Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Tuesday 30 September 2008

Sudsy, one of us. Never forgotten.

30th Sept 2007 - 30th Sept 2008

I remember you in Virgin Island Water
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Default Re: SotD Tuesday 30 September 2008

Sudsy has been on my mind, Riannon, I still have several emails, the last one dated Sept.26th that I just can't bring myself to delete.
    I shall wear Aqua Allegoria Gentiana as it was a scent that she shared with me along with one of her favorites, Pampleune.
    Here is a review of the Gentiana:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211667.html
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I was thinking of Sudsy just the other day; can´t believe how fast a year passes...

To honor Sudsy, and her "joie de vivre", I will be wearing Fracas today.

God Bless Sudsy.
    Kenzo Flower for me today.

Uomo?/Moschino
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Remembering dear Sudsy today in a fragrance that is bright and happy like she was; Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Whoa the year flew right past me!! I still can hardly bring myself to delete Sudsy's old emails either. Today I'm in Escada by Escada, one of the samples she sent me.

Smile Re: SotD Tuesday 30 September 2008

CARON, Impact de Pour un Homme ( extrait )

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Hugh Parsons Traditional (Blue). Have a great day everyone!

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Champs-Elysees

And a Happy new year to all muslim friends out there.

Sotd is Madame X today.

Mitsouko for the day.

Fresh Lemon Sugar layered with Crazylibellule and the Poppies Poule Deluxe Lemon Pie. Yummm!

Although I didn't "know" Sudsy very well and never corresponded with her, I still remember the shock of one year ago and how much we all were affected. I am sending a wish of eternal happiness her way.

I am wearing the creamy and spicy goodness that is Fendi

Theorema EdP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Shana Tova to all celebrating Rosh Hashanah

After reading Sloan's excellent review yesterday I was inspired to outfit my self in roses but I wanted to try some new roses and so I am in:

Amouage Lyric Men

This is a rose of a different stripe. There is a delicate lime note that ushers you into the rose-filled heart of this one. What is really nice is under the rose there are spices but very subtle. The base is pine and incense with a touch of sandalwood. The note list says vanilla is here but I haven't detected it. This is a completely different rose than any of the others I own and I like it for that reason.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Plus

I was on a break from posting this time last year so did not come to know Sudsy, but was shocked and saddened to learn of her sudden, tragic death. May her memory be a blessing.

Serge Lutens Arabie
    Notes: cedar, sandalwood resin, candied mandarin peel, dried figs, dates, nutmeg, cumin, clove, bayleaf, balsamic resins, Siamese benzoin

Have a good day, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

May Sudsy be peaceful and feel the love.

May all those who observed Ramadan be blessed.
    May we all be inscribed in the Book of Life for a sweet and wonderful New Year.
    May our leaders experience enlightenment...or the thunderbolt, divinely guided, natch...

SMM, you must smell divine!
    I'm awaiting my sample of the women's Lyric- the sound of which appeals to me, bigtime.

MIA from here, due to readying family for the New Year, cooking, baking, healing wounds.
    Slept in Madame X last night...

Off to Brandeis Hillel today, en famille.
    Probably in SL Un Santal Mysore.

Love you all-

Was thinking about Sudsy and her bubbly exuberance too.

YSL Champagne for me today.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    \
    Sudsy, one of us. Never forgotten.

30th Sept 2007 - 30th Sept 2008

I remember you in Virgin Island Water
    While I didn't know her, I could see and feel the passion of her life amongst all the words of her friends...

And that is a testament to her love and her life...

I too will wear Virgin Island Water...
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Tuberose Gardenia, by EL

Good yontiff to those celebrating Pesach!

Happy Navratri to the HIndi!

To my spirit sister Gemini Sudsy (we shared the same birthday) hey Girl! You smellin' fine!

Had already committed to oranges before I came downstairs to check in - Jo Malone (thanks Black Cat!!) Orange Blossom Cologne on the left - Yves Rocher Fleur d'Oranger on the right. (thanks Quarry!)

After a sharply green opening the JM has settled into a slightly powdery neroli (on me) with a bit of lily. The YR has a dusty-drawer aura to it..it's warm and sweet and pungent and indolent. Nice combo.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb this morning from a sample.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 30th September 2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: I can spell, I just can't type!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Creed Aubepine Acacia as SotD.

I miss Sudsy and her bubbling posts.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Remembering Sudsy today!!

Dior Homme for now

Wishing everyone a wonderful day
    in Montale Velvet Flowers
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Basenotes Institution

Opium Pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Y.S.L.

Sudsy - wherever you are, I am sure you smell great. We miss you terribly.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th September 2008 at 12:41 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I can't believe it's been a year already. I miss her.

SOTD: LeLabo Labdanum 18 (choice compliments of Nukapai with my thanks)
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Dzing and Voleur de roses
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Safran Troublant, creamy and gorgeous, and the only "rose" I love!

Diptyque L'Autre

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I, too, had been thinking about Sudsy this past week. Had no conscious idea it had been a year since her senseless departure. Riannon, you're such a thoughtful soul, but that's stating the obvious to everyone here, isn't it? Strange how we know each other more as spirits than as flesh-and-blood entities. So, once touched, it feels like we never completely disconnect.

After wearing the exquisite Shalimar yesterday, I thought I'd return to another vanilla-influenced Guerlain scent today for comparative analysis and pleasure: Angelique Noire. Boy, I have to give more credence to Turin's review now. I thought this was dreamy (and I do still like the greenness--Q loves her greens), however, now I get what Turin said about clumsy.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

It's funny, but for some reason this past week, I too have been thinking of our dearest Sudsy without realizing that it was close to the anniversary of her sudden passing. The year has flown by fast and like others, I cannot bear to delete her PMs. She's affected so many of us in the short time that she was on BN.

Wearing Coromandel today.

Will switch to VIW for tonight, in her honour.

Thanks for the reminder Riannon.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

People say that you can't make friends without seeing and hearing them. If that is true, then Helen Keller must have been REAL lonely.

Today I'm comparing Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir with Neil Morris' Flowers for Men: Lilac. There is something similar about them, but they are *not* the same. Maybe viburnum?

All of your thoughts, your love to someone most of you had never met in person makes my heart full, and brings tears to my eyes. May this wonderful person, Sudsy, rest forever in peace. There are many prayers around the world today.

To all celebrating and contemplating the New Year today and this week, I wish a Shana Tovah. May it be a GOOD year.

I will be wearing Carnal Flower today.

--
    I reread this, and am editing to add that I didn't know her either, in case that was unclear above: I'm pretty new here. I am so touched by this place, and the people here.
    Last edited by lushsoup; 30th September 2008 at 11:05 PM.

Good morning! Today, I'm sampling Stephanie de Saint-Aignan's LI ALTARELLI. It is reportedly this perfumer's tribute to the island of Corsica. I found this description at ozmoz.com:

A ‘thrilling eau’ with an opening of citrus and green notes. The aromatic heart is garbed in notes with a hint of flowers and sea air. The fragrance evolves towards a dry, woody, almost chypre trail of immortelle flowers and patchouli.

TOP: Lemon, Citrus, Resin, Freshly Cut Grass, Galbanum
    HEART: Aromatic Herbs, Aquatic Note, Violet, Lavender, Iris
    BASE: Immortelle, Patchouli

I have to say that I didn't think lemon was my thing, but this lemon is beautifully blended with the other elements. So far I'm thinking this is FBW. It will probably be in my cabinet before next summer.

P.S. Makes me want to take a trip to Corsica!

David Yurman and mineral oil. It's soooo much better now.
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Wore Hermès Hiris for the 7th day in a row today...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

a.m. parfum des merveilles
    p.m. probably l'heure bleue

Bal a Versailles.

I smell like a church.

I started posting here after Sudsy's untimely death. But I can see how much she meant to people here, and I can't imagine the shock of losing a Basenoter. May your happy memories of Sudsy stay with you always and comfort you.

I also didn't realize that not only is today Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year--l'shanah tovah tikateyvu) but also the last day of Ramadan, the holy Muslim month. Peace to all, and may all the world's citizens recognize each other's commonalities, not differences.

SotD: Creative Scentualization Peace Comes from Within on my left arm, joining Twolf on the right arm with Yvresse/Champagne, both from samples (thanks to Tang for the Yvresse!).

PCfW notes, per luckyscent: bergamot, oceanic musk, sandalwood.
    Simple and straightforward but nice skin scent. Meditative with just a hint of salty ocean. Actually, I take it back - a bit too much of ocean in the heart notes, but it settles down by the drydown.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 30th September 2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: update on PCfW
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I also didn't realize that not only is today Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year--l'shanah tovah tikateyvu) but also the last day of Ramadan, the holy Muslim month. Peace to all, and may all the world's citizens recognize each other's commonalities, not differences.
    Lovely sentiment, BlackCat

Time flies. I was a really new poster when Sudsy passed away. It struck me then, as it struck me now how deep this community runs.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Today is the day I transition my beloved V8 Barcalounger (a 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII) to its new owners. I donated the car to our public school system. Even if the car never sees the streets again - it's final days will be spent educating students. The kids were pretty darned excited when they saw it or, as the instructor put it, "So that's the new pimpmobile...."

That car was the first big-ticket item I purchased solely out of love. Not practicality. I bought it when I escaped an unhappy marriage. That car has lots of meaning and memories.

My life has moved through that dark period and into a much happier and significantly more stable relationship. The car has lasted longer than it really should have. It was time.

Vero Profumo Rubj for today's somewhat bittersweet parting.

The kids have promised to let me know what becomes of the car.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

I am wearing Attrape-Coeur.

I'm a newbie here and didn't know Sudsy, but I tip my hat to the memories others here share about her.

----------
    Kenzo Amour today, picked by silverbullet via the SotD thread (eventually; via PM, after being cheeky on the thread itself!).

L'Heure Bleue EDP for SOTE

I also came too late to BN to meet Sudsy, but she sounds like a lovely person who is dearly missed. Wearing L'Air du Desert Marocain and wilting under the unseasonably hot weather.

SotE: Virgin Island Water
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I've been wearing Czech & Speake No. 88 from a dwindling sample.
    I was too late to get RHM's choice for today, so will wear it tomorrow.

I do hope Sudsy knows how much she is missed after all your lovely thoughts and posts.

Zegna Intenso
    Gary

I switched...
    And am scent sisters w/ Therese in Attrape-Coeur [ Guet-Apens].

Looky, looky !
    Ms. Dumbass FINALLY figures it out, ho-ho...
    I'm the second pixie on the left, at October Sniffa a year ago...

SotE: Rose-Oil-Without-A-Name (Thanks, mudassir!)

John Varvatos
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme as SotE. Classy!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Blog Entries

I was having another glum day (due to the changing weather, I think) and then I read everyone's posts here and on the remembrance thread last year for your dear Sudsy. I suddenly felt I was being sullen for indulgent reasons, not really any good reason. So I tried to smile more at others and be actively cheerful. I think it's working! The compassion of Basenoters is so beautiful and inspiring.

I'm sampling Chanel Allure Sensuelle again today. I really like it!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Hi All, wearing Vera Wang today. Its a nice fragrance that I very seldom reach for. Decided today was the day I'd show VW some love.

Still on an orange binge...going to bed in Elixir de Merveilles.....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Haven't been bothering to post this, but virtually every single night I apply Yves Rocher Iris Noir before bedtime. It just feels so right. I know, however, as soon I buy the big bottle, I'll stop caring for it. There's something special about mini bottles.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Miss Q, I love my minis, too!

Chaya, now all I have to do is figure out how to make the photo bigger on my monitor so that these older eyes can actually see you!

Frag sampling this afternoon at the mall:

Sensous - one last try before buying
    EL Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang - medicinal amber on me until the drydown, nice
    dryish vanillic-amber drydown but smells like others I have already have
    Badgley Mischka - mmmmm, so far, so good, must try this again on its own
    Joy EdP - sadly, doesn't seem to love my chemistry, had a slightly metal note - will need to
    try the parfum one of these days
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

I never knew Sudsy, but when I clicked through to last years Sniff 'n Speak thread, everybody was talking about her. It must have been right after she departed, because even reading those posts now was extremely moving. And what a nice memorial today!

SotD: Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere
    SotE: Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Today is the first time I have given a full wearing to No5EP. On another thread, somebody commented that this is an EDP. I do not think that is true. The SA told me it was not EDP or EDT. My experience last week in comparing it to No.5 EDT is that they lasted and projected about the same, with No5EP having a slight edge. I really think the EP is partway between an EDP and an EDT. I had to spray 2 sprays on each arm because I could barely smell it at first. Then, with the frag under my sleeves, it lasted maybe 4 hours before it turned into mostly a skin scent.

I agree with other assessments that it is like a softer No.5. It still has some aldehydes (waxy, soapy notes), but it really does not have the sparkle or the peachyness of No5. And the spicyness which is in both frags is left a bit bare in the EP without the peach note. It is definitely more modern, but it retains its classic quality--a huge plus, I think.

If I didn't have No.5 already, I would probably get this one. But since I have No.5, I am not sure I feel any need to add EP to my wardrobe right now. Besides, a 5 oz. bottle is really outrageous. Given the name recognition, it is definitely a good one to put on the Christmas wish list, tho
    Last edited by Asha; 1st October 2008 at 04:27 AM.