Code of Conduct

Default The Trouble with Iquitos: Rose or Rubber

When I posted a thread about my perfume collection, a few basenoters were convinced that Iquitos was missing in it. They told me it would be an important addition. To them, it was an error to discontinue Iquitos: it was a misunderstood classic that everyone should try.

So, I found a bottle of Iquitos for a very good price on ebay, and I blind-bought it. But I have to admit, I have mixed feelings about this perfume. I can see what the people at Alain Delon's company were trying to do with it.... they were trying to create the smell of real roses using artificial ingredients. Rose Otto is very greenish and doesn't smell like real roses, because of the process used to obtain the oil. So, Iquitos tries to recreate the true, delicate, sweeter rose note using other ingredients.

The problem is that only If you try hard enough, you can imagine a real rose when you smell Iquitos. But if you don't try hard enough, it smells like rubber. You need to have a favorable attitude towards Iquitos, otherwise the image of the rose vanishes, and you are left with chemicals (aldehydes).

I don't hate this perfume, but come on, this could never be considered a masterpiece. I am very picky. Only very good illusions can charm me or my nose. Iquitos failed.
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 1st October 2008 at 02:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Trouble with Iquitos: Rose or Rubber

i used to have iquitos a long time ago....when i was in high school. I guess my mom had found a bottle cheap at some shop and bought it for me..it did smell like roses, but sort of like a rose dipped in cough syrup.

when i think back upon the smell, which i CAN remember very well.....it was very strong, pungent, and unforgiving. A couple dabs really smelled up the whole bloody room.....eventually i started using it as an air freshener when i used to stick my head out the window to smoke a cigarette. bad boy i know

the memory of that fragrance makes me cringe....it was repulsively strong, very outdated, and completely synthetic. sorry for your purchase, mate!
    Last edited by everso; 1st October 2008 at 12:21 AM.

Heheh, another great review, LV. The best rose I sniffed was a rose attar blend, which was amazing in its depth. I don't think it lost any of the rose fragrance tone.
    What does Iquitos's synthetic rubber smell appear as? Something similar to Bulgari black?

AK3D, I've never tried Bvlgari Black....
    I don't know of any perfume with the same rubber note, however Kolnich Juchten, a radical, powerful russian leather perfume (it is a mixture of ashtray and leather) has a rubber basenote, which appears only after the middle and top notes disappear. This basenote in Kolnich Juchten is a little bit like the rubber note in Iquitos. The difference is that Iquitos has the rubber note in its heart, together with other notes. Kolnich Juchten has the rubber note isolated, as a single base note. Also, the note in KJ is more realistic, like pure rubber.
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 1st October 2008 at 02:29 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by AK3D View Post
    Heheh, another great review, LV. The best rose I sniffed was a rose attar blend, which was amazing in its depth. I don't think it lost any of the rose fragrance tone.
    What does Iquitos's synthetic rubber smell appear as? Something similar to Bulgari black?
    More similar to Ungaro III mixed with rubber.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st October 2008 at 03:29 AM.

Yes, yes, Mike's description is perfect. Ungaro III plus rubber.

Now that's interesting.... if I remember correctly, I got rosewood rather than rose (the flower) from Ungaro III.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Now that's interesting.... if I remember correctly, I got rosewood rather than rose (the flower) from Ungaro III.
    I don't get rose from U III either. Iquitos, from memory is a dirty, nasty rose and an acquired taste.

Iquitos is one of those divisive, cult fragrances. I think it smells like a grand mother on testosterone. May it RIP.

Sorry for the abrupt change of subject, but why are Mike Perez, Ruggles, Vibert and SirSlarty using the same Avatar? Where does it come from?!

P.S. I agree, it is probably a cult fragrance that has a small but strong group of faithful admirers....
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 1st October 2008 at 04:46 PM.

How about layering Iquitos with Tea Rose (Perfumer's Workshop)? Way back in the 80s I found Iquitos interesting and daring, but it hasn't been able to keep my attention, so I very seldom feel in the mood for it these days. It doesn't smell particularly synthetic to me though.

I'm very fond of Iquitos. Although it's not in my top ten, I reach for it fairly frequently when nothing else feels right. I don't get rubber from it, but I do get an initial tang similar to what I smell in Black Aoud, but in both cases the tang serves to set off nicely the more beautiful rose fragrance.
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Iquitos is an earthy, complex, masculine fragrance. Amazing drydown.

I don't get rubber or synthetics from it.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Rose dipped in cough syrup......that sounds really interesting. Also the Ungaro III comparison....

Can anyone compare Iquitos with Aramis 900?
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

My first sampling of Iquitos did not reveal anything rubbery. Rather, it was similar to some "feminine" fragrances that I was sampling about the same time, but a bit damper and earthier. I'm looking forward to a second sampling, but I'd rather wait a bit and come to it totally "fresh" so that there is no "spillover" from the first sampling. Rubbery type frags are generally not my thing. I disliked Bvlgari Black and can just tolerate that kind of note in FUBU Plush.

I don't know it at all, but all this sounds like a Caron perfume.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Not at all like a Caron, and not even near a classic cologne! Most off-putting: the aldehydic sweetness that robs the air for breathing. I am sure it has its admirers , and I do get something reminding of rose: my own experiments in making rose waters. You need a certain amount of rose petals before you can start, and it happens that some leaves begin to dry too soon, or start decaying while you are waiting for the harvest of the next day...

The smell of 'fresh roses' is not available in Iquitos, and I believe that was intended. Unfortunately, and particularly if you are not in the mood for it, you smell the first stages of a decaying rose. I was thinking to dispose of my bottle when I discovered the charm of mold in Délon's perfume. A strange thing to wear, but not so bad if you like the idea of rose smells for men. I can appreciate this strange masculine as a collector. But after Montale's great rose scents, Iquitos has become totally obsolete.
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd October 2008 at 05:06 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.