Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, October 4, 2008 ★★★ AMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Many thanks to Asha for those great experiences/reviews! (Lemme know if you want samples of the divine Chinatown and SOD!!

Segueing into the evening in another "old standby" Voile d' Ambre...spiced up with Kouros (a sample from another divine - KBE.) K is a great spicy woodsy guy's frag that I love but can't carry off. Gives a nice jab to the gentle veil, however.
    LOL, Taolady--I was thinking YOU might appreciate Ambre Narguile more than me as it has the same qualities of those two frags (which I know you love)!

However, I think Chinatown and Sweet Oriental Dream are both much better than Ambre Narguile. At the very least, their powder is much better.
    Last edited by Asha; 5th October 2008 at 03:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, October 4, 2008 ★★★ AMBER

I started out to put Ambre Russe on one wrist only, to leave room for other scents, but it smelled SO good I spritzed it all over. Strangely, after the tiniest whiff of leather at the start, yesterday it turned into a straight up ambered tobacco and stayed that way most of the day. I'm not complaining, it was delicious, but I'm sure I remember it being different last time. Very interesting. I'd say it was singing the same song as Ambre Narguile yesterday, but drier and without the dried fruits. When it eventually faded into basenotes, it reminded me of the herbal Ambre Sultan, so I added some of that for bed. Lovely.

Today I'm going to wear Youth Dew Amber Nude and see how it fits into the picture.

Later: The Youth Dew Amber Nude was almost exactly what I would have expected of 'an amber', sort of a default setting. Very very good stuff, rich but not oversweet and with enough herbalness to keep it interesting. Highly recommended if you come across a bottle tucked away in a shop somewhere.

I recall Montale's Blue Amber as surprisingly fresh. I expected the sweet, sticky, full-on type of amber but was impressed by the wearableness of this. Quite butch to my nose, too. Reading Sakecat's entry below, I realised Bal a Versailles has amber in it. On me it's a thorough skank-fest (yay! love skank!), so I shall try that again with amber in mind and learn something. Plus I have to go back and smell Madame X again to see if I can spot the amber in it (any excuse to wear such a lovely perfume).

I love SnS because I learn so much.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 5th October 2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: more results to add to the equation
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Kinda jealous. Geisha Noire turned into a powder fest on me. If I was a bigger fan of powder I would be all over this.

Love Blue Amber, but I have to be in the mood for it. It's quite different each time I wear it. I definitely get the medicinal, rubbery notes that others get - but I think that makes the fragrance.

Last night's amber - Bal a Versailles. A spicy floral amber with just enough vetiver in it that a man could easily wear this. I wish I could describe this scent better. It just seamlessly shifts and morphs through the evolution - with the amber always there. Comforting some days, disconcerting others.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quick impressions:

Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily: Dark amber? I'm not sensing what I'd think of as dark amber. Mild incense with a lilting sweetness in the background that reminds me of Ginestet's winey fragrances. Lovely, mild, but not that haunting. The effect is blurred and fogged. Can't seem to focus on much in particular.

Fresh Mandarin Amber: I like it best while it's still wet. The mandarine is alive then. Once on the skin, it turns herbal--dry herbs and spices, actually. Not at all sweet. [Just went to look up the official notes, and there's little online about this scent from 1999. However, cedar appears to be the source of this dry scent.]
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Follow up on Montale Patchouli Leaves--faint skin scent the morning after (I applied it before bed). I think it is quite a decent patchouli-amber scent, but I am starting to wonder why I always get a strange "off" note and the metallic effect with the Montales. Hmmm. Still, the drydown was beautiful, even if it is not an 8-10 hour powerhouse.
    Last edited by Asha; 5th October 2008 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was traveling and not near a computer all day yesterday, but I was quite happy in Ambre Russe, one of my all-time best of the bests! I would have loved to gather all you amber-smelling people into one room. What pleasure for an amber lover!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

There sure is a lot of love for amber in this thread ... and rightly so. Amber is so versatile and I truly believe that there is an amber scent out there for everyone. Since I was having a hard time deciding on just one amber, I dedicated the entire weekend to amber scents, some old favorites and some new-ish. I had sort of a busy few days, filled with several different kinds of activities. Let me show you what I did and which scents I wore, to illustrate just how versatile amber can be.

Friday morning I had a funeral to attend. Etro Ambra was my scent of choice. Soft, sweet, comforting and hug-like, Etro Ambra was perfect. It is one of my favorites for times when I want my amber to whisper. Friday evening we had a family get together and casual dinner. I spritzed on Ambre Narguile, a new scent to me. I recently sampled it for the first time and found it to be so yummy. Our family is the hugging kind, and Amber Narguile is perfect for hugs!

Saturday morning I had some errands to run and some housework to do and then watch football! I picked Ambre Russe. Ambre Russe has been described very well in this thread already, so I will just say I adore this blend of amber, booze, tea, gentle spices and leather. It's unusual and just wonderful! Saturday night we went to a wedding. I sprayed my beloved Ambre Sultan. Normally, I would think Ambre Sultan as waaay too sexy to wear to a wedding, but this wasn't your usual wedding. It was outdoors at the edge of a pond on a cool, crisp evening followed by a big party! Many words have been written about Ambre Sultan, many stories told ... if it works for you, it just does, simple as that. It IS as sexy as can be and I always reach for AS when I want my amber to kick some ass. On me last night, it held its own to the cool weather, to the dancing, to the other smells of fall flowers and candles burning.

Today is a low-key day at home watching football (watching the Chiefs struggle and lose ). I'm wearing Ambre d'Or today and enjoying another version of amber. Tonight, dinner with the family and then an hour of adoration at church ... I will probably wear Blue Amber but my precious little vial of Soir d'Orient is calling to me, so I may have to wear that.

So you can see there are so many facets to amber. It can be blended with vanilla or spice or woods or florals or incense or leather or even booze! It can speak with volume or with a whisper. It can be sexy or demure. No wonder so many of us love amber.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like

Love reading about all those gorgeous amber scents, especially MPG Ambre Precieux and Montale Blue Amber which I have tried. I wore i Profumi di Firenze Ambra del Nepal which is a gentle, snuggly amber, one of the quieter ones but no less beautiful for it.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    .....So you can see there are so many facets to amber. It can be blended with vanilla or spice or woods or florals or incense or leather or even booze! It can speak with volume or with a whisper. It can be sexy or demure. No wonder so many of us love amber.
    Shadesofbleu, I really enjoyed your account of the different moods of amber. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quick snippet for today, as I sampled alot today...here are the amber highlights:

Left Arm: Bois 1920 Real Patchouli--a sweet patchouli amber (notes: Texas citron, Indian sandalwood, vanilla, amber--from luckyscent)
    Right Hand: Jalaine Silk--a light vanilla amber which is actually a cake-batter gourmand (notes: White Amber, Vanilla, Marine notes--from luckyscent)
    Right Arm: Profumum Ambra Aurea--a sweet, rounded amber in the classical style (notes: Grey amber absolute--from luckyscent)

I have a feeling the Profumum may be a HG amber, and may even topple MPG for the classic amber crown. Unfortunately Profumum is so incredibly expensive...sigh.
    Last edited by Asha; 6th October 2008 at 04:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

LOccitane Ambre

A very smooth amber, reminds me a little of bourbon. You dont smell vanilla but you do get the warmth and comfort of a vanilla scent, only you up the power to 10 and you add a whiskey to it and some jazz.
    Its has strength and presence, but it doesnt confuse you with other notes, there arent any herbal spices in it either so its an easy going Amber but its there and you cant deny it. It will hug and cuddle you all day whether you like it or not.

I like
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Youth Dew Amber Nude - very sexy, warm scent. Lighter than the original and
    more wearable imo. Love the drydown especially. I only have a sample of this,
    but may get a full bottle soon. Citrus notes seem to give it clarity and the whole
    effect is more transparent and less overpowering than the original Youth Dew, which
    I can't wear.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    This is my favorite Sniff 'n' Speak ever! (Quarry, was this originally your concept? I really look forward to these monthly threads!)
    The idea was lying around, but I pushed up the tent pole under it and set out the stakes to give it structure. Organizing--it's what I do.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction