Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Exclamation All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, October 4, 2008 ★★★ AMBER

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance -or- Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Orientals Feb. 2007~AnimalicsMarch 2007~ChypresApril 2007~ FloralsMay 2007~FruityJune 2007~ CitrusSept. 2007~FougereOct. 2007~ AmberNov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ GourmandJan. 2008~OrientalsFeb. 2008~AnimalicsMarch 2008~ChypresApril 2008~FloralMay 2008~FruityJune 2008~CitrusJuly 2008~GreenAugust 2008~Fresh/AquaticSeptember 2008~Opposite Gender or Fougere

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    Last edited by Quarry; 30th September 2008 at 12:50 AM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, October 4, 2008 ★★★ AMBER

Oooh, oooh, ooh! Excited about this! Too many good things to choose from... Ambre Narguile, Ambre Russe, Ambre Sultan...
    Yay!
    Though with my habit of wearing too much of a good thing and wearing one thing on one wrist and another on the other I pity anyone behind me in the queue at the supermarket on saturday.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, October 4, 2008 ★★★ AMBER

On Saturday I think I'll wear one of my most ambery scents,Madame X.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 30th September 2008 at 11:20 AM.
    Currently wearing: Bois des les by Chanel

I'm really looking forward to this one because amber is something I haven't yet explored in any depth. I'll be interested in what everybody wears. I once thought I didn't like amber - too strong - but it's a presence in a few of my favorite fragrances, so...I don't know. For last month's gender bender SnS I wore my husband's ambery Obession, which I fell in love with and happily realized that I could pull off. But I'll be looking for something different this time.

Oh nice

I might go with Ambre from LOccitane which I love, or Ambre Sultan which I didnt love as much but maybe its time to try it again.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

Ooh! I'm in too!

This time I'll give Marc Jacobs Amber a good go!
    I found this in a store near me a little while ago and think Im loving it.

Top Notes of Crystallised Ginger & Star Anise.
    Heart Notes of Amber, Lys and Cassia Bark.
    Base Notes of Cashmere Wood & Benzoin

Sur la Plage

I am in! Now which one - so many good ones to choose from!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Cool- I'm in... 'an I just got a sample of Ambre Sultan to boot! Yeah,baby...YEAH!!!
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

My very favorite category! Which to wear, which to wear? I love so many ambers, but of course my HG amber is Ambre Russe!

Blog Entries

Oct 4 is my wedding anniversary. I think I'll usher in the cooler weather (it's sooo welcome, at last!) with Tabac Blond I bought at the NYC boutique before they closed it. (2005) A fun trip with DH for his art show.

Blog Entries

What timing! I'm in the depths of my amber exploration. I think I have 40 samples. Trying to find the elusive amber that contains no vanilla (and no incense).

I'm in! Who knows? I may try sampling them all.

Which may mean lots of to remove those that are . Unless, of course, I get lucky with the first one.

But I'll do it for the of Basenotes.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Blog Entries

How do I pick just one?????
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    My very favorite category! Which to wear, which to wear? I love so many ambers, but of course my HG amber is Ambre Russe!
    I'm with her!!!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 1st October 2008 at 01:25 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I just arranged for a sample of Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, which is selling like hotcakes. I suppose it might not get here until Monday. But maybe if we all cross our fingers?!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

I stopped by the Jo Malone store in the mall last night. It's not selling like hotcakes there anymore because they are sold out and not getting any more! All they have left is a candle!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Plus

I'm in!
    Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    How do I pick just one?????
    Word!!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Alien by Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    What timing! I'm in the depths of my amber exploration. I think I have 40 samples. Trying to find the elusive amber that contains no vanilla (and no incense).

I'm in! Who knows? I may try sampling them all.

Which may mean lots of to remove those that are . Unless, of course, I get lucky with the first one.

But I'll do it for the of Basenotes.

Ahh, Hoos, what we do for love! I want to be where you are right now. I've been planning to begin an amber exploration, too, just haven't been able to get around to it! I LOVE amber and there are soooo many to try.
    I'm so excited to read about everyone's wearings. I'll wear the only amber I currently have (and that's a big currently soon to change), it will be Tom Ford Amber Absolute, from a sample.

Blog Entries

Amber - oh yeah! I'm in. I just can't decide which one. I have two straight-up amber scents, and a whole lot of amber drydowns. Hmmm. Maybe I'll wear them all! I mean, over the course of the day - not all at once. Indeed - this could be interesting!

OK, I started a little early, and since I wear Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe for the majority of any given nights, here are the notes:

(from luckyscent): tea, incense, vodka, champagne, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ambergris, vanilla, leather

I must admit, I don't smell champagne. I do get a boozy note, but I can't say it is really vodka, either. It has alot of leather and tea (fermented or cured notes), amber, vanilla, spice and smoke (incensse). I love it, and obviously (since I wear it so often) found it full bottle worthy.

I'll be wearing my favorite amber - Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

Top notes: Oregano, Bay leaf, Coriander, Myrtle,
    Middle notes: Angelica, Patchouli
    Base notes: Labdanum, Styrax, Tolu balsam, Benzoin, Sandalwood
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

I'm in.

This is an easy category for many of us, it seems.

I think I'll mix it up with some favorites (Ambre Sultan) and new ones I haven't tried (Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone, Ambre Precieux by MPG)
    Currently wearing: Epice Marine by Herms

Yes, I plan to try some "uncharted amber territory" tomorrow

I've got three vials and a bottle lined up on the counter. Going to take a page from VM I Hate Civet's book and try them on all at once!

I'm going with Youth Dew Amber Nude on one wrist, Ambre Russe on the other. Possibly also Ambre Sultan on the old cleavage. Decided against Ambre Narguile because it is heavily tobaccoed to my nose.
    How sad am I that I sat there with Perfumes The Guide last night deciding for and against each candidate?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I'll be wearing my favorite amber - Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

Top notes: Oregano, Bay leaf, Coriander, Myrtle,
    Middle notes: Angelica, Patchouli
    Base notes: Labdanum, Styrax, Tolu balsam, Benzoin, Sandalwood
    I'm with you
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

(I'm sitting on the fence on this one - with envy and wistful glances at your lovely amber scents. I've admired Ambre Sultan for ages, but haven't managed to buy it yet. Have fun on Sniff & Speak day!)

I love 'em all !
    But I need 'portable' today-
    So, I bathed in YR's Voile D'Ambre gel, then put on Geisha Noire !
    [It fits in my pocket at work]

I always feel "annointed" in it; like Ambra Aurea, it makes me feel almost holy.

Poo! Forgot about SnS and have applied Bergamotto Marino.
    Will wear my amber as my SotE instead!

Basenotes Plus

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Precieux
    Notes: myrtle, lavender, amber, vanilla, nutmeg, ambergris, peru balsam, tolu

I love amber scents, and this delightful fragrance is no exception. The aromatics add a pleasing airiness and "spikiness" to the sweeter, richer notes, give them some breathing room. The result is a skillfully balanced, versatile fragrance that is at once stimulating and soothing. I'd put it at about halfway between Etro Ambra (golden and sweet) and Ambre Sultan (dark, intense). A beautifully composed, high quality scent, typical for this house.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Alien by Thierry Mugler

For this months Amber theme i've chosen Ava Luxe's Madame X. the notes are:

Coriander,Acacia,Farnesiana,Freshly cut hay,Jasmine,Rose,Labdanum,leather,Incence,Patchoul i,oakmoss,civet,ambergris,castoreum,sandalwood,mys ore,musk and vanilla.

On me the scent opens with a very buttery and oily smell.It's quite spicy too.Gradually the amber takes over with a touch of patchouli and maybe some incence.As the scents dries down it develops into a more animalic smell and a gorgeous leather note.

I'm not that familiar with ambers and sometimes I find them to be too sweet,but this scent is gorgeous I think
    Last edited by ineespenes; 4th October 2008 at 11:30 AM.
    Currently wearing: Bois des les by Chanel