Code of Conduct

Post Looking to purchase: Egoiste or Dior Homme, help deciding

I've sampled both, Egoiste on a plane ride home from LA; I loved it and smelled my wrist the whole time home. I also sampled Antaeus on the other wrist, liked it a lot too. I sampled Dior Homme at Neiman's and I liked it, a bit powdery (which isn't bad in my opinion) and more delicate. I have a gift card to Amazon and the prices for both are reasonable, with about a $15 dollar difference. I just can't make up my mind!

My buying factors include:
    1) Smell, of course
    2) Longevity
    3) Complexity/Development
    4) Versatility (seasonal, day/night use, etc)

Any takers?

Default Re: Looking to purchase: Egoiste or Dior Homme, help deciding

Egoiste is your choice.

Once a classic, always a classic.

The beauty part is, it smells like it could have been created yesterday.

It depends on what you are looking for in your next purchase.

Personally I would use Egoiste for a night out, whereas Dior is used day and night, except when it is really hot. The most critical difference of the two for me though is who you wear the cologne for. I see Egoiste is a fragrance to wear ‘for' other people. But, Dior Homme is a personal fragrance for me; I use it only for myself.

I'll second Egoiste.

Both are great scents but I find Egoiste to be far more versatile.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Both are great.

I choose Dior Homme. I find it far more versatile for me. Day or Night, any weather. It is a comfort scent and one of my favorites [Egoiste is too, but Dior Homme is higher on my list]. Both are complex, but I like the development of Dior Homme better. Longevity is fantastic with both.

Sur la Plage

Both are excellent, but if I had to choose one it would be Egoiste. Or better yet, Egoiste Concentree - if you can find it.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 1st October 2008 at 06:07 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Both are great, but they're in totally different categories. Overall Dior Homme is far more versatile, though it isn't nearly as strong and doesn't give off the same sillage. It's more versatile because it's a beautiful scent that can be worn casually or more formally. Egoiste is a classic, but for me it's not office or casual material.... it's strong stuff and only requires light application. They're both pretty complex with respect to development.

I'd vote for Dior Homme if I had to choose.

everything about both has been sain, however, id go for dior

To me Egoiste is more versatile and more to date. I find it happier and more festive also stronger.
    Dior Home is safer and somehow more serious. For every day wear Dior is less noisy and easy.
    Overall if I have to keep one I would chose Egoiste.

I own Egoiste and I want to buy Dior Homme. I findn Dior Homme to be a classic scent - I love it. Egoiste is very nice too - although it is not very versatile (in my opinion).
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Of those two, I vote for Egoiste.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I like both but prefer Egoiste.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Buy both.

I have and love both.

I agree with a previous poster about Egoiste kid of being a fragrance you wear for other people. I feel slightly more spoiled when I wear Dior Homme, that Iris sweetness is gorgeous and although I think it plays close to the skin, I often get complimented on it.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I like both but i like EGOISTE more.

I appreciate dior homme but find its aesthetic too androgynous / "skinny Hedi Slimane model" to wear in public. It's simply incompatible with a slight belly and tweed suits. It does work with my old new wave outfits and holding my breath . In the end I actually prefer Bois d'Iris by The Different Company.

Egoiste is divine and certainly better suited to the gentleman this side of forty, though it works all ages. I think it's intoxicating, one of the finest perfumes out there.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I agree with the_good_life's description of Dior Homme's aesthetics, but maybe you, runstile, are someone who can come to terms with that (I for myself cannot).

You asked for longevity: What bothers me the most is that both scents don't last well on me (same for sillage). They are detectable for approximately two hours before gone. My admiration for Égoïste has significantlly receded since I first smelled it. Only an average fragrance for me.

Just think about Antaeus once more...!

Dior.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Egoiste by a long shot. I don't like Dior
    Last edited by ToughCool; 1st October 2008 at 12:19 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Dior Homme. I own both but reach for Dior 99% of the time.
    Egoiste has a slightly off-putting top note that I don't care for (smells like Crayola crayon to me). Although the drydown is fine, there's just a little to much 'there' there. Dior Homme just smells beautiful and perfectly balanced - aside from the iris note (which I love), my mind doesn't wander like it does with so many other fragrances, trying to pick out individual notes. The only thing on my mind with Dior Homme is "Damn, this smells great!"
    Last edited by Snafoo; 1st October 2008 at 01:30 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Egoiste smells like an awesome smokey pie. I love it.

I'm still trying to figure out Dior Homme's appeal. I know in my review I said it smells like lipstick but I think I must have missed something.

Between the two, I think the most versatile is Dior Homme. Egoiste is a mature office scent in my opinion or a nice dinner/evening out but Dior would be better suited for anytime.

So I say go for the Dior.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Dior Homme. I own both but reach for Dior 99% of the time.
    Egoiste has a slightly off-putting top note that I don't care for (smells like Crayola crayon to me). Although the drydown is fine, there's just a little to much 'there' there. Dior Homme just smells beautiful and perfectly balanced - aside from the iris note (which I love), my mind doesn't wander like it does with so many other fragrances, trying to pick out individual notes. The only thing on my mind with Dior Homme is "Damn, this smells great!"
    This is a great description of Dior Homme... for the sake of full disclosure I'd probably pick Dior Homme as the one fragrance I'd pick if I could only choose one. When I wear as my SoTD I find myself nearly bathing in it.. I think I've used half my bottle in about 5-6 wears... because I reapply heavily. For some reason I just like my skin having that mildly sweet leathery smell. It is very well blended and you really can't pick out 'iris' or 'leather' or 'vetiver'.. it's just all in there to make one great finished product.

Hmmmm. Still a tough choice, I will just have to end up buying both! Right now though, I can find Dior for cheaper, so its probably going to be my choice. I'll have to post my review about it later!

You must go for the Egoiste!! I went to the perfumery today and smelled this one... It`s a masterpiece! Uniqe, sensual and sexy! One of a cind! This one may be my next trial.. Love it! Dior Homme is also good, but Egoiste is... Stylish!...

Dior Homme without a shred of doubt for me...its Sublime...

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Both are great, but they're in totally different categories. Overall Dior Homme is far more versatile, though it isn't nearly as strong and doesn't give off the same sillage. It's more versatile because it's a beautiful scent that can be worn casually or more formally. Egoiste is a classic, but for me it's not office or casual material.... it's strong stuff and only requires light application. They're both pretty complex with respect to development.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I appreciate dior homme but find its aesthetic too androgynous / "skinny Hedi Slimane model" to wear in public. It's simply incompatible with a slight belly and tweed suits. It does work with my old new wave outfits and holding my breath . In the end I actually prefer Bois d'Iris by The Different Company.

Egoiste is divine and certainly better suited to the gentleman this side of forty, though it works all ages. I think it's intoxicating, one of the finest perfumes out there.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Egoiste smells like an awesome smokey pie. I love it.

I'm still trying to figure out Dior Homme's appeal. I know in my review I said it smells like lipstick but I think I must have missed something.

Between the two, I think the most versatile is Dior Homme. Egoiste is a mature office scent in my opinion or a nice dinner/evening out but Dior would be better suited for anytime.

So I say go for the Dior.
    Agree. Maybe not todays lipsticks but when I first smelled Dior Homme I was taken back to the 80's and 90's when my mother used to have some cheap lipsticks around. the smell was identical.

Well, the Dior is on its way. I'm excited!

this shows, no matter how many recommend, a customer buys wht he feels like

i wud say, good choice! ...the only drawback of Dior Homme is..it was not conceived decades back....