Code of Conduct

Default Mona di Orio Lux - what a dazzler!

Citrus is a note I appreciate only in really well done frags, and after my third wearing from a large sample--I have to hand it to Lux, it's a gem of a Citrus juice. Light wisps of cedar hide in that glamorously shiny Citrus opening, its too beautiful to describe. Those who've tested it might understand what I'm on about.

I can't detect a whole lot of notes in here so to my nose it appears to be a pretty straightforward fragrance, composition wise. However, once it dries down it's animalic presence is hard, no, make it impossible... impossible to ignore. I'm in love with its this unmistakably animalic drydown which is mischievous rather than raunchy. The fact that I wasn't expecting something quite like this only adds to the pleasure of wearing Lux.

As I wore it I was comparing it to one of my other favorite fragrance from the same family : Frederic Malle's French Lover. Being an ardent incense devotee, I like the incensy drydown of French Lover but I find myself drawn more to Lux's teaser of a drydown. Its almost like foreplay

I'd love to hear about your experience with fragrance, so post away!
    Last edited by Amit; 1st October 2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: stoopid typos

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Re: Mona di Orio Lux - what a dazzler!

Mischievous? Really? I find Lux somewhat elusive at first, then it seems that I always end up settling upon its being rather bookish, somewhat dusty and terribly aloof (albeit gorgeous).

I can only describe it as a (for want of a better description) dusty, powdery lemon -- it always makes me think of old libraries and dusty, expensive books and the like. I can't wear it in warm weather -- at least not very well. How DO you make it work in the sub-tropical heat that is almost omnipresent in Bombay? (Lux always makes me want to slip into a tweed jacket and a pair of well worn corduroys and curl up in front of a nice fire.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 1st October 2008 at 10:19 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Plus

The drydown of LUX is one of the most complex I've ever smelled on my skin. So many people dismiss this fragrance based on the topnotes alone, they never take the time to get to know the scent at all.
    It's a GEM (as you said) & worth the effort.
    I'll wear it again soon & comment in greater detail.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

If I'm not mistaken, litsea cubeba is the "citrus" note in Lux rather than a fruit or peel (litsea cubeba is a grass). I tend to think that Mono di Orio chose litsea cubeba for its incisive, very clear note. Sort of the olfactory equivalent of a spotlight.

RHM, could you elaborate a bit more on the elements identifiable in the drydown?

Basenotes Institution

I think the drydown smells wax-like. Not sure if I like that part of it.

I really prefer Nuit Noire over Lux.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd October 2008 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post

I can only describe it as a (for want of a better description) dusty, powdery lemon -- it always makes me think of old libraries and dusty, expensive books and the like.
    The lemon and some other notes in the opening remind me of Pledge furniture polish. Fortunately, the top notes fade quickly revealing a decadent oriental heart and base. The later phases remind me of rare, expensive woods.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Mischievous? Really? I find Lux somewhat elusive at first, then it seems that I always end up settling upon its being rather bookish, somewhat dusty and terribly aloof (albeit gorgeous).

I can only describe it as a (for want of a better description) dusty, powdery lemon -- it always makes me think of old libraries and dusty, expensive books and the like. I can't wear it in warm weather -- at least not very well. How DO you make it work in the sub-tropical heat that is almost omnipresent in Bombay? (Lux always makes me want to slip into a tweed jacket and a pair of well worn corduroys and curl up in front of a nice fire.)
    Trust me, it works really well in the hot'n'humid weather that we have for 3/4th of the year. I wouldn't call it elusive though.. Moderately sillaged and lasts about 4 hours on my skin per wearing, but its omnipresent and mischievous

I really like the way it's done.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather