Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Tested and Purchased POLO MODERN RESERVE

Sephora shows it available their website. I was going to blind buy but decided to pick it up at their store after sampling.

My wife just LOVED it on me yesterday evening...2 and 1/2 sprays lasted all day...I believe it will be a favorite of hers...
    Last edited by ChuckW; 10th October 2008 at 02:21 AM.

i still need to get some...

This sounds so intriguing, but I'm really having trouble finding it here in New York. I have been to 3 Sephoras with no luck. Likewise for Bloomindale's and Barney's. We don't have Dillard's here and I haven't tried Macy's yet. I did go to the Ralph Lauren flagship store on Madison Avenue and, amazingly, they had never heard of it! The company is based here, so I think it is safe to say that the introduction strategy for this fragrance is puzzling, to say the least.
    Last edited by fool; 10th October 2008 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Left out a word.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    This sounds so intriguing, but I'm really having trouble finding it here in New York. I have been to 3 Sephoras with no luck. Likewise for Bloomindale's and Barney's. We don't have Dillard's here and I haven't tried Macy's yet. I did go the Ralph Lauren flagship store on Madison Avenue and, amazingly, they had never heard of it! [bold added in quote] The company is based here, so I think it is safe to say that the introduction strategy for this fragrance is puzzling, to say the least.
    Wow. I know the fashion business is hectic, but really. The Polo SA's at our RL outlet in Timbuktu are usually brimming with pre-release fragrance knowledge. Three whippings with a bulb atomizer for RLNYC.

Bought it today on first sight, Macy's Long Island. The SAs knew exactly what I wanted, had an open tester, knew that the box was slightly different, even knew the point of it ("Polo for the new generation of Polo wearers" and "it's a lighter more modern version").

This is great stuff, bought with no hesitation. Very reasonable price for a limited release. Also, I just found out it is made by the same guy who did the original 30 yrs ago!

It's lighter, breezier, though not transparent, has some aromatic spices, then a furrier, suede-y texture. At times it resembles Azzaro PH. I like it a lot.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    This sounds so intriguing, but I'm really having trouble finding it here in New York. I have been to 3 Sephoras with no luck. Likewise for Bloomindale's and Barney's. We don't have Dillard's here and I haven't tried Macy's yet. I did go to the Ralph Lauren flagship store on Madison Avenue and, amazingly, they had never heard of it! The company is based here, so I think it is safe to say that the introduction strategy for this fragrance is puzzling, to say the least.
    I found it at Macy's in Huntington. I find it hard to believe that Macy's in Manhattan wouldn't have it.

AromiErotici

I was in Dillard's yesterday to pick up some Gucci II and asked the SA about it. She pointed to a HUGE advertisement I walked by without noticing it. It should be available very soon.

The only samples I was able to get were Gucci and D&G light blue. The Gucci was g2g,but I didn't care for the light blue. It's drydown was just like 50 other designer frags out there.

I am enjoying mine very much!

I found it at Macy's--my SOTD. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I am enjoying mine very much!
    Thursday, before boarding a flight to San Diego I sprayed it once on my chest under my shirt. That incredible smell kept seeping into my nostrils the whole flight, the whole night and I could smell it the next morning. It definitely goes a long way on me..or maybe the chest spray like that was the key.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 17th October 2008 at 12:36 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

UPDATE:

Straight after spraying, if I smell my wrist, I got a sense at the back palate of horse manure! Yes, like an authentic polo field, it is very subtle but definitely there, and goes quite quickly.

I'm really enjoying it, and have already received a few compliments. I love the Azzaro-like fougere greeness, and the suede drydown. After the first blast it sits pretty close to the skin, but in a warm bath 14 hrs later, it opened up again (to me, this is usually a sign of good longevity).
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Thumbs up Re: Tested and Purchased POLO MODERN RESERVE

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I hold the completely opposite view...the initial blast reminds me of Polo Green, then it morphs into Polo Crest for the most part. It's a nice cologne that is what it is...a modern take on a old style men's scent.

There is nothing innovative. It's a throw back to a simpler olfactory time. And honestly, that's kind of refreshing!
    I thought it was only me who thought it smelled like Polo Crest.

It is everything I love about green and with a hint of crest in there. This stuff totally rocks! An instant classic!

I'm curious now.
    Maybe this will be released in Europe soon. I'm gonna look for this at the airport tax free tomorow. (tonight actually)

You guys got me excited.. Really looking forward to the release here.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Default Re: Just TESTED and PURCHASED Polo Modern Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    It really makes me want to stop and just use this and London all Fall and Winter.
    That's funny, I was just thinking the exact same thing!

Wearing it again today. Smells great. The first spray is pure Crest, then the original Polo notes are prominent, then it settles back down into a combo. Three sprays is plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Wearing it again today. Smells great. The first spray is pure Crest, then the original Polo notes are prominent, then it settles back down into a combo. Three sprays is plenty!
    I find it addicting and have been wearing it most days. I agree with your assessment on 3 sprays and how it works. the more I wear this, the more I know a second bottle will be coming in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by olafurson View Post
    That's funny, I was just thinking the exact same thing!
    Yup. Those two will be a majority of my fall and winter.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 17th October 2008 at 01:56 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

From last week's SotW:

Ralph Lauren had its second highest week ever and was led by the new scent Polo Modern Reserve which got five wears as it begins the sampling phase of a new scent.
    I think this one is going to rocket to the top pretty soon, as it gets into all stores and more BNers get a chance to sample it.

I finally bought this.... apparently they had it my local Dillards all along, they just didn't realize it wasn't more Polo stock and never took it out of the box.

I'm only an hour into wearing, so I'll report back with a review later. I have to say, I just sprayed Crest on my other arm to compare, and to my nose they aren't much alike. I've always thought Crest was almost an 'eau fraiche' version of the the original Polo. The Modern Reserve is reminiscent of the original, and clearly shares some notes, but it's very much a new entity. As a new entity it is MILES better than anything else that's been released by major designers lately. I love Infusion d'Homme, but this has a lot more oooomph to it.

If your local department store claims not to have this, ask them to look at the Polo stock.. they just might.

Purchased mine today.....Fantastic.....Gary

Slightly off topic, ok, well off topic, but I can't help but be amused by the marketing. Polo Modern Reserve? WTF does that mean? Modern and Reserve are opposites by my definitions. That's like saying, Modern yet Classic. What's next? Polo Modern Extreme Original Premium Vintage Reserve?

Anyway, I digress...my apologies in advance.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I tried this one today. Yeah, it did remind me a bit of Azzaro pH. My friend and I liked it. This is a really nice one but I cannot justify paying the price that it goes for. I still have many other fragrances that I'm interested in so I don't see the need to drop the money. I hope this stuff makes it to Marshalls like many other Polo fragrances so cheapasses like me can enjoy it with the rest of you.

Ronin, you're not cheap, just prudent! I could use some of your "reserve". My wallet opens too frequently!

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Slightly off topic, ok, well off topic, but I can't help but be amused by the marketing. Polo Modern Reserve? WTF does that mean? Modern and Reserve are opposites by my definitions. That's like saying, Modern yet Classic. What's next? Polo Modern Extreme Original Premium Vintage Reserve?

TNMA
    LOL... I think this is a good point, for sure! In one sense, the are trying to say 'modern yet classic'... it's a new fragrance evocative of a classic. My other interpretation is that 'reserve' in the title is trying to imply 'limited edition'. Don't forget it also has '30th Anniversary' on the box. Taking the '30th anniversary' with 'modern reserve', I think the name is trying to imply 'modernized limited edition version of the classic'.

The Dillard's SA, who didn't even need to try to upsell me, at first gave me the line 'oh this is so much better than the original Polo' while sort of making the 'yuck' face. I pointed out that I wear Polo, to which she backpedaled by saying "well, if you know how to wear Polo it's very nice, but you can't put on too much...."

I still like the original. I just smelled both of my bottles my big 6.7oz of Polo Original and my 4.0oz of Modern Reserve. Though modern has a unique suede note you can mistake the rich rustic notes of the original just sniffing the bottle. YUM Fall In New England!

Basenotes Institution

Tried this today.

I like it! It manages to heighten all of the best parts of the original Polo and diffuses it in a more approachable way. Not boring. Very masculine.

I'm hoping this sells like hotcakes so I can start smelling this all over Miami, instead of some of the horrible fragrances I smell on guys currently.

Personally, if I had to own one, I'd pick the original (lightly applied, it's da bomb!) - but I could easily wear the new one.

I just tried this one today, too! I really enjoyed it, a lot! I was really pleased with the treatment of vetiver and there was a little part of me that thought of L'Occitane Vetyver. Modern Reserve really is what it sets out to be, and I love how successful it is in achieving that intent. I respect the fragrance a great deal.

I really like what you said, JockWithScents about the hazy, vetiver, green wool, dirt, ashtray. Of course, leather too. I get all of that with this fragrance which makes it kind of a surprising addition to the 2008 line-up of new fragrances I think. I mean, who could imagine, with the trend toward lighter fragrances, that Polo would seek to reinterpret the original Polo, which is anything but!
    Last edited by nthny; 19th October 2008 at 03:24 AM.

i was hoping for more vetiver and suede...i still get polo green except on the top where it smells awesome!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

This is already available on fragrancenet.com.

Tested it today...it's pretty good but not distinctive enough from the original (which i own) to warrant a purchase.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It manages to heighten all of the best parts of the original Polo and diffuses it in a more approachable way. Not boring. Very masculine.
    Yes - that's what I thought, too. They managed to get most of the original Polo scent, or an excellent representation of it, into a lighter scent that doesn't smell like they just watered it down. Although I jumped up and said "Crest!" on first sniff, I realized in a minute that it was really just the lighter nature that made me say it. I think this scent really is its own beast - something like a sharp sketch of the original painting - and clearly in a different medium. It's like a sport scent version of the old Polo, but done very, very well.

I would like a bottle, but I think I may cheap out and wait, too. Even though I liked old Green better than Crest, I used to go through the Crest faster because it was more wearable due to being lighter. I think this is probably the same - I would love vintage Polo more, but would wear PMR more often.

Another thing - I get a very faint rubber note in the drydown. I don't know - maybe it's the suede. It's reminiscent of the smoky rubber scent in the old Whammo "Superballs" from the 1960's. I don't get that in the original Polo - that one's more of an honest-to-God smoky scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yes - that's what I thought, too. They managed to get most of the original Polo scent, or an excellent representation of it, into a lighter scent that doesn't smell like they just watered it down. Although I jumped up and said "Crest!" on first sniff, I realized in a minute that it was really just the lighter nature that made me say it. I think this scent really is its own beast - something like a sharp sketch of the original painting - and clearly in a different medium. It's like a sport scent version of the old Polo, but done very, very well.

I would like a bottle, but I think I may cheap out and wait, too. Even though I liked old Green better than Crest, I used to go through the Crest faster because it was more wearable due to being lighter. I think this is probably the same - I would love vintage Polo more, but would wear PMR more often.

Another thing - I get a very faint rubber note in the drydown. I don't know - maybe it's the suede. It's reminiscent of the smoky rubber scent in the old Whammo "Superballs" from the 1960's. I don't get that in the original Polo - that one's more of an honest-to-God smoky scent.
    Glad you enjoyed it RP. I've been wearing it about every other day with Fall type weather here in Houston and I'm loving it and how, like you said, they made it like Polo but a beast all its own. I've had many compliments. I don't get the rubber smell though. Just light suede.
    --Ben Hogan

I tried it today. doesn't smell bad but not my style. But I did pick me up D&G the One, Diamonds, Double Black and L ' Homme.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonleejon View Post
    I tried it today. doesn't smell bad but not my style. But I did pick me up D&G the One, Diamonds, Double Black and L ' Homme.
    We have similar taste in designer scents! I love the One, have Code and Pi Neo (a lot like Diamonds), have Double Black, and also L'Homme.

Saw this one at Macy's yesterday and smelled the atomiser (but not on my skn). While my wife likes these types of woodsy scents, there is something about them that says "old man" to me. Maybe I'll give it a try though, it did seem more reserved than most in the genre.

OK...I'm sold. Today, if I can find it, my husband will get this one as a gift.
    Jill

I found it! I went to Belks, which for this town is a high end store, and ask the SA for it and she said they didn't have it and she had never heard of it. I had written down several frags that I thought I'd like to try or to get for my husband and I showed the list to her and she laughed and told me to put it away. Nobody here had heard of any of them before. Can you believe that? As I was leaving I looked at the Polo they did have, and oddly enough they had 6 bottles of the Modern Reserve. I called the SA back and she couldn't find a bottle of it opened. She said she couldn't open one for me either. So, I bought one anyway because of the reviews here. I immediately opened and sprayed some in my shirt so I could smell how it progressed the rest of the day. It was awesome. My best girl friend (who's going through a divorce) had a hard time being with me because the smell made her "want a man". I had my husband smell it when I got home and he loves it. He's an emergency room physcian so he can't wear anything strong to work, but I told him to put one spray down his t-shirt before he put his scrubs on and it shouldn't be that "loud". He wore it to work tonight and I can't wait to smell how it has progressed on him.
    The next frag I'm looking into for him is Rive Gauche. Any opinions on that one?
    Thanks all for turning us on to Modern Reserve.
    Jill
    Last edited by Jill Merrell; 29th October 2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jill Merrell View Post
    I found it! I went to Belks, which for this town is a high end store, and ask the SA for it and she said they didn't have it and she had never heard of it. I had written down several frags that I thought I'd like to try or to get for my husband and I showed the list to her and she laughed and told me to put it away. Nobody here had heard of any of them before. Can you believe that? As I was leaving I looked at the Polo they did have, and oddly enough they had 6 bottles of the Modern Reserve. I called the SA back and she couldn't find a bottle of it opened. She said she couldn't open one for me either. So, I bought one anyway because of the reviews here. I immediately opened and sprayed some in my shirt so I could smell how it progressed the rest of the day. It was awesome. My best girl friend (who's going through a divorce) had a hard time being with me because the smell made her "want a man". I had my husband smell it when I got home and he loves it. He's an emergency room physcian so he can't wear anything strong to work, but I told him to put one spray down his t-shirt before he put his scrubs on and it shouldn't be that "loud". He wore it to work tonight and I can't wait to smell how it has progressed on him.
    The next frag I'm looking into for him is Rive Gauche. Any opinions on that one?
    Jill
    Your husband is one lucky fella
    Modern Reserve is high on my list of "To Try"s

I own Rive Gauche and its one of the more unique scents that i own... has a nice throwback 70s/80s barbershop vibe going on but done with a modern twist...
    A quick search on the forums will also cement its position as a favourite among BN'ers
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Jill Merrell View Post
    Jill
    Awesome!!Good work. The stuff is awesome and I love wearing it. The squirt down the shirt is perfect. You really can smell it coming up and it lasts ALL day on me. Tell us what he thought. Funny comment by your girlfriend. Unfortunately, I think many people looking for it are going to have the same experience where stores have it but the SAs have no clue that it is different from the others.
    --Ben Hogan

That SA at Belks is a sad excuse. I mean, with this economy, they should be busting their buns to make a sell. That includes opening up a box to make a tester. I mean, C'MON!!

That's so lame. There is such a unwarranted arrogance at these sales counters. Just like Honda and Toyota dealers who think they're selling Bentley's and Rolls'. No wonder some consumers walk up to these sales people and SA's with a chip on their shoulders. It makes you defensive before you even walk in the place.

If you find a dealer that treats you right, stick with them. UGH.

Picked this up over the weekend and am wearing it today.
    First, I really like it. Polo Green was one of my first scents in my late teens early 20's. This 30th anniversary edition is a great update to the original. I agree with most of the previous posters that the top is almost the same as the original but I do get a good amount of the soft cardamom which really helps start this off on a different accord than the original. I have to say that I much, much, much prefer the vetiver/leather heart of Modern Reserve over the vetiver/tobacco of the original. The heart of this just softened to a creamy suede that finally morphed into the classic woodsy base of Polo Green. It is only in the base where I don't detect any difference between Modern Reserve and Green.
    This has been quite the eye opener for me as someone who thought he wouldn't ever wear a Polo again to find one which fits my more mature sensibilites makes me smile.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

I just had to test this one again, so I just bought a sample of it.

Funny how the bottle of the Reserve is so close, to the original bottle. I mean the exact same shape, shade of green, cap, font, weight - everything! Except the name on the bottom, underneath the Polo logo. I can imagine the clueless SA's being really confused, selling this new one.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 29th October 2008 at 03:44 PM.

It's interesting for a designer scent, I will say that. Not sure if I like it or dislike it. It is pleasant. My friend really loved it. Doesn't seem to have longevity troubles either.

I dislike the original polo. The piney notes put me off.

We have similar taste in designer scents! I love the One, have Code and Pi Neo (a lot like Diamonds), have Double Black, and also L'Homme.
    Nice to know that I'm not the only crazy one to love those fragrances on Basenotes. I'll have to definitely check out Pi Neo. Any other good ones that you'd like to suggest? What's your favorite one out of your collection or your top 3?

[Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto] We have similar taste in designer scents! I love the One, have Code and Pi Neo (a lot like Diamonds), have Double Black, and also L'Homme.
    Nice to know that I'm not the only crazy one to love those fragrances on Basenotes. I'll have to definitely check out Pi Neo. Any other good ones that you'd like to suggest? What's your favorite one out of your collection or your top 3 designer fragrances? I've put of trying The One and Double black for the longest time because of the bad reviews given to them,THANK!! LUCA TURIN and Kevin from from another fragrance blog. Kevin's review says The One had a onion note in it, which I never detect, was the main reason I stayed away from it for this long. But I'm glad the SA at Macy's there told me to try it out saying it was her favorite while I was trying out Polo Reserve.
    Last edited by jonleejon; 30th October 2008 at 03:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonleejon View Post
    Nice to know that I'm not the only crazy one to love those fragrances on Basenotes. I'll have to definitely check out Pi Neo. Any other good ones that you'd like to suggest? What's your favorite one out of your collection or your top 3 fragrance in your collection?
    Some other designer frags I have liked for a while are Bulgari Black, Bulgari Aqua Pour Homme, Terre d'Hermès, and Tokyo by Kenzo. I have bottles of all of them.

Three new designer frags that I like are Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme, Kenzo Power, and ESPECIALLY the new Tom Ford Extreme, which I just bottled on. And for citrus, Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne (make sure it's the cologne) is a beautiful albeit not-very-original bergamot.

These 8 frags are bound to include 2 or 3 that you'll love, I'm willing to bet!

I'm happy with my Polo just the way it is but I can understand why this would appeal to many. I think the other perfume houses need to take a lesson from Ralph Lauren. They've created a "reformulated" version of the classic Polo and left the original alone at the same time.

I was so disappointed when I purchased buy first bottle of Antaeus and it smelled nothing like the sample I'd tried and fallen in love with. Wouldn't it be more honest to just discontinue the fragrance and release the reformulated version under a different name?

Funny story. There is a guy who is a friend of my wife that is really into cologne too. We talk all the time and see each other when my wife and I visit with him. Last time we saw him I told him about PMR. So what did he do..while in Chicago he drops some cash on one of the 2500 PMR Special Edition huge bottles with a real gold cap and a real gold cresting on it. I think it is a few hundred dollars. He was so excited he had to call me..lol. He said it was the only one they had to sell.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Funny story. There is a guy who is a friend of my wife that is really into cologne too. We talk all the time and see each other when my wife and I visit with him. Last time we saw him I told him about PMR. So what did he do..while in Chicago he drops some cash on one of the 2500 PMR Special Edition huge bottles with a real gold cap and a real gold cresting on it. I think it is a few hundred dollars. He was so excited he had to call me..lol. He said it was the only one they had to sell.
    This must be in the same vein as the Ralph Lauren 'Love' for the ladies that you can purchase with a jeweled cap and crystal bottle for $2500. Silly...

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Picked this up over the weekend and am wearing it today.
    First, I really like it. Polo Green was one of my first scents in my late teens early 20's. This 30th anniversary edition is a great update to the original. I agree with most of the previous posters that the top is almost the same as the original but I do get a good amount of the soft cardamom which really helps start this off on a different accord than the original. I have to say that I much, much, much prefer the vetiver/leather heart of Modern Reserve over the vetiver/tobacco of the original. The heart of this just softened to a creamy suede that finally morphed into the classic woodsy base of Polo Green. It is only in the base where I don't detect any difference between Modern Reserve and Green.
    This has been quite the eye opener for me as someone who thought he wouldn't ever wear a Polo again to find one which fits my more mature sensibilites makes me smile.
    I agree completely. I was never much a fan of the original - everybody wore it in college and I couldn't stand the overload of spice everywhere. I wasn't going to even try the new version but finally I tried it and since have gone back and tried it two more times. I will pick up a bottle of this soon.

They did a great job of paying tribute to the original while making it modern. The cardamom at the beginning and they dry down really make this a great fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    This must be in the same vein as the Ralph Lauren 'Love' for the ladies that you can purchase with a jeweled cap and crystal bottle for $2500. Silly...
    I think he only spent $250 or something for it. He got it at the Ralph Lauren Restaurant there or something like that. On a side note, he was in town to visit my wife and I and we went to dinner with a group of people. I could tell he was wearing it big time because it was overapplied. He told me it was really strong...I think it was just really sprayed too much..lol.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post

TNMA
    MARKETING CLUSTERF***!
    I am an old marketing guy with years of consumer product marketing experience and I am amused and totally impressed by the mistakes in the marketing of this product release. By piggybacking on the name identity of the original Polo they have an instant market for the product, but they needed to differentiate it enough so that people will know that there is a new product out there at all. The bottle is identical, the name is almost the same, and the identity is indistinguishable from Original Polo fragrance. It is no wonder that the SA and fragrance departments all accross the country don't even realize they have new product in their stores.

It would have made some sense to have called it something like Polo Essence or Polo 2 or something that has some logic with what the fragrance actually smells like. Also, the bottle identity should have been a totally different color, but with similar shape to the original. Differenitate it! A different color such as black glass instead of green and sale associates along with customers would realize this is a new fragrance choice out here. As it is, Modern Reserve is being lost amidst the old worn out original Polo displays. This may actually kill the sales effort of this very good fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    MARKETING CLUSTERF***!
    I am an old marketing guy with years of consumer product marketing experience and I am amused and totally impressed by the mistakes in the marketing of this product release. By piggybacking on the name identity of the original Polo they have an instant market for the product, but they needed to differentiate it enough so that people will know that there is a new product out there at all. The bottle is identical, the name is almost the same, and the identity is indistinguishable from Original Polo fragrance. It is no wonder that the SA and fragrance departments all accross the country don't even realize they have new product in their stores.

It would have made some sense to have called it something like Polo Essence or Polo 2 or something that has some logic with what the fragrance actually smells like. Also, the bottle identity should have been a totally different color, but with similar shape to the original. Differenitate it! A different color such as black glass instead of green and sale associates along with customers would realize this is a new fragrance choice out here. As it is, Modern Reserve is being lost amidst the old worn out original Polo displays. This may actually kill the sales effort of this very good fragrance.
    This is a very good point... my store (and from this thread, many stores) had no idea they had a new product until I started telling them they were supposed to already have it. It was in a box of original Polo bottles they weren't even going to open. There doesn't seem to be any marketing effort at all... I don't read too many popular magazines, but other than the narrow segment that both collects fragrances and still loves Polo, who else really knows it's out there?

Of course, if this really is a limited edition, perhaps they're just letting it stay a hidden commodity.

thanks bbBD aka Ben....for the sample again...=)

Polo Modern Reserve = Bleecker Street - violet note + pine tree
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 23rd December 2008 at 11:16 PM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

bumping this old thread. i am wondering if i should purchase this EDT. i see this fragrance has a lot of positive reviews, but for the most part they dont seem to be "glowing reviews" and most of them seem to be from a nostalgic view of those who liked the original. i dont have any ties to the original and dont even know what it smells like so im curious if i would like this? sounds like a very masculine scent to me, which i dont have much experience with as i do admit i do like a lot of aquatics and florals. what do you think?
    also, is this a scent only guys would like? im not totally interested in impressing males lol

It's not cheap so sampling is a good idea. I'd say that it is not as musky as the original but I think I like the original better (or at least Mustang by Dorall better, which seems to be an excellent "homage"). However, PMR doesn't come across as entirely "natural"' smelling to me, and I'm still trying to figure out why. Also, there seems to be a kind of powdery phase several hours after application. I like this, but it doesn't last long and takes a long time to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by scratch & sniff View Post
    bumping this old thread. i am wondering if i should purchase this EDT. i see this fragrance has a lot of positive reviews, but for the most part they dont seem to be "glowing reviews" and most of them seem to be from a nostalgic view of those who liked the original. i dont have any ties to the original and dont even know what it smells like so im curious if i would like this? sounds like a very masculine scent to me, which i dont have much experience with as i do admit i do like a lot of aquatics and florals. what do you think?
    also, is this a scent only guys would like? im not totally interested in impressing males lol
    It's definitely what I'd consider a "manly" scent. There are a lot of men's frags that would work on women, and this probably isn't one. My wife likes it on me. I must say that it is quite strong, compared to most of its contemporaries.

If you've never tried the original Polo or this, I definitely wouldn't recommend a blind buy. I'm a longtime fan of the old Polo, so I have a point of reference. It is definitely more modern, but still pretty true to the spirit of the original. You need to find a sample.

Personally never cared for the original Polo and thus when I tried this the feeling was the same.