Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon's at LS???

Since when does LS have Penhaligon's? Have I been missing it? And if so for how long?

Btw, general thoughts? Favourites? Duds? I'd like to order some samples. I'm curious about Bluebell, Artemisia and English Fern, but have never sniffed anything from this line.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Default Re: Penhaligon's at LS???

Here's a guy's perspective:
    * English Fern is an absolute classic. It is fresh, very green... like walking in a sunny field. If you like a fern-y scent that is not too sweet, and that is complex with some sandalwood thrown in; then you'll like this. I love it.
    * Artemesia -- florals, fruit and vanilla mean it doesn't enter my radar. Haven't tried it.
    * Bluebell. I sniffed this in a London shop. A lovely little floral scent.
    Do you like Lily of the Valley? I have a little sample of it, and it is an excellent rendition of that flower. Victorian Posy is also a charming scent, exactly as the name suggests. Castille is a gorgeous neroli (orange blossom) scent.
    In men's, I like Blenheim Bouquet but that is a very cool, dry pine-herbal scent.
    Opus 1870 is an amazing cedar scent, again very dry.
    Duoro, a great dry sandalwood.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

May I ask what LS is? Is it Les Scenteurs?

Can we avoid the abbreviations unless the full name has been given at least once in your post?
    I note a lot of topics these days pertain to "Creed at TJM" or "Ford at Nordies" and so on... for someone living outside of the US, this gets a bit frustrating. :-/

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

TJM is T. J. Maxx (a discounter) and Nordies must be Nordstrom (high end department store).

No idea what LS is....
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 30th September 2008 at 11:12 AM.

Dimi, I think the original poster meant Lucky Scent since she is in Canada, but I feel your remark and can't but agree with it.

Penhaligon's is a difficult yet attractive brand for me. Aak me a year ago and I would say that the scents that I had tried were linear, metallic and even mean/sardonic (like in "b*tchy"). Not very much so now, they have grown on me! Bluebell -- a model mean and green -- is wonderful actually, with great developement, nice throw and lasting power. Cornubia that is getting harder and harder to come by, is another one with huge potential.

Note to self: need to wear them more.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I got caught up in the abbreviations and didn't answer the question!

My husband wears English Fern and we both love it on him. I bought Violetta just a few days ago and it wears very comfortably on me-- not sweet, not powdery, not harsh or musty and not complicated...just a good clean violet, rather linear.

Lily of the Valley was unremarkable and faded very fast--- within 30 minutes it was barely there. This was disappointing to say the least as I adore lily of the valley scents and am forever on a search for the best one still in production (my first and favorite to date was Coty's Muguet des Bois, discontinued after having been reformulated.)

edit: Now that I put my samples in atomisers I am finding they doen't fade as fast as I previously thought. But I still don't like this LOTV.

Bluebell is very strong and gives me a headache.

I've smelled most of the rest but don't recall which one was a lovely citrus that alas, faded too fast. The others, I didn't care for enough to remember more about them.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 9th December 2008 at 07:28 PM.

Thank you for the responses and sorry about the abbreviation! - yes, I did mean Luckyscent - I just noticed last night that they had Penhaligon's listed and hadn't seen it before.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

I was surprised too! I was perusing and daydreaming on the LuckyScent website and ran smack into the Penhaligon's page. I don't think they announced it as a new acqusition, or did they? I usually get an email from them about new things.

Anyway, I have the Hammam Bouquet and adore it. It was originally a men's scent in the late Victorian era. It's a spicy, deep blend with dark rose running through it. Wear it in chilly weather and it'll perform its best for you.

Someone gifted me with the Elisabethan Rose one year - I used it all up but did not replace it. It's a pretty, light rose, very true, nothing synthetic smelling about it.

Btw, all of the soaps I've ever purchased from Penhaligon were superb. Long lasting, deeply scented, and the boxes were lovely as well.

I noticed some of their write-ups are screwy (for example, they had the Lavandula write-up for another scent) so maybe they're just getting it set up and will then send out an e-mail? I haven't heard anything from them either.

Oh well, more samples I'm going to have to order!

I noticed that today, too (after just receiving - YAY - my order of Vetiver Dance).
    They included two Penhaligon's samples: Endymion cologne and Malabah eau de parfum. The Malabah is an official Penahligon's sample in a pretty, dark-pink and gold, flalcon-shaped card. Looking forward to trying them...