Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tested and Purchased POLO MODERN RESERVE

1) I know there is a thread on this below and how it is available at Dillards. I know there is one on how it is coming to Sephora. This is dedicated to the scent

Walked into Dillards and there it was. Since I have joined here I have dove into niche and non-niche with wild abandon looking for a scent that says.."buy me" I found it.

Take the original Polo and take away the over the top, heavy initial blast. Just mute it to where you can smell it but it is almost not there and then go straight for the classic Polo green middle and drydown and you have this scent. I am fired up. I purchased it, no questions asked on the spot. The SA thought they were the same but an anniversary bottle. I had her spray both on cards and she was like..."Wow, that is lighter and nice."

So overall, take away the initial beat down of the original spray, throw in a tad more green, keep the original Polo smell. This will be a sought after scent. It is manly and perfect on me right now. It was $62.50 and only came in the 4.0. Just get it
    Last edited by ToughCool; 1st October 2008 at 07:26 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Just TESTED and PURCHASED Polo Modern Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    1) I know there is a thread on this below and how it is available at Dillards. I know there is one on how it is coming to Sephora. this is dedicated to the scent

Walked into Dillards and there it was. Since I have joined here I have dove into niche and non-niche with wild abandon looking for a scent that says.."buy me" I found it.

Take the original Polo and take away the over the top, heavy initial blast. Just mute it to where you can smell it but it is almost not there and then go straight for the classic Polo green middle and drydown and you have this scent. I am fired up. I purchased it, no questions asked on the spot. The SA though they were the same but an anniversary bottle. I had her spray both on cards and she was like..."Wow, that is lighter and nice."

So overall, take away the initial beat down of the original spray, throw in a tad more green, keep the oroginal Polo smell. This will be a sought after scent. It is manly and perfect on me right now. It was $62.50 and only came in the 3.4. Just get it

That is great to hear that you connected with it. I am looking forward to trying this one as well. 4 oz for 62.50; not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    That is great to hear that you connected with it. I am looking forward to trying this one as well. 4 oz for 62.50; not bad at all.
    4.0..yes. I can't imagine anyone not liking this. It took what I didn't like from the original Polo and made it..."modern" and "reserved." Its not "fresh" modern, it is more green but it kept the greatness of Polo. This may be the best work in a bit. It really makes me want to stop and just use this and London all Fall and Winter.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 1st October 2008 at 05:14 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

will it be available only in the US or also overseas????
    I want it I want it I want it.

I'm heading over to my Dillards again to see if they're getting it... otherwise I'll be getting it on my next trip to Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I'm heading over to my Dillards again to see if they're getting it... otherwise I'll be getting it on my next trip to Houston.
    I got this one from the Dillards at Memorial City. They just got it in the other day but it was in the case. You might want to double check with them because they might just be lost considering the package is the same except "Modern Reserve" on it. I think you will love it. Even the drydown has a little dash of more green ans suede but the same great smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    will it be available only in the US or also overseas????
    I want it I want it I want it.
    I'm not sure about this. Sorry I can't help.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 1st October 2008 at 07:27 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Tested and Purchased POLO MODERN RESERVE

Update: We are going on 3 hours here and the scent is still strongly there. The drydown is great. Again, same Polo scent but add a dash more green and a little smoothness of maybe DB..suede type leather..excellent.
    --Ben Hogan

My Dillard's rep had never heard of it. I asked about it today.

I bet I'll find it in Atlanta this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    My Dillard's rep had never heard of it. I asked about it today.

I bet I'll find it in Atlanta this weekend.
    I was surprised they had it. I can see the Dillards at the Galleria but Memorial City in Houston I thought would be behind. Sephora did not have it and was the 1st place I checked so I walked right into Dillards.
    --Ben Hogan

Sounds like the time to get back on the horse.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    4.0..yes. I can't imagine anyone not liking this. It took what I didn't like from the original Polo and made it..."modern" and "reserved." Its not "fresh" modern, it is more green but it kept the greatness of Polo. This may be the best work in a bit. It really makes me want to stop and just use this and London all Fall and Winter.
    I tested it today at Dillards. I must say I am completely underwelmed by it. I don't dislike it - it just seems to me like "Polo Light". I was expecting something richer - not just a toned down version of the original. Why bother. Oh that's right, it's 2008 - people don't like rich, deep fragrances......

I think I will stick with the original Polo - and it's a lot cheaper then $62.50. But then again, I am sure Modern Reserve will be $29.99 at Marshalls/TJ Maxx in the near future - right next to the Polo Explorer.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I tested it today at Dillards. I must say I am completely underwelmed by it. I don't dislike it - it just seems to me like "Polo Light". I was expecting something richer - not just a toned down version of the original. Why bother. Oh that's right, it's 2008 - people don't like rich, deep fragrances......

I think I will stick with the original Polo - and it's a lot cheaper then $62.50. But then again, I am sure Modern Reserve will be $29.99 at Marshalls/TJ Maxx in the near future - right next to the Polo Explorer.
    I figured there would be some that liked the strength of the original and who would be "underwhelmed." I actually find this to be a better match for me and my taste though while keeping the same Polo smell. I do find the drydown to be richer. I also don't feel it is "light" as much as they got rid of that heavy hitting first blast and kept it close to the same. Again, maybe a little greener. I like ait lot better than anything since the original that they put out. This difference in 30 years, in my book, is that many just don't want to be assaulted by scents anymore so this is a way to keep the character of the old and not have it be so in your face.

At least you were the first....I was expected more comments like this since my comments might border on excess hyperbole..lol.

But in all honesty I find this to be closer to the original that I wore as a kid than the high powered stuff they call Polo now. In fact part of me thinks it is some Ralph Lauren inside joke and this was the original and people didn't ever realize that they made the new initial blast with tobacco and gasoline.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 1st October 2008 at 08:38 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Basenotes Institution

Did you guys smell the cardamom in the top notes (a new feature of PMR)?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Not much but its there. I'm not as experienced as catching notes though so, just my opinion.
    --Ben Hogan

I am wearing it right now. have had it on for 30 minutes. My Dillards got it in this afternoon. Wow.
    The reason I am loving it is the vetiver/leather/suede thing big time. There is a hazy buzz of dark green wool with earth, dirt, and almost ashtray. Yes vetiver. I will report back later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I am wearing it right now. have had it on for 30 minutes. My Dillards got it in this afternoon. Wow.
    The reason I am loving it is the vetiver/leather/suede thing big time. There is a hazy buzz of dark green wool with earth, dirt, and almost ashtray. Yes vetiver. I will report back later.
    Glad your liking it. I have it on myself since I had no other scent on and I am loving it.
    --Ben Hogan

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I smelled toned down Polo. Is that what cardamom is supposed to do to it?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I was thinking while at the gym how to describe this one. It has a hazy, muted, buzzy feel to it. I get the same thing from Le Labo Vetiver 46, Rose 31...this feels like Le Labo's take on Polo. The sillage and longevity seem to be there but the loudness and clarity? of the original is now muted and hazy in it's presentation. That is the best I can do for now. I like it, but I have no room for another frag in my wardrobe without selling something. Those damn drobe limitations, they suck!
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 2nd October 2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: spelling

...it just seems to me like "Polo Light". I was expecting something richer - not just a toned down version of the original.
    I think the name "Modern Reserve" - modern and reserved - explains it all. Modern, less toxic, chemicals, and a reserved, less powerful fragrance.

I'm looking forward to trying it.

Blog Entries

I will "reserve" judgment ( ) for a test in the store, which I look forward to. I have mixed feelings about this. I love the classic green, but I just don't feel like wearing it that often. I would probably wear my Crest more often if I was sitting on more than a few mL of it. And Polo Explorer is what I wear when I want to smell nice when I'm working shoulder-to-shoulder, but it's no substitute for the real McCoy. I want to see if this hits a sweet spot.

Perhaps this is RL's answer to those who miss the lighter hand of Polo Crest. I'm wondering if there is any similarity. Old "Cresties" are welcome to state their opinions...
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 2nd October 2008 at 03:56 AM. Reason: judgE not if ye write judgment

I haven't tried it yet, but Sephora has it on their website and maybe their stores. They have a gift set - for $2 more then the the price of the edt ($62.50) you also get a full size after shave and deodorant.

A lighter Polo? Polo is the anti-light king! Seems like a contradiction.

I dont think it will be lighter but rather tamed which is different. If the smell is practically the same but without the explosive opening they have made it perfect. The only problem with Polo classic is it potency , you have to be very carefully with the trigger. There is a guy in my building that wears it, I can track him around the residential complex by following his smell track... in the elevator at the garage , all over the place.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    I haven't tried it yet, but Sephora has it on their website and maybe their stores. They have a gift set - for $2 more then the the price of the edt ($62.50) you also get a full size after shave and deodorant.
    I believe the gift set they are offering is the original polo, not reserve.

Sorry, I just checked and you're right - it's the classic that's available in the gift set.

sad , I went to the Polo stand at the best store and they did not have a clue what I was talking about , it wont be here (spain) any time soon. grrrrr
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by aeromatic View Post
    I think the name "Modern Reserve" - modern and reserved - explains it all. Modern, less toxic, chemicals, and a reserved, less powerful fragrance.

I'm looking forward to trying it.
    Less toxic chemicals - What?????
    Last edited by petruccijc; 2nd October 2008 at 02:27 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I will "reserve" judgment ( ) for a test in the store, which I look forward to. I have mixed feelings about this. I love the classic green, but I just don't feel like wearing it that often. I would probably wear my Crest more often if I was sitting on more than a few mL of it. And Polo Explorer is what I wear when I want to smell nice when I'm working shoulder-to-shoulder, but it's no substitute for the real McCoy. I want to see if this hits a sweet spot.

Perhaps this is RL's answer to those who miss the lighter hand of Polo Crest. I'm wondering if there is any similarity. Old "Cresties" are welcome to state their opinions...
    I don't really get Crest from it (bring that back Ralph!) But if someone wants a lighter/more tamed version of Polo - then this is it. Like I said, I don't dislike it. I just don't personally have a need for it. But to each his own.....
    Last edited by petruccijc; 2nd October 2008 at 04:31 PM.

I really think people need to do a full wearing of this. I find it amazing and so far, as a member I haven't found many ones amazing, no matter how weird, different, niche or whatever they are.

My initial description probably sold it short since it was early in the day. It is more than a lighter Polo to me. The original is definitely is in the forefront but more happens. Plus, again, you miss the overwhelming "Look the hell at me I'm wearing cologne" burst of the original. I wore it all day and am wearing it today. I actually smelled the vetiver that Jock was talking about 30 minutes into this mornings wearing. Last night after a full wearing it was a creamy suede as they said would be there. It was very nice and sexy. The full drydown isn't overwhelming but on the skin..and this was 6-8 hours later. I love the initial light burst that is better than the originals and I like how it seems to change about every 30 minutes on me from the original Polo to something a little more smooth and nice. I've purchased many things since being on here and I'd say 75% of the time the excitement wore off and I took it back or sold it. This one is a keeper in my book. I know my nose ai not as sophisticated as some, this early in the game for me, but a full wearing needs to be done here to really enjoy this.

I know the original is THE classic and I loved it growing up but this is like taking the high school out of the original and making it a little more sophisticated...just my take.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 2nd October 2008 at 02:49 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

I wonder if my Sephora in Augusta has this in store...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    Sephora has had it on their website for quite some time - but it still shows as "temporarily out of stock".

Sephora has had it on their website for quite some time - but it still shows as "temporarily out of stock".
    Yeah the Sephora in the mall where the Dillards was didn't have it in yet. But it just turned October and this was the month I think I originally read so I'd expect it there anytime!
    --Ben Hogan

My Dillards will not be getting it in and had idea what I was referring to... of course my local Dillards is always waaaay behind the curve. They just received Gucci by Gucci this week, and on average they get new releases 3-6 weeks after most stores.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    My Dillards will not be getting it in and had idea what I was referring to... of course my local Dillards is always waaaay behind the curve. They just received Gucci by Gucci this week, and on average they get new releases 3-6 weeks after most stores.
    I was actually surprised this Dillards had it. I asked the SA if I could try the Polo Modern Reserve. She had no idea what I was talking about. So I had to point it out to her in the counter.

Then there was no tester, so she said "Well, I guess we just need to make one". She then opened up one of the boxes to let me try it - which was a nice thing to do.

Macys had it today as well.

I asked about it at my Macy's today and they had no clue...

i called the POLO store in the Houston Galleria...they have no idea when its coming out...

Sephora Friends & Family Sale should be coming up in November. Sounds like it might be a good time to get this (if they have it by then).

I saw this at Macy's today but the SA had no idea what it was and they had no tester. She didn't even realize it was on the shelf and she insisted that it was probably just the same fragrance but in a special bottle. I'd like to try this before buying it.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    Sephora Friends & Family Sale should be coming up in November. Sounds like it might be a good time to get this (if they have it by then).
    I was unaware of this. Is this available for anybody? Thanks.

I was actually surprised this Dillards had it. I asked the SA if I could try the Polo Modern Reserve. She had no idea what I was talking about. So I had to point it out to her in the counter.

Then there was no tester, so she said "Well, I guess we just need to make one". She then opened up one of the boxes to let me try it - which was a nice thing to do.

Same thing happened to me. I'm sure is some instances, the stores that you call on the phone thinks that this is the old POLO. It looks just like the old one, but it says Modern Reserve on top of the box.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    I was unaware of this. Is this available for anybody? Thanks.
    Yes. Every year the have a 20% discount code around the holidays.

I bought 2 bottles of this today. Its that dam good. My beloved Crest finally has a replacement. There is no need for crest now. Modern Reserve is King!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I bought 2 bottles of this today. Its that dam good. My beloved Crest finally has a replacement. There is no need for crest now. Modern Reserve is King!
    Wow! So, at least for some noses, this could be coming in at a point closer to the old Crest! I will definitely give it a whirl. I did not see it ANYWHERE. I'll keep checking.

Modern Reserve is King? Oh-oh, a fight for the throne is coming to Macy's in December!

I am bummed out, I tried modern reserve this weekend and it smelled way to strong on me. I only sprayed a small spritz on my arm and my wife was gagging because it was so powerful. :-(

I was in the New York/Jersey area this weekend just past and went into a few Sephoras looking for the Modern Reserve. None that I went to had it and I was so disappointed. I asked one SA if they knew when it was arriving and he said that not all the Stores got what was online. Who knows when I will smell this now?

Best,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 6th October 2008 at 02:36 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    I was in the New York/Jersey area this weekend just past and went into a few Sephoras looking for the Modern Reserve. None that I went to had it and I was so disappointed. I asked one SA if they knew when it was arriving and he said that not all the Stores got what was online. Who knows when I will smell this now?

Best,

Marvin
    If you have the opportunity, go to Macys. They should have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Glad you had the same reaction as I did. I can't stop wearing it and have had a few comments already. I love it!As I said at the start of the thread I purchased it immediately and could see a second bottle in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    I am bummed out, I tried modern reserve this weekend and it smelled way to strong on me. I only sprayed a small spritz on my arm and my wife was gagging because it was so powerful. :-(
    Really?That is surprising. Then I'm sure the old Polo must be HUGE on you!
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th October 2008 at 02:01 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

If you have the opportunity, go to Macys. They should have it.
    Ok...Thanks the two Macys that I went to did not have it and unfortunately I am back home now but thanks for for the info.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    Ok...Thanks the two Macys that I went to did not have it and unfortunately I am back home now but thanks for for the info.

Best,

Otto
    Or Dillards!That is where I found it. If you have one!
    --Ben Hogan

Dillards in Fayetteville, AR does NOT have this and the SA's don't have a clue about it...they've never heard of it.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

i agree with the assessment here...this smells different in the initial blast and then wham...polo green!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I hold the completely opposite view...the initial blast reminds me of Polo Green, then it morphs into Polo Crest for the most part. It's a nice cologne that is what it is...a modern take on a old style men's scent.

There is nothing innovative. It's a throw back to a simpler olfactory time. And honestly, that's kind of refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I hold the completely opposite view...the initial blast reminds me of Polo Green, then it morphs into Polo Crest for the most part. It's a nice cologne that is what it is...a modern take on a old style men's scent.

There is nothing innovative. It's a throw back to a simpler olfactory time. And honestly, that's kind of refreshing!
    I've worn it now maybe 4 days completely and every day I discover something new. One day, as I said originally, it stays green, then I noticed such a nice suede type drydown that was smooth. Another type i noticed more vetiver type smells. I just think this is classic. I think you just have to wear a few times and to see.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 7th October 2008 at 01:21 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

It just came in to my local Macy's today, so I'm going to go check it out on my lunch. Just the mention of Polo Crest is enough to pique my interest, as Polo Green and Polo Crest were my two mainstays in my younger years. Definitely hope Modern Reserve lives up to the hype!!

Blog Entries

I found a page at Sephora that doesn't work:

Note that it's listed as a limited edition. Is this just a fall flanker? OMG - I hope it gets to cowtown before it's discontinued! (Hmmm. What would they do if it became more popular than the original?)

I bought it yesterday at a Dillard's. I'm wearing it right now. Two hours in, my initial assessment holds. We'll see how it develops. 2 1/2 sprays is plenty.

I will say it's more like Green than Crest at this point, although elements of both are there.

I also bought a 1 OZ spray of Tom Ford Black Orchid for $48 at a Saks Outlet. That'll be my first experiment with a chick scent. If it doesn't work on me, my wife can give it a try. She's easy to please.

I bought a bottle of Polo Reserve yesterday as well at Macy's. I agree that both Polo Crest and Polo Green are present, but I must say the differences between Modern Reserve and Polo Green are very slight, at least to my nose. They both seem to start off almost identically, although Polo Green is much stronger, and as they develop, that's where I find the differences start to come in. I sprayed the backs of my hands this morning, one with Polo Green and the other with Modern Reserve and it's been an interesting progression. I'm five hours into the day, and Modern Reserve is showing the Polo Crest elements that have been discussed, but it also still smells very similar to the original green. I think we'll have to get others to weigh in on this for a final verdict. One thing's for certain though: Modern Reserve is definitely a worthy pick-up if you are/were into Polo Green.

About 5 hours in, the "Crestier" elements are more present on my skin. Still a little of Green, but not as much. I'm very happy with the scent and I believe I will wear it regulary through the Fall and Winter.

I bought this blind from Macy's yesterday and love it. It smells like a mix of the original and Crest. My only problem is longevity, I only get a few hours from 4 sprays. Maybe I should use more. I'm still surprised that both Macy's I went to the SA had no idea that this even existed or that it was different than regular Polo. Then again based on my experience with SA's I shouldnt be surprised.
    Does anyone know how long this will be sold for? I might need to stock up.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!