Code of Conduct

Default Help: Bringing Kublai Khan to America

I just wanted to tell you guys that I am in the middle of the process of bringing a bottle of Muscs Koublai Khan (By Serge Lutens) to the US. I am using the services of a Mail Forwarding company in Luxembourg. I bought the perfume at the Serge Lutens Store in France, sent it to Luxembourg, and then it will be sent to me , here in Boston. I should pay around $55 for shipping and service costs, plus the cost of the bottle itself. So, this is a way of buying MKK directly from the manufacturer. As soon as I get it, I'll tell the total cost and conditions. I can't wait to try this powerful musk. I recently bought a little bottle of Kiehls Musc, and loved it.

Lucius
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 1st October 2008 at 08:38 PM.

Default Re: Bringing Kublai Khan to America

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I just wanted to tell you guys that I am in the middle of the process of bringing a bottle of Muscs Koublai Khan (By Serge Lutens) to the US. I am using the services of a Mail Forwarding company in Luxembourg. I bought the perfume at the Serge Lutens Store in France, sent it to Luxembourg, and then it will be sent to me , here in Boston. I should pay around $55 for shipping and service costs, plus the cost of the bottle itself. So, this is a way of buying MKK directly from the manufacturer. As soon as I get it, I'll tell the total cost and conditions. I can't wait to try this powerful musk. I recently bought a little bottle of Kiehls Musc, and loved it.

Lucius
    Awesome ill be expecting my sample from you soon....right?

Please do let us know how it goes. I'd be interested doing to same thing.

Enjoy the MKK!

Blog Entries

i still have yet to try MKK. been wanting to for a long time.

i'm skeptical, because i have YET to really love any Lutens scents....most of them don't do much for me. I think Ambre Sultan is a unique, but difficult to wear fragrance....and Bois Blond is pretty nice....but the rest of em...meh!

You're brave for buying this blind (from what it sounds like your post)...i don't think i'd ever buy a Lutens scent blind...let us know how it goes.

I tested the Lutens wax sample of MKK and it didn't do anything for me.

I recently bought a little bottle of Kiehls Musc, and loved it.
    If you love Kiehl's Musk Oil (not the EdT), I think you'll also love Muscs Kublai Khan.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

If you don't like the idea of expending huge sums of money and time on endeavors like this without knowing what the fragrance smells like, ThePerfumedCourt.com sells samples and decants of MKK in various sizes. Try before you buy big.

Lucius, if you like Kiel's, I believe this is a safe buy for you.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

That's a smart solution for the non-export quandry. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Another solution suggested to me by a BNer was to use a French 'personal shopper'. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm on the verge of trying out such a service for a bell jar of Borneo 1834 and/or Iris Silver Mist. I've only scratched the surface of the SL line with about 7-8 samples and these are my faves thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i still have yet to try MKK. been wanting to for a long time.

i'm skeptical, because i have YET to really love any Lutens scents....most of them don't do much for me. I think Ambre Sultan is a unique, but difficult to wear fragrance....and Bois Blond is pretty nice....but the rest of em...meh!

You're brave for buying this blind (from what it sounds like your post)...i don't think i'd ever buy a Lutens scent blind...let us know how it goes.
    It's the only Lutens scent I like. It's a very good recreation of a true-to-nature animalic accord.

Guys, I tried the wax sample of MKK, but never the perfume itself. I loved the wax sample and also Kiehl's musk oil. So I do believe this is a safe buy/bet. I'll keep you informed about how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I tested the Lutens wax sample of MKK and it didn't do anything for me.
    The wax sample doesn't do the perfume justice.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    It's the only Lutens scent I like. It's a very good recreation of a true-to-nature animalic accord.
    That's a very diplomatic way of putting it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    If you don't like the idea of expending huge sums of money and time on endeavors like this without knowing what the fragrance smells like, ThePerfumedCourt.com sells samples and decants of MKK in various sizes. Try before you buy big.
    I totally agree.

I sampled MKK last year and was left feeling cold. Sure glad I sampled it first. But I feel the same way about many musks (Kiehl's, Musc Ravageur, etc)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th September 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I totally agree.

I sampled MKK last year and was left feeling cold. Sure glad I sampled it first. But I feel the same way about many musks (Kiehl's, Musc Ravageur, etc)
    I bought a fairly large decant (by TPC standards), 8 mL, and loved it. But MKK being what it is, I'm not sure I'll ever spring for an entire bottle. My little decant should suffice for quite a few "guilty pleasure" weekend wearings.

Good luck with your purchase, Lucius! And please tell us what you think of it when it arrives.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

It's brilliantly raunchy stuff, but I agree with Snafoo, my healthy decant will last me a long long time.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: Help: Bringing Kublai Khan to America

Dear friends, I have just received my Kublai Khan bottle. I absolutely love the perfume. It is purer, more animalic than Kiehls oil. But there is one problem: the bottle came in a sealed package, but it is quite empty. I don't know if this is normal or not. Please take a look at the photo. Isn't the level of perfume too low? I am sure that the perfume did not leak, because the box was not smelling of musk. Can it be a manufacturing problem? Or is it the normal level for the bell-shaped lutens bottle?

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2752/img69351od3.jpg

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 1st October 2008 at 08:46 PM.

LV, I recall that there was a thread about this a while ago on BN.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ll+bottle+full

I think it looks fine. Enjoy your MKK!

That's the level it should be. Enjoy it!

Thanks so much, I am relieved.

Dear friends, I have just received my Kublai Khan bottle. I absolutely love the perfume. It is purer, more animalic than Kiehls oil. But there is one problem: the bottle came in a sealed package, but it is quite empty. I don't know if this is normal or not. Please take a look at the photo. Isn't the level of perfume too low? I am sure that the perfume did not leak, because the box was not smelling of musk. Can it be a manufacturing problem? Or is it the normal level for the bell-shaped lutens bottle?

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2752/img69351od3.jpg

I'm literally salivating over that picture. Congratulations Lucius.
    Do not be alarmed. That is the normal content level for bell jars. Mine was filled exactly the same. It could be the lighting in the pic, but your juice looks darker than mine. Mine is the color or pale champagne.
    I envy you. I'm running dangerously low..
    Next time, I think you should use the "personal shopper" method mention earlier. (I did).
    $55 plus service fees in addition to cost is way too expensive.

Congratulations on your new arrival, LV. And yes, I'm insanely jealous.