Code of Conduct

Exclamation Bertrand Duchaufour and L'Artisan Parfumeur visit The Scent Bar in Los Angeles

Bertrand Duchaufour and L'Artisan Parfumeur visit The Scent Bar in Los Angeles

The Scent Bar, which is the brick-and-mortar manifestation for luckyscent.com in Los Angeles, is ordinarily quiet after its normal closing time of 7pm. But on Thursday, July 10, it was anything but. On that evening, it was playing host to one of the stars of the fragrance world. Bertrand Duchaufour, the renouned French perfumer, and Francois Duquesne, CEO of L'Artisan Parfumeur, had flown into town from Paris for a quick 48-hour consultation with Adam Eastwood and Franco Wright, the proprietors of Lucky Scent. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss details related to the creation of a house fragrance for Lucky Scent. And this first evening was the "teaser" event, where invited guests would be introduced to the indigenous California plants from which choices would be made for the accords which would compose the fragrance.

More...

Default Re: Bertrand Duchaufour and L'Artisan Parfumeur visit The Scent Bar in Los Angeles

Very enjoyable article. I really liked hearing about them smelling the different plants, etc at the bar and on the hike. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it. I'm sure it was a nice event. Cool idea for a shop too.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Bertrand Duchaufour and L'Artisan Parfumeur visit The Scent Bar in Los Angeles

Great article, Astroth. Los Angelinos are very lucky to have something as special as Scent Bar. Unfortunatley we have nothing like that down here in Miami. Im officially jealous.

Very nicely written, Astaroth.

I went to the Scent Bar for the first time last week. It was smaller than I pictured it, but it had a beautifully edited selection of fragrances.

The only thing that gives me pause is that having been through a couple of serious fires in Southern California, I hope the new frag won't be too reminiscent of burning vegetation. That's a smell I'd rather not smell again anytime soon!
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Oh oh! A Luckyscent custom frag would be wonderful (well, I hope). Anticipating that...

Thank you for posting the article!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Blog Entries

Yes, great article, Astaroth. I'm also jealous of such a wonderful niche store, and the good time it's clear that you had. Wow!

I hear you about the "fire odor", BlackCat - there are some scents that are best left as untapped memories. But I have full faith in L'AP (one of my favorite houses) to add no more than the optimal amount of smoky goodness to whatever they come up with.

What a lovely article and great pictures too, Astaroth!

(must remember address for visit to L.A.)

Morning Star

I'm sure Bertrand Duchaufour will do good things with the burned chaparral. He does a great job with everything else, after all. He'll probably use some of it to put some edginess into the fragrance, but I'm sure he won't overdo it. I do know that there will be some burned notes in the fragrance, however.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I do know that there will be some burned notes in the fragrance, however.
    Well, at least he picked the right one of the 4 California seasons. The world doesn't need one more aquatic, and riot and earthquake are best left to Comme des Garçons.

Great article. In college I cared for a large native California garden with a large chapparal section, and the smells....so wonderful. Can't wait for this fragrance.

well done. You really captured the ambience at Scent Bar and s was part of the birth of a possible masterpiece. Seeing Bertrand Duchaufour and how he works with clients to capture the essence of their brand, this is an EXPERIENCE . A Lucky 'scent' for Franco and Adam...

Did you get to smell the juice as a follow up...
    Last edited by memechose; 2nd October 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by memechose View Post
    well done ... Did you get to smell the juice as a follow up...
    Thank you. This was an initial "teaser" evening which introduced people to the accords which will play a part in the fragrance. The actual composition of the fragrance is still being negotiated. There will be a following up event which pushes the creative aspect of the project further, probably fairly soon.

Wonderful article. I'm glad they got to smell the chaparral.

Basenotes Plus

Bravo!
    I've had the pleasure of smelling the result of the collaborative effort of Mr. Duchaufour & the gentlemen of AEDES.
    This project will produce wonderful results, I'm sure of it.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme