Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Guerlain Elixirs Charnels

I was at Neimans today, and at the Guerlain counter, where I was shown three new scents in the Elixirs Charnels (Carnal Elixirs) series:

Chypre Fatal:
    white peach, rose, patchouli and vanilla;

Oriental Brūlant
    : clementine, almond, tonka bean and vanilla; and

Gourmand Coquin:
    black pepper, rose, rum and chocolate.

I am sure the lists of notes are incomplete, just the highlights. The one I liked best was the Chypre Fatal, but I thought the other two were good as well. Guerlain is marketing these toward women, but IMO they arre nothing impossible for men to wear.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cęlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

— Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: Guerlain Elixirs Charnels

So which was your favorite?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    ... The one I liked best was the Chypre Fatal, but I thought the other two were good as well. Guerlain is marketing these toward women, but IMO they are nothing impossible for men to wear.
    There it is.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 30th September 2008 at 02:37 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Sur la Plage

I like the sound of all of them, but especially Gourmand Coquin. I can't wait to try them!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Can't wait to try these... I'm most looking forward to Oriental Brūlant, but they all sound interesting.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    Can't wait to try these... I'm most looking forward to Oriental Brūlant, but they all sound interesting.
    I meant to say that the Oriental Brūlant struck me as the most masculine of the three.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 30th September 2008 at 08:49 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    There it is.

The one I liked best was the Chypre Fatal, but I thought the other two were good as well. Guerlain is marketing these toward women, but IMO they arre nothing impossible for men to wear.
    DOH!! I need new glasses!!

Simple question--are these worth the money? I have read the reviews and some say they are not.

I know I am not impressed with the bottles at all.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Simple question--are these worth the money? I have read the reviews and some say they are not.

I know I am not impressed with the bottles at all.
    I think some are - I got the Gourmand Coquin at the shop in Epcot and really enjoy it. The (almost wife) and I both wear it and love it. I recall liking a few of the others, but it's hard to sample there because you can only spray there (I had to really coerce the SA to make a sample of another scent when I bought the crazy priced GC) so it's either spray paper and not get the full effect, or spray your skin and have to walk the 1/2 mile back to the car in Florida humidity (obviously affecting the scent), so I've had a hard time really trying the others.

I may order perfumedcourt samples of the others at some point to really pay them mind.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I noticed that they have a fourth fragrance in the line, named Bosé Torride, which is based around cedar and patchouli. Has anyone tried it?

It's difficult to get much info on these as the original marketing copy was such purple/pink prose that the blog reviewers all had a good laugh and didn't say much about the actual scents.

I sniffed them on paper here and they strike me as of a quality that I can see why they are priced more or less the same as the Arts de Matieres but I really only concentrated on Oriental Brulant because I had the impression from somewhere (?) that it might be similar to Coromandel and wanted to check it out. It isn't (overtly) but was interesting enough and I'll try to have another look now this thread has surfaced. I do remember the Gourmand was nice, but just a quick initial impression in passing, and can't remember the Chypre - too much information in one sitting.

I think these left of field offerings from Guerlain (like the Voages Olfactifs threesome) don't get much attention because of availablity. Will revisit.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 28th May 2010 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    I noticed that they have a fourth fragrance in the line, named Bosé Torride, which is based around cedar and patchouli. Has anyone tried it?
    Have tried it last week, if i remember correctly the opening of the newest one was sweet like cotton-candy, share a similar vibe to Iris Ganache.
    Although it is something that out of my 'comfort-zone', but it was quite lovely actually.

I own Gourmand Coquin and Boise Torride. I wouldn't mind having the other two. As a matter of fact, a good perfume friend just sent me a sample of Chypre Fatale, I wasn't sure what it was, because the label was hard to read, but I loved it, then I foud out what it was. Very lovely and it was not too peachy (I have read some people comment about the peach overload). Gourmand Coquin is chocolatey, I tried it once when I went for breakfast to a new place and I thought the delicious smell was the chocolate and pastries served for breakfast, but after we left the restaurant I realized it was me!!!!
    I bought Boise Torride blind, a perfume friend (I affectionately call her my delaer!!!!) sold me a tester for $100 and I could not pass it up. It starts orangy and has a marshmellow accord but then the patchouli and I think cedar (maybe other woods) come in. I think it is vey unisex. I loved Oriental Brulant the first time I tried it, but I overapplied and almost knocked out all my co-workers.
    Evenstar

Just reading the notes and all the fine commentary you guys are making on these, I'm not interested in them at all. Certainly the second and third look too gourmand-y for me. The first looks like the one I'd like most (same one JaimeB likes best, too clearly), but that still appears to hit with a sweet base with that vanilla, coming off some peach.

Yikes, these don't look at all like my thing.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Of the three I like Chypre Fatal best.

Thank you for the feedback.

I am holding out for other Guerlains and these seem too gourmand-y. For those prices, I can just use Dolce & Gabbana The One for women for a blast of peach and vanilla.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yes, they are all very sweet, although I did not find Chypre Fatale that sweet.
    Evenstar