Code of Conduct

Default Just got some samples!

I got a few samples from a very awesome basenoter, and wanted to post some thoughts. This will be short, I'll add to it once I wear them out.

Rive Gauche pour Homme: I get an old spice kind of feeling, but without an old spice scent. Reminds me a lot of Azzaro, kind of a barbershop fresh feeling. Its growing on me.

Burberry London: I didn't think I would like something from them more than Brit. I was wrong. AMAZING frag. I havn't tried it on my skin yet tho, so many updates coming for this one.

Guerlain Vetvier: Very different than I expected. Havn't tried it on my skin yet either, but so far I get quite a soapy vibe from it. Nice, but not what I was expecting. I'm looking forward to trying this out further.

And for the finale...

GIT: To all the Creed bashers.. dude... seriously?! This is the first Creed frag I've gotten to try, and I am FLOORED. So fresh and clean, the initial blast literally made me shiver. I'm wearing this one out tomorrow and am seriously looking forward to it.

I honestly was hoping I wouldn't like GIT. For the fact, I can't afford it haha. But my fear came true, and I love this frag. I normally go for sweeter smells, and peppery and woody notes, but GIT is simply wonderful.

Is it worth the price? I'll tell you after I wear it out more tomorrow.

~Rich

Default Re: Just got some samples!

Since you brought up the price issue, I'll "run with it" here. I don't have a problem paying a lot more for a product I think is much better than the competition (if I have the money and have nothing better to do with it). However, when it comes to frags, what got me interested at first is the many reviews here on BN and elsewhere that made the point that there are many, many great and yet incredibly inexpensive frags. I did my own research and bought some "cheapos" out of curiosity. And I learned that this is indeed the case. I now have so many great "cheapos" and some not-so-cheapos that I was able to acquire at very low prices that I can hardly get to each one in the space of a month.

So, to be fair, Creed is not marketed to people like me. These frags seem to be marketed to those who think in terms of "exclusivity," which doesn't bother me. However, I think it's important to point out here on BN that you can have a car that has all the features of the most expensive BMW at Hyundai prices. For example, I am wearing a masterpiece frag right now, Samba Nova for men, that cost me $9 for a 100 ml bottle. This is not a matter of taste. Some may not like Samba Nova, but if you are an aficionado, you have to recognize that is possesses the qualities that one expects in an excellent frag (such as uniqueness, abstraction, a connection to a natural smells, and a sense of "balance" among the notes). For me, the idea of spending $250 on a similar size bottle of a Creed frag makes little sense, because it's not going to fulfill any "gaping hole" in my rotation, even if it's a bit different and a bit "better" than anything I have now. I've got more than enough frags to keep me busy for a long, long time, without ever needing to even acknowledge that there is a frag company called Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post

GIT: To all the Creed bashers.. dude... seriously?! This is the first Creed frag I've gotten to try, and I am FLOORED. So fresh and clean, the initial blast literally made me shiver. I'm wearing this one out tomorrow and am seriously looking forward to it.

I honestly was hoping I wouldn't like GIT. For the fact, I can't afford it haha. But my fear came true, and I love this frag. I normally go for sweeter smells, and peppery and woody notes, but GIT is simply wonderful.

~Rich
    have you tried cool water? it's almost identical

Quote Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post

And for the finale...

~Rich
    My first exposure to GIT was when I went into Parfums Raffy for something else.

I was sampling a bunch of different fragrances, GIT was one. I was instantly floored! I had no knowledge of Creed at all at the time. When I was told how much it cost I wasn't surprised at all.

As far as the Cool Water comparisons, they are similar for about the first 30 minutes. But CW is quite a bit more linear and has nowhere near the dry down as GIT. But it may be worth it to sample CW if you like GIT's opening more than the dry down.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Sur la Plage

Rich,

Sounds like you got some really great samples there - 4 of my favorites. Please let us know your thoughts on them once you get to wear them more. And don't forget to wear the London for Scent Sync day - October 15th!

If you really end up liking the Green Irish Tweed, there are plenty of reputable on-line retailers who sell it for 1/2 or less of the retail price. Also, check the Basenotes Sales Board because sometimes other members will sell partial bottles at very good prices.

Happy sampling!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I will be sure to keep posting updates, and to my nose, GIT smells nothing like CW.

If I do end up getting GIT, it will surely be a partial bottle from a basenoter.

I agree completely about the opening vs the drydown, with GIT it seems that the opening is only about %20 of the show. A stunning frag indeed.

And I will be participating on October 15th now that I have some London to wear!!

Little update. I wore GIT out tonight.

I got quite a few compliments on it as well!!

Thoughts:

Today when I sprayed, I can admit I did get the cool water comparison, but it ended shortly after.
    It seems to have good silage on me, and smelled quite nice all night.

My fiance kept telling me how good I smelled.

Its since faded quite a bit, so on 2 sprays it had good silage and lasted about 6 hours on me.

The only debate I'm having is if I like it enough to make the rather large purchase. I still have a couple more sprays left in the generous sample I received, so I'm going to give it another couple runs before I decide to put the cash down or not, but IMO if you have the funds, its really a can't miss.