Code of Conduct

Default Creed Himalaya and Longevity

My apologies for the new topic but I just had to say that even I am shocked at the longevity of my Himalaya today (or yesterday, as it were).

Yesterday, at 05:00, I sprayed a generous amount of Himalaya on my neck and arms, and a slight spray on the back of each hand.

Today, at 13:09 I can still smell that oh so gorgeous drydown on the back of my left hand.

After a shower.

And countless hand washings.

And it's not even very faint.

My goodness, I LOVE this scent.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussions.

Default Re: Creed Himalaya and Longevity

I was shaking my head while reading the title of your thread. "Tsk, tsk, another one who loves the Creed for the hour or two that it's around". Imagine my surprise upon learning that it lasts for more than a few hours on you.

In general, my Creeds lasts anywhere from 6 to 12 hours on me, depending on conditions.

But this is just ridiculous, I smelled my hand in passing and thought I was smelling things.

I love my GIT, MI and SMW and wear them quite a bit. From my experience, when people talk about longevity of various Creed frags and report wildly differing experiences like "oh noes, it's gone after an hour" and "it lasts the whole day!!111", apart from the usual variations due to individual skin chemistry and circumstances, they are in fact talking about different things. The top and mid notes of many modern Creeds have average longevity at best (and well below average as is the case with GIT for example). But the trademark Creed ambergris drydown arrives after the tops and mids are gone and it just keeps on going. I think that's what people are talking about when they rave about Creed's longevity. This is just my little theory, I could be wrong.

I agree with Igor01, top notes disappear after the first couple of hrs and then it's the sweet ambergris drydown that comes into play and sticks around the rest of the time. You do still get a hint of the top notes though...atleast on my skin I do. MI lasts for 4-5 hrs max on my skin, Himalaya will stay around for 6-8, depending on the weather, and GIT's drydown also sticks around for an average of 8 hrs on me. Original Santal however...I'll spray it on before going out one night, and it'll still be there when I wake up in the morning. OS keeps its top notes for a longer period of time as well! The scent isn't as great as GIT, MI, or Himalaya though.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    I love my GIT, MI and SMW and wear them quite a bit. From my experience, when people talk about longevity of various Creed frags and report wildly differing experiences like "oh noes, it's gone after an hour" and "it lasts the whole day!!111", apart from the usual variations due to individual skin chemistry and circumstances, they are in fact talking about different things. The top and mid notes of many modern Creeds have average longevity at best (and well below average as is the case with GIT for example). But the trademark Creed ambergris drydown arrives after the tops and mids are gone and it just keeps on going. I think that's what people are talking about when they rave about Creed's longevity. This is just my little theory, I could be wrong.
    I agree with your theory for the most part. Perhaps many folks do confuse the quick exit of the topnotes with poor longevity, even though the base continues on and on. However, I do recall many complaining that they can't smell a thing after a couple of hours.

My own experience is that Himalaya and GIT last forever on me, albeit the drydown notes only. Not so much with SMW.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 30th September 2008 at 06:37 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I am definitely referring to the dry-down. On me the top and mid notes of Hilmalaya stay on around 5-6 hours, and MI significantly shorter, around 3-4 hours.

They are glorious, but that ambergris drydown is like no other.

I'm going to experiment using roll-on bottles over the next couple of weeks, because I have a feel that when a frag is sprayed, the top notes can cause a lot of problems with appreciating the drydown. I'll write up a post on this after I'm finished with my "experiment."

Most Creeds have medium longevity on me (4-6 hours).

But Himalaya is a different animal! I also notice it MANY hours after application.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I'm going to experiment using roll-on bottles over the next couple of weeks, because I have a feel that when a frag is sprayed, the top notes can cause a lot of problems with appreciating the drydown. I'll write up a post on this after I'm finished with my "experiment."
    This has been my experience too, when I "dab" as opposed to "spray" the top and mid notes of Creeds have less prominent projection but last quite a bit longer.

woot a thread about my favorite creed fragrance. Seriously, I love GIT, SMW is nice, and BdP wasn't bad either, but absolutly nothing has "Wowed" me like Himalaya. One of the few frags I deem worthy of keeping a backup when im halfway through.

Nahhhh, my wife has a sharp eye for budget and an even sharper nose. This one was purchased new so she had even more interest in it than usual and if she says it's gone in just a few hours then it's gone in just a few hours. We both like it while it lasts but the longevity around here is woefully short. It does last longer on clothing but everything lasts longer on clothing so that's not saying much. Not impressed.

Since we are on the talk of Himalaya, I have been contemplating wearing Himalaya to my classes. Too strong, or safe?

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    Since we are on the talk of Himalaya, I have been contemplating wearing Himalaya to my classes. Too strong, or safe?
    On me at least, Himalaya is too strong (rich?) to wear to class, meetings, etc. unless applied very sparingly.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    I find that while GIT is OK, MI and SMW are a bit too strong even when I do only two sprays, one to each side of the neck. I have found that Creed atomizers spray a very generous amount which probably has a lot to do with it.

Instead I prefer to use a small pocket atomizer for my SotD or even use a tester vial and do the "dab" thingie. This limits the sillage considerably (to the office-safe level) and curiously enough increases the longevity of the scent, probably because there's more of the juice on less of the surface. The other method you may want to try is to do a spray to your chest under your shirt, this mutes the sillage somewhat and also provides for a better longevity. I personally don't like it because my Creeds seem to smell different when sprayed that way and I find that the drydown ambergris notes linger too long and stay too strong on the skin, to the point of me smelling it at night when I go to bed, which I don't enjoy.