Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Sur la Plage

Default Re: Tested and Purchased POLO MODERN RESERVE

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    I haven't tried it yet, but Sephora has it on their website and maybe their stores. They have a gift set - for $2 more then the the price of the edt ($62.50) you also get a full size after shave and deodorant.
    Sephora has had it on their website for quite some time - but it still shows as "temporarily out of stock".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Sephora has had it on their website for quite some time - but it still shows as "temporarily out of stock".
    Yeah the Sephora in the mall where the Dillards was didn't have it in yet. But it just turned October and this was the month I think I originally read so I'd expect it there anytime!
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

My Dillards will not be getting it in and had idea what I was referring to... of course my local Dillards is always waaaay behind the curve. They just received Gucci by Gucci this week, and on average they get new releases 3-6 weeks after most stores.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    My Dillards will not be getting it in and had idea what I was referring to... of course my local Dillards is always waaaay behind the curve. They just received Gucci by Gucci this week, and on average they get new releases 3-6 weeks after most stores.
    I was actually surprised this Dillards had it. I asked the SA if I could try the Polo Modern Reserve. She had no idea what I was talking about. So I had to point it out to her in the counter.

Then there was no tester, so she said "Well, I guess we just need to make one". She then opened up one of the boxes to let me try it - which was a nice thing to do.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Macys had it today as well.

I asked about it at my Macy's today and they had no clue...
    Current faves: Aventus, ADG Essenza, MFK Masculin Pluriel, Creed Royal Mayfair, TDH Parfum, Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

i called the POLO store in the Houston Galleria...they have no idea when its coming out...

Sephora Friends & Family Sale should be coming up in November. Sounds like it might be a good time to get this (if they have it by then).

I saw this at Macy's today but the SA had no idea what it was and they had no tester. She didn't even realize it was on the shelf and she insisted that it was probably just the same fragrance but in a special bottle. I'd like to try this before buying it.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    Sephora Friends & Family Sale should be coming up in November. Sounds like it might be a good time to get this (if they have it by then).
    I was unaware of this. Is this available for anybody? Thanks.

I was actually surprised this Dillards had it. I asked the SA if I could try the Polo Modern Reserve. She had no idea what I was talking about. So I had to point it out to her in the counter.

Then there was no tester, so she said "Well, I guess we just need to make one". She then opened up one of the boxes to let me try it - which was a nice thing to do.

Same thing happened to me. I'm sure is some instances, the stores that you call on the phone thinks that this is the old POLO. It looks just like the old one, but it says Modern Reserve on top of the box.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    I was unaware of this. Is this available for anybody? Thanks.
    Yes. Every year the have a 20% discount code around the holidays.

I bought 2 bottles of this today. Its that dam good. My beloved Crest finally has a replacement. There is no need for crest now. Modern Reserve is King!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I bought 2 bottles of this today. Its that dam good. My beloved Crest finally has a replacement. There is no need for crest now. Modern Reserve is King!
    Wow! So, at least for some noses, this could be coming in at a point closer to the old Crest! I will definitely give it a whirl. I did not see it ANYWHERE. I'll keep checking.

Modern Reserve is King? Oh-oh, a fight for the throne is coming to Macy's in December!

I am bummed out, I tried modern reserve this weekend and it smelled way to strong on me. I only sprayed a small spritz on my arm and my wife was gagging because it was so powerful. :-(

I was in the New York/Jersey area this weekend just past and went into a few Sephoras looking for the Modern Reserve. None that I went to had it and I was so disappointed. I asked one SA if they knew when it was arriving and he said that not all the Stores got what was online. Who knows when I will smell this now?

Best,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 6th October 2008 at 01:36 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    I was in the New York/Jersey area this weekend just past and went into a few Sephoras looking for the Modern Reserve. None that I went to had it and I was so disappointed. I asked one SA if they knew when it was arriving and he said that not all the Stores got what was online. Who knows when I will smell this now?

Best,

Marvin
    If you have the opportunity, go to Macys. They should have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Glad you had the same reaction as I did. I can't stop wearing it and have had a few comments already. I love it!As I said at the start of the thread I purchased it immediately and could see a second bottle in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    I am bummed out, I tried modern reserve this weekend and it smelled way to strong on me. I only sprayed a small spritz on my arm and my wife was gagging because it was so powerful. :-(
    Really?That is surprising. Then I'm sure the old Polo must be HUGE on you!
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th October 2008 at 01:01 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

If you have the opportunity, go to Macys. They should have it.
    Ok...Thanks the two Macys that I went to did not have it and unfortunately I am back home now but thanks for for the info.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    Ok...Thanks the two Macys that I went to did not have it and unfortunately I am back home now but thanks for for the info.

Best,

Otto
    Or Dillards!That is where I found it. If you have one!
    --Ben Hogan

Dillards in Fayetteville, AR does NOT have this and the SA's don't have a clue about it...they've never heard of it.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Default Re: Just TESTED and PURCHASED Polo Modern Reserve

I tested it today at Dillards. I must say I am completely underwelmed by it. I don't dislike it - it just seems to me like "Polo Light". I was expecting something richer - not just a toned down version of the original. Why bother. Oh that's right, it's 2008 - people don't like rich, deep fragrances......

I think I will stick with the original Polo - and it's a lot cheaper then $62.50. But then again, I am sure Modern Reserve will be $29.99 at Marshalls/TJ Maxx in the near future - right next to the Polo Explorer.
    i agree with the assessment here...this smells different in the initial blast and then wham...polo green!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I hold the completely opposite view...the initial blast reminds me of Polo Green, then it morphs into Polo Crest for the most part. It's a nice cologne that is what it is...a modern take on a old style men's scent.

There is nothing innovative. It's a throw back to a simpler olfactory time. And honestly, that's kind of refreshing!
    Current faves: Aventus, ADG Essenza, MFK Masculin Pluriel, Creed Royal Mayfair, TDH Parfum, Tom Ford Italian Cypress

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I hold the completely opposite view...the initial blast reminds me of Polo Green, then it morphs into Polo Crest for the most part. It's a nice cologne that is what it is...a modern take on a old style men's scent.

There is nothing innovative. It's a throw back to a simpler olfactory time. And honestly, that's kind of refreshing!
    I've worn it now maybe 4 days completely and every day I discover something new. One day, as I said originally, it stays green, then I noticed such a nice suede type drydown that was smooth. Another type i noticed more vetiver type smells. I just think this is classic. I think you just have to wear a few times and to see.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 7th October 2008 at 12:21 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

It just came in to my local Macy's today, so I'm going to go check it out on my lunch. Just the mention of Polo Crest is enough to pique my interest, as Polo Green and Polo Crest were my two mainstays in my younger years. Definitely hope Modern Reserve lives up to the hype!!

Blog Entries

I found a page at Sephora that doesn't work:

Note that it's listed as a limited edition. Is this just a fall flanker? OMG - I hope it gets to cowtown before it's discontinued! (Hmmm. What would they do if it became more popular than the original?)

I bought it yesterday at a Dillard's. I'm wearing it right now. Two hours in, my initial assessment holds. We'll see how it develops. 2 1/2 sprays is plenty.

I will say it's more like Green than Crest at this point, although elements of both are there.

I also bought a 1 OZ spray of Tom Ford Black Orchid for $48 at a Saks Outlet. That'll be my first experiment with a chick scent. If it doesn't work on me, my wife can give it a try. She's easy to please.

I bought a bottle of Polo Reserve yesterday as well at Macy's. I agree that both Polo Crest and Polo Green are present, but I must say the differences between Modern Reserve and Polo Green are very slight, at least to my nose. They both seem to start off almost identically, although Polo Green is much stronger, and as they develop, that's where I find the differences start to come in. I sprayed the backs of my hands this morning, one with Polo Green and the other with Modern Reserve and it's been an interesting progression. I'm five hours into the day, and Modern Reserve is showing the Polo Crest elements that have been discussed, but it also still smells very similar to the original green. I think we'll have to get others to weigh in on this for a final verdict. One thing's for certain though: Modern Reserve is definitely a worthy pick-up if you are/were into Polo Green.

About 5 hours in, the "Crestier" elements are more present on my skin. Still a little of Green, but not as much. I'm very happy with the scent and I believe I will wear it regulary through the Fall and Winter.

I bought this blind from Macy's yesterday and love it. It smells like a mix of the original and Crest. My only problem is longevity, I only get a few hours from 4 sprays. Maybe I should use more. I'm still surprised that both Macy's I went to the SA had no idea that this even existed or that it was different than regular Polo. Then again based on my experience with SA's I shouldnt be surprised.
    Does anyone know how long this will be sold for? I might need to stock up.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!