents I want full bottles of. I bought Jour de Fte, Mimosa Pour Moi, Premier Figuier and am awaiting the arrival of Fleur d'Oranger 2007. My husband bought Fou d'Absinthe. I've tried all the currently available L'Artisan frags now.

I didn't find that I wanted FB of any of the Rosines, Czech & Speake, or Bond No. 9 samples I received. And none of the ones I've ordered so far from Aedes (Tauer, SL, SMN) although there are still more samples I plan to order at some point. Alternatively we may visit Aedes the next time we take our daughter to a museum in NYC-- this summer, probably.

Sampling certainly beats blind buying, but buying samples adds up fast too! And since I've bought so many new fragrances in the past half year, I think I'll put a hold on buying more samples-- for a while, anyway.

I need to work on my sampling addiction. I'm not letting myself buy any more as I have hundreds of unsniffed samples. I don't know what keeps me from trying more.

Part of it is wanting to spend some time enjoying my bottles and decants instead of spending my time exclusively on 'new'. Beyond that, I'm less certain. I don't like to blind-sniff much as I won't be able to associate the name with the scent. If I take time to read the notes and think about what I can recognise in a scent I am more likely to remember.

That said, a hundred samples vs. one unsniffed bottle... sampling is cheaper even if I don't sniff them all!

Ok, that's it, I'm off to try two samples.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are TPC decants?

TPC stands for The Perfumed Court. They sell samples and decants of all kinds of fragrances. The price per mL is expensive, but you can try things for much less than buying a bottle and disliking it or hardly using any of it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    Update:
    I caved in and bought the Jalaine sampler. Looking forward to that. Also, TDC sampler arrived today. They basically shipped it overnight from France which makes the shipping price somewhat more reasonable, I guess. I'm happy with the purchase. The only negative is that there's no easy way to store all the samples since the box they came in just had all the mini bottles stuffed inside with the tissue paper wrapped around them. I need to come up with a good sample organizing method like some of you have! And, since I think they're so cute, here are some pictures:

wow thats beautiful!
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    wow thats beautiful!
    I have to admit, I am quite fond of them.
    Since I've had them for a while now, though, what I really enjoy is that they all smell great! I've tried all but 2 of them so far, and I really enjoy them. I guess I'm an Ellena fan. I will have to buy Sel de Vetiver at some point, there's no way around that. I'm just trying to justify the price of the 250ml bottle with the beautiful leather case!

I've been trying to order the sample pack from l'Artisan, but I don't know how? Is there some info I missed on their website or do you just write to them and ask for it?

Another house that offers samples for a small amount if money is Histoires de parfums, 12 samples for 10 euros including worldwide shipping!
    http://www.histoiresdeparfums.com/1-...HANTILLONS.php

Blog Entries

On the L'Artisan website, click on the perfume bottle icon which is on the first page. On the next page in the lower left corner there is a link that says "order samples". At least on the U.S. website there is.

Edit:

Okay, I checked the website for Europe and selected Sweden, and you are right, there is no place to order samples. But there is contact information....
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 15th April 2009 at 12:20 PM.

Thank you, 30 roses! With your help I outsmarted the system and ordered to Sweden through the US shop! I'll post here again if it DIDN'T work.

For other europeans; the only problem I had was that I had to write something in the "state" line, I just wrote two random letters and it passed. I hope.l tod

EDIT: It didn't work - I recieved an e-mail today saying that they have refunded the money I paid, no explanation. Sigh...Well, I guess I can always order L'artisan samples from somewhere else. Or, focus on the samples that I already have. Not!
    Last edited by AnnaSa; 6th May 2009 at 08:00 PM.

I've reached a milestone of sorts -- 350 fragrances sampled, fromm 300 a few weeks ago. And that was without additional sample purchasing -- mostly through sampling in stores, through trades, and getting some samples with a partial bottle I bought on eBay (okay, the samples did sway me in placing the bid, but there were a few among them that I really wanted to try - Indult, Ellie D, Guerlain, - and I was not disappointed).

Blog Entries

jwpianoboe, Those TDC bottles are so nice to stand upright like that. I was thinking, you might find a little tray like they have for organizing drawers to put them in. Then you could put the initials of their names on stickers on the lids so you can see them from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    jwpianoboe, Those TDC bottles are so nice to stand upright like that. I was thinking, you might find a little tray like they have for organizing drawers to put them in. Then you could put the initials of their names on stickers on the lids so you can see them from the top.
    Here's what I ended up doing. I've seen some beautiful arrangements here, but mine falls into the category of "functional" without looking wonderful. Anyone who has a Dell printer has probably seen these little 4-quadrant boxes that they mail their ink cartridges in. It turned out that one of the sections was the exact size for the TDC bottles. I even put in a secondary divider so that the bottles in the back are the fresh, unused samples with the in-use samples towards the front. There's enough extra space that I can kinda tilt the bottles back to read the names, but I like the idea of getting some little stickers for the top.

They're really pretty sturdy boxes with nice lids to keep out the light. I think I'm going to have to start keeping them whenever I order ink! (Until I come up with some beautiful and luxurious storage system for all my bottles and samples, that is!)

Banned

What a funny thread! I'm beyond a 'sampling addict' - I'm basically bored if I don't have new samples or decants to try. I have experience with all of the sites mentioned on the thread, and they all have their pluses and minuses.

Lately I've been ordering most of my samples from ausliebezumduft.de (I think I spelled that right). It's a German retailer very similar to Luckyscent. Their samples cost anywhere from $3-7 per sample (and much more for really expensive fragrances), but they send 2.5ml sprayers, not 1ml vials. Compared to Luckyscent one pays a buck or two more, but you get nearly triple the amount of sample. This is good because you can really get a full wear out a fragrance (and have some left over for skin-testing), which I rarely can from a sample vial. If you order samples-only to the US it's 5EUR (currently $6.40) to ship, and it usually takes 7-10 days to get the order.

Overall slightly pricier and slightly less efficient than Luckyscent or Aedes, but to me having the larger size sample makes it worth it.

It's nice to see who the other sample-fans are. I have no idea how many samples/decants I have, but I believe it's well over 1000 because I last counted 6 months ago and was around 700, and I get at least a few samples a week.

For me sampling is just about the passion of trying new things. These days I go house by house and also I look for vintages to sample, but those are so pricey it's difficult to justify.

Nice to meet everyone! I don't have a list of samples or anything like that, but if anyone wants to swap just send me a PM and we can work something out.

I was going to welcome aezikely to our 'club' but they are banned already??

oh well...

I'm still doing well on *not* buying more samples, although I was getting anxious when my supply of untried samples was running low. I replenished it with a trade. I find trading to be more fun and 'social,' although ordering samples online is easier and leads to immediate gratification. But I have so many samples already that I can wait to try more.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    I was going to welcome aezikely to our 'club' but they are banned already??

oh well...

I'm still doing well on *not* buying more samples, although I was getting anxious when my supply of untried samples was running low. I replenished it with a trade. I find trading to be more fun and 'social,' although ordering samples online is easier and leads to immediate gratification. But I have so many samples already that I can wait to try more.
    Yeah, I noticed that too about the banning. Who knows?

I think I've kind of hit a bit of a plateau for acquiring new samples, so I've just been mainly enjoying the ones I have lately. From the samples, I'm trying to put together a wishlist of things that I'd like to buy at some point. I haven't made too much progress with that though.

By the way, has anyone ordered anything online from L'Artisan lately? I have been trying and trying to order some more samples from their website, but I always get some kind of XML error at the end when I'm submitting the order. It has been going on for around two weeks I think? I emailed their customer service, but I haven't heard anything back.

Blog Entries

About L'Artisan-- I ordered Fleur d'Oranger from Beautycafe.com at the end of March and L'Artisan finally shippd it to them (to ship to me) only this week. It's finally in the mail now. The delay was definitely on L'Artisan's end.

I caved in and ordered Aroma M samples. I had looked at the line before and was intrigued but did not spring for the samples at $20 + $6.5 shipping. Check out my thread on the May special -- same sample pack of 11 samples (8 oil + 3 EdP) is now $10 with free shipping. So a great deal! I'll look forward to the samples.

Oh, and I also won a sample of their new Pink EdP, although I wish it was Noire EdP (that was the one that had originally interested me, but somehow it's not included in the sample pack (?)

Anyways, it sometimes pays to be on the company's mailing lists. :-)

Last edited by kess; 12th May 2009 at 05:14 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast