Code of Conduct

Default A sophisticated, intelligent, and edgy scent...

I currently work at a research lab. Sometimes I have to travel, do business, etc., etc. I am also rather youthful (a few years out of school).

The work I do is edgy (as are my ideas), yet I am very 'old school' personality wise - think Humphrey Bogart in Sabrina. I am trying to figure out what to wear that reflects this. Here is something that might help you figure out what I'm talking about. http://www.media.mit.edu/ (they created the 1 laptop per child program ... 100 dollar laptop). Very edgy work but in Cambridge, MA along the Charles River.

I posted something a while ago and I got a bunch of responses and got some samples and the scents really didn't match what I was going for... although I did realize that I liked Creed GIT, Tabarome Mill., Royal Water, and Royal Leather. I also found out that the Creed Vetiver is a thousand times better than the Guerlain Vetiver.

I currently own Terre d'Hermes, Burberry Weekend, SMW, Burberry London, and Guerlain Vetiver. (Listed in order from my pers. fav. to least.)

Thanks to all in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: A sophisticated, intelligent, and edgy scent...

Knize Ten.

sophisticated and edgy, most definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkoffee View Post
    I posted something a while ago and I got a bunch of responses and got some samples and the scents really didn't match what I was going for.
    The scents you've listed that you already like aren't entirely IMO sophisticated, intelligent or edgy. Perhaps you're looking for something (in a perfume) you aren't looking for?

Try going into a little more detail, we may help refine your search.

I fit your description, and I love Hammam Bouquet and L'Ombre Dans L'Eau.
    Knize Ten was a very good suggestion too.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 1st October 2008 at 01:03 AM.

Blog Entries

also...i think you work too much. you describe yourself completely based around your WORK. your fragrance should represent YOU, not your work...

screw work, it's not who you are.....who are YOU?
    Last edited by everso; 1st October 2008 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Knize Ten.

sophisticated and edgy, most definitely.
    Yes indeed, If you're in Harvard Square for lunch, wander round the corner to Colonial Drug and buy yourself Knize Ten. Done deal.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

In the end, none of our suggestions may help, since your request for an edgy, old school scent is so subjective. You will probably have to smell dozens, if not hundreds, of scents. And, of course, that is part of the fun. I believe SlummervilleMetroMan has posted about a scent trail in Boston in the City Shopping Guide forum. Read his post for places to visit, then go smell. And check out Knize Ten. It's worth a sniff.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    In the end, none of our suggestions may help, since your request for an edgy, old school scent is so subjective. You will probably have to smell dozens, if not hundreds, of scents. And, of course, that is part of the fun. I believe SlummervilleMetroMan has posted about a scent trail in Boston in the City Shopping Guide forum. Read his post for places to visit, then go smell. And check out Knize Ten. It's worth a sniff.
    Dpak says it right, we really can't match scents we know and love with your descriptive words and have them be sure fire ones for your nose as well. You really have to answer the question yourself by sniffing on your own and seeing which things you sniff call up thoughts of the descriptive words you use. Your previous attempt to find these, and disappointment in the results, prove this point. Try out the suggestions and try out all the other things you come across, but because we think things are sophisticated, intelligent, and edgy--which everyone wants to be--don't think that you'll think the same thing from smelling them.
    Best luck,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Off-Scenter

Leather and incense scents in general can get you some of that "edgy" feeling, while still being sophisticated.

A few standouts:

Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Dzongkha
    Eau d'Hermes
    Idole de Lubin
    Avignon
    Parfum d'Habit

Other edgy sophisitcates are Black Aoud, Or Black, Intrigant Patchouli, and Ungaro II.

Talk about working too much... Haven't slept in 48 hrs... Aren't we expecting too much out of a scent?. Even Knize 10 can smell cheap and grotesque if not worn well... A scent that makes you look intelligent and sophisticated?
    I do not know...
    a floral I guess. Black Aoud, C&S88, Havana, Narciso Rodriguez, 3rd Man...
    An incense?
    Avignon or 2 Man, Homme Sage!!! smells like an old library..
    An introspective scent... yang, tam dao or some vetiver (Guerlain of Fredric Malle).
    I do not know. The brightest people I have ever met wore simplistic stuff like Old Spice, Shalimar, Rive Gauche or Aramis...

I guess I never let my fragrance do the talkin'
    Thanks for sharing your resumé but dude, it's just perfume.
    Last edited by irish; 1st October 2008 at 02:14 AM.

Bond No9's Bleeker Street
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Well, you are catchin' a bit of flack here. Your question seems reasonable enough. This is a "just starting out forum" after all.
    You'll have to keep searching to find what suits you... that we all agree on.
    Have you tried the Comme des Garcons INCENSE line? That definitely is different, and has a lot of fans.
    I like to go against the modern-fresh trend and get old-school scents: Penhaligons, Geo. F. Trumper are great British firms. Victorian class!
    Hermes Equipage.
    L'Artisan Parfumer Mechant Loup and Fou D'Absinthe.
    And if you want really edgy, check out "oud" which has a huge thread on the men's side.
    Just keep searching. You'll find things you like, and dislike. It all takes time, and the journey itself is fun.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Is Knize Ten much like Vintage Tab.?

An old post that referred to what I'm talking about right now : http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=211677 .

Vintage Tab. just seemed too 'classic' and 'mature'. Wondering if there is something that is a bit less 'mature' than the suggestions in this post.

Thanks for all the advice, will be checking in with my local perfumers.

Blog Entries

An old post that referred to what I'm talking about right now : http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=211677 .

Vintage Tab. just seemed too 'classic' and 'mature'. Wondering if there is something that is a bit less 'mature' than the suggestions in this post.

Knize Ten is nothing like Vintage Taborome.......thank god.

i agree with dustb and dpak. get out there and explore scents....forget about whether it suits your job or not.....that's boring. go out and find what you like...smell 100s of stuff, should be fun....

Sur la Plage

They are quite different but both wonderful - I own both. But neither is "edgy" IMO.

Please sample, sample, sample. I would also recommend trying the Aouds and CDGs.

Good luck with your search.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think you should try the one that started the whole metrosexual genre, pick up the hockey puck and try on Bulgari Black. Might not be the flashiest bottle or sport the latest notes chemistry can provide but it's held up fairly well and not just everyone can pull it off.

Many people find L'Anarchiste rather edgy and yet sophisticated. I find it versatile too, from the office to a night out, winter, spring, summer or especially autumn, it always works for me.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Did you try Rive Gauche pour homme ?
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

I'd say Egoiste, Chanel PM, CdG Hinoki, or Rive Gauche.
    RG first came to mind. It fits the 3 adjectives you mentioned and is hardly "simplistic" as mentioned above.

Sophisticated, intelligent, AND edgy...Vetiver Extraordinaire by Malle dude.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Many people find L'Anarchiste rather edgy and yet sophisticated. I find it versatile too, from the office to a night out, winter, spring, summer or especially autumn, it always works for me.
    An excellent suggestion. (Kicks himself for not thinking of it earlier. )

How about Bulgari PH?

I think a line that might suit the image you're looking for is Biehl Parfumkustwerke. In particular eo 02 and mb 03 might strike the perfect balance between classic and edgy.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    An excellent suggestion. (Kicks himself for not thinking of it earlier. )
    Well, I wish you would have recommended it earlier, just so I don't sound like a broken record.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Knize Ten is one scent that I am going to try out...

Anywhere you would suggest buying this particular frag.? It seems to be no where online, and right now I won't be back in Boston for a few months.