Code of Conduct

Question Chanel historians - Chanel for Men?

A question for the male Chanel fans here.

I won a lot of mini vintage frags on ebay, including a bottle called "Chanel for Men" Cologne. I've done a little googling and can't tell for sure whether it's a discontinued frag or whether it's the same as Chanel Pour Monsieur.

Anyone here know? (BTW, the top notes out of the bottle smell pretty frickin' good.)
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: Chanel historians - Chanel for Men?

Chanel Pour Monsieur was once Chanel for Men in the US (and Chanel for Gentleman in the UK). Now its all called Chanel pour Monsieur.

Supposedly the same scent, but there are a few who say it's not quite the same

Thanks for the info, Grant.

Now I might have to get some of the Pour Monsieur to test side by side.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Dependent

Its quite common a situation. The US being one of the largest consumer hub for European imports, convinced quite a few big names to make for a more receptive impression for the US market. As with Japan, alot of high end products renamed to bait. another pretty recent change is the original burberry(in reed). If i recall correctly, it was burb london(which now is another scent, correct me if im wrong) prior to its current Buberry for men. Ive used both and didnt feel any difference.

Weirdly Envy for men seems more diluted and flat as compared to 7-8 years back when i first started using it.. pretty disappointed with the quality now. both were purchased from the gucci frag counter.

Personally ive only used Allure Homme, AH sport and Antaeus(being my least fave tho i quite a fan of 70s and 80s.) when it comes to chanel. quite curious as to how it fairs in my opinion

Chanel PM is almost non-existent here, would be great to hear how it turns out for you. its pretty hard to find a site that stocks it and ships international as well. i'll watch this space
    Last edited by MFJ; 30th September 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Hello All,

Just bumping this again.

I thought Chanel for Men was a totally different animal to the pour Monsieur. Am I wrong? I recently came across a vintage aftershave and the juice is amber- nothing like pour monsieur.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    Hello All,

Just bumping this again.

I thought Chanel for Men was a totally different animal to the pour Monsieur. Am I wrong? I recently came across a vintage aftershave and the juice is amber- nothing like pour monsieur.
    Hi Koala!! even the juice of pour monsieur may vary from bottle to bottle and are of equal "taste" , they advise you in the package with a informative writting inside.